• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BrownsGAF:

How does the front office change up affect Alex Mack's FA?
I'm honestly not sure, but I did see this. It'll be interesting to see all the draft and FA stuff that comes out now.
Ian Rapoport ‏ @ RapSheet 1m
Offered during the season. Wasn’t deemed reasonable. RT @ NFL_ATL: @ RapSheet They weren't going to pay him enough under old regime?

Ian Rapoport ‏ @ RapSheet 1m
Bad feelings built up over uncertainty, lack of contract progress RT @ CBrink95: @ RapSheet why was Mack gone with old regime?

Brent Sobleski ‏ @ brentsobleski 44s
I can confirm. @ RapSheet Positive for # Browns: Much better chance of retaining star C Alex Mack. He’ll still test FA.

KingGondo

Banned
NFL Network ‏@nflnetwork 13s
From @MikeSilver: Sources say Brandon Weeden wants out of Cleveland. #NFLTotalAccess

End of an era.
mgs3-snake-salute.jpg

squicken

So NFLN is reporting the Browns preferred QB isn't in this draft and the GM would've preferred a different coach? That isn't good. May not be bad, but not good

JABEE

So NFLN is reporting the Browns preferred QB isn't in this draft and the GM would've preferred a different coach? That isn't good. May not be bad, but not good

This is just a complete mess. Farmer has been GM for less than 12 hours, and it already sounds like he doesn't believe Pettine is the guy. Imagine the backlash if they fired Pettine after next season.

Colasante

This is just a complete mess. Farmer has been GM for less than 12 hours, and it already sounds like he doesn't believe Pettine is the guy. Imagine the backlash if they fired Pettine after next season.

What is the latest a coach has ever been fired in the offseason? Has a coach ever been fired in the same offseason he was hired? It may seem impossible for Farmer to fire Pettine before the season begins, but I also thought the Richardson trade, Chud being fired after one year, and Lombardi and Banner being fired after one year were all impossibilities, so...

I watch all the press conferences today, to believe Farmer didn't have any role in the Pettine hire or that Haslam would fire any of these guys after a year again would be silly.
#BrownsDefenseForce

Slo

No shit they wanted a different coach. They got snubbed by their first 27 choices like gata at the prom.

They don't have to draft a QB this year. They can get a journeyman and keep building.

squicken

No shit they wanted a different coach. They got snubbed by their first 27 choices like gata at the prom.

They don't have to draft a QB this year. They can get a journeyman and keep building.

Agree about the QB if they think Hoyer can be a stop gap. Though CLE is closer to the playoffs than most teams that are in the top 10.

As far as the coach, I think a lot of the drama is supposed to be removed by everyone reporting to the owner. Farmer doesn't get to choose his own coach so it really doesn't matter what he wants. I really do think they will be patient. Haslam can't go around firing coaches. He seems sensitive to perception and I doubt he wants to be Al Davis or Jerry

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
What is the latest a coach has ever been fired in the offseason? Has a coach ever been fired in the same offseason he was hired? It may seem impossible for Farmer to fire Pettine before the season begins, but I also thought the Richardson trade, Chud being fired after one year, and Lombardi and Banner being fired after one year were all impossibilities, so...

Bill Belichick was head coach of the Jets for about 28 hours during the 2000 offseason, so the situation isn't entirely unprecedented.

JABEE

I don't know which angle would be better for entertainment on here. Weeden going to the Texans as a starter or Weeden going to snes's Buccaneers as a starter?

squicken

Mary Kay thinks Peyton will be offered Banner's job when he retires

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/ind..._8.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• The Peyton Manning Factor: Haslam currently has no CEO in the front office. My guess is that he'll offer that job to Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning someday. He loves Manning, they're great friends, and he's watched what John Elway has done in running the Broncos. Manning will play at least one more season to break Brett Favre's record for TD passes, but might be lured into a CEO role after that. The day Haslam agreed to purchase the Browns, I asked him if he'd bring Manning aboard, and he praised Manning, saying among other things, "he's very smart.''

Seemed like a fitting time. I didn't make this, from a espn 850 radio fan contest (Really Big Show exactly)
Edit: Squicken, yeah PeyPey and Haslam are good friends, rumor has it PeyPey told Haslam he'd never be successful with Banner.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Terrible. Go TE before WR. But honestly, we need defense in the first round. And Evans is another Plax waiting to happen. I guess some might consider that a good thing.

We need talent. There's very little of it on defense worth a mid round pick in the 1st.

The way I see it, the following positions have no chance of being drafted by the Steelers in the first:

OL (too many high OL picks over the past few years - need to develop, not draft)
QB (duh)
RB/FB (same)
CB (the talent in the first is very thin)

That leaves WR, TE, DL, LB, S. I think any are possible (Though I have my doubts for safety in the first) and honestly, the only way I think they go DL is if they can get Nix. That really leaves the offensive skill positions and Linebacker.

I agree with you TE before WR, but honeslty Evans may just be an opportunity the Steelers can't pass up.

squicken

mech has trolled the Browns so hard, it would be some severe karma if Weeds goes to Houston

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
I’m told when Ray Farmer began scouting QBs, Marcus Mariota was the guy he liked best, tho he stayed in school. Not sure Manziel is his guy

I just read that Silver said on-air that Farmer and Pettine also really like Hoyer, so I'm taking this as Farmer being better at the smokescreen game than Lombardi

Furyous

NFL Network ‏@nflnetwork 13s
From @MikeSilver: Sources say Brandon Weeden wants out of Cleveland. #NFLTotalAccess

End of an era.

Who in thee BLUE FUCK is Brandon Weeden to demand anything? We want out of his contract. We want a time machine so we can go back and use that draft pick on someone else who doesn't FUCKING SUCK.

Brandon Weeden needs to stay away from the Cardinals. Our third stringers are better than dude. John Skelton is a better QB than Weeden. This is the equivalent of BJ Daniels demanding his release. Imagine Delhomme's old ass demanding his release. Imagine bum ass Matt Leinhart demanding his release. GTFOH. I volunteer to drive Weeden to the airport. Cut him tonight so his ineptitude doesn't stain our facilities.

rando14

Who in thee BLUE FUCK is Brandon Weeden to demand anything? We want out of his contract. We want a time machine so we can go back and use that draft pick on someone else who doesn't FUCKING SUCK.

Brandon Weeden needs to stay away from the Cardinals. Our third stringers are better than dude. John Skelton is a better QB than Weeden. This is the equivalent of BJ Daniels demanding his release. Imagine Delhomme's old ass demanding his release. Imagine bum ass Matt Leinhart demanding his release. GTFOH. I volunteer to drive Weeden to the airport. Cut him tonight so his ineptitude doesn't stain our facilities.

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA TIME OUT

BJ Daniels is Box Office, babby!! :cool:

friend you better take your bad mouthing of blow job away from this thread before something bad happens to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom