• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechDX

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/24/stephen-jones-raves-about-johnny-manziel/#comments

“I think he’s going to be a star in this league,” Cowboys executive V.P. Stephen Jones told SiriusXM NFL Radio regarding Manziel, via NFL.com. “I think he’s going to be very successful. I think he’s a great competitor, and I think he’s going to have an unbelievable career.”

Jones compared the youngster to Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, who is recovering from back surgery and who’ll blow out 34 candles on April 21.

“He seems to have eyes in each corner of his head, in terms of being able to see the field,” Jones said of Manziel. “A little bit like our guy, he can scramble. A lot of people think he’s scrambling to run all the time, but he does do a lot of scrambling to throw it. I think that’s unique. This guy will get out of trouble, and his eyes are always down field.”

Are the Cowboys really this in love with Manziel?

I wonder how much the Cowboys would have to give up to move up from 16 to 1.

It's absolutely not happening. Jerry Jones is a crazy dummy, but we'd have to give up basically all our picks when our cap situation means the only way we're filling holes is through the draft.

I think it's D-Line or S, whoever they have the highest grade on. Probably a real heavy defensive draft, but I wouldn't be surprised if they used a 2 or 3rd on a skill position. Maybe a RB.

840703861.gif

Syrinx

It's absolutely not happening. Jerry Jones is a crazy dummy, but we'd have to give up basically all our picks when our cap situation means the only way we're filling holes is through the draft.

I think it's D-Line or S, whoever they have the highest grade on. Probably a real heavy defensive draft, but I wouldn't be surprised if they used a 2 or 3rd on a skill position. Maybe a RB.

Don't get me wrong; I don't think they'll actually do it. I'm just pondering just how much it would take for that deal to happen.

MechDX

We are talking about Jerruh Jones here! We are through the looking glass.

If any owner is batshit insane enough to do it, its him

Rumblings that Michael Sam's combine numbers have fucked his chances of being drafted.

Does he have a pro day coming up? Could put up some better numbers.

I've never had him higher than a 4th to 6th round pick anyway, but yeah people will blame it on his sexuality if he goes undrafted. Now if no one sign hims as a priority fa and gives him a chance to compete, then that'd be pretty fucked up.

OHqkfUF.gif

Clowney vs Kaepernick and Cam

Not the biggest Pryor fan these days, but I think he could take him.

cdyhybrid

Textbook case of letting perfect be the enemy of good, and also of not remembering when that "talented" roster was NOT coached well.

While this will make our lives easier, I wanted my team to beat the 49ers on the field not see them simply implode. Gotta beat the best to be the best!

The Cards will fill the vacancy their implosion creates.

MechDX

Good write up on Clowney and why the Texans should take him. Im just quoting the part that gave me a stiffy.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/21/5427664/jadeveon-clowney-2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report

Because while this kid may run around a lot of blocks, he makes a hell of a lot of plays doing it.

He doesn't take on pulling guards correctly most of the time, but he damn sure forces a lot of whiffs while making a tackle for loss on counters and power Os. And even though Clowney is still inexplicably raw as a pass rusher after three years in the SEC, he sure does get a lot of friggin' pressure.

The key, in my book at least, is that at outside rushing linebacker in a 3-4, opposing offenses will have to try to block Clowney in space a lot more than they would if he were in a 4-3. The most consistent thing out of all those games is that he looked damn near unblockable in space.
You put him beside J.J. Watt, and SOMEBODY ain't getting double-teamed.

Pick your poison.

If I were Texans defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel, I would be in the GM's office every day pounding the table to draft Clowney. The things he could do with a Clowney/Watt combination on third-and-long would keep me up late at night if I were an offensive coordinator in their division. I know they'll have a strong impulse to draft a quarterback with the first pick because of the problems they had there this past season. I get it.

They have a much better chance finding a quarterback somewhere else who will be good enough to take them to the playoffs than they do finding an outside linebacker in free agency who will be the kind of difference-maker that Clowney can be. For that reason, Jadeveon Clowney would be a no-brainer for me if I ran the Texans.

Im still so concerned about his not giving a shit attitude though. But the thought of him at OLB and Watt next to him at DE on the same side would cause QB's to shit themselves

Textbook case of letting perfect be the enemy of good, and also of not remembering when that "talented" roster was NOT coached well.

While this will make our lives easier, I wanted my team to beat the 49ers on the field not see them simply implode. Gotta beat the best to be the best!

Media created implosion.

But srsly give harbs his raise NOW York or I won't go to anymore of your raves

Cowboys are about making money and they make plenty of it. They would draft him. If they gave a fuck about wins Jerry Jones wouldn't be GM.

It always confuses me when you say something sane like this. There needs to be a rule, if you are a joke poster like lunchbox all of your posts need to be jokes.

True, there is no middle ground with him at all. I just figure that the Cowboys are totally fucked at QB, Romo is already 34 and has had 2 back surgeries. I dont want them finding a replacement. Let someone else get JFF.

Romo still has a few good years left. He doesn't have as much wear on him as his age suggests since he sat for a few years. He could QB a Super Bowl winner if he had the players around him. Jerry Jones did an excellent job of wasting his prime. Hopefully another down season and JG is fired.

squicken

Good write up on Clowney and why the Texans should take him. Im just quoting the part that gave me a stiffy.
s

ATL podcast was relaying the story of being in a elevator with some Texans and Colts coaches. When the Texans coaches got off the elevator, the Colts coaches said "hope those fuckers don't take Clowney"

It looks like Gettleman is engaging in some Hurney-nomics so he can franchise Hardy. Their cap is almost Dallas bad

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Panthers&Year=2014

Farooq

Banned
Dallas might release Ware? Such a waste of a team.

Ware is 31 and will be 32 at the start of next season. Historically a pass rushers production dips well below their peak when they reach 30+. He is set to make 16+ million this year, and the Cowboys are well above the cap. He has also been hit with injuries every year for the past 3 seasons and consequently his production has suffered. If he does not restructure (I am guessing the cowboys will offer something incentive based), the right move would be to let him go. He simply is not worth the 16 million in cap space right now.

With the cap increasing to 130, the Cowboys could restructure Romo, Carr, and a couple of other players (not named Ware) and be under the cap. However, I think the Cowboys will offer Ware a restructured incentive based contract (which will essentially be a paycut), or cut him.

Wrayfield

Yup, makes no sense to me either. They should do all the drills in full pads and helmet.

Even more so for position drills. Running I don't really care, no one runs straight in football unless they're already open or are Dolphins fans on the way to a bar to drown their sorrows.

Hammer24

Banned
Even more so for position drills. Running I don't really care, no one runs straight in football unless they're already open or are Dolphins fans on the way to a bar to drown their sorrows.

I can see the need for some kind of standardization so you can compare results. But absolutely no one runs around on a football field without pads and helmet, not even the Browns, they just look like they did.

squicken

GM For A Day: New York Jets

"The Jets are the Jets are the Jets," a fellow writer once told me. Few teams can so easily turn a beat scribe into Gertrude Stein.

But the Jets do not have to be the Jets forever. They seem different lately. Rex Ryan has curbed some of his worst impulses. General manager John Idzik has curbed many of owner Woody Johnson's worst impulses. The Jets appear to be taking their rebuilding effort seriously. They are now a few easy roster moves away from being young, affordable, semi-talented and well around the corner from the era of the Butt Fumble.

---

Problem: Geno Smith comes with more red flags than a Swiss alpine resort.
Solution: Trust a little. Verify a lot.

There are several things to like about Geno Smith. The Jets don't have that much invested in him, for one thing. He rebounded somewhat in December from one of the ugliest four-game stretches in history last year. December victories against awful teams don't tell you much, but they show that Smith may be more resilient than advertised, and the weaponless supporting cast did not help him much.

Now the bad news: He went through a month where he completed 39.1 percent of his passes, threw eight interceptions without a touchdown and could not hit a tugboat sailing slowly on a crossing route.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/21/5427664/jadeveon-clowney-2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report

Im still so concerned about his not giving a shit attitude though. But the thought of him at OLB and Watt next to him at DE on the same side would cause QB's to shit themselves

Glad to see you warming up to the idea of getting Clowney. He's not your QB of the future but pass rush is your second most important element. Let BOB find a serviceable QB for this season and if things don't go well, draft the QB next year.

squicken

Number 1 between Clowney and Bortles at this point?

That's what LZ seems to think. But if they don't like a QB enough to draft one, I think they try and trade down. I just think, no matter what the Rams and Texans say, Clowney is a luxury pick for teams that have pass rushers. Non-playoff teams don't get to make luxury picks

squicken

Once again I marvel at how many players come out of UNC. but they never really do anything as a program other than soil themselves

e: Love NFL.com streams btw. Better than the TV this weekend

e2:
Hahaha wtf, just heard the report that Banner wanted the coordinators to report directly to him. Smh if true

Browns have denied that report, and said every assistant has reported to the head coach

MechDX

Glad to see you warming up to the idea of getting Clowney. He's not your QB of the future but pass rush is your second most important element. Let BOB find a serviceable QB for this season and if things don't go well, draft the QB next year.

Not warming up just excited by the idea but the same skepticism remains: how much does Clownely really care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom