• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banner and Lombardi are gone, which was an inevitability since they were a problem.

Banner and Lombardi are gone, so the Browns are a mess.

Ian Rapoport is terrible. Pettine was Haslam's hire.

ShaneB

Via.. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000325021/article/browns-announce-banner-lombardi-to-step-down
The biggest winner here is Pettine. The black cloud hanging over his young tenure as coach was a sense that he wouldn't wield any say over his own roster. Instead of dealing with layers of front-office men, Pettine will now work hand-in-hand with Farmer to rebuild a Browns team that hasn't won a playoff game since New Year's Day 1995.

This is all very bizarre nonetheless.

Wes

venison crêpe
This has been rumoured for a few months now. Apparently Haslam was only allowed by the NFL to become owner of a team if he took Banner with him, because Banner had helped out the NFL higher ups at some point in the last decade or so

They were not Haslam's guys..

After watching some videos of Farmer a few weeks back I really like him. Much more likable than the absent Lombardi.

I am really fond of this move.

Fox318

This has been rumoured for a few months now. Apparently Haslam was only allowed by the NFL to become owner of a team if he took Banner with him, because Banner had helped out the NFL higher ups at some point in the last decade or so

They were not Haslam's guys..

After watching some videos of Farmer a few weeks back I really like him. Much more likable than the absent Lombardi.

I am really fond of this move.
what

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Is Kave okay?

MHRM5xX.gif

MechDX

With Lombardi gone my hopes of getting the Browns two first round draft picks are gone.

Welcome to Houston Teddy Bradywater!

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter · 5m
For those who lost track... RT @SprowESPN: Browns have now had 3 different head coaches and 3 different GMs in the last 407 days. Decent.

:jnc

Wes

venison crêpe

It was a rumour going around a lot of the Browns boards (warning: OBR being one of them). Think BG will back me up on that.

I only bring it up because of this move. Just a rumour though. Cleveland radio is saying are going with Banner and Haslam probably having a falling out.

On to the new, Ray Farmer is supposed to be a talent. I like him.

Wes

venison crêpe
Adam Caplan ‏ @ caplannfl 5m
Very strong rumors over last few weeks that Banner and Lombardi would be out after the draft--this is sooner than expected. Wow.

Albert Breer ‏ @ AlbertBreer 10m
Word was rampant that owner Jimmy Haslam was embarrassed by how the Browns were viewed locally in January. Change was coming.

RBH

Word was rampant that owner Jimmy Haslam was embarrassed by how the Browns were viewed locally in January. Change was coming.
Only in January? What about the other 11 months of the year?
emot-smug.gif

Wes

venison crêpe
@treed1919 11m
Source spoke to 2013 coaching candidate who called his interview "dysfunctional." Said men in charge couldn't even agree on questions.

@WillBurge 1m
#Browns source told said org had a meeting in morn. Haslam walked in, announced Banner & Lombardi were gone & walked back out. Dead silence

jimmy-halsman-laughing.gif

MechDX

JamesWalkerNFL James Walker
I know it's been a rough few months for #Dolphins fans. But look on the bright side: At least you're not a #Browns fan. #Dysfunction

The new battlecry for us fans of shitty teams!

KingGondo

Banned
Stay away you swine!!
I wouldn't worry, Paul Allen isn't a cheapass, and the Seahawks seem to actually know what they're doing.

As I said in the NFL expansion thread yesterday, there were rumors floating around of local guys trying to buy and move the Raiders to OKC.

MechDX

bitch kitties!

Also, wasn't Lombardi a big fan of Manziel or was that another guy?

Thought that quote came from Haslam

I wouldn't worry, Paul Allen isn't a cheapass, and the Seahawks seem to actually know what they're doing.

As I said in the NFL expansion thread yesterday, there were rumors floating around of local guys trying to buy and move the Raiders to OKC.

Oklahoma City Raiders? No.

Browns did good! Banner was a leech. People all around the league have been bad mouthing him and was a huge detriment to the team.

Lombardo was a bad hire in the first place due to previous negative history with the team and a pretty medicore track record.

Browns are lucky to still have Farmer. Thank goodness he didn't take the Phins job. He probably knew this was coming.

jakncoke

Banned
It was a rumour going around a lot of the Browns boards (warning: OBR being one of them). Think BG will back me up on that.

I only bring it up because of this move. Just a rumour though. Cleveland radio is saying are going with Banner and Haslam probably having a falling out.

On to the new, Ray Farmer is supposed to be a talent. I like him.

OBR? Oh so it wasnt true at all. Ok.

Colasante

The Browns are a disaster. Even if this is Haslam's process of getting his people into place, it's terrible. It was clear to everyone that the team was not trying in earnest to build themselves into a contender last year. They punted on the 2013 draft, traded their starting running back, and were desperate to trade their starting receiver. Everyone seemed to know that they would get a QB in 2014 and really begin building the team. This was supposed to be the Browns front office that maintained a sense of consistency and had a vision for what they wanted to accomplish over the next couple of years, and now they've been rebooted once again, with a new General Manager who didn't hire the new Coach. I just don't see how this can be considered a net positive move for the Browns.

Spinluck

whoever was complaining about bob costas's pink eye finally got what they wanted. lol.

you will now get matt lauer and you will like it.

The Browns are a disaster. Even if this is Haslam's process of getting his people into place, it's terrible. It was clear to everyone that the team was not trying in earnest to build themselves into a contender last year. They punted on the 2013 draft, traded their starting running back, and were desperate to trade their starting receiver. Everyone seemed to know that they would get a QB in 2014 and really begin building the team. This was supposed to be the Browns front office that maintained a sense of consistency and had a vision for what they wanted to accomplish over the next couple of years, and now they've been rebooted once again, with a new General Manager who didn't hire the new Coach. I just don't see how this can be considered a net positive move for the Browns.

Haslam was angry at the end of the season, and basically ordered Chud gone. Why would he be angry if he was throwing the season away?

Richardson isn't and wasn't a starting RB.

The NFL screwed Haslam and the Browns by attaching Banner to the organization just like the NFL screwed the team in '99 with that joke of an expansion draft.

BigAT

Good thing Haslam has never done anything to embarrass the team.

Wes

venison crêpe
Good thing Haslam has never done anything to embarrass the team.

Another line coming out is that Haslam did this restructure now because he may get suspended from involvement with his team in the near future and wanted to put his changes in first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom