• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Clowney vs. Manziel

giphy.gif

Insane that a man that big and that strong can move that fast.

I feel that having the longer legs can help him move at greater differences, if the 2 men have similar "leg speeds"

JFF's pretty fast in the 40, but where he separates from other mobile QB's is agility, shiftiness, and improvisation off of those. Decent Zip and Accuracy, but accuracy might come from being able to run around for 6-10 seconds (longer than most QB's have to throw), long enough for any secondary to lose coverage downfield, which gives him wide open targets to hit.

So Clowney beat Freeney's 40 time even though he is 4 inches taller. Damn if he does show up motivated in the NFL any team that passes on him is going to regret it.

A QB's ability to move well in the pocket and avoid sacks is more important to me than raw speed (aka 40 time). Tannehill ran a 4.58 but he is often stiff in the pocket and isn't great with his footwork. On the other hand Manziel is a little "slower" but is great at avoiding pressure and improvising in the pocket. That's a trade-off well worth taking any day of the week, for my money.

Oh I fucking remember!
Haha. Hopefully this is a breakout season for him but I still can't understand why the Dolphins took him over an o-linemen. Jordan is the third best DE on the team right now. Meanwhile the o-line is in shambles.

9:39 AM
Rich Cimini
Jadeveon Clowney clocks 4.47 and 4.48, unofficially. The 4.47 was faster than 56 RBs and WRs yesterday. #NFLCombine
Imagine him running full speed at you
Edit: Florio is about to go on espn 850

Dion Jordan was never even remotely near Clowney's production at Oregon.

Let's pull up some Talon qutoes from last year:
"Something something guy never popped off the screen to me, and I unfortunately watch a lot of Oregon games" x10
Exactly. Just kind of shows you some contrast between the number one DE of last year's draft versus this year's. Also a little #DolphinsLogic.

A QB's ability to move well in the pocket and avoid sacks is more important to me than raw speed (aka 40 time). Tannehill ran a 4.58 but he is often stiff in the pocket and isn't great with his footwork. On the other hand Manziel is a little "slower" but is great at avoiding pressure and improvising in the pocket. That's a trade-off well worth taking any day of the week, for my money.

Haha. Hopefully this is a breakout season for him but I still can't understand why the Dolphins took him over an o-linemen. Jordan is the third best DE on the team right now. Meanwhile the o-line is in shambles.

Yeah looking back it seems like a crazy move for them to move up in the draft for a DE, when the D was already solid and the OL was a disaster even before all the Martin stuff came out. Hopefully there is truth to the rumors about you guys trading him to us, and then you guys get a good piece for the OL at 22. The league needs you guys to get it together and knock off the Pats dammit.

LJ11

Your RT is just as important as your LT with all these pass rushers.

You can't have scrubs like Erik Pears manning the RT position. If an analyst knocks a LT prospect as being more of a RT then he's a fucking idiot (bit extreme). Von Miller, Wake, Watt on occassion, all line up on your RT. Have fun blocking them with a guy who isn't good enough to play LT but good at RT position.

I just think you're being a little unfair to the Dolphins brass on this.
They traded up to get a guy they didn't need when the team had obvious needs in other areas. If the draft isn't that loaded why not keep no. 12 and no. 42 overall? And if you are going to make the trade why not draft a guy who can actually fill a huge hole in your roster? The move didn't make sense back then and it makes even less sense in retrospect.

They traded up to get a guy they didn't need when the team had obvious needs in other areas. If the draft isn't that loaded why not keep no. 12 and no. 42 overall? And if you are going to make the trade why not draft a guy who can actually fill some huge holes in your roster? The move didn't make sense back then and it makes even less sense in retrospect.

When the Fins traded up all the analysts said it was to take someone on the OL. Nobody thought they were trading up to get a DE.

Striker

Last year's pool had several OT's go in the 1st. For NY, they picked Pugh who was supposedly a reach but I have liked what I've seen from him so far. Build on that and grab another this year.

Tom Penny

People still getting enamored over 40 times? When do you rush the passer and run 40 yards untouched? Guess Clowney is so good he didn't even olbliterate his competion this year in college.

They traded up to get a guy they didn't need when the team had obvious needs in other areas. If the draft isn't that loaded why not keep no. 12 and no. 42 overall? And if you are going to make the trade why not draft a guy who can actually fill a huge hole in your roster? The move didn't make sense back then and it makes even less sense in retrospect.

I would just like to add fuck Ireland

Also I just bought the xperia tablet z and they just announced the new one, I hate when that happens

Trading the picks was stupid I agree. I think you're evaluating the decision in hindsight a little bit though. Dolphins thought they had something with Martin, and they already had Pouncey, do you think they ever planned to take a RT prospect high?

Last year's pool had several OT's go in the 1st. For NY, they picked Pugh who was supposedly a reach but I have liked what I've seen from him so far. Build on that and grab another this year.
Considering the depth at offensive line this year though, the team doesn't NEED to be locked into tackle at 12. They could move back into the latter half of the first round and select David Yankey who's been compared to DeCastro as a prospect. Or wait until the second where there will still be plenty of offensive line talent to choose from.

OL, WR, TE, LB, DE are all acceptable to me at 12 if there's a top talent there. If Mike Evans is there at 12? Eric Ebron over the third or fourth tackle?

Trading the picks was stupid I agree. I think you're evaluating the decision in hindsight a little bit though. Dolphins thought they had something with Martin, and they already had Pouncey, do you think they ever planned to take a RT prospect high?

We took thomas in the 3rd, I believe he's a tackle, didn't play at all from what I remember, but you do have a point even though we wanted to trade for Albert and the coaches knew the oline was our weakness they failed yo address it in the draft or FA

Well like I said at the time it didn't seem to make sense and it makes sense even less now. So yeah, I'm being harder on it in hindsight, but even back then it was kind of obvious Jordan would fit better in a 3-4 system as an OLB. It just seemed like a weird pick and it's obvious now that it was more Ireland than Philbin.

Jordan could still end up being a stud, it's obviously far too early to tell. I just wish the FO would have addressed the OL in some way that actually helped. Even without Martin/Incognito you have Thomas and Clabo which both ended up as massive failures.

Eagles talked to JFF this weekend. What about Foles? :jnc

I guess coaches talk to everybody.

You only get 60 interviews total, weird they would burn one on a guy they have no interest in. Maybe they think he will fall back to like 10 and then they could trade up for him. I would love to see JFF in Chip's system. I think he could be a much better QB then Foles.

Striker

Considering the depth at offensive line this year though, the team doesn't NEED to be locked into a top tackle at 12. They could move back into the latter half of the first round and select David Yankey who's been compared to DeCastro as a prospect. Or wait until the second where there will still be plenty of offensive line talent.

OL, WR, TE, LB, DE are all acceptable to me at 12 if there's a top talent there. If Mike Evans is there at 12? Eric Ebron over the third or fourth tackle?
If they feel the OT has the talent to move inside or perhaps felt was good enough to man the outside while Pugh slides inside, so be it. I'm thinking they'll sign at least two vets on the OL, and then look at the draft as BPA so they can look at DE, CB, TE, and WR early. And if Linval Joseph happens to leave, might look at DT.

They need some size at the skill positions. The JPP of TE's hasn't done shit and that would make Randle the largest threat (6'2"). Getting Ebron or Evans would be exciting.

tinantlu

You only get 60 interviews total, weird they would burn one on a guy they have no interest in. Maybe they think he will fall back to like 10 and then they could trade up for him. I would love to see JFF in Chip's system. I think he could be a much better QB then Foles.

Also don't forget that Juan Pigskin was at Oregon with Chip for a bit, until he decided to go back to Texas to be closer to home, probably just catching up on old loans ect. that he still owes

cashman

Banned
Also don't forget that Juan Pigskin was at Oregon with Chip for a bit, until he decided to go back to Texas to be closer to home, probably just catching up on old loans ect. that he still owes

He was never at Oregon, he just committed and switched when he realized he was never going to beat out Mariota.

Daryl Ruiter said:
Michael Lombardi caught on cam next to Bill Belichick sifting through draft evaluation book with #Browns logo on it

It was all part of the plan. Now we have inside information on the Browns and Bucs.

If that doesn't spell succes, I don't know what does.

MechDX

Dat Clowney 40 time!

Clowney Mania!!

Andrés Cabrales ‏@ACabrales_7 · 57m
All I'm saying is the the last time the #Texans took a top QB over a top DE 1st overall, they passed up on Julius Peppers for David Carr..

IT BEGINS AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom