• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q: Do you consider Joe Banner a good evaluator of football talent?
Farmer: I would characterize him as a non-traditional football guy.
Wasn't Banner primarily a cap guru for the Eagles? Or am I thinking of Roseman?

Either way, pretty crazy stuff. I would say sorry for the ridiculous levels of instability associated with the organization to Browns fans but I can't apologize too much for getting rid of Mike Lombardi. That's no a bad thing. Biggest downside is they'll likely trot that idiot back out on NFL Network....

Spinluck

irsay-smoking.jpg

I traded for Trent Truck cause I was high!

remove this slanderous post at once!!

Wes

venison crêpe
Wasn't Banner primarily a cap guru for the Eagles? Or am I thinking of Roseman?

Either way, pretty crazy stuff. I would say sorry for the ridiculous levels of instability associated with the organization to Browns fans but I can't apologize too much for getting rid of Mike Lombardi. That's no a bad thing. Biggest downside is they'll likely trot that idiot back out on NFL Network....

I think you're right he was seen as good with an eye to cap values.

Browns fans are pretty excited in general. Although the league are going all "dysfunction central" the fans are delighted for this move. Just got to have fingers crossed now.

Wonder what this means for the draft now... Will Hoyer stick around?

Browns fans are pretty excited in general. Although the league are going all "dysfunction central" the fans are delighted for this move. Just got to have fingers crossed now.

Hoyer's under contract for another year, unless they trade him which would be silly. I still expect him to start and the draftee to sit for a while.

Spinluck

I've only watched the first episode but it's like sorta like Dexter if Dexter weren't written by assholes.

watching that final season was one of the biggest mistakes i ever made, ruined my view on that show forever. it takes a special kind of asshole to write something like that. at least we'll always have S1-2, S3-4 were good tier too.

i feel like if rust was hired as a detective to catch dexter, he would have his ass in cuffs 1-3 episodes max (or any decent detective if we're all honest). assuming dexter doesn't have to talk to his imaginary dad for 2/3 of the episode to explain everything to us; the incompetent audience.

jakncoke

Banned

Thats because your fans are delusional as fuck and borderline insane.

JABEE

Haslam is next. Mark my words. He's either going to be suspended or have his team taken away from him.

Without Banner, Haslam doesn't get the team.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Don't get me wrong, showing Lombardi the door was absolutely the right move. However, he should have been gone BEFORE hiring a coaching staff. Now you get another lame duck situation where the gm didn't hire the coach, so he'll get to hire a new one before he gets the boot, then the next gm will want a different coach, then the next coach will want another qb. Browns cycle, aka shame circle.

Don't get me wrong, showing Lombardi the door was absolutely the right move. However, he should have been gone BEFORE hiring a coaching staff. Now you get another lame duck situation where the gm didn't hire the coach, so he'll get to hire a new one before he gets the boot, then the next gm will want a different coach, then the next coach will want another qb. Browns cycle, aka shame circle.

Haslam hired Pettine, Farmer was involved with the search.

I'm genuinely confused by this sentiment. What mistakes did they make in their first and only year on the job? Would you have preferred they draft a quarterback with the 6th pick?

Banner's a weasel. There's a reason there was tons of chatter from other teams at the Senior Bowl about him. Lombardi had a terrible original venture here, and didn't do anything except be swept in a corner the whole time he was here. No one got excited at that hire and even the national perception was bad.

At least Farmer is an up and rising talent. Dolphins were pretty dismayed he turned them down.

squicken

I still Believe in the Browns! Stay strong Cleveland fans. They are better now than they were when the season ended.

Banner and Haslam, like you guys have mentioned, was an arranged marriage. The NFL put them together so Haslam would have help running the team. Well Banner fired Chud and then didn't deliver on making an immediate hire. It was clear no one wanted any part of that power structure, and from the comments today it's clear Pettine knew changes were coming when he took the job

Lombardi gets a bad rap. He has them set up to really do well in this draft. Not that I would want him as my GM. I guess Grossi wins? I wonder what this means for Hoyer? Or for the Manziel rumors?

I'm genuinely confused by this sentiment. What mistakes did they make in their first and only year on the job? Would you have preferred they draft a quarterback with the 6th pick?

Lombardi: Davone Bess and the RB position
Banner: organizational restructure, Haslam doesn't need him, especially when he gives the organization a bad rep

Colasante

Banner's a weasel. There's a reason there was tons of chatter from other teams at the Senior Bowl about him. Lombardi had a terrible original venture here, and didn't do anything except be swept in a corner the whole time he was here. No one got excited at that hire and even the national perception was bad.

At least Farmer is an up and rising talent. Dolphins were pretty dismayed he turned them down.

That speaks to their perception around the league, but in terms of what they actually did in their jobs in their first year, what exactly did they do that would warrant being fired? They drafted a solid pass rusher, traded a terrible running back for a first round pick, and brought in a good free agent class. I'd say they did a fine job in year one. To fire them because they were perceived poorly among the NFL is ridiculous.

Lombardi: Davone Bess and the RB position
Banner: organizational restructure, Haslam doesn't need him, especially when he gives the organization a bad rep

Swapping 4th and 5th round picks for Bess, a 4th, and a 7th is a fireable offense? The RB position was a win for the Browns. They got a first round pick for Trent Richardson. That's something to be lauded for.

I just feel like criticizing Mike Lombardi is so lazy and obvious, and there is very little to actually criticize besides perception. Why would it make sense to fire Lombardi and not to fire Dave Caldwell or Reggie McKenzie? Rebuilding teams are rebuilding teams and if Haslam somehow thought the Browns were legitimate contenders last season, then he's a god damn idiot and he's the one who deserves the blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom