• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCizzle

It's crazy that Baalke allegedly has such pull after drafting AJ Jenkins and a key role in drafting Balmer (if I remember correctly). I can't believe this insanity until they actually let him go!

squicken

It's crazy that Baalke allegedly has such pull after drafting AJ Jenkins and a key role in drafting Balmer (if I remember correctly). I can't believe this insanity until they actually let him go!

The thought is that Baalke has done a good job and is a 49er "lifer" while Harbaugh is so high maintenance, even if they move past this, he'll never last long in SF

JCizzle

The thought is that Baalke has done a good job and is a 49er "lifer" while Harbaugh is so high maintenance, even if they move past this, he'll never last long in SF

Pats should have kept Pioli and let BB go! Oops.

McLoughlin was able to acquire a big bunch of the talent that Baalke inherited in the first place. Ugh.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
So dumb for the Niners to let Harbaugh walk. With the amount of tension between Harbaugh and the organization it`ll be interesting to see if he even coaches this season.

I also can`t wait to see where he winds up.

squicken

How Seattle won the Super Bowl could be illustrative for the 49ers. The Seahawks were the opposite of uptight. They played simple schemes very well instead of trying to do too much. The 49ers are a lot more complicated in their scheming. That has been one of their strengths, particularly in the running game

But in this era of diminished practice time, a simpler approach also has its advantages. That will be additionally true for the 49ers as they move forward with young players acquired through the draft. That thought crystallized in my mind while I listened to Baalke answering a reporter's question about tight end Vance McDonald, a 2013 second-round pick who struggled some as a rookie.

"If you watched us play, you understand how complicated that position is, and how many different hats Vance had to wear this year as a rookie," Baalke explained. "It's a very difficult thing. When you have as much volume as we have and he's put in as many positions that he's put in, it’s such a learning curve. It takes away from your physicality, your physical traits because you're thinking your way through the game. So, I think there’s going to be a big jump with Vance next year and what he's able to bring to this football team."

Baalke wasn't necessarily saying the 49ers needed to simplify things to make better use of their draft choices, but it might not be a bad idea

There was a quote in the 2013 offseason from Baalke about how their starters on defense played too many snaps. Baalke of course thinks he is giving the staff the right players, but lots of teams are perhaps too complicated for this day and age of even more simplistic college offenses

There was a quote in the 2013 offseason from Baalke about how their starters on defense played too many snaps. Baalke of course thinks he is giving the staff the right players, but lots of teams are perhaps too complicated for this day and age of even more simplistic college offenses

I've always felt that you have to use your scheme based on what your players are good at (one of the reasons I couldn't stand Philbin/Sherman last year) and not try to over complicate things, if you have good players and know how to use them you can be successful, you don't need to out think your opponent so much as you need to out play them.

JCizzle

Maybe he should take that into account and target intelligent players then, particularly with 2nd round picks. Sounds like he's trying to force himself onto Harbs and not work with him to identify the players that work best for his schemes. Not like targeting smart players impacted Harbs ability to win at Stanford...

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
jn1rbj0.jpg

Bring him back to the 49ers

Now this is an idea I can support.

It's happening!

The National Football Post's Jason Cole expects the Dolphins to pursue Jim Harbaugh next offseason, "barring a Super Bowl win by the 49ers."
That should help Joe Philbin sleep at night. According to Cole, the "rumor was already out there," and "only got stronger this weekend." Cole's report runs concurrent to one from CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco, who passed along Monday that the "feeling within the organization is that Harbaugh is not going to be a 10-year coach with the 49ers." San Francisco has re-emerged as one of the league's elite franchises, but it's got a serious issue on its hands.

WedgeX

Banned
Harbs will probably just waltz over to the University of Michigan next year, handshake Brady Hoke to the curb, and have his run of the place for the next two decades.

So if they do lose Harbaugh, what kind of pressure would a new coach be under over there? Since apparently 2 NFC Championship games and an SB appearance isn't worth going out of their way to keep you.

Word on the street (twitter) is Miami is in talks with Carrolls agent about resigned him but he's going to test FA first, so please any team out there, sign Carroll....take him away from my team :(

Farooq

Banned
It is funny, before the Senior Bowl I was hoping Aaron Donald would be a second round steal. After the combine, I am hoping he will be there at 16.

rando14

Holy shit cuban sandwiches are incredible. Which one of you was praising cuban sandwiches, please stand up and make yourself known so that I may praise you with compliments and love!!

Holy shit cuban sandwiches are incredible. Which one of you was praising cuban sandwiches, please stand up and make yourself known so that I may praise you with compliments and love!!

Real one? Or some half assed facsimile?

Fair warning: I'm Cuban.:)

If real, yes. My mother makes an incredible Cuban sandwich. She usually does a glorious caramel flan to finish the meal off.

Giants Gaf:

Would you be willing to trade up to 8 if Greg Robinson fell to there? Don't see him getting past the Bills.

Doubt he makes it past the Rams but for me I'd actually like to trade down and grab a guard. Yankey specifically. If we stay at 12, I want Ebron. Mike Evans works there as well if he makes it that far.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Avatar bet lions don't take Evens at 10?

What are the conditions? If Evans and Watkins are there at #10 I could see some debate. If Evans somehow gets drafted first and Watkins falls to us at #10 then we'll draft Watkins.

If Evans and Watkins are both gone then I could see us looking at Ebrons or secondary.

But if Evans is there at #10 and Watkins is gone? No doubt in my mind we take him unless some previous injury or off-field incidents take place.

So yeah, I'm down for an avatar bet always, brother, but if Evans is available at #10, and Watkins is gone, we are taking Evans. Remember we drafted Darius Slay (DB, Ole Miss) as a second rounder last year. and he had a pretty decent rookie year.

squicken

I'm not sure Evans will be there at 10 for the Lions to even pass on

harbs maybe leaving but at least craig dahl will be staying after he agrees to take a paycut! suck our D's rams another couple ass beatings coming up this year thanks to my main man craig dahl!

He had a better year than Courtland Finnegan, who I'm still not sure the Rams are smart enough to cut. Fisher is absurdly loyal to "his" players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom