• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coughlin told Dodge very explicitly to kick it out of bounds. Dodge took that under consideration, they kicked it right to Jackson.
Yeah but Coughlin more than anyone knew that Dodge couldn't kick directionally to save his life. With Dodge it was either an almost dropped snap into a 20 yard punt or it was a line drive down the field. It was fucking maddening! Especially coming off of Jeff Feagles of all people.

Bless you, based Weatherford!

eznark

Banned
Coughlin told Dodge very explicitly to kick it out of bounds. Dodge took that under consideration, then kicked it directly to Jackson.

Guy seemed real soft. Probably tried to kick it out of bounds but Coughlin yelling at him caused his sphincter to release. The puddle of shit in his sock then spun the ball in an unfortunate direction.

Really, it's all Tom's fault.

That game was over before Dodge ever took the field. I've been saying it since it happened. Blaming Dodge entirely for that game is lazy. Blame the defense. They might as well have stayed on the bench the last 8 minutes considering how they played. They gave up 4 touchdowns in that time span. Inexcusable.

...but yeah, Dodge was an adventure. A few of us Giants fans mentioned more than once that special teams would cost us a few games (I predicted 3) that year during pre-season. They came through more often than not. Muffed punts, dropped punts, butterfingers during returns. Also, one of the worst starting positions in the league for the offense in 2010. Awful, awful special teams unit.

Coughlin told Dodge very explicitly to kick it out of bounds. Dodge took that under consideration, then kicked it directly to Jackson.

But we all knew Dodge sucked. Coughlin knew something like this had to happen. It was just primed to happen. A bad punter and a returner who was on fire? Might as well go spike it in the endzone yourself.

Guy seemed real soft. Probably tried to kick it out of bounds but Coughlin yelling at him caused his sphincter to release. The puddle of shit in his sock then spun the ball in an unfortunate direction.
Totally changes my perception of the punt. That mental image will be there from now on.

BigAT

JlKBZko.jpg

squicken

Freeman had one great season when he did a fantastic job of not turning the ball over.

The weird thing is, I can sort of explain 2011's absurdly high totals because they were down so often, but last year in the last 10 or so weeks, Josh just threw some stupid, stupid balls. Just balls a QB has no business chucking up there. See: the Saints game in particular.

He looked so good in that game versus the Giants. Really accurate throws and seemingly good decisions. But he melted down at the end of the year. He's interesting I guess b/c like the author says, he flashes lots of skill but also maddening inconsistency

Also, one of the worst starting positions in the league for the offense in 2010. Awful, awful special teams unit.

You know I was looking at that recently. Like which teams get a short field frequently, and expected points given starting field position. SF averaged starting field position was the best in the league at their 33, which is an EP of almost 1 point. Conversely the Saints were the worst, starting at their 25. That's like .61 EP

I've never really read anything on year to year volatility, and the best teams at starting field position is kind of a hodge-podge, but the worst teams are almost all bad defenses that don't force turnovers. It's hard to imagine the Saints defense being worse, and that offense already scored a lot of points. Getting Payton back, I really think they are going to be good next year. As much as we mock Brees and his stat-whoring, he might be the second best QB in football

http://www.pro-football-reference.c...=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=

You know I was looking at that recently. Like which teams get a short field frequently, and expected points given starting field position. SF averaged starting field position was the best in the league at their 33, which is an EP of almost 1 point. Conversely the Saints were the worst, starting at their 25. That's like .61 EP

I've never really read anything on year to year volatility, and the best teams at starting field position is kind of a hodge-podge, but the worst teams are almost all bad defenses that don't force turnovers. It's hard to imagine the Saints defense being worse, and that offense already scored a lot of points. Getting Payton back, I really think they are going to be good next year. As much as we mock Brees and his stat-whoring, he might be the second best QB in football

http://www.pro-football-reference.c...=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=

Pretty scary how good Brees, Brady and Godgers would be if they actually had a team around them

squicken

Tebow+bar fight?

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-76533671/

Tim Tebow tried to stop Aaron Hernandez from getting into a violent bar fight in 2007 while both were football players at the University of Florida, according to Gainesville police records.

Hernandez, then a 17-year-old freshman, punched a bouncer in the head causing a broken ear drum on April 28, 2007, according to the police report.

When a police officer could not find Hernandez at the scene of the altercation around 1 a.m., the report states he interviewed Tebow about it.

The report stated the following:

A waitress at The Swamp bar allegedly brought Hernandez two "alcoholic drinks," which he consumed but refused to pay for. That's when Hernandez got into a fight with a bouncer at the bar.

Hernandez told police [bouncer Michael] Taphorn got in his face and began yelling at him. As Taphorn turned to walk away, Hernandez punched him in the side of the head.

Taphorn declined medical treatment but the next day doctors discovered his right ear drum had burst and the injury would take four to six weeks to heal.

When the officer could not find Hernandez immediately following the incident, he interviewed Tebow and Shaun Young.

“Tebow stated that he witnessed the dispute,” the officer wrote. “… Tebow stated that he went over to try to help resolve the conflict.”

Tebow went on to say he urged Hernandez to leave peacefully and tried to make arrangements to pay the bill.

Two hours later, another officer found Hernandez and spoke with him about the incident. Tebow was present during the interview.

The officer wrote Hernandez did not appear to be intoxicated and was, “very polite and professional.”

Hernandez told the officer both he and Tebow had already called then-UF football coach Urban Meyer and informed him about the incident.

A day later, the investigating officer told Hernandez’s attorney, Huntley Johnson, he would not be pursuing charges in connection with alcohol served to minors at the restaurant, but he wrote, “it would be noted in the report so the coaches could handle it internally.”

Gainesville police recommended Hernandez be charged with a felony, but it is unclear how the case was resolved because all of Hernandez’s other juvenile records are sealed. However, Hernandez still end up punching the bouncer.

Tebow developed a close bond with Hernandez early in his career with the Gators, hosting Hernandez during his official visit before signing to play for the Gators.

Good old Urban Meyer

Jaguars to broadcast live RedZone on in-stadium video boards during games

That sounds like a fantasy player's dream come true but its funny that Jags fans don't even want to watch their own team in the stadium.

It's no coincidence that the last time Brees actually had a defense
, they won the Super Bowl.

Redzone is amazing

Everything the Pats have ever won has an asterisk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPRCAb56JSo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Freeman had one great season when he did a fantastic job of not turning the ball over.

The weird thing is, I can sort of explain 2011's absurdly high totals because they were down so often, but last year in the last 10 or so weeks, Josh just threw some stupid, stupid balls. Just balls a QB has no business chucking up there. See: the Saints game in particular.

Was that the year Olson was OC and you went 10-6?

Draxal

That game was over before Dodge ever took the field. I've been saying it since it happened. Blaming Dodge entirely for that game is lazy. Blame the defense. They might as well have stayed on the bench the last 8 minutes considering how they played. They gave up 4 touchdowns in that time span. Inexcusable.

...but yeah, Dodge was an adventure. A few of us Giants fans mentioned more than once that special teams would cost us a few games (I predicted 3) that year during pre-season. They came through more often than not. Muffed punts, dropped punts, butterfingers during returns. Also, one of the worst starting positions in the league for the offense in 2010. Awful, awful special teams unit.

Yeah, I honestly think the Aaron Ross blitz where he just lost contain on Vick was the most horrific play in that game (also the one touchdown to the tight end was really brutal).

Also, the fact that the giants had like 2 yards of offense in that 8 minutes, really left me with zero confidence of winning that game even before the Dodge punt.

What the fuck do you mean by "you?"

Olson was also the OC when he threw 22 INT. :jnc

Ah, my bad, thought you were a Bucs fans since you were talking about Freeman without mentioning Taco Bell.

I thought the Bucs had at least one good year with Olson, still not sold that he's gonna be much of an upgrade over Knapp, but the players seem to like him so far.

Talon

Ah, my bad, thought you were a Bucs fans since you were talking about Freeman without mentioning Taco Bell.

I thought the Bucs had at least one good year with Olson, still not sold that he's gonna be much of an upgrade over Knapp, but the players seem to like him so far.
A wet brown paper bag would be an improvement over Greg Knapp.

Cruz/Giants deal imminent...

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gi...e-receiver-and-team-may-be-close-to-extension

Victor Cruz has talked about getting a big-money contract extension from the Giants ever since his breakout 2011 season. And now, in the summer of 2013, it appears he may be close to getting that deal.

“Good things come to those who wait.” Cruz tweeted late Monday night.

Paired with a late-night report from ESPN, Cruz’s tweet provides a strong indication that Cruz’s lengthy standoff with his hometown team may finally be nearing its end. According to ESPN, the parameters of a new deal are in place, and while contract language still needs to be finalized, the deal should be in place by the start of training camp.

July 26th is the start of training camp. Cruz wouldn't have signed the tender if they weren't close, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom