• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinluck

My God, True Detective is awesome. I always feel like the straight dude has the tougher role to play in these shows. It's easier I think to pull off a weirdo than it is the "normal" dude. We know what normal is, so we know when it looks wrong. The Rust character, how would we even know what is authentic?

rust is fucking awesome.

he is suspect most of the time, but awesome.

Nameless

Man, eznark got sniped? These are dark times.

we-are-going-to-die.gif

sp6MkmA.png

Previously, in NFL-GAF Prison Chronicles:

NFL-GAF Prison part 1.
NFL-GAF Prison part 2.
NFL-GAF Prison part 3.
NFL-GAF Prison part 4.
NFL-GAF Prison part 5.
NFL-GAF Prison part 6.
NFL-GAF Prison part 7.

As always, click on any image to get the full res screenshot.

Reminder - For anyone wanting to see the master list of who's in the game, who needs more in-depth prison bios, and info on how to get your name on the list or more info for your character, go to this post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96106213&postcount=15013

And as always, all images and posts are being archived here: https://xianaphryz.imgur.com

These are great. Got a nice laugh out if it. Nice job!

squicken

5 Teams trending up, 5 teams trending down

A couple surprise teams on the rise; Browns and Dolphins

e: Sam

But he is still a tweener: too small for defensive end and too inexperienced for outside linebacker. The obstacles facing the NFL's first openly gay player are difficult to anticipate. But we know the obstacles that face tweeners in this league. Life is hard for tweeners, unless they have 4.5 speed or the agility of a samurai (Sam has neither), regardless of their personal lives.

You are going to read a lot of articles speculating about how coming out of the closet will affect Sam's draft stock. This is not one of those articles. You don't need anyone else's hand-wringing equivocations of the "some teams will think he is a potential distraction, others will not" variety, because you live on planet Earth and know how these things go.

You will read a lot of articles hailing Sam's groundbreaking decisions to come out of the closet, first to his teammates at Missouri at the beginning of this season, then to the world via interviews leading up to next week's Scouting Combine. This is also not one of those articles, because you are well aware that ground is being broken, and you are thrilled, outraged, or too self-actualized to worry about a defensive lineman's sexual orientation. (If you are the third thing, please take the rest of us with you.)

http://www.sportsonearth.com/articl...e-for-coming-out-but-hes-not-a-top-draft-pick

RBH

5 Teams trending up, 5 teams trending down

A couple surprise teams on the rise; Browns and Dolphins

Trending Down: New Orleans Saints

Bad News: Aging roster, awful cap situation.
Good News: Coach enthusiasm, franchise quarterback

The Saints are about $12 million over the salary cap, have the oldest offensive roster in the NFL and are almost certain to either lose their brightest young offensive star to free agency or alienate him with salary cap politics. Any questions?
19_04_2013fgf4_128_14_.gif

squicken

haha RBH. Hope you ATL folks are getting ready for the icy fun

GM For A Day: Atlanta Falcons

The Atlanta Falcons went from the cusp of a Super Bowl trip to the cusp of the first overall pick in roughly the time it takes for the paints to blend at Home Depot, where team owner Arthur Blank made his fortune. Injuries to key players, a lack of depth, and awful play on both lines were the main culprits in torpedoing the season. So the line of scrimmage, where most games are won and lost, needs to receive the primary offseason attention.

There are multiple pathways for improvement in Flowery Branch. The team is in a tricky spot, at the moment anyway, when it comes to the draft. The team could desperately use either defensive end Jadaveon Clowney or left tackle Jake Matthews, but with three quarterbacks projected for top-five status, that means the Falcons would have to trade up to grab either one. The best thing that could happen over the next few months is for Derek Carr to continue to impress scouts and vault into the top five as well, pushing one of the linemen down.

As it stands now, Tradin' Thomas Dimitroff would probably need to deal up once again. Since a lack of depth badly hurt the team this season, they are probably a bit gun-shy about dealing away yet more picks. But there should be plenty of cap space to play with in restocking the empty lines via free agency, so swapping a couple of day two picks, one this year and one next, to move up a spot or two and grab Clowney (if he's there) is possible. Making the Julio Jones-esque mega-move to get up to ensure Clowney is probably a non-starter.

xnipx

I just find it disgusting that the first thing that comes to many people's minds is to devalue his accomplishments as a player to justify if his stock happens to fall after the announcement.

As if the idea of people thinking less of him as a player due to this decision is out of this world impossible.

Talon

Well, here's the thing, he was never going to be a first or second round pick. He was a mid-to-late pick...always.

Sams is actually taller than I thought he was. I didn't see too much of him, but he had a good game against Georgia - although the entire Mizzou line looked like the '09 Giants against Georgia. Didn't see overwhelming athleticism from him, just a lot of motor and good pursuit on plays.

squicken

I just find it disgusting that the first thing that comes to many people's minds is to devalue his accomplishments as a player to justify if his stock happens to fall after the announcement.

As if the idea of people thinking less of him as a player due to this decision is out of this world impossible.

?

Good college player, not a great NFL prospect. He's a project. Barrett Jones was like a 3 time National Champion at Bama with a bunch of awards, but he was also a project. Rams drafted him and he's a long way from being an NFL player. Bad body type and lacks muscle. The NFL is for the 1% of the 1% of the 1% of football players

Best thing I can do is to talk about him like I would any other prospect. I didn't want Sam last week and I don't want him today.

I don't think anybody thinks less of him as a player or is devaluing his comments. We just like football, and we're to see curious how this affects things from a football perspective. At least that's the impression I got from the comments.

squicken

Can Dmitroff get out of this with job intact? Falcons seem 3-4 years away from contending again. Blank seems patient but...

Normally I don't you fire a coach of GM if the window closes. If they are good at their jobs you let them try and get the team to the next window. But with the Falcons, it just didn't seem like it was long enough/close enough. I think they need a good bounce back year

Talon

Can Dmitroff get out of this with job intact? Falcons seem 3-4 years away from contending again. Blank seems patient but...
I don't see how anyone can look at this roster and think they're 3-4 years away from contending. That's Dolphins/Bills level.

Strong, deep position groups:
DB - CBs were the silver lining this season, S-wise: Decoud had a down year
WR

Deep, mediocre position groups:
RB
DE

Strong starter, thin depth position groups:
QB
LB

Weak, thin position groups:
OL
TE

DT - TBD since both Babs and Peters are FA

The team needs at least two new starters at OL and DL. The great thing about getting a LT is that you could slide Baker over to RT, which improves the line substantially...for 8-10 games.

xnipx

?

Good college player, not a great NFL prospect. He's a project. Barrett Jones was like a 3 time National Champion at Bama with a bunch of awards, but he was also a project. Rams drafted him and he's a long way from being an NFL player. Bad body type and lacks muscle. The NFL is for the 1% of the 1% of the 1% of football players

Best thing I can do is to talk about him like I would any other prospect. I didn't want Sam last week and I don't want him today.

I don't think anybody thinks less of him as a player or is devaluing his comments. We just like football, and we're to see curious how this affects things from a football perspective. At least that's the impression I got from the comments.

My point is that even as a tweener he is a highly decorated collegiate athlete. Why is the first thing that comes to many people's minds to say he would have dropped to the 4th or 5th round anyway to somehow justify it like he hasn't been billed as a first 3 round kinda guy this whole time?

Talon

My point is that even as a tweener he is a highly decorated collegiate athlete. Why is the first thing that comes to many people's minds to say he would have dropped to the 4th or 5th round anyway to somehow justify it like he hasn't been billed as a first 3 round kinda guy this whole time?
He was never billed as a 1st or 2nd round guy.

He's been identified as a 3rd rounder at best since the middle of the season. Hell, he was completely off the board before this season. That's what happens when you have 3 years of meh performance and then one big year as a senior.

Draxal

Its because people were seeing CoSEC Def Player of the Year. It's The SEC SEC SEC, He obviously must be a first rounder.

I mean the same thing happened to Tebow, and his lack of sexual preference.

BigAT

The number of highly decorated collegiate players that have been absolutely awful NFL prospects is endless. It really doesn't matter what a guy did in college if he doesn't project well to the NFL. Jason White won the Heisman then went undrafted and never saw a single snap in the NFL.

There are so many inaccuracies with that Steelers trend I don't know where to begin.

First, the Ben/Haley thing was so six months ago. It's an easy thing to harp on so writers keep bringing it up. Second, Ike isn't going to be a casualty. There is zero depth behind him - if any high priced veteran gets cut, it's Lamarr Woodley. Third, Timmons has been worth every red cent - dude broke his hand like 8 weeks in and didn't miss a snap. His teammates didn't even realize it until after the game.

jakncoke

Banned
Another thing I find funny someone compared him to Robert Mathis, the same Robert Mathis that had a 20 sack senior season and the same one drafted in the 5th round 138th pick. Being the SEC dpoy isnt going to shoot him up the draft boards lol, awards mean fuck all

I don't see how anyone can look at this roster and think they're 3-4 years away from contending. That's Dolphins/Bills level.

Strong, deep position groups:
DB - CBs were the silver lining this season, S-wise: Decoud had a down year
WR

Deep, mediocre position groups:
RB
DE

Strong starter, thin depth position groups:
QB
LB

Weak, thin position groups:
OL
TE

DT - TBD since both Babs and Peters are FA

The team needs at least two new starters at OL and DL. The great thing about getting a LT is that you could slide Baker over to RT, which improves the line substantially...for 8-10 games.

You don't think thin and mediocre O and D lines will take time to replenish?

Talon

You don't think thin and mediocre O and D lines will take time to replenish?
Did you not read what I said? There's depth at the D-end spot, rotational depth that can be good in spells but needs a star. Basically, the status quo for the last 8 years with Kearney -> Abe.

DT is TBA. Peters and Babs are good players. They're good starters in this league, but neither are in the vein of, say, Rod Coleman during his prime but those guys are rare.

The offensive line is about two pieces away - and will be seriously bolstered if Baker can be moved to RT plus we don't know what we have with MJ since he was hurt before the start of the season. One LT and one guard will make a world of a difference on this team. MJ can play guard as well, so a new look offensive line with Matthews Blalock Fuckall Johnson Baker would be a solar system away from Holmes Blalock Hasley Reynolds/Konz Trueblood/Schraeder

A 3-4 year project is a rebuild routine. That's starting from the ground floor. This is a retooling with most of the pieces together. Especially since we actually have money to sign a good starter in FA.

JABEE

RIP eznark

I can't believe so many of our long-time members are getting hit this off season. It's almost like the team has an itchy trigger finger when it comes to the guys in here.

Next, we're going to see Squicken get hit or something. How the Hell could this happen?

Greg

You saw what Bionic got banned for right? Don't venture out of the community dungeon.
it's nice and comfy here in the dungeon!

I still don't get it though... bannings seem more 'what offends me personally' than things that actually break the rules

Another thing I find funny someone compared him to Robert Mathis, the same Robert Mathis that had a 20 sack senior season and the same one drafted in the 5th round 138th pick. Being the SEC dpoy isnt going to shoot him up the draft boards lol, awards mean fuck all
the NFL was racist then

yeah, that must be it

Milchjon

Honestly, if Coldplay actually got banned for saying "America sucks", that's definitely the worst ban of the three. The other two went into "dangerous" threads and posted in an at least slightly contrarian way. Can always fall flat on your face with that.

jakncoke

Banned
it's nice and comfy here in the dungeon!

I still don't get it though... bannings seem more 'what offends me personally' than things that actually break the rules

the NFL was racist then

yeah, that must be it

Hasnt it always been like that though.

As we're discussing bans and our own getting capped off. I thought for sure a particular post was going to to get a ban giving the climate of neogaf the past 3 months . Was in the america falling behind internet thread , post was "what isnt america falling behind, besides school shootings" never did fall. I was surprised as hell

Honestly, if Coldplay actually got banned for saying "America sucks", that's definitely the worst ban of the three. The other two went into "dangerous" threads and posted in an at least slightly contrarian way. Can always fall flat on your face with that.

He did for 2 weeks

Did you not read what I said? There's depth at the D-end spot, rotational depth that can be good in spells but needs a star. Basically, the status quo for the last 8 years with Kearney -> Abe.

DT is TBA. Peters and Babs are good players. They're good starters in this league, but neither are in the vein of, say, Rod Coleman during his prime but those guys are rare.

The offensive line is about two pieces away - and will be seriously bolstered if Baker can be moved to RT plus we don't know what we have with MJ since he was hurt before the start of the season. One LT and one guard will make a world of a difference on this team.

A 3-4 year project is a rebuild routine. That's starting from the ground floor. This is a retooling with most of the pieces together.
I'm using your words. You said the O line had no talent and was thin, and the d line talent while deep, was mediocre. IMO that's going to take time to rebuild. If you think a year or two, rock on.

Greg

that's why I love everything

Talon

I'm using your words. You said the O line had no talent and was thin, and the d line talent while deep, was mediocre. IMO that's going to take time to rebuild. If you think a year or two, rock on.
I said weak, not no talent. And, again, you ignore the DT TBA portion - that's why I split it out into DE and DT.

Here's the thing: neither line group has to be great for this team to compete.

In fact, both groups were average (offensive line) and sort of good (defensive line - mostly because Abe and Peters), and we managed to make it to the NFCCG two years ago.

Between the two of them, we just need one of them to be good to compete in the conference with the offensive weapons on the outside and the young depth we've scrounged up in the last two seasons on the backside of the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom