• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jerry Angelo rates ever QB in 2013

Code:
Eli Manning	
He showed this year, as he did when he lost Plaxico Burris, he’s only as good as the sum of the parts around him. He lost his confidence and poise this year. A veteran quarterback with his pedigree, that should not have happened regardless of injuries, etc.

Can't really disagree with the latter statement. There are reasons why the things that happened. He didn't just deal with an offense that was "just like losing Plaxico" though. That's a bit of a silly comparison. 1 dependable receiver, no tight end worth a damn, no running game and no offensive line to speak of. A completely broken offense. He still shouldn't have performed nearly as bad as he did regardless considering he's a 10 year veteran. The turnovers were just plain bad.

Still buying it. Reviews mean nothing to me for a game I really want and I really want Lords of Shadow 2. Already have the PC version paid for. Just waiting for it to unlock.

Snowmageddon 2014 is in full effect. Office closed today so freebie day of relaxation.
I really want it as well but when I see horrible scores from outlets that typically throw out high scores to just about everything it throws up a red flag to me. I'm thinking there are some fundamental design issues that are dragging things down substantially.

This won't keep me from buying it but it will probably keep me from buying it at launch. I'll see what GAF has to say about it. If you play it and tell me it's amazing then my hype will be restored, of course. ;)

Enjoy the day off! I drove to work in about 7 inches of snow today but the roads weren't too bad.

I really want it as well but when I see horrible scores from outlets that typically throw out high scores to just about everything it throws up a red flag to me. I'm thinking there are some fundamental design issues that are dragging things down substantially.

This won't keep me from buying it but it will probably keep me from buying it at launch. I'll see what GAF has to say about it. If you play it and tell me it's amazing then my hype will be restored, of course. ;)
Payed $33 for it which is the right price for me. I don't mind spending that or a game I really want to play regardless of reviews but full price? Yeah I'm with you. Though that's the beauty of PC's. You can get new releases for discounted prices or if you have GMG and have some of their dollars saved up - it works out.:)

Careful driving. We've got about 8 inches on the ground at the moment and roads suck here. I actually drove into the office and the email had gone out that we closed as I was pulling into the parking lot. Bastards.

Payed $33 for it which is the right price for me. I don't mind spending that or a game I really want to play regardless of reviews but full price? Yeah I'm with you. Though that's the beauty of PC's. You can get new releases for discounted prices or if you have GMG and have some of their dollars saved up - it works out.:)

Careful driving. We've got about 8 inches on the ground at the moment and roads suck here. I actually drove into the office and the email had gone out that we closed as I was pulling into the parking lot. Bastards.
Yeah, not having a nice PC really limits me. If I could get LoS2 for $33 for PS3 right now I'd do it, but I don't want to shell out $60 for any game that isn't a sure thing. It's okay, everyone knows the next month is really just filler between now and Dark Souls 2 anyway.

Haha, that sucks that you drove all the way to work for that. I guess getting to go back home and relax made up for it somewhat, though.

squicken

Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi ended on bad terms with each other, and Browns owner Jimmy Haslam wiped out both

Banner and Lombardi clashed over a number of things, but the disconnect came to a head during the tumultuous 25-day coaching search.

By the end of it, Banner wanted to fire his embattled GM, and Lombardi knew it. If he didn't know, he missed the writing on the wall.
----

In the latter stages of the coaching search, Lombardi's good friend Belichick was calling to advise Haslam on candidates, including encouraging him to interview fired Bucs coach Greg Schiano, sources confirmed for cleveland.com. Sports Illustrated's Peter King first reported that Banner was miffed about the last-minute Schiano interview, which took place a day or two after their second interview with Mike Pettine at the Senior Bowl in late January.
---

Haslam and Banner were also at odds over Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, according to insiders. McDaniels -- a longtime Lombardi favorite -- supposedly became Haslam's top choice, but Banner had his reservations
----

Within about 24 hours after McDaniels pulled out of the search, he called to get back in, sources close to the situation told cleveland.com. This was contrary to a report on NFL Network that the Browns called McDaniels and tried to lure him back into the mix.

Regardless, he remained in the running right up until the end, when the Browns hired Pettine on Jan. 23. In fact, he received the support and recommendation of Belichick right up until the 11th hour.
----

Sources told cleveland.com it's true Whisenhunt was told he didn't get the job last year because of his staff, but that he never called out Banner over it during this year's interview or had an edge in his voice. One source said there was never an awkward moment during the Whisenhunt meeting and that he was the consummate professional. The discussion was frank and open, but Whisenhunt was non-confrontational.

"Why would someone who was trying to land a job go off on one of the interviewers?'' said one source.

Seems like Banner was the only one there not up Belichick's ass. Though that's his fault for hiring Lombardi in the first place, which seems to have been his downfall, more than having a brusque personality. Hire a GM with more than just Patriots contacts and maybe the coaching search isn't such a fiasco?

In the interim I'm watching this InFamous Second Son Broll footage and...

iWOeXZ16NwxYy.gif

March 21st can't get here soon enough.

jakncoke

Banned
Belichick trying to lobby the Browns into ruining their franchise more with a Shitzano hire is funny. Does this happen regularly amongst the NFL circles? The lobbying of hires?

squicken

Belichick trying to lobby the Browns into ruining their franchise more with a Shitzano hire is funny. Does this happen regularly amongst the NFL circles? The lobbying of hires?

Peyton called Detroit on behalf of Caldwell, so I guess it does sometimes. But I think with Belichick, Lombardi literally only does what Belichick tells him to do, so the only people he knows are those who BB recommends.

One of the Tampa players had a funny story from their joint practices in preseason where Schiano told his team to do whatever BB told them to do. Like he was their coach too during the scrimmage

Like I said, Banner seems pretty smart to all of this silliness, but he was an idiot for ever hiring Lombardi

Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi ended on bad terms with each other, and Browns owner Jimmy Haslam wiped out both

Seems like Banner was the only one there not up Belichick's ass. Though that's his fault for hiring Lombardi in the first place, which seems to have been his downfall, more than having a brusque personality. Hire a GM with more than just Patriots contacts and maybe the coaching search isn't such a fiasco?

There's tons of reports coming out now showing how the ineptitude of those two. How teams wanted nothing to do with the Browns because of them and the weird ass dynamic of the two talking heads. Best thing Haslam's done is getting rid of them, and we got a promising young GM in Farmer now.

Browns gonna Browns.

So now that they've fixed the problem that's Anti-Browns? xD

squicken

There's tons of reports coming out now showing how the ineptitude of those two. How teams wanted nothing to do with the Browns because of them and the weird ass dynamic of the two talking heads. Best thing Haslam's done is getting rid of them, and we got a promising young GM in Farmer now.

Haslam got all moist when BB called him and recommended McDaniels and Schainno. If it weren't for Banner saying no, you'd be screwed for another couple of years. Banner signed off on Pettine and wanted Lombardi out and Farmer in. If you are happy with the current setup, it's the way Banner wanted it, only he's not around to see it through

Not that he shouldn't have been fired. But he saved Haslam from himself a few times. That has to worry Browns fans that Jimmy seems to not be very bright, and highly suggestible

Peyton called Detroit on behalf of Caldwell, so I guess it does sometimes. But I think with Belichick, Lombardi literally only does what Belichick tells him to do, so the only people he knows are those who BB recommends.

One of the Tampa players had a funny story from their joint practices in preseason where Schiano told his team to do whatever BB told them to do. Like he was their coach too during the scrimmage

Like I said, Banner seems pretty smart to all of this silliness, but he was an idiot for ever hiring Lombardi

All this news about Lombardi joining NE is worrying me. I want him to stay the fuck out of Mass. Let him join the Jets or something.

Silkworm

As a Saints fan, it's sad to see Will Smith, Jonathan Vilma, Roman Harper and Jabari Greer let go (damn salary-cap). A big thank you to these guys for their big contributions to the 2009 Super Bowl Saints victory.

So Banner saved them from McD and Schiano and Haslam fired him for it? Dude deserved a medal for shooting down those terrible hires.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
All this news about Lombardi joining NE is worrying me. I want him to stay the fuck out of Mass. Let him join the Jets or something.

Why is it worrisome?

Honestly if you look at his track record in Cleveland and none of the media bullshit, it was pretty good. It's amazing how the fans are willing to believe the bullshit they see on TV and hear on the radio.

And he's just going to be BB's lackey anyway.

I told my wife I would pan sear steaks for us for Valentine's Day. I can handle the basics but anyone have some tips for a little added flavor? I also need to come up with some sides...

MRSA

Banned
I told my wife I would pan sear steaks for us for Valentine's Day. I can handle the basics but anyone have some tips for a little added flavor? I also need to come up with some sides...

Make heart shape steaks.

Otherwise deglaze your pan with Worcestershire sauce, add some heavy cream to taste and some whole peppercorns. You got yourself steak au poive or pepper steak for you uncultured heathens.

Sides, mashed potatoes and green beans always works.

Draxal

Can't really disagree with the latter statement. There are reasons why the things that happened. He didn't just deal with an offense that was "just like losing Plaxico" though. That's a bit of a silly comparison. 1 dependable receiver, no tight end worth a damn, no running game and no offensive line to speak of. A completely broken offense. He still shouldn't have performed nearly as bad as he did regardless considering he's a 10 year veteran. The turnovers were just plain bad.

Eli played like shit, but Gilbride's offense really just doesn't work without strong talent all over.

He played a huge part in our 2 super bowls but I'm glad to go in a new direction.

B0a8b7W.png

Looks about right!

Just throw a bit of salt and pepper on it. Nothing more is needed for Steak.

Make heart shape steaks.

Otherwise deglaze your pan with Worcestershire sauce, add some heavy cream to taste and some whole peppercorns. You got yourself steak au poive or pepper steak for you uncultured heathens.

Sides, mashed potatoes and green beans always works.
Thanks for the good ideas! I am on the fence with this one, I think steak is fantastic with nothing but salt and pepper but I'm also feeling a little adventurous. We'll see what happens.

effzee

Ok guys need serious advice here.

Wasn't planning on getting a PS4 or X1 anytime soon since I already have a NEXT GEN ! system with the WiiU plus with the baby coming I wanted to save some money.

Of course my wife saw this as some heroic effort on my behalf and for Valentines day decided to buy me a PS4. FUCK. I only got her flowers. Anyway that's another story.

i haven't kept up with the gaming side of things in the longest. What's the better system to have right now. Or are they both about the same with X1 getting Titanfall? Is it really worth it? I am leaning towards telling her to switch out the PS4 for X1 only because everyone I know who I would play with online for multiplayer games seems to have the X1.

Last gen I had the PS3 and realized more and more I mostly play sports games and online multiplayer so I rather have the system that most others have. But is there any big advantage or disadvantage? Is the X1 a blu ray player too? How much is the xbox live service? Do I have to get connect?

Also considering telling her to return it completely and hold off on buying me a console until this fall when far better games are out and our finances are sorted out with the baby and stuff.

Haslam got all moist when BB called him and recommended McDaniels and Schainno. If it weren't for Banner saying no, you'd be screwed for another couple of years. Banner signed off on Pettine and wanted Lombardi out and Farmer in. If you are happy with the current setup, it's the way Banner wanted it, only he's not around to see it through

Not that he shouldn't have been fired. But he saved Haslam from himself a few times. That has to worry Browns fans that Jimmy seems to not be very bright, and highly suggestible
I mean I not gonna pretend that banner stopped jimmy from hiring anyone. There was obvious that rift, and I have no problem with jimmy getting advise of candidates to interview. Dosent mean we we're gonna hire them. Ultimately it was Jimmy's decision to hire who he wanted, I don't think banner really had much of a influence to change his mind at the end. I think banner and co wanted to wait for Quinn but pulled the trigger on Pettine the guy he liked. So I don't really like that people are saying " ooooooh Banner saved you guys from jimmy"

Edit: I think one thing that's being overlooked is that Pettine will have more power now, Pettine and Farmer can work in tandom

Double edit: sounds like on Chuds firing, banLombardi promised they had a guy lined up before the firing (McDaniels) and then supposedly Banner wouldn't yield some aspects, and they failed on the promise.

Wasn't planning on getting a PS4 or X1 anytime soon since I already have a NEXT GEN ! system with the WiiU plus with the baby coming I wanted to save some money.

Of course my wife saw this as some heroic effort on my behalf and for Valentines day decided to buy me a PS4. FUCK. I only got her flowers. Anyway that's another story.

i haven't kept up with the gaming side of things in the longest. What's the better system to have right now. Or are they both about the same with X1 getting Titanfall? Is it really worth it? I am leaning towards telling her to switch out the PS4 for X1 only because everyone I know who I would play with online for multiplayer games seems to have the X1.

Last gen I had the PS3 and realized more and more I mostly play sports games and online multiplayer so I rather have the system that most others have. But is there any big advantage or disadvantage? Is the X1 a blu ray player too? How much is the xbox live service? Do I have to get connect?

Also considering telling her to return it completely and hold off on buying me a console until this fall when far better games are out and our finances are sorted out with the baby and stuff.

Both systems are pretty much the same. They both play Blu Rays and you have to pay for online for both. The PS4 is a bit more powerful though.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Well if you like baseball games then theres literally only one choice.

I guess it really depends how much you love MS exclusives and where your friends are. All things being equal PS4 is cheaper, PS+ is a legitimately good service unlike Gold and the games look better.

Obviously though if you have to wait then yeah. I enjoy my PS4 but I don't think theres any reason to rush out and go get it unless you're really interested.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Really? Same way the other way around really Euro's can't get into the US for shit, but I thought it wasn't that difficult for Americans to move here. Is it different per country?

What is the thing you like so much that you Wanna stay?

Because I've traveled and lived all over the US for 33 years. It's a great place, but I have only begun to scratch the surface of seeing what Europe has to offer, in terms of travel and exploration. I would like to stick around for more than 3 years.

Because I've traveled and lived all over the US for 33 years. It's a great place, but I have only begun to scratch the surface of seeing what Europe has to offer, in terms of travel and exploration. I would like to stick around for more than 3 years.

I have no clue how it works for an American. I can move all over Urop without any limitations. Can't the Army hook you up?

Salt and pepper, butter at the end. Done.

Also let it rest for a long period.

Best thing is, sear on both sides, pop it in the oven on a low temp to finish, let rest. Eat.

-Enjoy, impress the misses.
-Get another child?
- Turn children into professional soccer players, sell them for 40 million a piece to Barcelona.

WanderingWind

I have no clue how it works for an American. I can move all over Urop without any limitations. Can't the Army hook you up?

That's pretty sweet. But no. Mostly because I'm not in the Army.

But, worse comes to worse, I'll just crash with you.

EDIT: No butter on steak, heathens.

Salt and pepper, butter at the end. Done.

Also let it rest for a long period.

Best thing is, sear on both sides, pop it in the oven on a low temp to finish, let rest. Eat.

-Enjoy, impress the misses.
-Get another child?
- Turn children into professional soccer players, sell them for 40 million a piece to Barcelona.
I think I'm sold on just going with salt and pepper. There's no way you would ever lead me astray, shirtless overlord.

Haha, you said soccer. You are so Americanized. Why don't you get it over with and just move here?

Tabris

You know what? I can't wait for Infamous: Second Son which takes place in Seattle.

I'm going to go evil to f*** up some 12th man.

WanderingWind

You add butter at the end, just a little bit.

Nah, man. You know what butter is? Fat. Do you know what all that juice flowing out of a proper steak is? Fat. Butter adds literally nothing to steak because it's already there. Unless you cook your steak medium well, in which case, just go play in traffic.

So maybe I've been in alittle denial the last couple months about the front office set up being toxic. But with all the stuff coming out I blame it more on banner then anyone, not saying it wasn't part Lombardis fault but the guy never got a fair shot by the fans since he was hired.

Pettine and Farmer 2014! Winning record !

*runs away

WanderingWind

So maybe I've been in alittle denial the last couple months about the front office set up being toxic. But with all the stuff coming out I blame it more on banner then anyone, not saying it wasn't part Lombardis fault but the guy never got a fair shot by the fans since he was hired.

Pettine and Farmer 2014! Winning record !

*runs away

Go cook a steak medium well.

Nah, man. You know what butter is? Fat. Do you know what all that juice flowing out of a proper steak is? Fat. Butter adds literally nothing to steak because it's already there. Unless you cook your steak medium well, in which case, just go play in traffic.

It's the slightly nutty flavor of the butter that adds to it.

And brother, I eat it rare (American Medium/rare, because a regular rare in the US is cold).

Edit: Fucking hell, Tabris said the same thing.

Sorry WW, no butter. Ever.

WanderingWind

Butter has a nutty brown flavour when caramelized is what is the point of cooking on the steak at the last minute.

Butter can't caramelize, as it has no sugar content. A brown butter adds nuttiness, sure. If you need to add nuttiness to a steak, you have failed at life. Ask lunchbox where his daddy gets his meat and step your game up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom