• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ProFootballTalk ‏ @ ProFootballTalk 2m
@ RapSheet . . . Your source is lying or misinformed. # justsaying

Ian Rapoport ‏ @ RapSheet 40s
@ ProFootballTalk it’s actually two high-ranking Niners sources, to be specific

ProFootballTalk ‏ @ ProFootballTalk 2m
@ RapSheet . . . Why won't they deny it on the record? Because they can't.

Oscar ‏ @ BetterRivals 51s
So now we have a report from @ AdamSchefter saying the discussions were internal with the # Browns but didn’t go very far.
Twitter wars

Doomsayer

What a clusterfuck.

I hope there are no merit to these reports, because why the FUCK would you get rid of a coach who has more wins combined in three seasons than our previous three head coaches had in their entire tenure?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
How many draft picks would "compensate" losing a championship-level coach in a "trade"? How does that math even work out? It can only be taken as a consolation prize for your coach taking a better offer elsewhere.

As for control, why would Harbaugh have it at Cleveland? It's not like Seattle in early 2010 where we had no coach or GM, so giving Carroll control could be arranged.

Nameless

What a clusterfuck.

I hope there are no merit to these reports, because why the FUCK would you get rid of a coach who has more wins combined in three seasons than our previous three head coaches had in their entire tenure?

How many times did Phil Jackson almost quit the Lakers? I'm not buying it. The best possible situation for the Niners and Harbaugh is each other. Easily.

He's not going anywhere.

How many draft picks would compensate losing a championship-level coach? How does that math even work out? It can only be taken as a consolation prize for your coach taking a better offer elsewhere.

As for control, why would Harbaugh have it at Cleveland? It's not like Seattle in early 2010 where we had no coach or GM, so giving Carroll control could be arranged.
If they brought in Harbs he would've had final say over Lombardi for sure

Drakeon

There better be no credence to those reports. We can't afford to lose Harbs. We better not be looking to trade him either. First priority needs to be to extend him this offseason.

LJ11

So technique doesnt matter?

The dud caved skulls, I'm all about that technique.

Guy is light on his feet, watch him in space blocking on screens...oh my. This dude is a souped up version of a young Jason Peters.

I was listening to LZ talk about this a couple of weeks back, and he related a story about his dad as he went from college to pro coaching. His dad used to be a big believer in feet and technique, and those are still important. But he found out that in the NFL, it's all about functional strength. It's why Fluker can do his job even though he is sloppy and waist bends and all that. He's strong as fuck. He gets a hold of his man and it's over.

ba6cae4e25e785ca9ed5d5bb7e0ceb2e_large.gif

Cordy Glenn is another recent example. Long arms, powerful, good feet for A man his size but can get sloppy. He's wrecked some of the best ends in pass pro, his run blocking is nowhere near Robinsons, because of his size/strength/length.

squicken

Jed York is now in the Twitter fight blasting Florio. Guess we know who Rappoport's 49ers source is haha

edit: Exactly. It's like that Fluker body slam. You can do a lot wrong, but if you are slamming dudes into the ground play after play, that's a good base to start from

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Who's our last hope? Rodgers? Luck? JFF?

Matthew Stafford is only 25, so it`ll be him, Rodgers and maybe Luck. I also think Matt Ryan has proven himself, and will have a decent comeback season.

I`ve had the sense that after Harbs initial success with Kaep, he`s realized Kaep is a mediocre QB, with great running ability. What you see with Kaep is what you get and the Niners are going to have a lot of problems when they have to give Kaep his contract extension.

Is Kaep a 7 year $90 Million QB you build your team around? If I was a GM or coach like Harbs I wouldn`t give him that money. Kaeps success is due to the team around him, not because of Kaep himself.

Harbs is trying to get off a sinking ship, and the Texas rumors, JFF quotes and now the Browns talk confirm this IMO.

MechDX

How many draft picks would "compensate" losing a championship-level coach in a "trade"? How does that math even work out? It can only be taken as a consolation prize for your coach taking a better offer elsewhere.

Gruden went to Tampa for two #1, two #2draft picks and 8 million in cash

Even if this specific rumor of Harbs to the Browns is bogus, there's no denying that the relationship between Harbs and the Niners is strained at best right now.

Him leaving soon is a very real possibility.

MechDX

And the Raiders have not seen the playoffs since the year after. Those four picks and cash sure worked out!

Hey was just answering the question...calm down.

Shows the senility of Davis near the end. To have all those picks and a Superbowl caliber team and to just fail like they did.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Raiders made the right call to trade him and to blow it up. Even Al knew that team was old as fuck and finished. They just missed on every single pick and couldn't find a replacement at HC to keep it going. Callahan was a joke.

jakncoke

Banned
Looking over what Raiders got out of that trade from with Gruden player wise

2002 1st: I might be wrong but it looks like they traded up twice to get Phillip Buchanon, he looks to have played 3 years for them

2002 2nd: Langston Walker 5 years and only 1 being a primary starter

2003 1st: Tyler Brayton 5 years 3 years as a starter

2004 2nd: Jake Grove 5 years

Time and time again shows how much missing on draft classes can hurt your team future.

2002 1st: I might be wrong but it looks like they traded up twice to get Phillip Buchanon, he looks to have played 3 years for them

Time and time again shows how much missing on draft classes can hurt your team future.

Damn guys...What'd I do to piss off this board so everyone brings up these painful memories.

That's a lot of not winning the Superbowl.

They better win the SB soon because eventually all the talent Harbaugh inherit will become old, so far he's been very lucky with the injuries, not a lot of starters lost for the season, drafting at the bottom of the round eventually catches up with every team, if he can't win a SB in the next 3 season Harbaugh will never win one in SF...

"@ckparrot: Amid talk that Jim Harbaugh's future w/ SF is uncertain & reports he was nearly traded to CLE, somewhere Steve Ross pants just tightened."

Like it matters ross would find a way to fuck it up and embarrass the team again.

Syrinx

In addition, they drafted Robert Gallery 2nd overall in 2004.

In addition, they drafted Robert Gallery 2nd overall in 2004.
Yeah, and then Fabian Washington, then Huff, then Russell, then McFadden, then Heyward-Bey...

It's been painful for us.

Hey if you took the time you could see how the recent misses have hurt the Steelers and we're being propped up by hits in years past.

Lol, I've seen it. The thing is, it's not just the first rounds thats been rough, it's been the crazy free agent money we've given folks who don't deserve it, not taking advantage of late rounds, the coaching carousel, not really changing our Defensive scheme from the classic "Never Blitz-Man to man coverage" Al Davis loves so much....

So when, people talk about how it hurts to see your franchise take a nose-dive. I know how to goes....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom