• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Clemson receiver Sammy Watkins said he would love to play in the Lions' offense because of Calvin Johnson and Matthew Stafford.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Texas A&M receiver Mike Evans interviewed with the Detroit Lions on Friday at the NFL combine, while Clemson's Sammy Watkins and USC's Marqise Lee said they had meetings scheduled for this weekend with the club.

Those are the top three receivers in the draft, and each is expected to go in the top 20.

The Lions are entertaining every possibility in their quest for receiver upgrades this offseason, and there's a chance they spend their 10th overall pick on Evans, Watkins or Lee to help take some heat off star Calvin Johnson.

Stafford, as it turns out, is a particular draw. The quarterback had a disappointing 2013 season, but the young wideouts love his aggressive style.

"He throws a lot of side-armed passes. He's a flashy guy. I like him," Evans said. "He's a risk-taker, throws up jump balls and trusts his guys."

Evans is a first-team All-American who has been linked to the Lions in a lot of early mock drafts. He was extremely productive at Texas A&M, where he started all 26 games the past two years, and had a penchant for showing up in the biggest games.

Detroit general manager Martin Mayhew said he would consider receivers of all sizes to complement Johnson, including the Chicago mold of pairing two big receivers together. And Evans certainly fits that mold.

He is 6-foot-5 and 231 pounds, only five pounds lighter than Johnson. That could pose some serious matchup problems for defenses.

"I think it'd be a great combo," Evans said. "Would be a good two-headed monster (with Johnson), help take some coverage off him and it'd be a great experience to learn from him."

Watkins is even more highly regarded than Evans, ranked by most outlets as the top receiver in the draft. But he could be gone by the time Detroit selects at No. 10.

The Clemson star is a total burner -- he said he wants to break the combine record in the 40-yard dash -- and would be a difficult assignment for any defense that also had to contain Johnson.

That makes Detroit attractive to him, because he wouldn't be expected to be the go-to guy right away.

"That's the best situation to go into, because then you're looking at a great player every week," Watkins said. "He's teaching you the ropes, breaking down film of the other other guys. So that'd be a great transition."

Watkins called Stafford a "great" player, but thinks he would look even better with another talented wideout in the lineup.

"I think if he had another dynamic receiver on his side, he would be labeled as one of the greats for many years," Watkins said. "I think for me, it's just about going into the league and trying to dominate every opponent."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/02/detroit_lions_sammy_watkins_mi.html

Rest of the article has a brief snippet of Marquis Lee saying pretty much the same thing, but at this point I know either Evans or Watkins will be there for us at #10.

Can't wait to see our offense in full gear next year. Greatest show on Turf 2.0

I swear if McGloin didn't go undrafted these so-called "analysts" would be giving him more respect. Kid played very well for a rookie, especially when you consider what he was working with.

I only saw him once, I think the Dallas game, and I was really impressed with a couple of his throws. It looks like he's got an NFL caliber arm. Don't know if he'll ever amount to anything, but I saw much worse QB play last year from guys drafted higher with more experience.

MRSA

Banned
So what happened to the Anthony Barr train?

I think he could still be a late first pick. He's too raw and undersized for most NFL scouts. Only 2 years experience at LB but he was pretty beast at LB. He's athletic as fuck being a former RB.

I only saw him once, I think the Dallas game, and I was really impressed with a couple of his throws. It looks like he's got an NFL caliber arm. Don't know if he'll ever amount to anything, but I saw much worse QB play last year from guys drafted higher with more experience.

Exactly. People come down too harshly on McGlovin' right now. We really gotta see how he steps his game up in that second year.

Source: Browns asked about several 49ers coaches, including Harbaugh
jimexpands.jpg

Shortly after the 49ers season ended on Jan. 19, the Browns called to inquire about 49ers assistant coaches Greg Roman and Jim Tomsula, according to a source with knowledge of the conversation. During subsequent conversations, Jim Harbaugh's name also came up, at which point then-Browns CEO Joe Banner listed the compensation Cleveland was willing to provide for the 49ers head coach.

The source, however, said the offer was rebuffed and the conversation never developed from there.

That scenario starts to explain the widely differing reactions by the 49ers and Browns to Friday's report by Pro Football Talk that the two teams were close to pulling off a deal that would have sent Harbaugh to Cleveland for multiple draft picks.

"There was an opportunity there, and it didn't materialize," Jimmy Haslam told told USA TODAY today. Haslam did not elaborate on why the deal fell through.

Haslam's counterpart, however, took to Twitter on Friday with a terse take on the subject. "Report isn't true," Jed York wrote. Harbaugh, meanwhile, said the same thing to several reporters and called it, "Ridiculous" in a brief interview with CSN Bay Area. While the Browns issued a release that acknowledged, but did not deny, the original report, the 49ers have not done so to this point.

Why would the Browns have asked about Harbaugh in January? A month early, a report by The Mercury News detailed friction between Harbaugh and general manager Trent Baalke. Harbaugh and the 49ers also began talking about a contract extension during the summer, but it was tabled when the two sides realized how far apart they were. Talks are expected to resume this offseason.

Meanwhile, the Browns' general manager at the time, Mike Lombardi, is a friend of Harbaugh's from their time with the Raiders. Harbaugh hired Lombardi's son, Mick, as an assistant last year. The Browns may have thought that working alongside Lombardi would appeal to Harbaugh.

Both Banner and Lombardi were fired earlier this month. The Browns never have denied the initial report. Mere days after they called the 49ers, they settled on Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine as their head coach.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archi...coaches-including-harbaugh.html#storylink=cpy

as expected

JABEE

cajunator

Banned
Its nice seeing a Saints coach ranked that high. No matter what people think of him he made some brave decisions and has gambled hard in big games. He never plays scared and thats why he wins a lot. Coach doesnt play scared and that instills confidence even in subpar talent. Of course Brees helps to instill that confidence too but this is a fun time as a Saints fan.

Hahahaha damn fucking right.
I've been watching a lot of the Pettine interviews on ClevelandBrowns.com and really like the guy. Also like that the Browns are taking steps to make him a face of Franchise, with all the Pettine Billboards I've been seeing around.

Also Coaching staff Wants to put bulk onto Mingo, seems like a priority for them

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Its nice seeing a Saints coach ranked that high. No matter what people think of him he made some brave decisions and has gambled hard in big games. He never plays scared and thats why he wins a lot. Coach doesnt play scared and that instills confidence even in subpar talent. Of course Brees helps to instill that confidence too but this is a fun time as a Saints fan.

Sean Payton is def. one of the top three head coaches in the league. He's up there with Belichick and Harbs.

I posted this before but Jim Schwartz' first game as a coach was against the Saints and Sean Payton totally schooled him:

In Jim Schwartz’s first game as head coach, the Lions faced the Saints in New Orleans. The Saints ran a 4-3 defense at the time, but they knew they were facing a rookie quarterback in Matthew Stafford who was preparing all week using film of them playing a 4-3 defense. Sean Payton had the defensive coaches mix in a lot of 3-4 concepts just to confuse the rookie and it worked as the Saints crushed the Lions and Stafford completed less than half his passes and threw three interceptions. Those are the types of moves you just don’t see out of this Lions team.

http://www.freep.com/article/20131211/SPORTS01/312110052/detroit-lions-gab

Another reason for Lions fans to be excited going into 2014 is that Joe Lombardi (Vince Lombardi's grandson), was the QB coach under Sean Payton, and will be our offensive coordinator. Joe Lombardi has already stated we will run our offense similar to the Saints offense.

You can just hear the way Joe Lombardi talks he's going to be a future head coach somewhere.

Pretty much. He doesn't look the part, but does things he has no business doing.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I've been watching a lot of the Pettine interviews on ClevelandBrowns.com and really like the guy. Also like that the Browns are taking steps to make him a face of Franchise, with all the Pettine Billboards I've been seeing around.

Also Coaching staff Wants to put bulk onto Mingo, seems like a priority for them

I want that happiness I had watching Derek Anderson slangin' it to Winslow Jr. and Braylon.

rando14

I want the happiness I had when Quinn played the Lions and Stafford in that amazing game when Staff hurt his shoulder.

ibxQZ2fkYf6rYd.gif

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I want the happiness I had when Quinn played the Lions and Stafford in that amazing game when Staff hurt his shoulder.
Edit: time for me to re-evaluate my life

Hey you leave my Quarterback the fuck alone. I never want to hear anyone here mention previous Stafford injuries or even insinuate that he may get hurt again in the future.

Wasn't rooting for injuries, just saying he got hurt in that game. Just brought it up because people remember him getting hurt but still finishing the game and winning.

ShaneB

When I first saw Farmer, I thought he was a lineman or something. Watched Jack Reacher earlier today, that was good times. Also just finished watching the 30 for 30 on the SMU death penalty and all that. Fascinating stuff.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Wasn't rooting for injuries, just saying he got hurt in that game. Just brought it up because people remember him getting hurt but still finishing the game and winning.

The heart of a Lion.

Lets relive that great Detroit Lions v. Cleveland Browns game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugA8G4rv_8g

This was the first of Staffords 11 or so comeback wins in the last 1:30 of a game. I knew the guy had amazing talent before this game, but this game proved to me he was going to be our QB for the next decade.

bionic77

true detective titties tonight aint TOO shabby but its no daddario. what i dont understand is howcome the guy and girl both cum at the same time in movies/shows?
Because they can't devote too much time to sex. Gotta keep moving that story along. So you gotta fast forward through the sex, reward us with some titties, weird faces and grunting/moaning culminating in the double orgasm because we don't want to watch normal shit on tv. It has to be dramatized.

Syrinx

I feel like he does that all the time lol

There's always ribbing going on in here, and based on the quote I don't think it was malicious, but I'm pretty sure that saying something like that crosses a line. Hopefully it's a "c'mon son'" ban rather than something more serious.

Edit: That long, huh? Damn he won't even be around for the start of baseball season.

rando14

Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez
Source tells @FOXSports1 @Seahawks expected 2 release DE Red Bryant & hope 2 use cap space toward new contract 4 pending UFA Michael Bennett

Again, expected but still... Red ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom