• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/chrisperk/status/363011336495579137

Jonathan Martin tripped & fell pulling on drill. Limping but looks ok. Maybe right leg, knee or ankle.
Really guys, it's fine. It'll be fine, I promise. We're good.

https://twitter.com/chrisperk/status/363014915470012416

Olivier Vernon sack of t'hill. Looked like he beat Martin badly.
I SAID EVERYTHING IS FINE.

https://twitter.com/JamesWalkerESPN/status/363014918833848321

rookie DE Dion Jordan just pushed LT Jonathan Martin back a couple yards. Martin has his hands full again with Jordan.
*dies*

brentech

Speaking of pass protection, apparently Fat Eddie is making the right reads and getting to the right spots...he is just wholly unable to actually block anyone. That's troubling as fuck. Cut him now.

If that's his chip block, he won't be our 3rd down back.

So he sucks at all his blocking. Sweet! Franklin is the 3rd down back, huh.
Can we buy Brandon Jackson back yet, fuck.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
oYJ1DoM.png

owW4k0k.png

Severity of the knee injury still unknown right now. SF spends a lot of time in the nickel, Culliver would have LCB while Rogers moved to the slot.

oYJ1DoM.png

owW4k0k.png

Severity of the knee injury still unknown right now. SF spends a lot of time in the nickel, Culliver would have LCB while Rogers moved to the slot.
You guys have like 15 guys sitting out practice today, too right? Niners amazing injury luck might have started to run out.

More on the Cooper story:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/217984331.html

Despite several team leaders speaking out in support of Riley Cooper on Wednesday, there are many Eagles – the majority of them African American – that are having a difficult time accepting the wide receiver’s apology for using a racial slur, according to team sources.

And there was one prominent Eagle that questioned the punishment – Cooper was fined -- handed down by owner Jeffrey Lurie and new coach Chip Kelly.

“I’ll tell you one thing, if it was Andy Reid, he would have gotten more than a fine,” the player said on the condition of anonymity.

“The coaches are saying we should think team first, but this is just crazy,” the player said. “Was he thinking about the team when he said that?”

There's more at the link (which is a pain to copy from) and it talks about a divided locker room. It's inevitable that he'll be released at some point, IMO.

squicken

PR shit-storm to release a guy for a racial slur while employing guys with assualts, DUIs, and federal racketeering convictions. No sympathy for Riley but it's an awful precedent

@HubbuchNYP: Coughlin says Hakeem Nicks’ continued absences are “frustrating”

I had no idea he was hurt

Why exactly did Ireland let Long leave? You guys had the money to re-sign him right?
His play had declined over the past two seasons, lots of durability concerns, and he wanted a ton of money. Ireland also apparently thought Martin's performance in relief of Long during the last stretch of last season was good enough to outweigh the benefits of resigning Long.

I don't think they should have resigned Long, but it's starting to look like they should have tried to address the LT issue some other way. Passing on Lane Johnson in favor of Dion Jordan might come back to bite them.

As far as the vets they looked into I guess Ireland just didn't think any of them were worth it. Maybe he has a lot of misplaced faith in Martin.

But, it's still pretty early in training camp, I don't want to jump to any major conclusions yet.

I'm starting to warm up to the fact that Palmer will be our starting QB this season...there's no way he's worse than Kolb, Anderson, Skeletor, Lindley, Hall and Bartel right....right?

Willis' injury isn't good for us Niners fans.

If you can't put pressure on your wrist, you can't get a good push and you can't get off of your blocks.

His play had declined over the past two seasons, lots of durability concerns, and he wanted a ton of money. Ireland also apparently thought Martin's performance in relief of Long during the last stretch of last season was good enough to outweigh the benefits of resigning Long.

I don't think they should have resigned Long, but it's starting to look like they should have tried to address the LT issue some other way. Passing on Lane Johnson in favor of Dion Jordan might come back to bite them.

As far as the vets they looked into I guess Ireland just didn't think any of them were worth it. Maybe he has a lot of misplaced faith in Martin.

But, it's still pretty early in training camp, I don't want to jump to any major conclusions yet.

Yeah, it's still early.

squicken

I wasn't super enthused with the Long signing. In the whole Moneyball sense it is a good gamble b/c he is a potential franchise LT at the bottom of his value. All about the Drs. If he can't perform it's time to get new medical people/trainers who can better evaluate injuries

He actually took less to go to STL. Football has a sort of inverse "home town discount" where players get offended when their current team doesn't extend them. When MIA lowered it's offer from the previous year, he was never going back

It's not letting Long go that is the problem, it's being so stupid to trade up in a great OL draft and not ensure the franchise QBs safety. Ireland basically flushed another year of everyone's career down the toilet b/c of that decision.

I wasn't super enthused with the Long signing. In the whole Moneyball sense it is a good gamble b/c he is a potential franchise LT at the bottom of his value. All about the Drs. If he can't perform it's time to get new medical people/trainers who can better evaluate injuries

He actually took less to go to STL. Football has a sort of inverse "home town discount" where players get offended when their current team doesn't extend them. When MIA lowered it's offer from the previous year, he was never going back

It's not letting Long go that is the problem, it's being so stupid to trade up in a great OL draft and not ensure the franchise QBs safety. Ireland basically flushed another year of everyone's career down the toilet b/c of that decision.
It's starting to look like you're more right than I wanted to admit, but I still think it's way too early to be making those kinds of proclamations. Let's at least see how the group does in a preseason game or two, you know?

Don't worry, if Tannehill is getting beaten into a bloody pulp every game I'll still be here for you to say I told you so. Also, Ireland will probably be gone at the end of the season if the situation really gets that horrendous.

ChanHuk

Banned
I'm starting to warm up to the fact that Palmer will be our starting QB this season...there's no way he's worse than Kolb, Anderson, Skeletor, Lindley, Hall and Bartel right....right?

Palmer is better than all those QBs, if he can play on half the level that Kurt Warner was playing, Fitzgerald is gonna be off the wall.

Milchjon

I will never say another bad word about baseball
bats.
Some assholes keep stealing bikes in front of our appartment building. Today it seems to have been my turn, but apparently Germany's only baseball player lives in the building and returned from practice right at the moment when they broke the lock.

Of course they fled, and my bike is still shit, but hey.

squicken

Don't worry, if Tannehill is getting beaten into a bloody pulp every game I'll still be here for you to say I told you so. Also, Ireland will probably be gone at the end of the season if the situation really gets that horrendous.

I'm not trolling or hoping I'm right. Just talking football, and in a zero sum game, it's going to be real bad for some teams. My heightened language is really b/c I like Tanny, and have seen Carr and Bradford betrayed by incompetent GMs who didn't understand how to develop QBs. At least Ireland got some WR help, though Twitter says there are some issues with Wallace right now

It's also really hard to hold guys with the club on.
That's what happened to Nick Perry and he went on IR.
His was a wrist injury though.

What will be interesting to know is if it's Willis' wrist or hand.
Reports have been mixed but either way it does not sound good in the least.

My heart is so broken. I can barely take it.

squicken

ESPN's new team-specific bloggers starts tomorrow. Rams in-house blogger is now working for ESPN. So same old no actual insider info. Worst NFL media in the country

jbug617

Banned
Hey Kave, do you think Lombardi will give us a 2nd round pick for Mallet after Weeden fails this year?

Seems like Tebow is going to be #2 QB for the Pats after this season.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Hey Kave, do you think Lombardi will give us a 2nd round pick for Mallet after Weeden fails this year?

Seems like Tebow is going to be #2 QB for the Pats after this season.

You'll be lucky to even get a 5th round pick out of us for Mallet.

Next year we draft the next great QB. Old man Weeden will be our starting QB for the next 2-3 seasons while the new guy learns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom