• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chan is still among us.

Raise7.gif

Don't get stitches

Kinect is so wrapped up into the experience I frankly don't know how they accomplish that quickly if they aim to do a Kinect-less sku. I've never been shy about my distaste for the thing but it's not just going to be a matter of removing the hardware, it's going to take some software and UI updates before thats a realistic proposition, IMO.

Though I don't think Microsoft needs to overreact either over one month of sales. They're putting a lot on Titanfall. Weather the storm until then and see what happens.
Agreed and I completely agree with your review of the damn thing earlier today.

Future, how is Kinect integrated into the console? Just the voice stuff for the menus or are the launch games heavily reliant on it?
Game wise, it's a graveyard as far as Kinect goes. Nothing requires it. It's all simple add-on stuff like being able to say "Story Mode" on the main menu of Dead Rising 3 (I can just press the damn button, thanks) or scream "I'm over here!" at zombies to get their attention as an example.

However, Its fully integrated into the UI. Sure you can do many of the functions without voice control but (and this my opinion) I feel its not as intuitive and you get a sense that the thing was completely designed to be a voice driven operating system. Apps like Netflix for instance are designed much like the UI with Metro style blocks primarily to give you the ability to make voice selections.

The TV integration is almost entirely voice driven. Without the voice commands you might as well just bring the fucking guide menu up on your set top and not bother at all. You take away the ability to say "Xbox Watch HBO" and you've all but killed that entire initiative dead and when you've touted the thing as an all-in-one media hub?

Removing Kinect opens up a myriad of issues. Substantial UI overhaul, app updates, rethinking of the TV strategy and a redesign of that functionality, etc. Not saying it's not possible but it won't happen overnight and I think you've made the point before - once you remove it what do you have left? A less powerful PS4 with Microsoft first party titles as a differentiator.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Game wise, it's a graveyard as far as Kinect goes. Nothing requires it. It's all simple add-on stuff like being able to say "Story Mode" on the main menu of Dead Rising 3 (I can just press the damn button, thanks) or scream "I'm over here!" at zombies to get their attention as an example.

However, Its fully integrated into the UI. Sure you can do many of the functions without voice control but (and this my opinion) I feel its not as intuitive and you get a sense that the thing was completely designed to be a voice driven operating system. Apps like Netflix for instance are designed much like the UI with Metro style blocks primarily to give you the ability to make voice selections.

The TV integration is almost entirely voice driven. Without the voice commands you might as well just bring the fucking guide menu up on your set top and not bother at all. You take away the ability to say "Xbox Watch HBO" and you've all but killed that entire initiative dead and when you've touted the thing as an all-in-one media hub?

Removing Kinect opens up a myriad of issues.

Sometimes I think I'd be more likely to buy an Xbone for $100 less without Kinect but then it's basically the exact same thing as the PS4 but with worse graphics (and no rudimentary touchpad I suppose). So in a way they should stick with Kinect if nothing else to keep it as something that's different from the PS4.

Crisco

Banned
Look, if you think the idea of a laggy mouse with no buttons that doubles as a glorified clapper is worth $100 extra dollars, go get the Xbox One. Otherwise, you get the PS4 to play the best version of your favorite sequel.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Clowney wants to run a 4.4 40 yd dash, what happens if he really runs sub 4.5?

I think the thing about Clowney is that being drafted anywhere other than #1 is a failure considering where people ranked him this time last year. So if he goes #1 then it was practically expected, if he goes below that then that's a regression.

cdyhybrid

Brandin Cooks is pretty fucking awesome. Watched more of him today. For a small guy he's not afraid of the middle of the field. He continues to twist DBs with some of his routes. Gets vertical in a hurry, attacks the ball too for a smaller guy.

Big guys are envogue but Antonio Brown and Kendall Wright show that smaller wrs can still have an impact. Some team is going to get a good one with Cooks.

Yep. He pretty much always got his when we played Oregon State, except for 2 seasons ago when we knocked him out of the game (or was that Markus Wheaton, I can't remember).

LJ11

Oh man. A cboat rumor? Yankee is going to go nuts.:)

Who do you like LB'er wise this year, LJ? Not necessarily high round guys, but mid-round possible impact players?

I guess this depends on what mid round means. Are we talking second day or third?

Regardless, Telvin Smith is a guy I really like. Lots of range, he's a menace, does well against the run, plays bigger than his size. Didn't understand why some were questioning his position during the Senior Bowl. Guy is a LB with sick range, no doubt he can play the position.

Borland's pretty good too, very productive but he may have limitations in coverage, same story with Skov.

Smith will be the best backer available on day 2 along with Van Noy (who could actually go in the first).

I guess this depends on what mid round means. Are we talking second day or third?

Regardless, Telvin Smith is a guy I really like. Lots of range, he's a menace, does well against the run, plays bigger than his size. Didn't understand why some were questioning his position during the Senior Bowl. Guy is a LB with sick range, no doubt he can play the position.

Borland's pretty good too, very productive but he may have limitations in coverage, same story with Skov.

Smith will be the best backer available on day 2 along with Van Noy (who could actually go in the first).
I'm praying Van Noy drops to day 2. Doubt it though.

Awesome, thanks. I'll have to see if I can find some stuff on Smith. I hope the Giants don't go another draft ignoring the position. Beason is fine on the inside if limited but we need outside backers that can cover desperately and depth in the middle or even improvement ii Beason wants too much to stay. The offense will get a lot of attention but I can't stand to see another Lavonte David or Kiko Alonso pass us by.

jbug617

Banned
Any of you guys buying the WWE Network? I was thinking about buying it for the PPV but i'm not sure yet because of the possibility of Comcast putting a cap on my internet freaks me out.

Any of you guys buying the WWE Network? I was thinking about buying it for the PPV but i'm not sure yet because of the possibility of Comcast putting a cap on my internet freaks me out.
I want to get it. I'm not sure I'm going to be using it for all 6 months though. Just mainly for a month's worth of watching old shows and monthly PPVs.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I'm glad I don't have a data cap. And yeah I'm signing up for it. I order WM every year and this is basically a replacement to that.

Although the first PPV on the service being WM itself has me worried. Chances are shit will go horribly wrong.

LJ11

Awesome, thanks. I'll have to see if I can find some stuff on Smith. I hope the Giants don't go another draft ignoring the position. Beason is fine on the inside if limited but we need outside backers that can cover desperately and depth in the middle or even improvement ii Beason wants too much to stay. The offense will get a lot of attention but I can't stand to see another Lavonte David or Kiko Alonso pass us by.

Kiko has to work on his game, run specifically. Teams can use his aggressiveness against him. Late in the season he was hesitant too because he didn't want to over pursue. his instincts in coverage were fine, but he has to improve against the run.

I'm telling you, Lavonte was a fucking no brainer. the guy, to me, was a first rounder and I thought he was as good as Kuechly. I didn't understand why he was drafted where he was. He was a steal.

JCizzle

I wish Nintendo had a better online system. Had a snow day from work and wanted to play Bravely default, but no stores open and I'd rather not play the game than use their archaic purchasing system. They really need to get their shit together!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I wish Nintendo had a better online system. Had a snow day from work and wanted to play Bravely default, but no stores open and I'd rather not play the game than use their archaic purchasing system. They really need to get their shit together!

Yeah it sucks that some of the titles I wanted to check out on the 3DS are download only, like
Senran Kagura and
the latest Phoenix Wright game.

RBH

I might wait until the summer to buy it, sadly. I'd buy it on Day 1 otherwise, but I'm gonna have to start going into hermit mode soon with my board exams coming up.

But for any wrestling fan (lapsed or current), I think it's a no-brainer purchase. And the news about the Hall of Fame airing on the WWE Network live and in its entirety is the icing on the cake.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Removing Kinect opens up a myriad of issues. Substantial UI overhaul, app updates, rethinking of the TV strategy and a redesign of that functionality, etc. Not saying it's not possible but it won't happen overnight and I think you've made the point before - once you remove it what do you have left? A less powerful PS4 with Microsoft first party titles as a differentiator.

Agree 100%.

I've actually been quite impressed with the Xbox One's Kinect voice controls. Before I bought it, it was something I never thought I'd use. Now, I use it every day. I think it would be a mistake to take Kinect out.

Now just give me a Dance Central game.

i have had my kinect on xbone disabled since day 1 and i will never use it. i don't have cable/satellite so i guess if you did have that maybe it's worth having but from a game perspective (which is why i have an xbone and the only reason why) it's a worthless item.

i said this in another thread but XBL on xbone is a gigantic piece of shit. a complete joke. it's like everything is a fucking app. want to see what friends are online? sure, you exit out and a new app opens. want to see what achievement you just got? sure, you exit out and a new app opens. the sytem invite system is pathetic. why is it if someone invites me, and i click the X to show the invite it disappears if i go back out momentarily? where does the invite go?

the UI is slow, the way they organize your friends is cluttered and confusing, the way they organize your messages is confusing. i don't know, i guess coming from ps4 PSN (which i consider to be more or less bare bones but extremely fast and simple) it's just garbage.

oh and ever since DH got purchased by amazon KI has had some issues online and now for the past 3 nights i haven't been able to even play online because of errors. i picked the perfect time to buy an xbox one!

RBH

crunchytaco.jpg

Taco Bell is planning to roll out its mobile ordering platform nationwide later this year, according to a report from Nation's Restaurant News, an industry trade publication. Taco Bell has been developing its new mobile ordering app for two-and-a-half years, testing the platform at five stores in California.

A number of other restaurants have supported mobile ordering, including Chipotle, as well as pizza restaurants including Domino's and Pizza Hut. However, a quick-serve restaurant like Taco Bell provides a different type of service with much less customization and customers that expect prompt turnaround on orders.

The app will allow users to find their closest restaurant, display pricing specific to that location along with customized menu selections and more. Users will be able to use Taco Bell gift cards or stored credit cards, with orders flagged in the restaurant as from a mobile device. Then, the app determines the users' location to determine when they are near the restaurant and only then will it send the order to be prepared.

Workers will be challenged to maintain speed of service during peak hours, when restaurants are receiving a steady flow of mobile orders at the same time guests are lined up at the counter. However, [Jeff Jenkins, mobile lead for Taco Bell] contends that mobile ordering will help eliminate some of the drag caused by consumers with “menu board anxiety,” as well as improving accuracy. When ordering by smartphone, for example, guests can take their time deciding whether to add sour cream or remove the cheese without holding up the line. “It’s really more about convenience and customization,” he noted.

Taco Bell told NRN that it expects young Millennials, its primary customer demographic, will embrace the mobile ordering platform. NRN claims that 74 percent of consumers aged 18 to 34 said they would order takeout/delivery on a mobile device, if it were available.

According to Jenkins, Taco Bell's mobile lead, "Mobile is the biggest shift in QSR since the drive thru" and "if you can get 10 million people to download your app, you’re putting a portal to Taco Bell in 10 million pockets."

Taco Bell has an existing app, but the new mobile ordering is expected to roll out nationally later this year.
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/02/13/taco-bell-mobile-ordering/

Josh-Freeman-SOS-500x573.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom