• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dionysus

Yaldog
Does anyone believe this doesn't go on at other organizations? I won't condemn with a broad brush that all the teams have incidents as bad as this, but I also think it unlikely this is just a Dolphins problem.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Does anyone believe this doesn't go on at other organizations? I won't condemn with a broad brush that all the teams have incidents as bad as this, but I also think it unlikely this is just a Dolphins problem.

Valid point, but seriously, just fuck the Dolphins. I mean, come on.

So if someone gets arrested for drunk driving he should say aayyyye! I'm not the only one BRAH!

KingGondo

Banned
How could Philbin let this go on?
I'm just gonna go ahead and assume you didn't watch when the Dolphins were on Hard Knocks?

Joe Philbin is the least authoritative person to ever be put on TV.

He wouldn't be able to control harassment at a nursing home, much less in an NFL locker room.

dionysus said:
Even if it does go on in other locker rooms, that fact is irrelevant.

That kind of behavior shouldn't be tolerated in any workplace.

Agreed. But I also have a hard time imagining the level of harassment goes on in successful franchises. I can't imagine Ray Lewis tolerating some of this, or Peyton being okay with the level of harassment.

jakncoke

Banned
a saints fan that has never posted in here posted a thread about this issue. Cajun needs to contract him to post in here seeing the rest of saints-age abandoned him.

His name shows up on some of the group text messages. He seems like the same sort of guy but he probably just hadn't been there long enough to really gel with the group.

Report says he didn't know.
I don't see how. Guys are dressing up and harassing trainers, coaches are involved. Seems crazy that the HC had no idea.

dionysus

Yaldog
Even if it does go on in other locker rooms, that fact is irrelevant.

That kind of behavior shouldn't be tolerated in any workplace.

That is not what I am implying. If the NFL wants to be just they can't pretend it is an isolated incident.

Both NFL and journalists actively cover up investigating anything unless they are forced into it by someone going public.

Can't wait for the media to act surprised about this.

This is partly what I was going to eventually get at. And also they build narratives about good players and bad players that really don't do justice to either the good or the bad. Look how the media treated Barkley and Jordan. They did their best to never expose anything about Jordan's personal life but acted outraged that Barkley would gamble.

So now are the NFL and the media going to act outraged and do some hardcore investigating of the Dolphins, but do their best to make sure any other organizations black eyes remain safely buried?

That is not what I am implying. If the NFL wants to be just they can't pretend it is an isolated incident.

Both NFL and journalists actively cover up investigating anything unless they are forced into it by someone going public.

This is partly what I was going to eventually get at.

And this will change how?

jakncoke

Banned
You guys remember that ESPN show Playmakers that NFL pressured into cancellation supposedly too harsh a view on football players. lol

JFF got me feeling like a little excited school girl.
“If something happens, and it’s the Cleveland Browns, I’m going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland,” Manziel said to reporters John McClain of the Chronicle and Charean Williams of the Star-Telegram. “I don’t care if they’ve had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I’m going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl.”

“They have talent on their team, and they’re guys who wanted to go out and fight and they’re not content with just being in the NFL and making millions of dollars,” Manziel told McClain and Williams. “They want to win. They’re tired of the stereotype of Cleveland being losers. I can see that. You can see (them) play with a lot of heart.”

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&post_id=28691

Why? It's a locker room.

There are probably 31 other instances in the NFL just like this. If you haven't been offended about something said in a locker room, you've never been in one.

There is locker room banter and then there is the shit that is being revealed in this report. Some of it is clearly way over the line and brushing it off with "It's a locker room" or "This happens at the 31 other NFL teams" doesn't change the fact that this is unacceptable.

Fantomex

What a mess, as if our team didn't suck enough. Philbin should been let go so a new GM could start anew, what does Ross do now? FIre Philbin and let his runt of the litter GM hire a coach this late? Incompetence starts at the top. If your owner is legit, it trickles all the way down. Ross was swayed by that media hype about Philbin holding this team together blah blah blah.

A part that stands out to me about the report is Martin admitting to being bullied in junior high and high school. It's like dude, that long? At no point did you talk to a counselor, teacher, coach or your moms on what to do?

BigAT

Your Miami Dolphins:

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
One player referred to Incognito as "a disease" who "divides a locker room." Yet he was voted captain. Alrighty.

effzee

Bill Bellichecks daughter is ugly. Not that I expected hotness but dang she uggo

Yeah I expected at least a human being.

I shudder to think who or what the mother looked like. She basically looks like Bellicheck with few (very few) female body traits.

AND WOW AT THE MARTIN STUFF!

Even if shit happens across the league, I doubt it happens to this extent. Or that coaches are oblivious. Or that those same players are promoted to be leaders especially after being charged with sexual harassment at a company event. Or that it should be ignored and forgotten about. Hopefully, if this is happening at other places, this incident now gives some players the chance to speak and put a stop to it in their locker rooms.

Pretty sure a lot of coaches actually value a decent locker room with solid veteran leadership which doesn't include berating fellow coaches, trainers, and players with racial slurs and threats.

Wes

venison crêpe
Dammit BG!

Now is not the time! We need to focus on the other dysfunctional franchise.

EyeFive.gif

There is locker room banter and then there is the shit that is being revealed in this report. Some of it is clearly way over the line and brushing it off with "It's a locker room" or "This happens at the 31 other NFL teams" doesn't change the fact that this is unacceptable.

Never said it was acceptable.

What i'm saying is that it's pretty stupid to act surprised at it. 53 roided up athletes who play on the national stage, are paid millions of dollars and have no accountability to subordinates. What did you expect? High tea at noon and weekly sing alongs?

NFL knew a black eye was coming no matter what. People acting like Philbin didn't know, of course he did! He probably came from an organization that did the same thing!

in image form:

jBQvs.png

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
TMZ: Darren Sharper has just been charged with 2 counts of rape in L.A.

Wow, unbelievably shocked with this news. Guy always seemed like a laid back dude on NFLN. Hope these charges aren't true, but if they are, let him rot in a jail cell for the rest of his life.

Why are the libs getting all hot and bothered over this Incognito stuff?

It seemed like in good fun ribbing although I haven't seen everything.

Tom Penny

Never said it was acceptable.

What i'm saying is that it's pretty stupid to act surprised at it. 53 roided up athletes who play on the national stage, are paid millions of dollars and have no accountability to subordinates. What did you expect? High tea at noon and weekly sing alongs?

NFL knew a black eye was coming no matter what. People acting like Philbin didn't know, of course he did! He probably came from an organization that did the same thing!

in image form:

Plenty of roided out athleties especially in baseball were there are plenty of Asian players. I don't hear about them popping off like that and I'm pretty sure there are plenty of toolbags in baseball too.

Talon

By the way, that Dallas newscaster's video essay was so on-point.

Leonard Little kills a guy driving drunk, and the league doesn't even blink.
Michael Pittman literally t-bones a vehicle in which his child in the back seat with intent to injure his baby's momma, and, yet again, the Bucs held onto him for another 3 years.
Why are the libs getting all hot and bothered over this Incognito stuff?

It seemed like in good fun ribbing although I haven't seen everything.
The Pearl Harbor shit goes way over the head of ribbing.

Plenty of roided out athleties especially in baseball were there are plenty of Asian players. I don't hear about them popping off like that and I'm pretty sure there are plenty of toolbags in baseball too.

You don't hear about it, so it must not happen. Until you do hear about it.

Remember when the Red Sox got blown up because the locker room was a mess?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Your Miami Dolphins:

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
One player referred to Incognito as "a disease" who "divides a locker room." Yet he was voted captain. Alrighty.

Because the guy has already shown he was a nut and people were probably scared of him.

You don't hear about it, so it must not happen. Until you do hear about it.

Remember when the Red Sox got blown up because the locker room was a mess?
The Sox players were drinking and being lazy, ignoring their manager. I have not seen one report that said players and coaches were tormenting foreign players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom