• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS4 and XBO are selling like shit if those numbers are to be believed.

Considering the pent up demand for new consoles during the holidays and the rate at which these things sold, you would have to be foolish to think there wasn't going to be a precipitous drop come January when the hardcore enthusiasts cleared out and supply constraints became less of an issue. What were 360 sales like in its first January? I can't remember.

Lol Peter Moore is salty right now.

I would imagine you mean this?

MfNAQcm.png

I would imagine EA doesn't give a shit. They got paid for that exclusivity (and likely a pretty penny) so what does it matter to them? Only ones likely upset are Respawn who had big plans for Titanfall being the next Call of Duty.

Considering the pent up demand for new consoles during the holidays and the rate at which these things sold, you would have to be foolish to think there wasn't going to be a precipitous drop come January when the hardcore enthusiasts cleared out and supply constraints became less of an issue. What were 360 sales like in its first January? I can't remember.

About like this - because of supply constraints. They could easily have sold 300-400K per month had they stock.

The "pent up demand" is a smokescreen. Being on a gaming forum around gamers who are clamoring for these consoles doesn't translate well to the public at large. And of course "lololololol XBOX has no gaemes"

The "pent up demand" is a smokescreen. Being on a gaming forum around gamers who are clamoring for these consoles doesn't translate well to the public at large. And of course "lololololol XBOX has no gaemes"
It translates well to the people who are out there buying these things day one last November and through the holiday season which was my point. The general public isn't buying in yet? Of course not. Like I said, we're seeing the first month where the hardcore and "gamers on a forum of gamers" aren't the ones out there buying the consoles now.

Neither $400 nor $500 are "public at large" price points.

Oh and from reading the gaming side I thought "PS4 has no games LOLOLOL" was the meme these days? :)

I would imagine you mean this?

MfNAQcm.png

I would imagine EA doesn't give a shit. They got paid for that exclusivity (and likely a pretty penny) so what does it matter to them? Only ones likely upset are Respawn who had big plans for Titanfall being the next Call of Duty.

I think it's gonna bomb by both EA's and Microsoft's standards. I think the Xbox One version is only (by their thinking) gonna sell around 1mill in March. It's not gonna come ANYWHERE near Call of Duty levels until multiple sequels later.

It translates well to the people who are out there buying these things day one last November and through the holiday season which was my point. The general public isn't buying in yet? Of course not. Like I said, we're seeing the first month where the hardcore and "gamers on a forum of gamers" aren't the ones out there buying the consoles now.

So what are you arguing? It was destined to be this way? Pent up demand for long awaited consoles translates to 3 months of consistent sales before falling off a cliff? That didn't happen with the 360.

So what are you arguing? It was destined to be this way? Pent up demand for long awaited consoles translates to 3 months of consistent sales before falling off a cliff?
Yeah. Pretty much. It was always going to be a blitz out of the gate and we were going to see insane "greatest console launch ever" numbers and a fairly steep drop come the new year. Nature of the beast after nearly 8 years of waiting for a new generation of hardware. I imagined we'd see more supply issues but those look to have /mostly/ resolved themselves by now.

You pushed a baseline of 300-400k for the 360 when it launched in your previous statement. By all accounts the PS4 moved nearly 300k despite still dealing with some supply issues in the first half of January. It's not outstanding but I wouldn't call it falling off of a cliff either when you consider the 360 didn't move nearly what either the One or the PS4 moved when it initially launched.

That didn't happen with the 360.
Did the 360 move nearly 4.5 million units worldwide in the span of two-three months? Yeah, didn't think so.

Oh and from reading the gaming side I thought "PS4 has no games LOLOLOL" was the meme these days? :)
TitanFall will move Xbones but MSFT is in the shit get doubled in January.

Tom Penny

Kinectless Xbone coming? First they reverse DRM now they don't give a fuck and have no problem removing a " key " feature. Shit is kind of humorous.

The only reason I have an Xbone is because it made sense to buy one of the new consoles at Xmas and my boys wanted the Xbone. I imagine this coming Xmas that the PS4 will be on their list.

Regardless the 360 remains the most played machine in the house. Between Minecraft and NHL 14 they spend 95% of their time on the 360. I'm still working through Bioshock Infinite; I've played maybe an hour of DR3 on the Xbone.

I might consider buying one if they remove Kinect. They'd be foolish not to.
Kinect is so wrapped up into the experience I frankly don't know how they accomplish that quickly if they aim to do a Kinect-less sku. I've never been shy about my distaste for the thing but it's not just going to be a matter of removing the hardware, it's going to take some software and UI updates before thats a realistic proposition, IMO.

Though I don't think Microsoft needs to overreact either over one month of sales. They're putting a lot on Titanfall. Weather the storm until then and see what happens.

cdyhybrid

Kinect is so wrapped up into the experience I frankly don't know how they accomplish that quickly if they aim to do a Kinect-less sku. I've never been shy about my distaste for the thing but it's not just going to be a matter of removing the hardware, it's going to take some software and UI updates before thats a realistic proposition, IMO.

Yeah, I'm not expecting it anytime soon. I have to believe it will come at some point, though.

1st January 360 - 249K
Supply constrained, though it sold better than I remember.

Because the 360 had games.

It really didn't. It launched with mostly warmed over XBOX ports. COD 3 (in WWII) was its biggest title. XBones problem is it's way too expensive.

Yeah. Pretty much. It was always going to be a blitz out of the gate and we were going to see insane "greatest console launch ever" numbers and a fairly steep drop come the new year. Nature of the beast after nearly 8 years of waiting for a new generation of hardware. I imagined we'd see more supply issues but those look to have /mostly/ resolved themselves by now.

You pushed a baseline of 300-400k for the 360 when it launched in your previous statement. By all accounts the PS4 moved nearly 300k despite still dealing with some supply issues in the first half of January. It's not outstanding but I wouldn't call it falling off of a cliff either qhen you consider the 360 didn't move nearly what either the One or the PS4 moved when it initially launched.

Did the 360 move nearly 4.5 million units worldwide in the span of two months? Yeah, didn't think so.

True PS4 is doing better, but I don't buy for a minute that "4.2 million worldwide" number, particularly with the console not even out in Japan yet. If that's the case then the drop to <300K was far more precipitous than I thought initially.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Man, I forgot how many forms you need to fill out when starting a new job. Background checks, drug screening, tax forms, direct deposit info, NDAs, benefits forms, bleh.

LJ11

Brandin Cooks is pretty fucking awesome. Watched more of him today. For a small guy he's not afraid of the middle of the field. He continues to twist DBs with some of his routes. Gets vertical in a hurry, attacks the ball too for a smaller guy.

Big guys are envogue but Antonio Brown and Kendall Wright show that smaller wrs can still have an impact. Some team is going to get a good one with Cooks.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm tempted to get Titanfall on PC. I haven't really enjoyed a multiplayer only shooter since 1942 though.

Man, I forgot how many forms you need to fill out when starting a new job. Background checks, drug screening, tax forms, direct deposit info, NDAs, benefits forms, bleh.

I know I'm late but congrats on the new job!

It's weird how drug screening disappeared for me at some point in my career...

Oh man. A cboat rumor? Yankee is going to go nuts.:)

Brandin Cooks is pretty fucking awesome. Watched more of him today. For a small guy he's not afraid of the middle of the field. He continues to twist DBs with some of his routes. Gets vertical in a hurry, attacks the ball too for a smaller guy.

Big guys are envogue but Antonio Brown and Kendall Wright show that smaller wrs can still have an impact. Some team is going to get a good one with Cooks.
Who do you like LB'er wise this year, LJ? Not necessarily high round guys, but mid-round possible impact players?

JABEE

Oh man. A cboat rumor? Yankee is going to go nuts.:)

Who do you like LB'er wise this year, LJ? Not necessarily high round guys, but mid-round possible impact players?

One of these days, YH is going to expose that "fraud."

I love you YH, but don't kill the messenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom