• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

For mech. This is an Insider piece on spring QB battles in CFB, but

Repeated visits last year to College Station taught me a few things. Chief among them, I learned of Fuego’s delicious tacos and that Billy Liucci knows literally everyone. I also figured out that there were parts dread and relief from the coaching staff when it came to the subject of replacing Johnny Manziel.

Manziel, as you might have discerned, was a high-maintenance guy. It was a guessing game what sort of mood and attitude he would have each time he walked into the football building. I was witness to that temperature-taking on a couple of occasions, and, chances are, that was Manziel on good behavior.

There’s a strong bet that the next starting QB for Texas A&M will end up being an easier-to-manage personality.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/travis-haney/post?id=1943&ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_TopSpringQbBattles

Mad Dog Sports Radio ‏ @ MadDogRadio 25m
Mayock on # ScheinOnSports: "If I'm sitting there with a choice of (Jadeveon Clowney) and Khalil Mack, I'm probably going Khalil Mack"

squicken

Mad Dog Sports Radio ‏ @ MadDogRadio 25m
Mayock on # ScheinOnSports: "If I'm sitting there with a choice of (Jadeveon Clowney) and Khalil Mack, I'm probably going Khalil Mack"

Spurrier dumped on Clowney's work ethic today. He's totally Mario/Peppers and hopefully not Haynesworth. I hate those kinds of players. Even when they are good you don't enjoy cheering for them b/c you know they could be better if they cared more. Tough to cheer for a guy who isn't as invested emotionally as the rest of the team

Spurrier dumped on Clowney's work ethic today. He's totally Mario/Peppers and hopefully not Haynesworth. I hate those kinds of players. Even when they are good you don't enjoy cheering for them b/c you know they could be better if they cared more. Tough to cheer for a guy who isn't as invested emotionally as the rest of the team

Yeah, can't say I'm too upset the Raiders will miss the Clowney train.

MechDX

Exactly. Doesn't fit the description O'Brien wants in players. The "talk" they are interested is just another smoke screen to get someone excited and get some trade offers.

squicken

Cosell must lurk GAF to get my insights. He was doing Tennessee radio and said Clowney has got some Haynesworth to him. Not playing through injuries, and whatever excuses you want to make about effort, he doesn't always play hard, and that's a red flag

MechDX

Cosell must lurk GAF to get my insights. He was doing Tennessee radio and said Clowney has got some Haynesworth to him. Not playing through injuries, and whatever excuses you want to make about effort, he doesn't always play hard, and that's a red flag

Im Cosell. Let the truth out

I think everyone has observed all season long that Clowney has some serious motivation issues. The guy bought into his own hype and mailed the season in. It's a damn shame because with his build, there's no doubt he'd have lived up to the hype if he put in the effort.

MechDX

I think everyone has observed all season long that Clowney has some serious motivation issues. The guy bought into his own hype and mailed the season in. It's a damn shame because with his build, there's no doubt he'd have lived up to the hype if he put in the effort.

As Ive been saying for months: Mario Williams 2.0

Mario would have games that would blow your mind watching his athleticism and dominance then he would just vanish for a couple games. What he did to Rothlesberger and the Steelers in 2011 was criminal

MechDX

BOB could fix Clowney and turn him into LT. Do it BOB!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/02/18/teddy-bridgewater/5591053/

BRADENTON, Fla. — Chris Weinke knows firsthand what new Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien prizes in a franchise quarterback.

Weinke, a former Heisman Trophy winner and NFL quarterback, has trained a quarterback O'Brien recruited, Michael O'Connor, when O'Brien was coaching at Penn State.

Could it be that Weinke, the IMG Academy quarterback guru to Russell Wilson, Cam Newton and Ryan Tannehill, is training O'Brien's future Texans quarterback, too, in former Louisville star Teddy Bridgewater? Houston owns the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft that begins May 8.

Bridgewater, who led Louisville to a 23-3 record over his final two seasons, is widely considered the most pro-ready passer among a talented 2014 crop.

"No question, Teddy would fit Bill O'Brien," Weinke told USA TODAY Sports. "I know what Bill is looking for in a quarterback because he recruited my high school quarterback to Penn State before going to the NFL. Bill is looking for the total package."

Which means?

"Teddy has all the intangibles to be special," Weinke said. "He's similar to Russell Wilson in terms of elusiveness, sensing danger with pocket feel. His accuracy is as good as I've ever seen."

With elite pocket poise and anticipation, Bridgewater completed 71% of his passes, throwing for 31 touchdowns, 3,970 yards and four interceptions for 12-1 Louisville last season.

"What I like about Teddy is you see him make NFL-style throws," NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said. "Their offense is under center. ... Coaches and scouts love that. It makes it easier to evaluate him."

1392770367000-teddy-bridgewater.jpg

Teddy has put on a little bulk. He is no Matt Stafford though

How to you get told that you're a once in a generation talent repeatedly and not start to coast?

Because they want to be the number 1 pick and get that money and it should have been painfully obvious what he was doing to his stock in that regard. Unless you're in a historically bad draft for QB like last year, it takes A LOT to beat out a QB for the first pick. That's challenge enough.

LJ11

How to you get told that you're a once in a generation talent repeatedly and not start to coast?

Word.

And imo, Clowney is on another planet when compared to amateur Mario. I don't care what Mario did in drills, on game day Clowney's the better amateur more often than not.

I also laughed when the Browns would supposedly skip over Clowney if he's on the board. Pettine with Clowney and Mingo, good fucking night.

Because they want to be the number 1 pick and get that money and it should have been painfully obvious what he was doing to his stock in that regard. Unless you're in a historically bad draft for QB like last year, it takes A LOT to beat out a QB for the first pick. That's challenge enough.

There's no real difference between #1 and #3 these days besides bragging rights.

dionysus

Yaldog
Admittedly I have no skills in evaluating players or putting together a roster, but not drafting Clowney with your first pick seems like a huge mistake given the much greater open questions about the QBs in the draft.

Once in a generation talent vs. some dudes who each have big flaws in transitioning to the NFL at QB. Even Clowney isn't a sure thing but he certainly is less risk than any of the QBs.

Character issues I got to believe are way overblown, with a 24/7 media during the offseason we got to have something to talk about. NFL doesn't give a shit about having rapists, wife beaters, DUI killers, etc. in the locker room and they even tolerate it in 2nd and third stringers. Those are way bigger character issues than sporadic laziness or liking to drink and be the BMOC. Sure they evaluate it, but at the end of the day I bet 9 times out of 10 teams care more about the athletic potential of the player unless the dude has Mike Tyson levels of mental issues.

Edit. Texans might care but the Texans will never go anywhere in the playoffs and will be a lifetime 500 or worse team under the current owner.

MechDX

3 Raiders. It's not just a stereotype.(Figurs also did a stint with them).

I miss Al Davis. Yeah we have his successors to the throne in Jerry and Irsay, but its not the same. Al knew what he wanted and got it. Jerry just sits on his throne in denial and Irsay gets ideas from his spiritual advisor that appears in the smoke.

squicken

Word.

And imo, Clowney is on another planet when compared to amateur Mario. I don't care what Mario did in drills, on game day Clowney's the better amateur more often than not.

I also laughed when the Browns would supposedly skip over Clowney if he's on the board. Pettine with Clowney and Mingo, good fucking night.

I agree that he will be tough to pass on, but lots of elite talents manage to play hard. Everyone has to take a play off occasionally, but both Megatron and Andre Johnson have always been elite talents that busted their asses. Revis is a shit but he works his butt off. Watt has his ass kissed all the time and he still never shuts down.

My guess is that even as a pro Clowney will never match those guys in terms of effort. He's going to be Peppers/Mario where it won't be there lots of games, but when he's on, he will be better than either of those guys

I agree that he will be tough to pass on, but lots of elite talents manage to play hard. Everyone has to take a play off occasionally, but both Megatron and Andre Johnson have always been elite talents that busted their asses. Revis is a shit but he works his butt off. Watt has his ass kissed all the time and he still never shuts down.

My guess is that even as a pro Clowney will never match those guys in terms of effort. He's going to be Peppers/Mario where it won't be there lots of games, but when he's on, he will be better than either of those guys

While every guy you mentioned is an elite talent, none of them got hyped to the stratosphere in college like Clowney has.

squicken

While every guy you mentioned is an elite talent, none of them got hyped to the stratosphere in college like Clowney has.

Right. I'm willing to excuse it under your reasoning. What I am saying is it won't change when he gets to the pros. He's going to disappear for games at time. By then the why doesn't matter. Is he so good that the games he does show up is worth it?

I'm sure there will be some national TV game where he has 4 sacks and a strip sack and some TV guy will say he shut up his critics, ignoring the 4 games he no showed. I saw it with Mario. Saw it with Peppers. Talent may be better but I think this is one of those things that doesn't change with maturity. Loves the lifestyle the game affords him more than the game

Right. I'm willing to excuse it under your reasoning. What I am saying is it won't change when he gets to the pros. He's going to disappear for games at time. By then the why doesn't matter. Is he so good that the games he does show up is worth it?

I'm sure there will be some national TV game where he has 4 sacks and a strip sack and some TV guy will say he shut up his critics, ignoring the 4 games he no showed. I saw it with Mario. Saw it with Peppers. Talent may be better but I think this is one of those things that doesn't change with maturity. Loves the lifestyle the game affords him more than the game

I agree with you completely. Do you skip a talent like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom