• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
easiestschedulenfl2014_zps831c804e.png

Lol Next Season is going to be a real test for Oakland.

cdyhybrid

Sherm isn't getting anywhere near QB money. He's not even the most important guy on the D.

Discussion time boyos.

Is it possible to win after paying a QB big bucks? Seems it cripples more teams than it helps.

Yes, but it's harder. You have to nail the draft and make savvy free-agent acquisitions.

Edit: Westside is where the big boy football is played according to that SoS ranking!

I still think the most important thing is hitting on and developing late round picks. QB doesn't prevent that. You can't fill every roster slot with star FAs and high picks. Need a lot of luck on the injury front, no matter if the players are young or old. But I think you pay star QBs $20m. But not Cutler/Flacco QBs

How possible is that though? When you're paying a franchise QB you can't afford to keep those diamonds in the rough.

GM philosophy massively changes after a team gels. Suddenly talent isn't enough; t's how much you can afford to keep on your books.

I think we're going to see QB salaries decrease. Flacco s going to be the death of the 100 million QB - you just can't maintain a team around that big of an albatross.

How possible is that though? When you're paying a franchise QB you can't afford to keep those diamonds in the rough.

GM philosophy massively changes after a team gels. Suddenly talent isn't enough; t's how much you can afford to keep on your books.

I think we're going to see QB salaries decrease. Flacco s going to be the death of the 100 million QB - you just can't maintain a team around that big of an albatross.
So you think next time someone pulls a Flacco the team lets him walk? I don't know, man. I guess it's possible.

Discussion time boyos.

Is it possible to win after paying a QB big bucks? Seems it cripples more teams than it helps.

Pack ran away with the division after extending Rodgers.

Seriously though, I do think we're in an era where teams now have to really weigh these huge gambles with mega contracts, even if they're currently in possession of a proven QB. They should have less risk of injury now that the position is so well-protected by the rules committee, but a healthy Rodgers is utterly wasted when a porous defense made up of UDFAs and Morgan Burnett let teams march down the field. People can blame Capers all they want for defensive woes, but a truly awful DC would have been fired years ago. Personnel has simply been lacking, and now that Rodgers and Matthews got their paydays, it'll be interesting to see how the Packers approach free agency or further extensions for the next half-decade.

Hey nerds, friends, and midget Gata

Should I get a Vita now or wait for the slim?

Do you appreciate the finer things in life such as a beautiful OLED screen? If so, I'd jump in now. Don't expect massive support for it, though. Pretty much only indies and SCE-Anywhere but America support it.

So you think next time someone pulls a Flacco the team lets him walk? I don't know, man. I guess it's possible.

I think teams are going to collude to fix the going rate and say "listen, we need money to help you succeed. Here's 80 million."

The past few years QB contracts have been a pissing contest as to who can get more, no way that's sustainable.

Hey nerds, friends, and midget Gata

Should I get a Vita now or wait for the slim?

Everything about the newer model is better except for the screen, and put me in the camp that thinks the OLED is slightly overrated. The color reproduction is great, the blacks are amazing, but LCD panels can have just as good image quality with less power consumption and less burn-in.

Pack ran away with the division after extending Rodgers.

Seriously though, I do think we're in an era where teams now have to really weigh these huge gambles with mega contracts, even if they're currently in possession of a proven QB. They should have less risk of injury now that the position is so well-protected by the rules committee, but a healthy Rodgers is utterly wasted when a porous defense made up of UDFAs and Morgan Burnett let teams march down the field. People can blame Capers all they want for defensive woes, but a truly awful DC would have been fired years ago. Personnel has simply been lacking, and now that Rodgers and Matthews got their paydays, it'll be interesting to see how the Packers approach free agency or further extensions for the next half-decade.

Pack are a perfect example. Team is known for draft and develop, but they have a lot of holes and can't afford to waste seasons developing guys while Rodgers wastes his prime. That said,it's hard to win in free agency when you have your QBs salary to worry about.

squicken

It's just not like the old days where a team can keep a core group together. The windows are short, and you just have to have a couple of stars under rookie deals. It can be the QB but it doesn't have to be. It's harder for good teams b/c, generally, most stars come from the top of the draft

As far as Flacco, I would have let him walk. Burned it down and started over. Trust Ozzie to build another foundation of great players

MRSA

Banned
The only OLED I've witnessed are on the Galaxy phones and I wasn't too impressed. Unless the OLED are significantly better on the Vita I'll wait for the slim.

Although most people say PSP and PSOne games look amazing on the OLED, I dunno. I have too much money.

JABEE

Reported for racism

Everyone is going to get hit like Bionic and eznark! Coldplay deserved what he got for hating the greatest country on Earth. (RIP Coldplay)

All this ban talk reminds me that we will never get to hear about what happened with chris's coworker. :( Why is this all happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom