• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABEE

I've been very clear about my views on Stafford. I even criticized his throwing motion and bad decision making earlier today.

That doesn't make him horrible, though. Middle of the road in the NFL right now? Probably.
I would have him around 12 or 13 on my list.

rando14

I've been very clear about my views on Stafford. I even criticized his throwing motion and bad decision making earlier today.

That doesn't make him horrible, though. Middle of the road in the NFL right now? Probably.

This is reasonable.

Wilson, Luck, Kaep, and RG3 are all better than Stafford.
No they're not, and the stats say otherwise. They just happen to play in bigger markets and get more attention. When they perform two seasons in a row like Stafford has then maybe we can have this discusssion.

This is not.

squicken

It's a very unflattering stat, but I really put that more on Shortz. He's such an awful coach, and his team melts down in big situations. Not just the QB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Blqx_0d7NKM#at=123

SFW SFW KAP NAKED VIDEO!

af4ad382b8e69bb14dcb26b3cf128716_large

Stafford isn't too bad, it's the kasperbole that brings out the hate. But honestly I'd take Tannehill over Stafford, and can you imagine Tannehill throwing to Megatron? My goodness, that would be like, the Greatest Show on Turf or something.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Stafford is what 1-23 against teams with a winning record. Dat "IT" factor

I don't know if you're including his first two seasons in that stat. Again as a rookie QB, at 20 years old you can't expect the dude to lead us to a Superbowl after an 0-16 season.

However our 2011 season saw us beating numerous 8-8 teams, which was a season with a ton of .500 teams. We beat the Bears who were 8-8, we beat the Cowboys who were 8-8 and a playoff team, we beat the Chargers who were an 8-8 team, and we decimated the Tebow led Broncos 45-3.

That very same year even though we beat the 8-8 Chargers, and 8-8 Broncos. Our 4-0 record against the AFC West that record helped the Broncos make the playoffs where Tebow, with the help of God would make on of the greatest plays in NFL history against the Steelers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zuUIhv8z3M

RBH

Denver Broncos president Joe Ellis said the team has been humiliated with recent drunken driving charges against Matt Russell and Tom Heckert, the top two assistants to football operations boss John Elway. Ellis promised severe discipline.

"This type of behavior is inexcusable, unacceptable and completely embarrassing," Ellis told The Denver Post. "It's embarrassing for us as a franchise, it's embarrassing for Mr. (Pat) Bowlen, it's especially embarrassing for our fans. We don't tolerate it and we're not going to."

Ellis added: "My expectation is the discipline will be severe."
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23628585/another-broncos-exec-facing-dui-charges-tom-heckert

I don't know if you're including his first two seasons in that stat. Again as a rookie QB, at 20 years old you can't expect the dude to lead us to a Superbowl after an 0-16 season.

However our 2011 season saw us beating numerous 8-8 teams, which was a season with a ton of .500 teams. We beat the Bears who were 8-8, we beat the Cowboys who were 8-8 and a playoff team, we beat the Chargers who were an 8-8 team, and we decimated the Tebow led Broncos 45-3.

That very same year even though we beat the 8-8 Chargers, and 8-8 Broncos. Our 4-0 record against the AFC West that record helped the Broncos make the playoffs where Tebow, with the help of God would make on of the greatest plays in NFL history against the Steelers:

You're right. It's totally not fair to include that rookie season. He was coming onto an absolute garbage team, so let's toss that right out the door. In fact, let's even dump his next season, as well. The second year for any quarterback is a rough period, filled with growing pains and, in some cases, weight gains. 1-16 against teams with a winning record is much better.

Not really true.

His stats are inflated more because they don't have a running game. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he ends up throwing 70 times in a game.

I would have him around 12 or 13 on my list.

Truth here. He's in my top half of the league for sure but not top 10. Not yet. He needs to actually prove himself capable of being as good as Flacco, Ryan, et al before I consider putting him in the top 10. He tries to force too many throws into spots they shouldn't be (triple coverage on Megatron? OK! *throws INT*) and as Plink pointed out, the Lions have had NO RUN GAME since James fucking Stewart was the starter. And that was for one season.

Noticed last season how the Lions had some semblance of a red zone run offense? (Not much of one, but they could actually run the ball into the end zone every once in a while.) Stafford's TD numbers plummeted because he wasn't having to sling it on 3rd and goal as much.

I have zero idea how he's going to be this season. It depends a lot on whether or not he's learned how to not scramble all over the place in the pocket AND make good throwing decisions for once. And if Reggie Bush is whatever they think he could possibly be (I'm not expecting miracles).

But on the bright side, Lions-GAF ... remember when folks said Mark Sanchez was the best QB from the '09 draft and clearly a better choice than Stafford? :jnbuttfumble

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Guys I just went out for wings after my baseball game and talked to a dude who doesn't believe in global warming because there's no facts to prove it but meanwhile explains what's going on by probably some issues in the universe we don't even know about yet like some super nova or some shit.

The Cowboys were not a playoff team in 2011.

ChanHuk

Banned

If we're quite honest, the only way you guys beat the 2011 Raiders was because of our idiot defensive coordinator. Who the hell sticks that convict Solondo McLame on all-world WR Megatron?

but the stat is what it is. if you want to compile a stat that says "record against teams that are .500 or better" then that's fine

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
For laughs:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/matthew-stafford?id=79860#profiles-tabs:players-analysis

Matthew Stafford analysis said:
Negatives: Can get fundamentally lazy. Though he has an efficient overall release, should be able to speed it up for underneath screens passes to take better advantage of the surprise to the defense. Sloppy footwork at times and will get lazy and throw off his back foot. Willing to throw into tight spots, though more often than not he places the ball where it needs to be. Good, but not great accuracy on crossing routes. Too often leads his receivers too far or forces them to reach back, slowing their momentum and limiting their ability to generate yardage after the catch. Lacks the straight-line speed to be a true scrambling threat. Often stays too high on quarterback sneaks. Needs to get lower and show more leg drive in these situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom