• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAT

Man I loved Ramis. I really think Groundhog Day is an all time great film. Right there with Die Hard as a film people don't put in the proper historical context b/c it is in the wrong genre

Growing up it's easy to just think that he is the guy that played Egon. It's crazy that he wrote and directed Groundhog Day, wrote and directed Caddyshack, wrote Animal House and Ghostbusters, and directed National Lampoon's Vacation.

It's an absurd resume.

meh, would still take Manziel first overall if I'm the Texans.

It's just one of those " if we whiff, we whiff" scenarios. People miss on firsts all the time so why not go after the guy who is going to fill your stadium up and increase your revenue? The kids the first freshmen heisman winner, has a nice skillset and is from Texas.

its kind of one of those things that you just have to pull the trigger on imo

Bread

Banned

It's just one of those " if we whiff, we whiff" scenarios. People miss on firsts all the time so why not go after the guy who is going to fill your stadium up and increase your revenue? The kids the first freshmen heisman winner, has a nice skillset and is from Texas.

jaguars-fan-cant-believe-it-nfl-fan-gifs.gif

I would hope that the GM of my team didnt give a second thought to things like, fill the stadium, and increase revenue. Winning games will do all those things anyways.

MechDX

Texans are already the 6th highest revenue generating team in the league after just 11 years of existence. Manziel would love this thinking as I stated the other day. His merchandise sales in Texas would be through the roof!

On the other hand I can see Jerruh making a move like this for those reasons and thinking he one up'ed everyone.

squicken

Growing up it's easy to just think that he is the guy that played Egon. It's crazy that he wrote and directed Groundhog Day, wrote and directed Caddyshack, wrote Animal House and Ghostbusters, and directed National Lampoon's Vacation.

It's an absurd resume.

He's like John Hughes where the size of his body of work was never really appreciated until he died. Though Hughes had a pretty dreadful run of films the last 15 years he was working

That's the stupidest reason to draft/sign anyone. The only players you should bring into the team are the ones that give you the biggest chance to win, that's it. Everything else will fall into place when you start winning.

MechDX

Retweeted by Stephanie Stradley

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro · 9m
"He jumped on me my 2nd day here. He just jumped on me, like 'let me holla at you.'" -- Clowney to NFL Network about #Texans DL coach Kollar

Kollar is the Texans D line coach and the only coach retained by O'Brien. Considered a very fiery individual and Watt's position coach

squicken

That's the stupidest reason to draft/sign anyone. The only players you should bring into the team are the ones that give you the biggest chance to win, that's it. Everything else will fall into place when you start winning.

They scored the 2nd lowest points in the league. I just think it's iffy to have both Watt and Clowney on the team and a giant hole a QB. but maybe BoB is the QB whisperer

Tom Penny

I would hope that the GM of my team didnt give a second thought to things like, fill the stadium, and increase revenue. Winning games will do all those things anyways.

So Gata's Jags were smart by not signing Tebow and sucking anyway selling no merchandise and tickets? Methinks not. A) He's good for business. B) He might even be good.

The Dolphins are in a tough spot at defensive tackle. Both Soliai and Randy Starks are unrestricted free agents. A franchise tag for either would be pricy, but particularly for Starks, who was tagged in 2013.

Should they lose both, the Dolphins would be left with Jared Odrick, Isaako Aaitui and A.J. Francis at the position. Odrick is an established starter; Aaitui and Francis have appeared in a combined four games.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/24/3956964/miami-dolphins-in-jeopardy-of.html#storylink=cpy

We absolutely need to sign Grimes (2-3 years) and Solia, I'm ok with letting Starks walk but those two (plus wake) are must haves on our defense. We need to rid our-self's of Carroll and we are stuck with Reshad Jones at safety so the other pressing need is a Corner outside of Grimes and of course the Oline which we must fill with talent from the draft and maybe a tackle/guard in FA.

Green Bay's Sam Shields is a player coach Joe Philbin should be familiar with. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is a fine cornerback and may be difficult for the cap challenged Broncos to re-sign. Walter Thurmond is a solid No. 3 if the Dolphins aren't able to re-sign Nolan Carroll.

And perhaps the best player of the class -- all things considered -- might be Alterraun Verner. He's very young at 25. He's a fine player. He makes plays. And because the Titans already paid a mint for their other cornerback, Jason McCourty, they might not be able to pay Verner, too.

I would be ok with Verner or Shields, honestly anyone of those those is a better upgrade to Carroll :/

Colasante

Dammit, Aaron Donald is testing way too well. There's increasingly little chance that he falls to the Patriots. He probably won't get past the Cowboys and Bears.

i hate the 5" phone trend, I'm probably going to get the compact 1

Well I'm talking about the Tablet but I have the S4 and I love the 5" screen, I can't see myself getting something smaller. The phone is thin enough to fit in my pockets and I can hold it and use it with one hand just fine. I might switch to the Z2 phone if it comes to sprint, I hate the cheap feel of the S4 plus samsungs shitty touchwiz.

Draxal

Aaron Donald seems to be the Sammy Watkins of the day, though just like Sammy, he is just verifying what everyone had already said he would do

Aaron Donald just produces, he's got my respect.

As an aside, here's a little dumb game we could play. Rate the college's by the best three players they currently have in the NFL.

Pitt would actually do really damn good here a couple of years ago with Fitz, Revis and McCoy.

We absolutely need to sign Grimes (2-3 years) and Solia, I'm ok with letting Starks walk but those two (plus wake) are must haves on our defense. We need to rid our-self's of Carroll and we are stuck with Reshad Jones at safety so the other pressing need is a Corner outside of Grimes and of course the Oline which we must fill with talent from the draft and maybe a tackle/guard in FA.
Any hope Davis or Taylor will be able to start across from Grimes this season? I'm with you on Soliai, dude is a stud and the run defense disappears when he is out of the game.

I still love Reshad Jones. He's a quality player.

Just read the Ramis news. Fucking bummer.:(

Groundhog Day is brilliant. I'm a huge Murray fan so it sits high on my list. Right below "What About Bob?" as my favorite comedy.

"Doooh....Ray.....EGON!"

:(

cdyhybrid

Ryan Shazier...10'10" broad jump, 42" vert

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 54s

Even more impressive given #Buckeye star packed on some 20 lbs this winter RT @markpantoni: Ryan Shazier with 42" vertical!!

squicken

Aaron Donald just produces, he's got my respect.

As an aside, here's a little dumb game we could play. Rate the college's by the best three players they currently have in the NFL.

Pitt would actually do really damn good here a couple of years ago with Fitz, Revis and McCoy.

Wilson, Watt and Joe Thomas for Wisconsin is hard to beat currently

Let's see, I guess Virginia Tech would be Kam Chancellor, Brandon Flowers, and Eddie Royal. Respectable but not spectacular.

Of course, this is only the case because Tyrod is still sitting behind Flacco for some reason.

Wilson, Watt and Joe Thomas for Wisconsin is hard to beat currently
Umm... game over.

Syrinx

Gotta say, I don't think I'd be against the Bucs taking Jernigan and putting him next to McCoy on the interior line. We need an end, but they can get a guy like Crichton or Murphy or Jeffcoat with their second rounder.

Any hope Davis or Taylor will be able to start across from Grimes this season? I'm with you on Soliai, dude is a stud and the run defense disappears when he is out of the game.

I still love Reshad Jones. He's a quality player.

Reshad regressed after getting the big contract but I think it might have just been an off year, I would love it if he produced like in 2012 again. I would expect Taylor to battle for a spot and hopefully become our solid 3rd corner (or 2nd if we fail at getting anyone else/keeping Carroll for whatever reason). He played in 9 games but mostly on special teams so there just isn't much to go on for a 2nd round pick though he needs to come out and produce big after a full year to recover from his injuries. Davis I'm less hopeful of because he has limited football experience and already missed most of the year with an injury so he's still a work in progress. I think if we manage to fill the Oline gap with FA and some early draft picks, we can take a corner in the later rounds that could challenge Davis. I'm very curious to see how Hickey is going to draft and what he's going to do in FA, who we can get will all depend on how they shore up that oline.

xnipx

I agree, but I get why its such a tough issue for some folks.

To me, the guy has paid his debt to society and has been nothing but remorseful for his actions after he left the pen.

But at the same time, I've never owned a dog and have no great affinity for them. I can understand why a dog owner could never forgive Michael Vick, knowing what he did to those animals.

My point is these people have all these emotions because Vick got caught but don't do anything to stop the dog fighting culture which is what caused him to behave that way. I guarantee half the players on any given team have caught put bills in their life before and possibly killed some too.

Until the culture dies in our(the black) community getting mad at the guy who got caught is dumb IMO.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Damn right.

I always get upset when I see people say that. You know what would bring even more people to the stadiums and generate even more money?

Having a consistently great team. Not one who tries to pick up the flavour of the month for a 2 game boost in revenue.

Colasante

Why did Reggie McKenzie just sign Taiwan Jones to a three year extension? He's not off to a good start with his $70 million in cap space.

Draxal

Let's see, I guess Virginia Tech would be Kam Chancellor, Brandon Flowers, and Eddie Royal. Respectable but not spectacular.

Of course, this is only the case because Tyrod is still sitting behind Flacco for some reason.

Umm... game over.

Rutgers would be um ... Anthony Davis, Ray Rice ... , and um ..... Kenny Britt ......

Oh boy.

MRSA

Banned
Why did Reggie McKenzie just sign Taiwan Jones to a three year extension? He's not off to a good start with his $70 million in cap space.

There's a rule in the NFL. If you can play ST, you can secure a roster spot. He's really good as a gunner on punt, really the only time he can make use of his 4.3 speed.

Ugh I promised myself I wouldn't get excited for this season after the mess Ross made....

"@flasportsbuzz: Brent grimes just said he is optimistic he will stay with dolphins but cannot be certain yet. Conversations continue"

"@flasportsbuzz: Tannehill just spoke about how excited he is about learning bill lazor's offense and that it's different from sherman's"

Tannehill said offense will look different under Bill Lazor. He runs numbers system while Sherman ran more West Coast.

I failed.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom