• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABEE

The Eagles need defensive help at Safety, OLB, CB, and at the line.

If the Eagles could score a premium OLB or corner in the first round, I would gladly take it. I would rather address safety through free agency. This year's field represents a buyer's market. It's a deep and talented field. I don't think any of these safeties coming out of the draft are Earl Thomas caliber players. I still can't believe the Eagles drafted Brandon Graham over Thomas and JPP. :(

Tom Penny

To me Edleman is absolutely coming down to the Pats or Houston unless some team randomly overpays him bigtime. Houston makes a ton of sense. They currently have zero players that know the system, he's a pretty good player and he obviously will help the other players learn the system...were the exact opposite would happen to the Pats if he leaves. All WR's with no more than one year in the system excluding the TE that won't even start the season 0_0 Yep we rolling with Glass dola and signing concussion Collie :(

Colasante

Baltimore Ravens are releasing LB Jameel McClain and FB Vonta Leach. I wonder if Leach will go to Miami now, I remember they wanted him pretty badly last offseason, and they need anybody that can help out their run game.

To me Edleman is absolutely coming down to the Pats or Houston unless some team randomly overpays him bigtime. Houston makes a ton of sense. They currently have zero players that know the system, he's a pretty good player and he obviously will help the other players learn the system...were the exact opposite would happen to the Pats if he leaves. All WR's with no more than one year in the system excluding the TE that won't even start the season 0_0 Yep we rolling with Glass dola and signing concussion Collie :(

I can also see Edelman to the Jets. They need reliable pass catchers and they'd love to take him away from the Patriots.

The Eagles need defensive help at Safety, OLB, CB, and at the line.

If the Eagles could score a premium OLB or corner in the first round, I would gladly take it. I would rather address safety through free agency. This year's field represents a buyer's market. It's a deep and talented field. I don't think any of these safeties coming out of the draft are Earl Thomas caliber players. I still can't believe the Eagles drafted Brandon Graham over Thomas and JPP. :(

Would you even want JPP now? 2011 is looking like it might have been a fluke, it is hard to say with all the injuries how he would have done but picking Graham over him wasnt a bad pick at the time considering the types of players the Eagles wanted on defense.

first try I got 8392 points

I was proud of my Finland pick that got me 2400 some points

edit: I don't understand how they calculate the points because I had some far off guesses worth lots of points

I suck at this and haven't passed like 4000 points. I assume everything is the US or Mexico.

cdyhybrid

We just need to draft pretty much an entire elite defense.

That is easy. You just need one pro-bowl pass rusher. One amazing tackle to eat up space and stuff the run. One really smart and fast ILB. One shut down corner. And another superstar player. The rest can be filled with great coaching, experience, and young, athletic players. Oh yeah and depth.

Are you saying we can't do all of that in this years draft?

You also need to draft an All-Pro Safety since Troy is getting up there in age.

squicken

Former Bears GM Jerry Angelo

The trade I’d love to see happen is with Nick Foles. I’d like the Eagles to shop him to any of the teams with a top 4 pick and also get a second-round pick next year. Heck, if they wanted him, I’d throw in Matt Barkley too. You can have a manager hold the clipboard.

If you’re the Eagles, you have to be thinking this: Not since Norm Van Brocklin (if you don’t know who he is, just ask Sal Pal) has a player played the position with as much swagger as Johnny Football.

You got the most exciting coach in all of college football to be your head coach, now you match him up with the most exciting quarterback in college football to run the most exciting offense in football, the one you brought Chip Kelly in to run.

Can you imagine having defenses trying to defend Johnny Manziel and LeSean McCoy in the same backfield? While having wide receiver DeSean Jackson and a healthy Jeremy Maclin on the outside? No Mas!

Kelly did a great job of adjusting his offense to fit around Foles. But let’s be honest, watching Foles perform must have him yawning when he puts the flip card over his mouth to call in plays.

Kelly loves to tell people how resilient they are, and they’ll play anybody, anywhere and any time. I think it’s great mantra. Now you have a guy in Manziel that lets you smile when you say it.

Will Brinson ‏@WillBrinson
Johnny Manziel told Gruden on QB camp that people come up to him and call him "Mr. Football."

Striker

Would you even want JPP now? 2011 is looking like it might have been a fluke, it is hard to say with all the injuries how he would have done but picking Graham over him wasnt a bad pick at the time considering the types of players the Eagles wanted on defense.
Graham coming out really wasn't anything special, whereas JPP was gonna either be a bust or premier type pick. In 2011 he was certainly a defensive player of the year candidate, but injuries took a serious toll to his body in the past two years. We'll see how he rebounds next year, which is going to be a contract year for him.

The Eagles trading up and passing on Earl Thomas when they had the likes of Macho Harris, Sean Jones, and aging Quintin Mikell at Safety. They did end up getting Nate Allen after, but he's ordinary.

Graham coming out really wasn't anything special, whereas JPP was gonna either be a bust or premier type pick. In 2011 he was certainly a defensive player of the year candidate, but injuries took a serious toll to his body in the past two years. We'll see how he rebounds next year, which is going to be a contract year for him.

The Eagles trading up and passing on Earl Thomas when they had the likes of Macho Harris, Sean Jones, and aging Quintin Mikell at Safety. They did end up getting Nate Allen after, but he's ordinary.

I totally agree that passing on Thomas now looks terrible, even worse then it did at the time. Reid is 100% in that safeties cant be taken in the 1st round camp and it totally bite the Eagles in the ass. I just dont get the people who still bring up they could have had JPP, Reid was never going to take a DL like him. They love the smaller high motor guys.

cdyhybrid

We can borrow those smart pills from the Hawks.

Mix them in with some steroids and we are good to go.

I'd tell you to trade us picks for Darrell Bevell, but our offense actually looked functional in the Super Bowl with Harvin back (even though Lynch didn't really get it going). I guess we can keep him around (even though I'll probably be shouting to fire him in half the games next season).

rando14

We can borrow those smart pills from the Hawks.

Mix them in with some steroids and we are good to go.

michael-secret-stuff.jpg

Sorry I couldnt resist

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The main reason to see Bevell go is to help blood pressures across the pacific northwest, but otherwise he's fine.

He's a good OC, but man is it stressful to watch.

Spinluck

I am getting nothing done at work today thanks to this site: http://geoguessr.com/

I lucked out with languages of signs

or had a few ideas and narrowed it down based on the direction of the water

pretty fun

10754 on my first try. Lots of lucky guesses.

Most of the areas I got looked like places Ez would live. So I just picked state that I thought had the most white people.

There was a shoreline that looked too good to be the US, so I guessed Europe.

http://url.geoguessr.com/6ATP

Striker

I totally agree that passing on Thomas now looks terrible, even worse then it did at the time. Reid is 100% in that safeties cant be taken in the 1st round camp and it totally bite the Eagles in the ass. I just dont get the people who still bring up they could have had JPP, Reid was never going to take a DL like him. They love the smaller high motor guys.
If it makes you feel any better, the Giants picked guys like Ramses Barden, Clint Sintim, and Marvin Austin.

It is impossible to know exactly how the draft will shake out but everyone seems to be saying how deep this draft is for WR, so hopefully one of the bigger WRs will still be around at 22. I agree that the defense could be upgraded at every spot, but some spots are way more in need of help then others. The safeties last year couldnt cover and couldnt tackle and their sucking forced the corners to play so far off the line. If they get even average safeties then the CBs can come up and play more physical, which is what Davis has said he wants. Improving the safeties will have a profound affect on the defense, much more then a DE or LB would have.

Problem is why would you trust the Eagles to draft a safety at this point? Reid is gone so there's some hope there but same GM, etc. The Eagles haven't ignored the position since Dawkins left either. They've drafted players. High in the draft to boot to no avail. Macho Harris, Kurt Coleman, Nate Allen (2nd rounder), Jaiquawn Jarrett (2nd Rounder). That's within the last five years. They're trying and failing.

Not to say they should just stop trying but this isn't particularly a strong safety class from what I've read so while I agree with your assessment of choosing the BPA that fits your team, it seems as though reaching for a safety over some of the stronger top heavy positions in the draft doesn't make much sense.

Would you even want JPP now? .
One season coming off of back surgery and a season ending shoulder injury and suddenly he's on the scrap heap? :jnc

People look at his 2012 sack numbers and act like he was invisible on the field. Those people are either fucking blind or don't understand football.

Oh yeah for sure, $12 or $13 is great.

But Charles Johnson gets 6/76, and Hardy gonna get more than that!!

He's already said he's willing to take the tag to stay in Carolina, giving the Panthers time to get their cap in order to sign him long-term next year.

There's one big problem with that statement:

There's absolutely no indication that the Panthers will be out of cap hell by then. Plus there's a 6'5" 235 pound question that's looming on the horizon.

If it makes you feel any better, the Giants picked guys like Ramses Barden, Clint Sintim, and Marvin Austin.
Sintim was the only dumb fuck pick in that group, IMO. 3-4 LB'er that had no business playing outside in the scheme we were running. That was Reese outsmarting himself and the fact that Sintim tore his ACL twice didn't help things either. Regardless of the injury though, he never looked comfortable with the defense outside of a flash here and there pass rushing.

I didn't have an issue with the Ramses and Austin picks. That's not to say I don't regret those picks happening NOW as we could have been looking at rebuilding the offensive line over luxury developmental picks. However I understood the thinking behind them.

Ramses was always a project but at 6'6 he made for an appealing target in the third. Austin was all potential. A possible 1st round talent taken in the second. All value if he panned out. Unfortunately he didn't.

Problem is why would you trust the Eagles to draft a safety at this point? Reid is gone so there's some hope there but same GM, etc. The Eagles haven't ignored the position since Dawkins left either. They've drafted players. High in the draft to boot to no avail. Macho Harris, Kurt Coleman, Nate Allen (2nd rounder), Jaiquawn Jarrett (2nd Rounder). That's within the last five years. They're trying and failing.

Not to say they should just stop trying but this isn't particularly a strong safety class from what I've read so while I agree with your assessment of choosing the BPA that fits your team, it seems as though reaching for a safety over some of the stronger top heavy positions in the draft doesn't make much sense.

One season coming off of back surgery and a season ending shoulder injury and suddenly he's on the scrap heap? :jnc

People look at his 2012 sack numbers and act like he was invisible on the field. Those people are either fucking blind or don't understand football.

I am just saying a DL coming off back surgery is super scary to me. If he comes back and gets back to his 2011 form then of course anyone would want him. But how he will come back is a major question.

I am just saying a DL coming off back surgery is super scary to me. If he comes back and gets back to his 2011 form then of course anyone would want him. But how he will come back is a major question.

Ah, I don't disagree with you there. There's question marks. I'm hopeful for the fact that he was starting to look like his old self midway through the season and then he had the shoulder injury which knocked him out for good. We'll need him for 2014 because there's a good chance Tuck is walking and he'll need to be playing at a high level alongside Demontre Moore who will need to get up to speed fast.

Kiwi will likely start if Tuck walks but his play fell off a cliff last season.:(

He's already said he's willing to take the tag to stay in Carolina, giving the Panthers time to get their cap in order to sign him long-term next year.

There's one big problem with that statement:

There's absolutely no indication that the Panthers will be out of cap hell by then. Plus there's a 6'5" 235 pound question that's looming on the horizon.

No idea what you guys are gonna do next year. With the restructures they already made this year, the Panthers have 102 mil to their 2015 cap but only 29 players under contract.

lol @PFF ranks Tannehill as the number 7th QB last year...what are they smoking, although he was 2nd with 4 4thQ comebacks :( fucken shitty defense/oline....
The o-line made him incredibly difficult to evaluate. You can pin-point a few areas that need improvement: pocket footwork and mobility, decision making, deep ball accuracy, but other than that it's just a muddy mess.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Jerry Angelo is about as credible as Michael Lombardi.

I think JA was a terrible general manager, but I don't know how much blame he deserves compared with Lovie Smith. From what I understand, Lovie had a ton of influence over the draft process after getting to the Super Bowl in 2006. Lovie also managed to run Chico out of town as the defensive coordinator in 2006 for his buddy Bob Babich. Defense regressed like hell in 2007, 2008, and 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom