• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only OLED I've witnessed are on the Galaxy phones and I wasn't too impressed. Unless the OLED are significantly better on the Vita I'll wait for the slim.

Although most people say PSP and PSOne games look amazing on the OLED, I dunno. I have too much money.

On the flip side, Vita 1000's are probably going to be super fucking cheap in a few months when retailers start clearing out their stock to make room for the Slims.

Pack ran away with the division after extending Rodgers.

Seriously though, I do think we're in an era where teams now have to really weigh these huge gambles with mega contracts, even if they're currently in possession of a proven QB. They should have less risk of injury now that the position is so well-protected by the rules committee, but a healthy Rodgers is utterly wasted when a porous defense made up of UDFAs and Morgan Burnett let teams march down the field. People can blame Capers all they want for defensive woes, but a truly awful DC would have been fired years ago. Personnel has simply been lacking, and now that Rodgers and Matthews got their paydays, it'll be interesting to see how the Packers approach free agency or further extensions for the next half-decade.

Isn't the GB philosophy the same one that John Schneider uses for Seattle? Something like have x% of your salary cap tied up by y# of elite players and fill the rest of your roster with moderately priced vets or rookie wage guys.

Obviously the trick to being successful with something like this is balancing of picking the correct elite guys and being able to draft successfully.

Someone tell me about Travis Beckum, because he's apparently a Seahawk now.

Can't stay healthy and can't block for shit. Flashed at times as a receiver but just you when you think he was going to come on, he would tear an ACL or get a life threatening hamstring...

The Giants (a TE hungry team) gave him 4 years to do something. Jake Ballard passed him on the depth chart.

Teams, like musicians, like artists, like writers and movie directors are their best when they're on the cusp of greatness. When they deserve millions but haven't been rewarded. They want everything because they've been given nothing for so long. It's that desperation and misery that connects with the human creature. The audience can never have enough misery because it is so essential to the human experience.

Seattle won the Super Bowl because they built a dominant defense with $$$ Wilson and his WRs aren't getting. That reminds me, is there a more overrated position in the NFL than WR? When in doubt, let them walk.

Any who, like I said, Avril is underrated as fuck and deserves more money. Their DL is beast and that opens things up for a physical but overrated LB like Smith winning the MVP.

rando14

Can't stay healthy and can't block for shit. Flashed at times as a receiver but just you when you think he was going to come on, he would tear and ACL or get a life threatening hamstring...

The Giants (a TE hungry team) gave him 4 years to do something. Jake Ballard passed him on the depth chart.

ibwCyHnrH38DFf.gif

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Speaking of Tight Ends looks like Offensive Coordinator Lombardi is looking for a TE in this draft:

While the Saints gear up for what coach Sean Payton thinks will be “tough decisions” regarding re-signing tight end Jimmy Graham, their former quarterbacks coach is in Detroit gearing up for his first year as an offensive coordinator.

One of the first orders of business this offseason is deciding whether Brandon Pettigrew fits that “best player” you can find description. With center Dominic Raiola re-signed, Pettigrew is one of the top Lions set for free agency next month and Detroit has to decide if they want to continue their relationship with a player who has been more effective as a blocker than a receiver over the last couple of seasons.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...i-always-looking-for-well-rounded-tight-ends/

I like this Lombardi fellow. Was under the tutelage of Sean Payton for 6 years. The fact that he has publicly stated that he wants a "versatile" TE means we'll be looking for someone like that in the draft in addition to Joe Fauria.

ShaneB

Can't stay healthy and can't block for shit. Flashed at times as a receiver but just you when you think he was going to come on, he would tear and ACL or get a life threatening hamstring...

The Seahawks staff will turn him into a winner!

So i'm gonna start gauging interest in this team mock draft idea. The idea is that we split up into a few teams of 2-3 people and try to accurately pick what will happen in the first round of this year's draft. Because the selections are not reliant on what other teams pick, trades will be possible.

THIS IS NOT THE REGULAR MOCK DRAFT. We'll still be doing that closer to the actual draft in May. That draft will be what we want instead of what we think will happen.

I know mocking isn't for everyone so we'll stick to small teams of a few members. Winner gets bragging rights.

cdyhybrid

Welp.

Brandon Myers didn't meet milestones so he got released.

GiantsGAF was that his fault or the team overall?

A little bit of both. Myers only appeared in garbage time early on when teams stopped giving a shit and had already won the game. Outside of that, he never looked like he got a handle on the offense until later in the year and even then I was never impressed with him as receiver but the issues along the offensive line and Eli's play didn't help to make him shine in the passing game either. The Giants wanted Adrian Robinson (a 4th round pick) to develop and were looking to use him primarily as a blocker while Myers would have been more of a move TE and a receiving threat. However much like Becky, Robinson couldn't stay healthy and Bear Pascoe (our other TE) was forced into playing fullback before we signed Connors because of the injury to Hynoski. So they were forced to use Myers as a blocker and if you take a look at some of the early GIFs I made concerning the Giants running game - he was downright abysmal at it. If we get even mediocre blocking from the tight end position we might have been able to at least pretend to run the ball.

The Giants put a lot of emphasis on tight ends being able to block so I've no clue why they even took a chance on Myers to be frank. Round peg, square hole. I suppose they continued to believe that Mike Pope would make something out of him like he has out of guys like Kevin Boss, Marty B, and Jake Ballard. Myers just didn't have that skill set. The remainder of his contract was voided late last week so he's pretty much an FA. Its yet again another position of need for the team.

Spinluck

golden tate and riley cooper are gonna be free agents eh? we gots that cap space.

how come it feels like good o-linemen are never free agents? do they have some high ass re-sign rate or is my memory just crap?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I had to close that thread and just move away. I get that everyone thinks America are the big meanies of the world, but my god at people saying the US is the exact same as the Taliban.

I've seen a lot of people say that they are eagerly awaiting the end of Pax Americana and the rise of Chinese dominance. Taliban is a new one! I'm not sure why they don't just hope for a new Pax Europa instead but whatever...

Discussion time boyos.

Is it possible to win after paying a QB big bucks? Seems it cripples more teams than it helps.

Is Eli the only one to win one with a giant contract?

That's your gif isn't it? Kind of like Kave and the Mean Girls crying gif?

squicken

golden tate and riley cooper are gonna be free agents eh? we gots that cap space.

how come it feels like good o-linemen are never free agents? do they have some high ass re-sign rate or is my memory just crap?

Albert and Saffold are good, but always hurt. You are right though about FA linemen; Joe Staley types never hit the market it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom