• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Its the matthews pedigree.

It's not that he's bad. Borderline top 10. Worst case he is a really good center who can play all over the line. But Robinson has the potential to be the best LT since Ogden/Pace/Jones. He has all the ability, and already is a devastating run blocker. Ravens played Ogden at at guard for a year while he learned to pass block. Rams have to fix their OL. If CLE and JAX need QBs they can trade to 4 and still get him or Watkins

edit: I'd rather have a monster that can move but is raw in pass pro than a polished dude who may not be able to move people. Mathews can get stronger ... but so can Robinson

Tom Penny

Jake Mathews and Greg Robinson are the same height, only Robinson weighs 20 pounds more, has longer arms and did 32 reps to Mathews 24. All mocks that have Mathews higher are selling a flat Earth. Still a game about smashing dudes

Thought we already discussed how combine number don't mean anything.

I read that entire thread so you don't have to!

The recap:

- OP and live-in girlfriend haven't had sex for over three years.
- OP asks girlfriend if they'll ever have sex again and she bites his head off.
- Girlfriend is caught sexting with furry horseman about creampies. On Thanksgiving.
- OP continues living with girlfriend.
- Girlfriend travels to Furcon and sleeps with King Kong Dong, Mr. Friskie, One-Eyed Willie Whiskers, and Hairy Penis Monster.
- OP allows girlfriend to continue living at his place, despite not paying rent.

Nameless

I read that entire thread so you don't have to!

The recap:

- OP and live-in girlfriend haven't had sex for over three years.
- OP asks girlfriend if they'll ever have sex again and she bites his head off.
- Girlfriend is caught sexting with furry horseman about creampies. On Thanksgiving.
- OP continues living with girlfriend.
- Girlfriend travels to Furcon and sleeps with King Kong Dong, Mr. Friskie, One-Eyed Willie Whiskers, and Hairy Penis Monster.
- OP allows girlfriend to continue living at his place, despite not paying rent.

So.much. simping.

bionic77

Tebow's either secretly gay or a master at disguising his dick slangin because I refuse to believe he turns down all the hot Christian-Right tail that's thrown at his feet constantly. Christ himself didn't have that much willpower.
You don't even believe in Tebow?

Man some Niner fans are whack!

Spinluck

Because they're cool as hell?

I think people are mixing up cool, neat device with something that can succeed on a consumer level. VR ain't ever gonna be worth shit until somebody figures out a way to do it without any sort of headgear required at all.

I'm not saying they aren't cool..

I just don't see it being affordable enough to where it will take off. I feel like it will end up like 3D gaming.

And of course like you mentioned, the software will matter most.

Draxal

It's not that he's bad. Borderline top 10. Worst case he is a really good center who can play all over the line. But Robinson has the potential to be the best LT since Ogden/Pace/Jones. He has all the ability, and already is a devastating run blocker. Ravens played Ogden at at guard for a year while he learned to pass block. Rams have to fix their OL. If CLE and JAX need QBs they can trade to 4 and still get him or Watkins

edit: I'd rather have a monster that can move but is raw in pass pro than a polished dude who may not be able to move people. Mathews can get stronger ... but so can Robinson

How would Robinson perform after injuries rob of him that pure power? The Matthews pedigree means he has top notch work ethic/technique and yes they're probably overvaluing him because of this.

Colasante

WOAH. The Browns nearly traded for Jim Harbaugh, per sources to Pro Football Talk.

The Browns’ unpredictable head-coaching search nearly finished with what would have been the most unpredictable outcome of any head-coaching search since Jon Gruden was traded from the Raiders to the Buccaneers a dozen years ago.

Per multiple league sources, the Cleveland Browns nearly pulled off a trade with the 49ers for the rights to coach Jim Harbaugh.

A deal that would have sent multiple draft picks to San Francisco was in place between the teams. But Harbaugh ultimately decided not to leave the 49ers.

The 49ers could not immediately be reached for comment. Efforts to contact the 49ers continue.

The Browns declined to comment specifically on whether an effort was made to acquire Jim Harbaugh. The Browns characterized the search as thorough, and the Browns acknowledged that many options were considered. The Browns emphasized that the team is excited about its new coach Mike Pettine.

A deal would have been stunning, for several reasons. Harbaugh has taken the 49ers to the NFC title game in each of his three years with the team. Also, he would have joined the same division as his brother, Ravens coach John Harbaugh.

Which means they would have been squaring off at least twice per year, and competing directly for division titles and/or wild-card positioning.

That would have been insane. It makes sense to a certain degree since Mike Lombardi was a finalist along with Trent Baalke for the 49ers' GM position a few years ago.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/21/sources-browns-nearly-traded-for-jim-harbaugh/

How would Robinson perform after injuries rob of him that pure power? The Matthews pedigree means he has top notch work ethic/technique and yes they're probably overvaluing him because of this.

Good point.

Reliability is what you need in an O line pick and in that regard you can't go wrong with a Matthews..

c'mon YH. Let's not be reductive.

We don't have to do this, though. I see y'all like the furry talk and that the Combine is pointless. I'll take Robinson's career and we'll see

I love the combine stuff. I wish we got more talk about it. I just am a fan of a team that has been burned big time by going for the physical freak. I will never get over the Mamula pick, and I am still worried that Lane is going to go that route. Give me the more solid guy every single time.

squicken

I was listening to LZ talk about this a couple of weeks back, and he related a story about his dad as he went from college to pro coaching. His dad used to be a big believer in feet and technique, and those are still important. But he found out that in the NFL, it's all about functional strength. It's why Fluker can do his job even though he is sloppy and waist bends and all that. He's strong as fuck. He gets a hold of his man and it's over.

ba6cae4e25e785ca9ed5d5bb7e0ceb2e_large.gif

Nameless

squicken

WOAH. The Browns nearly traded for Jim Harbaugh, per sources to Pro Football Talk.

That would have been insane. It makes sense to a certain degree since Mike Lombardi was a finalist along with Trent Baalke for the 49ers' GM position a few years ago.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/21/sources-browns-nearly-traded-for-jim-harbaugh/

Not surprising. Rumor is Ross will go all out for Harbs or David Shaw next year. I guess Harbs doesn't always see eye to eye with York and Baalke and is keeping his options open

Draxal

I was listening to LZ talk about this a couple of weeks back, and he related a story about his dad as he went from college to pro coaching. His dad used to be a big believer in feet and technique, and those are still important. But he found out that in the NFL, it's all about functional strength. It's why Fluker can do his job even though he is sloppy and waist bends and all that. He's strong as fuck. He gets a hold of his man and it's over.

ba6cae4e25e785ca9ed5d5bb7e0ceb2e_large.gif

Personally, I wanted Warmack for the Giants pretty badly last year, so I'm not averse to good old hogs, but injuries will take their toll on these players. Its sad for me to see that state that Chris Snee is in right now. You have to prepare for players not being that strong in the future, and that is very much the part of the equation all these GMs are using, and usually it's just information that us fans are privy too. It wouldn't suprise me that Robinson was taken over Matthews, as just last year Fischer was taken over Joeckel even though everybody though Joeckel was better until the very end.

Looks like it has happened a few times recently:

1997 Bill Parcels left the Patriots in favor of the Jets and the Patriots were compensated with a first, second, and a third round pick

2000 Parcels resigns, Bill Belichick ascends to the head coaches job for the Jets but opts instead to go to New England. The Jets were compensated with the Patriots number 1 draft pick

2002 Jon Gruden left Oakland to join Tampa and Oakland got Tampa's number 1 pick.

In 2006, Herm Edwards did leave New York Jets to sign with Kansas City. Edwards still had 2 years left on his contract with NYJ but was not as high profile as the other three ... so the Jets got only a fourth round pick for him.

squicken

It's pretty telling CLE doesn't deny report. So that means SF agreed to trade Harbs, and he killed it. So Harbs knows SF is tired of his shit and Pettine knows he was like the 40th choice

The Browns are like a gift that keeps on giving

Nameless

If you don't believe in Tebow I am afraid of what you do believe in.

Even Raider fans are not as blasphemous.

I'm a monotheists who believes that the Universe sprang into existence in 1956 with Joe Montana like any other rational red blooded American.

Colasante

It's pretty telling CLE doesn't deny report. So that means SF agreed to trade Harbs, and he killed it. So Harbs knows SF is tired of his shit and Pettine knows he was like the 40th choice

The Browns are like a gift that keeps on giving

I saw another report that Harbaugh initiated contact with Cleveland, but the agreement fell apart over the compensation. I'm less inclined to believe that, though.

Why would Harbaugh leave a team hes led to 3 nfccgs and a super bowl?

He's been negotiating a contract extension with the 49ers, and evidently they're not willing to pay him what he thinks he's worth.

bionic77

I'm a monotheists who believes that the Universe sprang into existence in 1956 with Joe Montana like any other rational red blooded American.
Ok that's fine.

I thought you were a weirdo for a second there with no honest beliefs. Like some damned Patriots or Jets fan.

MRSA

Banned
Let's be honest with ourselves now. Pats are the worst. Tebow tried to save them yet they rejected him. Fuckin infidel sinners.

Their fans are on a whole other connotation of degenerative slime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom