• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT4| Fingers Crossed for a Homicide-Free July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
No pants helps cooling down even faster, but it's less swaggertastic.

Also, for science: Red heads, Brunnettes or Blondes?

Redheads on TV? Yes. Real-life? Can't find those quality.

Brunettes for me, especially because I prefer Latin women. Too bad I'm awash in blondes here in the South.

squicken

Dog-on-a-jetski_large.gif

Why Trent Richardson’s 3.6 YPC average does not matter

Fox318

No, he took an 0-16 team, turned our offense into one of the most explosive and a playoff team in 2011, and for the reasons I stated the 2012 season fell apart. Things like that happen in the NFL. One year you're on top of the world, the next year injuries and bad luck will decimate your team.

It doesn't change the fact we have the best 25 under QB in the league, with one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL. Add in Reggie Bush who will make defense respect our running game, and a healthy WR corp and our Top 5 offense has the potential to be the best offense in the league.

I know its scary for Packers fans to contemplate, but get used to it.

Best 25 under qb?

You mean captain clutch sanchize?

MechDX

JJ Watt ‏@JJWatt 8 Jul
I'm going to do a contest to hang out with me for a day. No cameras, no media, just you & I. We'll workout, run, eat, study, etc. Y'all in?
Expand
BOxpnXBCcAA6_Qk.jpg

JJ Watt ‏@JJWatt 12h
Help yourself by helping others. Contest details are here. #JJ4aDay pic.twitter.com/t9bhyAGRWd

I would love to win this but then I would have to be "kind" to someone.Either way JJ is just awesome.

bionic77

Redheads on TV? Yes. Real-life? Can't find those quality.

Brunettes for me, especially because I prefer Latin women. Too bad I'm awash in blondes here in the South.
I have not really met many hot red heads in real life, but I never really care about a girls hair or skin color. If you are hot you are hot.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Going back to Stafford, I really don't think the record argument is 100% applicable here.

The Lions' defense and special teams have been horrible over the past few years. Stafford isn't responsible for that. They easily had the one of the (if not the) worst secondaries in the league during his first two years. Opposing receivers were catching TDs without a Lions defender within 10 yards of him. Without a running game, Stafford was pretty much the only guy putting up points and to keep up he almost had to score a TD every drive. No QB can do that. Plus, the offensive line has been horrible.

As I said before, I think Stafford is middle-of-the-road in the NFL--I'd put him around #12 or #13. But I believe that "bad record" argument is a bit unfair.

Tom Penny

Pat Statford is not entirely to blame for the bad record but Rodgers and Brady had winning records while having historically bad passing defenses and bad defenses overall. Rodgers also knows about not having a running game.

Pat Statford is not entirely to blame for the bad record but Rodgers and Brady had winning records while having historically bad passing defenses and bad defenses overall. Rodgers also knows about not having a running game.
Also, Andrew Luck.

I see where you're coming from Plinko, and you're right to some degree, but at the end of the day QB is the most important position on the field and they are the biggest difference maker. The great QB's can elevate an otherwise bad team to above average or an average team to excellent. I agree with where you'd rank Stafford for the most part though, although I might drop him down a few more spots. Once we see how 2012's rookie QB class handles their second year we'll know a lot more about how to rank all the starters.

eznark

Banned
Put Megatron with any other QB and that QB is immediately top 10. Stafford manages to still generally suck.

Trash tier fat ass being carried by an all time great.

Colasante

Put Megatron with any other QB and that QB is immediately top 10. Stafford manages to still generally suck.

The Lions' front office was put it an unenviable situation because of Stafford's previous insane contract. I guess that taking all of the variables into consideration, the Stafford extension was the most sensible course of action. Since the extension is only until 2017, it might be prudent for them to invest a reasonably high draft pick in a young QB that can learn behind Stafford and be an insurance policy incase Stafford doesn't become the QB they need to him to be in the next three years.

The Rams are in much the same position as the Lions, having a 'franchise' QB scheduled to make a large amount of money without having won anything for the team, but Stafford's 2011 gave him an advantage in negotiations that Sam Bradford's poor performance, whether it was his fault or not, does not afford him. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rams do what the Lions weren't willing to do and move away from Bradford.

Smokey

Not schaub.

Andre isn't that far behind him and schaub has held him back quite a bit

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Except that's a one-off situation. Having to deal with one is fine. Stafford has to deal with every other aspect of his team being terrible.

Also, Andrew Luck.

I see where you're coming from Plinko, and you're right to some degree, but at the end of the day QB is the most important position on the field and they are the biggest difference maker. The great QB's can elevate an otherwise bad team to above average or an average team to excellent. I agree with where you'd rank Stafford for the most part though, although I might drop him down a few more spots. Once we see how 2012's rookie QB class handles their second year we'll know a lot more about how to rank all the starters.

I agree. That's why I never said he was great--just average to slightly above average.

BigAT

Going back to Stafford, I really don't think the record argument is 100% applicable here.

The Lions' defense and special teams have been horrible over the past few years. Stafford isn't responsible for that. They easily had the one of the (if not the) worst secondaries in the league during his first two years. Opposing receivers were catching TDs without a Lions defender within 10 yards of him. Without a running game, Stafford was pretty much the only guy putting up points and to keep up he almost had to score a TD every drive. No QB can do that. Plus, the offensive line has been horrible.

As I said before, I think Stafford is middle-of-the-road in the NFL--I'd put him around #12 or #13. But I believe that "bad record" argument is a bit unfair.

Not going to disagree with your assessment of the Lions' defense, but Detroit's offense was still in the bottom half of the league last year (PPG). It's not like they were some elite squad on one side of the football that was completely dragged down by the other two phases of the game.

Plus, an awful defense should actually result in more PPG for an offense than they would normally score in a vacuum. More possessions and more opportunities to score, especially if you have a terrible secondary that allows quick strike scores as you described. This seems to play out, as Detroit was 3rd in offensive TOP last year despite being a pass-first team. Yet they were still in the bottom half of the league offensively.

RBH

Jaguars owner Shad Khan is apparently taking his commitment to the London market seriously.

According to the Daily Mail, Khan is in talks to purchase the English Premier League soccer club Fulham, a transaction which could cost him more than $200 million.

The report says Khan could complete the deal by the end of this week for the soccer team, which would make him the third NFL owner to own a team in England’s top division (along with the Glazers of Tampa Bay, who own Manchester United, and Rams owner Stan Kroenke, who owns Arsenal).

The Jaguars have already worked to create a presence in London, playing a game a year at Wembley Stadium for the next four seasons.

Not going to disagree with your assessment of the Lions' defense, but Detroit's offense was still in the bottom half of the league last year (PPG). It's not like they were some elite squad on one side of the football that was completely dragged down by the other two phases of the game.

Plus, an awful defense should actually result in more PPG for an offense than they would normally score in a vacuum. More possessions and more opportunities to score, especially if you have a terrible secondary that allows quick strike scores as you described. This seems to play out, as Detroit was 3rd in offensive TOP last year despite being a pass-first team. Yet they were still in the bottom half of the league offensively.
Wait a second... are you telling me the winner of a football game is determined by points scored as opposed to yards passing?

Kaaaaaaas! Why did you lead me astray!?

bionic77

The Jags are clearly owned by iaepetus.

Also there is so much debate on Fatford. I honestly have not seen enough of him to judge one way or the other. I think though that Ben is the only fat slob qb in the entire history of the NFL to be a winner. I am going to hold that he is the exception to the rule until some other fatty can prove otherwise. You can't really compare anyone to Ben though. He does everything wrong and yet it works more often than not for him and his team.

Since joining the league, The Sanchize has fumbled the ball 43 times of which he lost 20 balls.

In the same period of time :

Brady: 15 fumbles, lost 5
Godgers: 23 fumbles, lost 9
Fatford : 17 fumbles, lost 7 (But was injured a lot, so missed games)
Flacco : 37 fumbles, lost 16
Fat Ben : 28 fumbles, lost 14
Eli : 33 fumbles, lost 18
Drew Breez: 25 fumbles, lost 10

Colasante

Since joining the league, The Sanchize has fumbled the ball 43 times of which he lost 20 balls.

As awful as Sanchez has been, I'm not going to be surprised when he becomes the backup QB in Seattle come 2014 and Pete Carroll manages to put his career back on track. He has the basic skillset to be a better QB than he's shown in the NFL.

As awful as Sanchez has been, I'm not going to be surprised when he becomes the backup QB in Seattle come 2014 and Pete Carroll manages to put his career back on track. He has the basic skillset to be a better QB than he's shown in the NFL.
Is sitting on the bench as a backup for the rest of your career really getting your career back on track after you've played in two AFC Championship games?

bionic77

These guys seem pretty fortunate. Especially Tammy, she is not even close to losing even half of her fumbles.

And :lol @ Flacco.

Colasante

Is sitting on the bench as a backup for the rest of your career really getting your career back on track after you've played in two AFC Championship games?

Perhaps. I'm sure a lot of former QBs envied Mark Brunell's ability to stay in the league for as long as he did, even if it was only as a backup. No doubt Sanchez has fallen off a cliff since 2011, but his downward trajectory has occurred with such quickness and force I'm sure he'd be happy for any stabilization that allows him to stay in the league in his post-Jets career.

Does the whole "I'm going to have a contest and the winner gets the privelage of hanging out with me" come across as douchey to anyone else?
I can see where it would as it could come across as having a level of self-importance that's off-putting but his heart seems to be in the right place and the fact that he specifically mentions no media (i.e. doesn't seem like some big publicity stunt) earns some good will.

squicken

These guys seem pretty fortunate. Especially Tammy, she is not even close to losing even half of her fumbles.

And :lol @ Flacco.

Fumbled snaps by QBs are recovered more often by the offense than other fumbles. Fumbles on sacks are recovered more often by the defense. w/o knowing the source of Dutch's numberw, I'm guessing it includes all fumbles. So it would seem Ben has some bad luck on those

http://www.footballperspective.com/the-definitive-analysis-of-offensive-fumbles/

The Lions' front office was put it an unenviable situation because of Stafford's previous insane contract. I guess that taking all of the variables into consideration, the Stafford extension was the most sensible course of action. Since the extension is only until 2017, it might be prudent for them to invest a reasonably high draft pick in a young QB that can learn behind Stafford and be an insurance policy incase Stafford doesn't become the QB they need to him to be in the next three years.

The Rams are in much the same position as the Lions, having a 'franchise' QB scheduled to make a large amount of money without having won anything for the team, but Stafford's 2011 gave him an advantage in negotiations that Sam Bradford's poor performance, whether it was his fault or not, does not afford him. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rams do what the Lions weren't willing to do and move away from Bradford.

Bradford has three years left on his deal, and after this year none are guaranteed. They've gone through the "bad" part of the contract already. The Lions had to move b/c they needed cap relief. The Rams don't.

Really, the big thing is that the Lions fucked their cap b/c they drafted Megatron while the Rams drafted Jason Smith. Each team had three top 2 picks, just the Rams busted one of theirs so he isn't on the books anymore.

bionic77

Fumbled snaps by QBs are recovered more often by the offense than other fumbles. Fumbles on sacks are recovered more often by the defense. w/o knowing the source of Dutch's numberw, I'm guessing it includes all fumbles. So it would seem Ben has some bad luck on those

http://www.footballperspective.com/the-definitive-analysis-of-offensive-fumbles/

Bradford has three years left on his deal, and after this year none are guaranteed. They've gone through the "bad" part of the contract already. The Lions had to move b/c they needed cap relief. The Rams don't.

Really, the big thing is that the Lions fucked their cap b/c they drafted Megatron while the Rams drafted Jason Smith. Each team had three top 2 picks, just the Rams busted one of theirs so he isn't on the books anymore.
Considering Ben is on pace to be the most sacked qb of all time I think his fumble rate is remarkably low.

When you get hit that often no matter how strong and masculine you are, sometimes the ball will come out.

squicken

Barnwell has the Lions as his 2012 bad team most likely to rebound in 2013

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9459928/which-losing-nfl-teams-poised-make-playoffs

Arguments in favor: Underperformed Pythagorean expectation, awful record in close games, faced difficult schedule, fumble recovery rate, turnover differential

Arguments against: Top-heavy team only one injury away from disaster, difficult division

The probable comeback crown belongs to the Lions, who have just about every statistical indicator tracking in their favor. Their 4-12 season saw them produce the point differential of a 6.5-win team while going 3-8 in one-touchdown games. They had the league's third-worst turnover margin at minus-16, likely owing to their defense recovering just six fumbles last year. (Their recovery rate of 32.6 percent was the second-worst in the league.) They've also dumped return man Stefan Logan, who muffed six times last year and somehow took a knee on the 4-yard line. Remember: Sometimes, competency is enough.

Detroit's a scary team to back because they're perpetually running a high-wire act. If one false move puts Matthew Stafford, Calvin Johnson, or Ndamukong Suh on the sideline for any length of time, the team is basically toast. If those guys stay healthy, though, the baseline talent here should be enough to get the Lions past .500 and have them approach the playoffs for the second time in three seasons.

Talon

Megatron's the most physically gifted receiver in football for sure.

I will give Reggie Ball credit for forcing him to do absurd moves like this:
calvin-johnson-the-catch-o.gif

squicken

Megatron's the most physically gifted receiver in football for sure.

I will give Reggie Ball credit for forcing him to do absurd moves like this:
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/3031414/calvin-johnson-the-catch-o.gif[/IG][/QUOTE]

How that school with that offense ended up with he and Demaryius Thomas is nuts. The rich alumni at Georgia really dropped the ball big time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom