• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he can go top of 2nd, wouldn't be totally surprised if he snuck into the 1st. What was hype for Flacco like? He came from a smaller school too.

I think his tiny hands and the level of competition he faced along with all the other mid tier QBs and general depth of the draft this year will cause him to fall to the 4th. Maybe the 3rd, but I'd be surprised. Not saying he's a bad prospect, (he's on my list for Oakland and I've always had him ahead of Fales) just don't see him going that high, and not sure what team would take him? I could be totally wrong tho.

Edit: Oh check that about his hands, guessed they measured 9 1/4, I guess that does help his draft stock. Still not sure he goes before the 3rd.

Draxal

I tried to do a Temple list but it was to depressing. I guess the Rutgers list is all Pats.

Temple is Wilkerson, Wilkerson and Wilkerson.

Rutgers is Anthony Davis, Devin McCourty and Ray Rice (still better than the rest) as Tim Wright and Logan Ryan are too unproven.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
DT Aaron Donald posted a 4.68 40, hit 35 reps on the bench.

pretty impressive 40 time for a defensive tackle. i have a feeling the bears are going to target him.

Yeah just saw him run right now. Mayock was pointing out correctly how some safetys won't run that fast. Unbelievable for a 285 lb guy.

Would hate for him to go to the Bears.

DT Aaron Donald posted a 4.68 40, hit 35 reps on the bench.

pretty impressive 40 time for a defensive tackle. i have a feeling the bears are going to target him.

I think these are the three likeliest players the Bears will target:

If we can't trade down I would seriously consider taking him at no. 5. Not sure what Reggie is gonna do tho, Raiders haven't even interviewed him yet, to my knowledge.

Vio-Lence

Banned
The Bears defense was so bad they could conceivably target any position on the defense and get significant upgrades, but I think you always build your teams inside and out. Need to improve that DL.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Peter King has the Lions picking Taylor Lewan (OT, Michigan) as the Lions pick at #10 :jnc

Mike Evans 2013-2014 Highlights

The way he fights for the ball, the way he breaks tackles, that route running, that speed, those hands - all against SEC talent. And with a 6'5 230 lb body.

james-brown-crying-o.gif

Come home Mike Evans, come home.

squicken

I think he can go top of 2nd, wouldn't be totally surprised if he snuck into the 1st. What was hype for Flacco like? He came from a smaller school too.

Flacco had a cannon. Garoppolo has a noodle. Quick release but his big problem is he has happy feet. Runs from the pocket when there's no pressure. Yes I know Manziel and even Russ and Kap do this, but Jimmy does it in a panicked state. The others do it to go make a play. Garroppolo is kind of Gabberty.

In my opinion, that's not fixable. QBs don't get less scared going from college to the pros, especially FCS to the NFL

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
i hope the lions take luwan

guy is bitch made

Thankfully we solidified our offensive line last year with a 3rd round pick (Larry Warford) and a rookie UDFA (LaAdrian Waddle), so there is zero chance we go OL in the first round, which makes it even more hilarious as to why Peter King would have Taylor as our first pick. Plus we drafted LT Riley Reiff from Iowa as our first round pick three seasons back or so.

Its going to be a WR, with a slight chance of secondary. Mike Evans or bust. I think I would prefer him over Sammy Watkins at this point. Can't go wrong either way, but having two 6'5 receivers like Megatron and Mike Evans with Stafford throwing them the ball is pretty much unstoppable. Mike Evans looks like a surefire bet at this point.

Especially with Joe Lombardi going on record as saying our offense will be run like New Orleans, I think Martin Mayhew will pick either Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins if they are there. A defensive back can't catch touchdown passes.

Flacco had a cannon. Garoppolo has a noodle. Quick release but his big problem is he has happy feet. Runs from the pocket when there's no pressure. Yes I know Manziel and even Russ and Kap do this, but Jimmy does it in a panicked state. The others do it to go make a play. Garroppolo is kind of Gabberty.

In my opinion, that's not fixable. QBs don't get less scared going from college to the pros, especially FCS to the NFL

Hmm, haven't noticed that about him, and he was very calm and poised in the pocket during the senior bowl and drills. His arm is almost up there with Carr's imo, he can drive it down the field and puts a lot of zip on his short stuff. The only real questions about him were his hand size and the level of competition he faced, is what I've heard.

Draxal

If Greg Robinson stays clean on medicals and character, I'll buy Giants GAF PS4s if he's there at 8

It's only possible if there is a run on qbs (Bortles/Manziel/Bridgewater). and Clowney/Matthews/Watkins/Mack gone as well. Not likely, but we've had weirder situations.

squicken

It's only possible if there is a run on qbs (Bortles/Manziel/Bridgewater). and Clowney/Matthews/Watkins/Mack gone as well. Not likely, but we've had weirder situations.

I don't intend to be condescending. I only say that b/c if he falls to 8 I'll never have to pay b/c I will be in legit prison after burning down the Rams facility

Thankfully we solidified our offensive line last year with a 3rd round pick (Larry Warford) and a rookie UDFA (LaAdrian Waddle), so there is zero chance we go OL in the first round, which makes it even more hilarious as to why Peter King would have Taylor as our first pick. Plus we drafted LT Riley Reiff from Iowa as our first round pick three seasons back or so.

Its going to be a WR, with a slight chance of secondary. Mike Evans or bust. I think I would prefer him over Sammy Watkins at this point. Can't go wrong either way, but having two 6'5 receivers like Megatron and Mike Evans with Stafford throwing them the ball is pretty much unstoppable. Mike Evans looks like a surefire bet at this point.

Especially with Joe Lombardi going on record as saying our offense will be run like New Orleans, I think Martin Mayhew will pick either Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins if they are there. A defensive back can't catch touchdown passes.

He can if Stafford is throwing the ball.

Draxal

I don't intend to be condescending. I only say that b/c if he falls to 8 I'll never have to pay b/c I will be in legit prison after burning down the Rams facility

It's all good, I'm seeing Matthews mocked to St Louis and Matthews does make sense ... as he is incredibly safe with good upside.

You could also have traded out for a team that's desperate for a qb.

This draft is so much more interesting than last years. The need for qbs plus the elite talent in the non qb slots makes this draft intriguing.

squicken

Hmm, haven't noticed that about him, and he was very calm and poised in the pocket during the senior bowl and drills. His arm is almost up there with Carr's imo, he can drive it down the field and puts a lot of zip on his short stuff. The only real questions about him were his hand size and the level of competition he faced, is what I've heard.

No hitting of the QB allowed in the SB or in the drills. No blitzing either and all man to man coverage. I think Carr has the best arm of all the top 5-6 or so prospects.

@draxal: ATL will draft one of Matthews, Robinson or Clowney. Even if he falls past them TB will draft him. They need to rebuild their OL too

But that's what's fun about it all. No one knows for sure. I think there's going to be about 10-13 guys who will go off the board first, but no one will know the order. After that it will all be eye of the beholder

No hitting of the QB allowed in the SB or in the drills. No blitzing either and all man to man coverage. I think Carr has the best arm of all the top 5-6 or so prospects.

@draxal: ATL will draft one of Matthews, Robinson or Clowney. Even if he falls past them TB will draft him. They need to rebuild their OL too

But that's what's fun about it all. No one knows for sure. I think there's going to be about 10-13 guys who will go off the board first, but no one will know the order. After that it will all be eye of the beholder

Yeah should be interesting.

edit: oops double post.

Draxal

Mack is very much a possiblity for ATL as well, and TB wouldn't be dumb to go after Watkins, remember they missed Carl Nicks last year and they're most likely getting him back.

squicken

What a Strong 40-Yard Dash Means for Elite Wide Receivers

This isn't to say that a 40-yard dash time is all you need to measure with a wide receiver - plenty of other factors weigh in to whether or not a pass-catcher will be successful. However, any time we can get a data point that increases our probability in finding a gem, why would we ignore it?

That's why 40-yard dash haters typically pick and choose examples as to why the drill is worthless. Yes, Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin are insanely effective wide receivers at the pro level, and both ran pretty mediocre 40-yard dashes. But for every Anquan Boldin, there are plenty of examples as to why 40 times matter. Hopefully this shows you why.

Again, the goal here isn't to prove that 40 times mean everything when it comes to a wide receiver's achievements in the NFL. But ignoring it - as an analyst or even a fantasy football owner - probably isn't the smartest idea. Speed is important, and if you want high-end efficiency, you're going to need it.

Striker

Like DHB getting picked early and Hakeem Nicks dropping (also had supposed weight issues I thought). Nicks was running low times I recall.

squicken

Niners not inclined to 'beg' Jim Harbaugh to stay

The 49ers have seen Harbaugh publicly tied to a few other jobs. (NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that USC, in addition to the University Texas, showed interest in Harbaugh.) The 49ers don't plan to panic after seeing the reports.

"We didn't do that when we hired him in the first place, either. Why would we run scared?" one top 49ers official told Silver. (That's in reference to San Francisco's refusal to raise Harbaugh's offer after the Miami Dolphins made a run to hire him.)

Success often brings disagreements over who should get the credit. At its core, this conflict seems to be about how valuable Harbaugh truly is. The 49ers believe, according to Silver, that Harbaugh isn't the only coach that could win with this roster.

"Simply put, the Niners' brass believes that general manager Trent Baalke has assembled a talented team and is likely to continue making smart roster decisions -- and that Harbaugh is hardly the only person who could coach this team to a championship," Silver writes.

squicken

Sando has an article up on Insider. If SF fans care, let me know and I'll post it. Mostly about what all this means for SF's championship window. One tidbit that is interesting

I believe the 49ers' leadership was obsessed with beating the Seahawks before that game, and that Seattle's subsequent victory over Denver in the Super Bowl has turned up the pressure in the short term. "We need to win a damn Super Bowl," is how one team official put it to me. Falling just short of that goal for three consecutive seasons has taken a toll. Having it happen a fourth consecutive time might be too much for the current leadership to bear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom