• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Reading about all the disgusting Dwight Howard stuff reminded me of Reggie White. Nothing will ever top that tour. fwiw I don't care if guys want to be wined and dined, but Dwight is a bum and these guys and their "brands" are so clueless. There's like 2 or 3 players in every sport that eat up all the endorsement money.

Reggie White certainly is getting around these days.

The Eagles' unrestricted free-agent defensive end was courtside last night for the Pistons-Lakers game at the Palace of Auburn Hills, along with Detroit Lions coach Wayne Fontes, chief operating officer Chuck Schmidt and a contingent of Lions personnel.

Detroit is offering him a three- or four-year contract at $3 million a year, the Detroit Free Press reported today.

Earlier in the day, White got the red-carpet treatment in Atlanta, where the Falcons took him to meet Gov. Zell Miller and Georgia's legislators.

"I hadn't expected to be wooed, not only by the coach of the team, but by the politicians also," said White, who got a guided tour of the Capitol from Falcons coach Jerry Glanville.

White sat in Miller's executive chair and had his picture taken with senators. At the podium of the Senate, the 6-5 White towered over Lt. Gov. Pierre Howard.

White is seeking a contract in the neighborhood of $14 million for four years, but he said it will take more than money to persuade him to sign.

"It's a total commitment to winning," White said. "Look, no matter where I go, they're going to pay me. But I'm so hungry for a championship, it's ridiculous."

http://articles.philly.com/1993-03-10/sports/25951319_1_falcons-senators-wayne-fontes

squicken

Who knows computers? I'm in the market for a desktop, but not for gaming. It's for kids/family stuff, so low cost, but not cheap. I haven't bought a desktop in 15 years. Are all in ones a good way to go? I do like sleek looking shit...

Best way to get a PC that is both cost effective and sleek is to build one. Since you won't need a gfx card you can build something incredible small. It won't look as good as Apple stuff, but it will also only be about a third of the price

Are you using this one?

Building one would be ideal but if not buy a basic dell laptop.
It'll last you awhile and theys moderately priced.

Then install Windows XP and tell W8 to catch fade.

Best way to get a PC that is both cost effective and sleek is to build one. Since you won't need a gfx card you can build something incredible small. It won't look as good as Apple stuff, but it will also only be about a third of the price

I wouldn't know where to begin. I know nothing. Where could I start?

I should know these things, as I work in IT, but I don't.

cajunator

Banned
So I have a week of work starting this evening and then vacation until July 20th. By the time I get back, it will almost be football time! So excited.
I hate the offseason.

bionic77

I wouldn't know where to begin. I know nothing. Where could I start?

I should know these things, as I work in IT, but I don't.
I used to recommend Mac Minis but I think since then Apple jacked up the price. And I would not get an iMac for kids. Too much $$$.

Minis are great computers for little kids because you don't need to worry about viruses.

I don't think there is a Windows equivalent. I think that shuttle company makes some nice small cases but whatever GAF will recommend you will be way overboard for little kids who just want to go on Facebook and Disney.

Most people just get their kids a tablet nowadays I think because it is cheaper.

BigAT

Reading about all the disgusting Dwight Howard stuff reminded me of Reggie White. Nothing will ever top that tour. fwiw I don't care if guys want to be wined and dined, but Dwight is a bum and these guys and their "brands" are so clueless. There's like 2 or 3 players in every sport that eat up all the endorsement money.

What basketball team are you going to :squicken to after Dwight signs with the Rockets?

. Is CLE/CIN a rivalry? Pretty sure Browns fans would hate the Ravens above all others

well when Paul Brown got fired he created the Bengals, and didnt even bother to change the colors originally. Its the Battle of Ohio, but i think Bengals fans care more about it then Browns. Last Browns/Bengals game i went to they wouldnt stop talking shit. i really consider every game in the AFC North as a rivalry though. Steelers being the most important for sure, ask any Browns fan in ohio whats the most important week? The answer will be Steelers week, beating the Steelers is like a mini superbowl here.

the order of importance goes like this i think
Steelers
Ravens
Bungles

bionic77

Fuck Dwight Howard.

I really hope the Lakers let him walk and blow this thing the fuck up. We need to start over and not tie ourselves to that overrated bum. Let him go to Houston and lets tank this season for the draft next year. Spend that money on bribing Stern for the first pick instead on Howard.

bionic77

I'm only a team switcher in football. I'll just continue on not watching them since they aren't on TV locally.
No reason to switch teams in football as the season is so short.

I don't allow it in any sport, but it makes the most sense in basketball where a lot of fans just follow players instead of teams.

squicken

Tennessee's not so bad.

I've got nothing against those folks. They wanted a football team and were willing to pay the cost for one. It's like OKC with the Thunder. The team was free to leave, and Seattle didn't want to pay to keep them. Now that they don't have a team, they'll end up spending more to get a new team than it would have been to make the Sonics happy.

I've got nothing against those folks. They wanted a football team and were willing to pay the cost for one. It's like OKC with the Thunder. The team was free to leave, and Seattle didn't want to pay to keep them. Now that they don't have a team, they'll end up spending more to get a new team than it would have been to make the Sonics happy.
Okay, I gotcha. You're more upset about the team leaving, not necessarily where they left to (what I thought you were saying). That definitely sucks, especially if you actually live in the team's city.

squicken

Okay, I gotcha. You're more upset about the team leaving, not necessarily where they left to (what I thought you were saying). That definitely sucks, especially if you actually live in the team's city.

Yeah. I don't get Raiders fans. It's the only team I can think of where the fans followed the team when it moved. BAL fans stopped rooting for the Colts. STL fans never rooted for the AZ Cardinals. Houston didn't root for the Oilers. Same with CLE and the Ravens.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
No reason to switch teams in football as the season is so short.

I don't allow it in any sport, but it makes the most sense in basketball where a lot of fans just follow players instead of teams.

I follow players but I'm also ties down to a terrible bball team.

Still feels bad man.

Fuuuuuuck building a PC. Way too much hassle. Have someone do it for you. Buy a laptop. Buy a tablet. Buy an Ouya. Do anything but build one yourself.

My recent build still won't boot. Dismantling a dell laptop to replace a bad motherboard was literally easier and less time consuming than this $1000 mistake. Too many cables, too many parts, not enough QA. Never again. System on a chip future!

What area of Chicago should I stay in for the Ravens/Bears game this year? Are there hotels near the stadium? Are there things to do near there, or just I just stick to downtown?

MechDX

https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...-stepheson-award-the-best-player-in-football/

So here it is, the winner of the inaugural PFF Dwight Stephenson Award — J.J. Watt.

In case you weren’t watching this season, Watt set about redefining what is possible at the 3-4 end position. People talk about how Lawrence Taylor burst into the league and changed the way people thought about 3-4 outside linebackers. You are witnessing the same thing happening now with Watt. He gave the all-time single-season sack record a close run, finishing with 20.5 sacks and actually getting to the quarterback 25 times this season. That ties him for sixth on the all-time list with L.T. himself. Watt recorded the same number of sacks in a season as one of the better performances from one of the greatest rush threats to ever play the game, and he did it from an interior line position. Make no mistake, that’s exactly where Watt played. Though the Texans moved him around, they kept him inside most of the time, with just 6.9% of his snaps coming on the edge in a four-man line.

However, Watt wasn’t just about the sacks. He batted down 15 passes on the season. The next best mark over the past five years of play is the 10 Johnny Jolly recorded in 2009. What about his play against the run? His tackles in the run game this season totaled 11 yards of gain for the offense. When Watt made a tackle in the run game the back averaged 0.16 yards, and it’s not like he was missing many tackles either, allowing just two to get away from him. He made a ridiculous 72 defensive stops, 18 better than the next best player at his position, who in turn was 13 clear of the chasing pack.

Watt became the first player to ever top 100 grading points in a single season at any position, ending the year with a farcical looking +101.7 grade on 958 snaps. This time last season we anointed Justin Smith the second-best player in football, and one of the most dominant defenders in the league, with a grade of +46.5 on the season. Watt more than doubled that, and this time last year we would have told you that there wasn’t much room for a player to be better than Smith. J.J. Watt is completely re-writing what we thought was possible from his position. We are witnessing something very special, and, if nothing else, we have witnessed the first winner of this award in action.

Value be damned. J.J. Watt was the best player in football this season. That earns him the Dwight Stephenson Award.

Every time I read a write up on Watt's stats I am just in awe. They kid is fucking awesome!

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot

Texans were #1 in the league in Time of Possession as well. Which means Watt was on the field LESS than everyone else. Damn!

squicken

https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...-stepheson-award-the-best-player-in-football/

Every time I read a write up on Watt's stats I am just in awe. They kid is fucking awesome!

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot

Texans were #1 in the league in Time of Possession as well. Which means Watt was on the field LESS than everyone else. Damn!

They really need either Reed or Mercilus to step up this year. As awesome as Watt is, by the end of the year it felt like if he didn't make a play then no one else would

MechDX

They really need either Reed or Mercilus to step up this year. As awesome as Watt is, by the end of the year it felt like if he didn't make a play then no one else would

Because no one else would. Losing Cushing hurt a lot more than anyone, including myself, realized. Reed is sliding inside so he wont be a factor on the outside. My biggest concern for this season is the OLB.

Barwin is gone and needed to be. He completely disappeared last season and was the ring leader in the team losing its focus IMO. That leaves Mercilus, 2nd year Bryan Brahman and two rookies, Sam Montgomery and Trevardo Williams, at OLB. I trust Wade a ton but the lack of experience at OLB petrifies me. If the production isn't there I can see Wade playing a TON of nickel and bringing Swearinger up like a LB and blitzing a ton.

Talon

What area of Chicago should I stay in for the Ravens/Bears game this year? Are there hotels near the stadium? Are there things to do near there, or just I just stick to downtown?
So the downtown area is the business district (the loop). North of the Loop in River North and Gold Coast will fit your crowd (30+ adults). The Loop itself is dead in the PM and weekends, outside of theaters and such.

You can go a little further north to Old Town where it gets younger. The city is very sprawling, as you know, so the neighborhoods like Bucktown, Lincoln Park, and Wrigleyville fit a bit of a younger crowd. West Loop is a great area to go out as well, think of it as the Meatpacking District circa 2001.

The stadium is secluded to the southeast part of the downtown area, next to the museum campuses. You won't want to stay there. I would stay somewhere on North Wacker near Michigan Avenue or up in River North.

Stay the hell away from Navy Pier.

Shoot me a PM when you get close, and I'd be more than happy to help you with restaurant recommendations, places to see, etc.

I don't think Watt is going to have another season like that. Not because he can't; he's going to start thinking he's carrying too much of the load and scale it back.

Fantomex

Don't forget about JJ Watts new kicks. Thugs all over are cancelling their Jordans pre orders to cop 2 pairs of these!

Screen-Shot-2013-05-24-at-12.36.32-PM.png

squicken

Because no one else would. Losing Cushing hurt a lot more than anyone, including myself, realized. Reed is sliding inside so he wont be a factor on the outside. My biggest concern for this season is the OLB.

Barwin is gone and needed to be. He completely disappeared last season and was the ring leader in the team losing its focus IMO. That leaves Mercilus, 2nd year Bryan Brahman and two rookies, Sam Montgomery and Trevardo Williams, at OLB. I trust Wade a ton but the lack of experience at OLB petrifies me. If the production isn't there I can see Wade playing a TON of nickel and bringing Swearinger up like a LB and blitzing a ton.

Forgot about Reed going inside. Is Braman going to play a lot? I remember LZ saying a few times that he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed and was struggling to learn the defense, but was fine on ST.

100% agree that Barwin needed to go. Should have been suspended for those stupid lettermen jackets

I thought Coughlin was going to rip Matt Dodge's head off that day. UGH...

At least it paved the way for the Weatherford signing.

I never understood why he was so mad at dodge. You knew Dodge wasn't very good and THEN ELEVEN GUYS COULDN'T MAKE A TACKLE. I guess there needed to be a fall man.

MechDX

Forgot about Reed going inside. Is Braman going to play a lot? I remember LZ saying a few times that he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed and was struggling to learn the defense, but was fine on ST.

100% agree that Barwin needed to go. Should have been suspended for those stupid lettermen jackets

If Braman doesn't play who will? Really wished they would have went after a veteran OLB in the offseason. I'm sure they will be watching for the cuts that will come after TC but that is not really reassuring.

Reed can also still drop to the outside often since most of Wades sets call for one ILB (Cushing) anyway. Someone on 610 talked about this and how it could be a really advantageous match up for Wades D. Lining Reed up inside but while the cadence is being called and can drop outside. Never know when or if he is coming.

squicken

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/deep-pass-troubles

Football Outsiders looked at Christian Ponder's struggle with the deep ball and discovered a guy who also struggled that you wouldn't expect

Then, the fourth name that surprised me, because it appeared twice, was Josh Freeman. I will admit that I have not watched a lot of Freeman -- NFC South games not involving the Saints or Falcons have not been appointment viewing for a while and the Bucs last year did not play the NFC North (which I was watching to prepare for the book) or AFC South (which I watch as a Houston fan). The last game I charted that involved Tampa Bay was when they played the Texans during Raheem Morris' 2011 march to see just how much quitting it would take to forever ruin his coaching reputation. You can see why I'd want to discount that as a subjective indicator of Freeman's talent. In 2012, with the addition of Vincent Jackson, Freeman's DVOA on deep passes went up to 53.5%.

So, I thought I'd dig in to the numbers to see if I could find some objective thing that Josh Freeman was especially good at. It turns out, in this case, that the numbers and the eyeball test say the same thing. The only thing consistent about Freeman -- other than the fact that his DVOA is usually above average when he is under pressure -- is his inconsistency.

Outside of Jackson coming in last year, there hasn't much turnover in Freeman's offense. Mike Williams, Arrelious Benn, and Kellen Winslow were constants in 2010 and 2011. Winslow declined heavily and Dallas Clark wasn't the answer -- is Freeman's large drop in Short DVOA since 2010 all because he has no tight end? Williams said that part of the problem in 2012 was that receivers didn't know when to break their routes off. Is that something that gets fixed?

That's the kind of straw-grasping that Freeman's advanced stats leave you to make. When he's been below average in DVOA, he's been below average on all downs. When he's above average in DVOA, he's above average on all downs. His red-zone DVOA follows a rollercoaster pattern (which is true for most quarterbacks, to be honest). I know we have a few hardcore Bucs fans here. What theories do you have about what has happened to Freeman since 2010?

Based on what I've seen and researched of him, I can see why head coach and haircut watch-setter Greg Schiano is peeing down both legs when it comes to Freeman. It's been four years, and Freeman's main trait as a quarterback is that nobody knows what to expect him to be in four years.

I never understood why he was so mad at dodge. You knew Dodge wasn't very good and THEN ELEVEN GUYS COULDN'T MAKE A TACKLE. I guess there needed to be a fall man.
That game was over before Dodge ever took the field. I've been saying it since it happened. Blaming Dodge entirely for that game is lazy. Blame the defense. They might as well have stayed on the bench the last 8 minutes considering how they played. They gave up 4 touchdowns in that time span. Inexcusable.

...but yeah, Dodge was an adventure. A few of us Giants fans mentioned more than once that special teams would cost us a few games (I predicted 3) that year during pre-season. They came through more often than not. Muffed punts, dropped punts, butterfingers during returns. Also, one of the worst starting positions in the league for the offense in 2010. Awful, awful special teams unit.

BigAT

Coughlin told Dodge very explicitly to kick it out of bounds. Dodge took that under consideration, then kicked it directly to Jackson.

Talon

Freeman had one great season when he did a fantastic job of not turning the ball over.

The weird thing is, I can sort of explain 2011's absurdly high totals because they were down so often, but last year in the last 10 or so weeks, Josh just threw some stupid, stupid balls. Just balls a QB has no business chucking up there. See: the Saints game in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom