• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Please no JFF to the Raiders. They need to draft a whole bunch of things before worrying about the QB. With their schedule, they are likely to have a shot at Winston/Mariota next year

2. LZ also had JFF to Oakland, so ... But also said don't expect any safety to go in the top 25. Neither guy has to speed to overcome the lack of position value teams put on safety

http://thesidelineview.com/columns/draft/lance-zierleins-nfl-2014-mock-draft-v1

This is beyond stupid to me. Eagles have no safeties on their team. If they cant get one in FA they have to pass on guys in the first round because of some made up notion of value? What if BPA at 22 is an OT, do they have to take him even though that have Peters and Lane? You should never just blindly draft the best player, you should draft the best player for your team. A safety that can play as a rookie will help the Eagles next year waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more then another OL would.

Colasante

I don't want Hageman on the Patriots.

I don't particularly want him either, but he does have some Richard Seymour-like qualities to him. With the way this mock fell together though, I'm not sure there's someone I'd prefer they take over him, since Amaro or Black Gronk would be a reach at 29.

53785e28d1c6ab9aba95429d.gif

Lets all be friends

Girl looks like a clown! Would NOT!

This is beyond stupid to me. Eagles have no safeties on their team. If they cant get one in FA they have to pass on guys in the first round because of some made up notion of value? What if BPA at 22 is an OT, do they have to take him even though that have Peters and Lane? You should never just blindly draft the best player, you should draft the best player for your team. A safety that can play as a rookie will help the Eagles next year waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more then another OL would.

Why waste a 1st round pick when you can address the need in the 2nd or 3rd and get the same or better results.

Also can address the need in FA.

Edit:I like Hageman, ton of upside. Just needs some good coaching. He's still fairly new to playing DL which is where his inconsistency comes from, I don't think it's an effort issue.

Why waste a 1st round pick when you can address the need in the 2nd or 3rd and get the same or better results.

Also can address the need in FA.

I hope they do address it in FA, but there is no way to say you can get the same or better in the 2nd round. By the time the 44th pick comes around there is no way to know what will be left. If you have a team crippling need you need to fill it before making luxury picks.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Don`t give up jak.

Imagine you`re Matthew Stafford for a moment and you have the Detroit media and fans hounding you, even though you`ve broken every Lions QB record by the age of 25. What does Stafford do? You think he sits around, does nothing and blames other people? No he goes to the gym, study room and works on his game and getting into shape. Stay strong brother, model yourself after Matthew Stafford. You`ll be better for it in the end.

squicken

Why not take Ealy or Ford or Shazier or Mosley and wait on the safety until a later round. The NFL just doesn't put guards and safeties that high on the value chart. They'll draft them high if they are exceptional, but in a draft like this, when you can get talent at premium positions, why force it?

Why not take Ealy or Ford or Shazier or Mosley and wait on the safety until a later round. The NFL just doesn't put guards and safeties that high on the value chart. They'll draft them high if they are exceptional, but in a draft like this, when you can get talent at premium positions, why force it?

The Eagles most definitely do not need DL help, especially not enough to use their f8irst on a DE. Its not like they went to the SB last year, they had to fight to even make the playoffs and then lost to the Saints. They need guys who will play right away. I guess I could see them take a LB, even though I really dont want them to. Look at their safeties, right now you would rate those guys a 1 or a 2, if they could get a guy that is a 7 at safety it would be a huge upgrade, whereas if they get an 8 OLB to replace the 6 they have there now it is only a minor upgrade.

I hope they do address it in FA, but there is no way to say you can get the same or better in the 2nd round. By the time the 44th pick comes around there is no way to know what will be left. If you have a team crippling need you need to fill it before making luxury picks.

Lotta DB depth after the 1st round, no need to force it.

Colasante

The Eagles most definitely do not need DL help, especially not enough to use their f8irst on a DE. Its not like they went to the SB last year, they had to fight to even make the playoffs and then lost to the Saints. They need guys who will play right away. I guess I could see them take a LB, even though I really dont want them to. Look at their safeties, right now you would rate those guys a 1 or a 2, if they could get a guy that is a 7 at safety it would be a huge upgrade, whereas if they get an 8 OLB to replace the 6 they have there now it is only a minor upgrade.

I agree with you on this. I don't see any reason to pass up Pryor or Clinton-Dix just because safeties aren't valued highly. They're good players and they fit a need, and there's no reason to think that the players available late in the 2nd or 3rd will be as good as either of them.

Lotta DB depth after the 1st round, no need to force it.

Also no reason to pass on a guy that will definitely help you, hoping to get another play that might possibly be as good later. I just hate the whole, only certain positions can be drafted in the first round thing. Get a guy that can step in and contribute day one at an area of need.

Also no reason to pass on a guy that will definitely help you, hoping to get another play that might possibly be as good later. I just hate the whole, only certain positions can be drafted in the first round thing. Get a guy that can step in and contribute day one at an area of need.

I have no problem with taking a S in the first, I just don't think Dix and Pryor are that good.

Just my opinion and preference based on looking at fits for the Raiders who also need a safety, I like Bucannon, Loston, Dixon and Boston, all good picks that will be there in the 2nd through 5th.

Regarding your DL, I know you guys only got 37 sacks last year and were often inefficient getting pressure without blitzing, so that could be a need and value pick in the first that would also help your secondary.

squicken

I have no problem with taking a S in the first, I just don't think Dix and Pryor are that good.

Just my opinion and preference based on looking at fits for the Raiders who also need a safety, I like Bucannon, Loston, Dixon and Boston, all good picks that will be there in the 2nd through 5th.

I don't like Pryor in coverage, whatever his speed. He's a box safety. HHCD just isn't fast enough to warrant a first round pick. The Rams also have a desperate need at safety, but he's just not worth it. I think the best free safeties are going to be converted corners, personally. Can't count on the college game to produce them

Regarding your DL, I know you guys only got 37 sacks last year and were often inefficient getting pressure without blitzing, so that could be a need and value pick in the first that would also help your secondary.

They did blitz a ton, but Graham and Curry I believe where their 2 most productive DEs in terms of getting pressure but Davis wasnt comfortable with using them since they are both so weak in coverage. I am hoping another year in this sytem will allow them to improve so that De isnt a huge need. I have no doubt they will grab another guy for the rotation, but hopefully that will be late in the draft or even UDFA. First round I want safety, WR, or QB depending on how things go.

I don't like Pryor in coverage, whatever his speed. He's a box safety. HHCD just isn't fast enough to warrant a first round pick. The Rams also have a desperate need at safety, but he's just not worth it. I think the best free safeties are going to be converted corners, personally. Can't count on the college game to produce them

Yeah agree with all this.

harSon

Banned
Man, the Steelers have so many glaring holes right now that their first round selection is basically a crapshoot at this point. It can go in a number of ways as far as positions targeted are concerned, and none of it will really surprise me...

Tom Penny

I'm pretty confifident Edelman is gone after seeing the Cooper signing. I'm confused on how he got that contract. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I doubt his agents phone was ringing off the hook with teams that wanted to sign him. It's like they outbid themselve to me. That being said Edelman will want 5+ Mil.

I'm pretty confifident Edelman is gone after seeing the Cooper signing. I'm confused on how he got that contract. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I doubt his agents phone was ringing off the hook with teams that wanted to sign him. It's like they outbid themselve to me. That being said Edelman will want 5+ Mil.

If Cooper is worth $5m a year Edelman is worth $10m easily.

effzee

I like Pryor but I would rather safety in FA WR in the first round. They have to get a big #2 with actual talent. Can't get those in FA.

And which WR is projected to be available at pick #22 who will be a day 1 starter?

Dix is small, not super big.
Pryor is a gambler.

Good pass rush/front seven covers up deficiencies in secondary.

I'll take better LBs and a late round prospect like Tre Boston.

Eagles IMO need help all across defense. There is not one position where they are dominant plus they are still transitioning from a 4-3 roster to a 3-4.

Best defensive player available @ pick #22 should be the pick. Be it S, CB, DE, or LB.

Easy to say that now dude. I felt like the vast majority of America bought it hook, line and sinker.

Saw a lot of people say some vile things leading up to that war. Including here at GAF where most people would have bought anything Bush was selling at the time.

Yup. I remember arguing against but there were tons of even the most liberal posters who were pro war. People just wanted blood. As long as it was brown and muslim blood it was ok.

bionic77

Girl looks like a clown! Would NOT!
What you would do to any consenting man, woman and sexy sheep is a pretty long ass list.

Can you narrow down what you are now wiling to do with that big breasted beauty?

And Jak keep your head up bro. You got us. Things will turn around eventually. Start working out. Watch some old Steelers DVDs and join some kind of club or something so you can meet some new people and get out of your rut.

Great Q&A with Greg Hardy

Best Quote:

Greg Hardy said:
I think its because O-linemen are naturally dirty, nasty, disgusting fat people. But if you want to go to war, if you want to fight, I’m that guy, as long as it doesn’t jeopardize my team or my family. And between the lines there are no rules if you don’t get caught. I’m about that life. Fighting is my number 1 talent.

tumblr_inline_n1iekuLLhp1raiirg.gif

That's my mentally unstable, about to be fabulously wealthy defensive end.

And which WR is projected to be available at pick #22 who will be a day 1 starter?

Eagles IMO need help all across defense. There is not one position where they are dominant plus they are still transitioning from a 4-3 roster to a 3-4.

Best defensive player available @ pick #22 should be the pick. Be it S, CB, DE, or LB.

Yup. I remember arguing against but there were tons of even the most liberal posters who were pro war. People just wanted blood. As long as it was brown and muslim blood it was ok.

It is impossible to know exactly how the draft will shake out but everyone seems to be saying how deep this draft is for WR, so hopefully one of the bigger WRs will still be around at 22. I agree that the defense could be upgraded at every spot, but some spots are way more in need of help then others. The safeties last year couldnt cover and couldnt tackle and their sucking forced the corners to play so far off the line. If they get even average safeties then the CBs can come up and play more physical, which is what Davis has said he wants. Improving the safeties will have a profound affect on the defense, much more then a DE or LB would have.

bionic77

Man, the Steelers have so many glaring holes right now that their first round selection is basically a crapshoot at this point. It can go in a number of ways as far as positions targeted are concerned, and none of it will really surprise me...
We just need to draft pretty much an entire elite defense.

That is easy. You just need one pro-bowl pass rusher. One amazing tackle to eat up space and stuff the run. One really smart and fast ILB. One shut down corner. And another superstar player. The rest can be filled with great coaching, experience, and young, athletic players. Oh yeah and depth.

Are you saying we can't do all of that in this years draft?

harSon

Banned
We just need to draft pretty much an entire elite defense.

That is easy. You just need one pro-bowl pass rusher. One amazing tackle to eat up space and stuff the run. One really smart and fast ILB. One shut down corner. And another superstar player. The rest can be filled with great coaching, experience, and young, athletic players. Oh yeah and depth.

Are you saying we can't do all of that in this years draft?

We're probably better off drafting a stellar receiver, hoping our offensive line stays healthy (LOL) and relying on our offense to win games :( Because we basically have at least one massive liability at all facets of our defense, and it's going to be a few years until we can fix it, assuming our draft picks along those lines aren't complete busts...

Striker

Well that's the problem with the Cooper signing. It raised the baseline price for all decent WR's. There is a zero percent chance Edleman gets 10M though. Even Victor Cruz money would be ridiculous.
I remember people (some Giant fans) getting upset over the Phins giving Hartline 5/30M last year.

So I can see Edelman getting something like that, easily.

Hey, new page.

sanchez-fumble-11-22-12.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom