• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So from what I've gathered here I need to make sure the steak is cooked well done (until there is no juice in sight, inside or out), topped with at least 6 tablespoons of butter, and doused in A1. I think I can handle this.

jakncoke

Banned
So from what I've gathered here I need to make sure the steak is cooked well done (until there is no juice in sight, inside or out), topped with at least 6 tablespoons of butter, and doused in A1. I think I can handle this.

Your wife is going to divorce you if you do this. Rightfully so. Or at least become a Patriots fan.

manfestival

yLSQIOv.png

heh heh

dionysus

Yaldog
Rub it with olive oil and mildly season with your favorite seasonings. That is about all you need. You can also pan sear and then bake it.

Talon

Rub it with olive oil and mildly season with your favorite seasonings. That is about all you need. You can also pan sear and then bake it.
You actually lose more moisture from pan searing then baking as opposed to cooking it in the pan outright.

dionysus

Yaldog
You actually lose more moisture from pan searing then baking as opposed to cooking it in the pan outright.

Didn't know that. My preference is grilling the whole time but I always here people recommending the sear to lock in the fat and then the bake to cook through.

Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi ended on bad terms with each other, and Browns owner Jimmy Haslam wiped out both

Seems like Banner was the only one there not up Belichick's ass. Though that's his fault for hiring Lombardi in the first place, which seems to have been his downfall, more than having a brusque personality. Hire a GM with more than just Patriots contacts and maybe the coaching search isn't such a fiasco?

Belichick trying to lobby the Browns into ruining their franchise more with a Shitzano hire is funny. Does this happen regularly amongst the NFL circles? The lobbying of hires?

Peyton called Detroit on behalf of Caldwell, so I guess it does sometimes. But I think with Belichick, Lombardi literally only does what Belichick tells him to do, so the only people he knows are those who BB recommends.

One of the Tampa players had a funny story from their joint practices in preseason where Schiano told his team to do whatever BB told them to do. Like he was their coach too during the scrimmage

Like I said, Banner seems pretty smart to all of this silliness, but he was an idiot for ever hiring Lombardi

Networking exists pretty much everywhere, though. I work in a Fortune 500 company and one of the things we emphasize is networking and ensuring you have circles of supporters. When new opportunities open up, you see execs and managers move around, and a lot of that has to do with whom they know in that organization.

Hell, even doing interviews for new jobs. You're asked for references. Same goes for these guys. Caldwell has PeyPey has a reference. Schiano obviously has Belichick's support, so where there is a coaching opportunity, Bill reaches out to sell them on a guy he believes in.

LJ11

Had a dream that I met Bill Belichick at Home Depot. What could it mean?

Dude is destroying franchises from withing, he is one evil motherfucker.

BigAT

Greg Bedard watched each of Michael Sam's snaps from 12 games last year in order to give an evaluation. His conclusion:

Sam was a good player for one season in college. He was productive, so the accolades he received were earned. But being a good college player and becoming a good NFL player are two different things (see Tim Tebow). Sam did well for Missouri with a lot of talent around him. A majority of his production came in three games against inferior competition without a need to show much of a pass-rushing repertoire. He doesn’t show much of what the NFL looks for on special teams, and it’s difficult to project a position for him on the next level. For those reasons, Sam would project to be no better than a mid- to late-round pick. He could go undrafted. To my eyes Sam is decidedly average, with nothing exceptional about his game—though he will be helped by the fact that this draft is not deep with pass rushers, and those are always needed.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/13/michael-sam-film-study-nfl-draft/

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
My friend, I worked in a Michelin star kitchen for a year, and at a hotel in the kitchen for almost 2 years now.

I am.

I'm a graduate of the New England Culinary Institute. I interned at Bacchanalia of Atlanta, and at a prestigious lodge in New England. I was mentored by Chef Michel Robert and a number of French, Italian and African chefs in locations across the Americas. I worked in fine dining for more than 6 years and ran a find dining restaurant near a ski lodge in Maine. I also ran a high end restaurant at a lodge in NM. I worked in kitchens from age 16-26.

You are not.

My friend, I worked in a Michelin star kitchen for a year, and at a hotel in the kitchen for almost 2 years now.

I am..

I'm a graduate of the New England Culinary Institute. I interned at Bacchanalia of Atlanta, and at a prestigious lodge in New England. I was mentored by Chef Michel Robert and a number of French, Italian and African chefs in locations across the Americas. I worked in fine dining for more than 6 years and ran a find dining restaurant near a ski lodge in Maine. I also ran a high end restaurant at a lodge in NM. I worked in kitchens from age 16-26.

You are not.

Only one way to decide this. Cook off -Chopped Style. I'll Judge.

Talon

Didn't know that. My preference is grilling the whole time but I always here people recommending the sear to lock in the fat and then the bake to cook through.
It's a myth that was perpetuated by Ruth's Chris. Both Alton Brown and Kenji have proven that it results in a dryer piece of meat. Searing doesn't seal dick.

The Theory: Searing the surface of a cut piece of meat will precipitate the formation of an impenetrable barrier, allowing your meat to retain more juices as it cooks.

The Reality: Searing produces no such barrier—liquid can still pass freely in and out of the surface of a seared steak. To prove this, I cooked two steaks to the exact same internal temperature (130°F). One steak I seared first over hot coals and finished over the cooler side of the grill. The second steak I started on the cooler side, let it come to about ten degrees below its final target temperature, then finished it by giving it a sear over the hot side of a grill. If there is any truth to the searing story, then the steak that was seared first should retain more moisture.

What I found is actually the exact opposite: the steak that is cooked gently first and finished with a sear will not only develop a deeper, darker crust (due to slightly drier outer layers—see Myth #1), but it also cooks more evenly from center to edge, thus limiting the amount of overcooked meat and producing a finished product that is juicier and more flavorful.

The Takeaway: When cooking thick steaks, start them on the cooler side of the grill and cook with the lid on until they reach about ten degrees below final serving temperature. Finish them off on the hot side of the grill for a great crust. For thinner steaks (about an inch or less), just cook them over the hot side the entire time—they'll be cooked to medium rare by the time a good crust has developed.

The best way to use an oven if you must is to actually pre-cook in the oven and THEN sear on high heat.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Quick reminder to vote if you haven't yet!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100562933&postcount=6728

Once that's out of the way, we need more direction. Meaning, decision time once again! How should we prioritize our next moves?

A - Given the recent injuries, build out the medical wing. Build a ward, hire doctors, build a psychologist office. Note that this will also complete the Health & Well Being Grant and earn us another $10,000.
B - With more prisoners around, beef up security. Continue hiring guard staff, unlock and hire dog patrols, look into more security systems like metal detectors and CCTV cameras.
C - Build out infrastructure. Research and unlock cleaning crew, grounds keepers, and prison labor. Hire an accountant to remove the daily spending limit. Build out pavement in outside areas to decrease traveling time so prisoners and staff can get to different rooms much faster. Clean up the filthy mess that is our prison facility.

Please vote the order you'd like to see: i.e. B-A-C. Once we get through this block of work the next decision point after this down the road will be about expanding our prison to accomodate even more inmates, and whether to start building out max or min security cell blocks.

Had a dream that I met Bill Belichick at Home Depot. What could it mean?

Dude is destroying franchises from withing, he is one evil motherfucker.

Good luck with Pepper Johnson!

You are not.

Okay maybe I'm not...Still, I'm the more talented cook. I had a job offer from the best restaurant in the country age 19.

Which I declined to study Economics...

Yeah

Ok guys need serious advice here.

Wasn't planning on getting a PS4 or X1 anytime soon since I already have a NEXT GEN ! system with the WiiU plus with the baby coming I wanted to save some money.

Of course my wife saw this as some heroic effort on my behalf and for Valentines day decided to buy me a PS4. FUCK. I only got her flowers. Anyway that's another story.

i haven't kept up with the gaming side of things in the longest. What's the better system to have right now. Or are they both about the same with X1 getting Titanfall? Is it really worth it? I am leaning towards telling her to switch out the PS4 for X1 only because everyone I know who I would play with online for multiplayer games seems to have the X1.

Last gen I had the PS3 and realized more and more I mostly play sports games and online multiplayer so I rather have the system that most others have. But is there any big advantage or disadvantage? Is the X1 a blu ray player too? How much is the xbox live service? Do I have to get connect?

Also considering telling her to return it completely and hold off on buying me a console until this fall when far better games are out and our finances are sorted out with the baby and stuff.

XB1 has much better games now and every impression of Titanfall is that it is going to be great fun if you like mp games. The next big PS4 game is infamous after that I guess is Driveclub but we have no idea when that will be out. I love all the extra features and functionality of the XB1 but your mileage may vary with that.

Greg

I am.

You are not.
Both of you make me your finest wings!

dionysus

Yaldog
It's a myth that was perpetuated by Ruth's Chris. Both Alton Brown and Kenji have proven that it results in a dryer piece of meat. Searing doesn't seal dick.

The best way to use an oven if you must is to actually pre-cook in the oven and THEN sear on high heat.

Glad to hear I have a good palate even when I was taught wrong.

Do you really take reviews seriously? I've enjoyed a decent amount of games that got bad reviews.
Not too seriously but I probably can't find a single game that got a 4 or less from EDGE that I've really enjoyed. It's not an ultimatum but it's a pretty big red flag. I'd be curious to see some examples for yourself.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Good luck with Pepper Johnson!

Okay maybe I'm not...Still, I'm the more talented cook. I had a job offer from the best restaurant in the country age 19.

Which I declined to study Economics...

Yeah

Lol. Well, I'm out of the industry now. You would at least have a fighting chance at being as good as me. Sort of like the Broncos had a fighting chance at halftime.

Both of you make me your finest wings!

Psh. The first word isn't Dutch Wings. It's Buffalo Wings. I got that shit on lock.

Tom Penny

You are not.

Meh. I worked at a D'angelo.

MRSA

Banned
Get steak from a local butcher. Not your super market.

If you wanna fancy it up, the steak au poive thing takes no real technical ability. Another thing you could do is make a compound butter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom