• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr2xxx

Banned
Not sure why anyone pays attention to Mort on athletic QB's. If a QB goes against the prototypical pocket passer mold he will shit on them.

Fox318

F5xDgeS.gif

It should be the opposite of what the main mock draft will be. The mock is usually what we want to happen, so this should be what we think will happen.
Funny since I always took the main mock as what we thought our respective teams would do. Not what we wanted to happen. The Giants picks would have been far different if it was what WE wanted.

So what's the mock we're doing now?

effzee

Why did the Eagles draft Lane Johnson only to re-sign Peters?

This was answered but yeah this is a great move.

Peters was coming off of two Achilles tears in the same off season. They had no way of knowing if he would return to form. Lane Johnson was an insurance policy for LT and RT. Especially with Vick starting (left handed) they needed his blind side protected even more so.

Drafting Lane gives up the type of athletic tackle Chip wants. He could also move over to LT in case of injury or 3-4 years down the road when Peters is done. Biggest reason was to also move Todd Herremans back to his natural position at G since he was forced to play RT due to injuries.

Jerry Angelo is a loon. Foles is here to stay!

I do see some logic in that if Foles does come back down to earth in year #2 as a starter, the Eagles will be forced to look at a QB coming out next year. Winston? Mariota?

That might be Chip's and the FO's plan anyway. Make Foles earn that contract and money this season. If he fails to do so, they can let him walk and draft the QB Chip really wants.

squicken

@Gil_Brandt just said on @SiriusXMNFL Late Hits that Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles & Johnny Manziel were invited to NYC for #NFL draft

Not sure what that means since before the draft, everyone was sure Geno was a sure fire 1st

Not sure why anyone pays attention to Mort on athletic QB's. If a QB goes against the prototypical pocket passer mold he will shit on them.

I haven't heard that from Mort, but Jaws, Cosell and Simms won't even look at a QB unless he is over 6'4" and can throw a ball through concrete

Cosell was on the Ross Tucker podcast, and he was describing all the QBs, and he really liked Teddy's game, but was worried about his frame. Then he described Bortles and loved his size but thought he had to work on. So Tucker asked him which QB he liked most, he said Bortles, and Tucker was like "it sounds like you prefer Bortles on size alone"

Cosell clarified that he had heard Teddy player at 190 in school and bulked up for the Combine, so I can sort of buy that. 6'2" 190 is pretty damn small

squicken

DK, so what is the procedure behind the mock? We discuss it and then form a consensus? Each do our own? Seems like we have at least enough of initial interest to try and get a consensus.

mr2xxx

Banned
Not sure what that means since before the draft, everyone was sure Geno was a sure fire 1st

I haven't heard that from Mort, but Jaws, Cosell and Simms won't even look at a QB unless he is over 6'4" and can throw a ball through concrete

Cosell was on the Ross Tucker podcast, and he was describing all the QBs, and he really liked Teddy's game, but was worried about his game. Then he described Bortles and loved his size but thought he had to work on. So Tucker asked him which QB he liked most, he said Bortles, and Tucker was like "it sounds like you prefer Bortles on size alone"

Cosell clarified that he had heard Teddy player at 190 in school and bulked up for the Combine, so I can sort of buy that. 6'2" 190 is pretty damn small

Lol, Your right i confuse the two.

effzee

What affect on FA do we expect the delayed draft date to have?

Does it help or hurt the veterans? I was thinking it helps because teams get more time to be scared off by potential first round picks/franchise players and end up going for FAs

MechDX

What affect on FA do we expect the delayed draft date to have?

Does it help or hurt the veterans? I was thinking it helps because teams get more time to be scared off by potential first round picks/franchise players and end up going for FAs

Helps teams for sure. Sign FA needs and supplement with young draft talent.

I'm more interested that teams with new head coaches get a two week jump on OTAs.

Funny since I always took the main mock as what we thought our respective teams would do. Not what we wanted to happen. The Giants picks would have been far different if it was what WE wanted.

So what's the mock we're doing now?

Individual mocks, we compare and contrast. Closest gets to crow about it all season. We're still doing the main mock closer to the draft.
You in?
DK, so what is the procedure behind the mock? We discuss it and then form a consensus? Each do our own? Seems like we have at least enough of initial interest to try and get a consensus.

I think your idea of doing 5 at a time then comparing is the way to go. I think it would be more interesting if we each did our own, but i'm not married to it.

We don't have a user for every team right? At least not in the offseason or that gata hasn't banned...

No, this isn't the main one. See above.

Individual mocks, we compare and contrast. Closest gets to crow about it all season. We're still doing the main mock closer to the draft.
You in?

I think your idea of doing 5 at a time then comparing is the way to go. I think it would be more interesting if we each did our own, but i'm not married to it.

No, this isn't the main one. See above.

Wait...please explain further...

Heck yeah. When do we begin?

Now that the combine's over I think now's as good a time to start as any.

First though we need to come to a consensus, since we could never peg it down for the main mock. I think since it's individual we can simulate trades without repercussions, so we should try to be as accurate to what will happen as possible. The main mock is supposed to be like that, but it tends to telegraph our wants.

squicken

You in?.

Alright. Let's start now and do one pick at a time. We'll do 5 but we'll give time for debate on each pick. We'll make our own, keep a record of it, and take our wieners out after the draft.
Edit: or your way haha

cajunator

Banned
Saints are gonna have to let some fan favorite players go to sign Graham.
this is gonna be rough. Cant argue with his production though.
I was reading that Louis Delmas had the saints as a potential suitor but hes just putting out feelers to find his market value. I expect players like Moore, sproles, possibly colston to be let go as crazy as that sounds.

Wait...please explain further...

Okay. I edited my original post.

The idea is that we debate and try to accurately pick what will happen in the first round of this year's draft. We'll go 5 picks at a time to make it easier. We will also put together our own individual 32 man mocks and post them. Closest to what actually happens at the draft wins. Because the selections are not reliant on what other teams pick, trades will be possible.

THIS IS NOT THE REGULAR MOCK DRAFT. We'll still be doing that closer to the actual draft in May. That draft will be what we want instead of what we think will happen.

Syrinx

Saints are gonna have to let some fan favorite players go to sign Graham.
this is gonna be rough. Cant argue with his production though.
I was reading that Louis Delmas had the saints as a potential suitor but hes just putting out feelers to find his market value. I expect players like Moore, sproles, possibly colston to be let go as crazy as that sounds.

Doesn't Delmas suck? None of the Lions fans here were exactly weeping his release IIRC.

I just think keeping track of trades is too hard. Everyone is going to say "we traded for both of CLE's picks". We are trying to guess what will happen, not should happen

I don't think we have to get super detailed. If say, Carolina trades to get Cleveland's pick, the mock will read Carolina in Cleveland's spot and vice versa.

MechDX

I just think keeping track of trades is too hard. Everyone is going to say "we traded for both of CLE's picks". We are trying to guess what will happen, not should happen

So I'll start and say Houston goes Clowney. They will get their stop gap QB in FA and take the transcendent player, and try and find a QB that BoB can nurture in a later round

Clowney is a smokescreen to try and trade back. If they stay at 1 they take Bortles. He sits a year behind Cassell.

squicken

I don't think we have to get super detailed. If say, Carolina trades to get Cleveland's pick, the mock will read Carolina in Cleveland's spot and vice versa.

That's cool. As long as everyone notates their own mocks it works

e: Mech I just think everyone will be scared to trade up for Clowney. His talent and motor are equally fear. Don't want to risk your job trading up for him. I think Texans would love to trade down but will be "stuck" with the pick.

Okay. I edited my original post.

The idea is that we debate and try to accurately pick what will happen in the first round of this year's draft. We'll go 5 picks at a time to make it easier. We will also put together our own individual 32 man mocks and post them. Closest to what actually happens at the draft wins. Because the selections are not reliant on what other teams pick, trades will be possible.

THIS IS NOT THE REGULAR MOCK DRAFT. We'll still be doing that closer to the actual draft in May. That draft will be what we want instead of what we think will happen.

oh ok I got it, thanks

MechDX

That's cool. As long as everyone notates their own mocks it works

e: Mech I just think everyone will be scared to trade up for Clowney. His talent and motor are equally fear. Don't want to risk your job trading up for him. I think Texans would love to trade down but will be "stuck" with the pick.

Why I said they would take Bortles.

This is the most difficult #1 pick in a while. Clowney is a transcendant prospect, but the Texans are just short of riding Schaub out on a rail. They seem desperate for a QB - I think Bortles or Bridgewater are just as likely.

Round 1

Houston
St. Louis (Traded from WAS)
Jacksonville
Cleveland
Oakland
Atlanta
Tampa Bay
Minnesota
Buffalo
Detroit
Tennessee
New York Giants
St. Louis
Chicago
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Dallas
New York Jets
Miami
Arizona
Green Bay
Philadelphia
Kansas City
Cincinnati
San Diego
Cleveland (Traded from IND)
New Orleans
Carolina
New England
San Francisco
Denver
Seattle

squicken

Why I said they would take Bortles.

Ultimately I just don't see it with Bortles. Maybe all he needs is coaching, but I think QBs going first need to have more production than he has had. Manziel is out b/c he doesn't fit BoB, but I could see Teddy. Cassell + Clowney and then Mettenberger would be my guess

I would said teddy, new front office/coaching staff needs their QB of the future to start grooming now and teddy is most nfl ready of the qbs out there (so i've heard anyways).

Syrinx

I think the Texans, infatuated with Clowney as they may be, end up settling on a QB. They could realistically be right back in the playoffs next year if whoever they draft plays well for them, especially in that stanky-ass division.

Think they end up going with Bridgewater.

rando14

DeionSanders ‏@DeionSanders
“@VanzuraGrant: @DeionSanders #askPrime? You think the Lions will bounce back” a tennis ball hit by Serena can't bounce that high.

Kas, you gotta go on Twitter and protect your honor, brother!!

Put me in the Bridgewater camp for the Texans. It's a tough pick and yes, Clowney's talent is through the roof but I don't see how they address QB with any semblance of competence considering what the QB FA market looks like. Cassell? That's a joke, right?

I don't buy Bortles at #1 but teams have done dumber shit...

I know Mech jokes about it alot, but what are the odds the Texans actually do trade the #1 pick to someone like Cleveland?
I honestly can't see it, unless There's multiple players Texans like equally. As for Cleveland Trading up I'm starting to think we'll stay put no matter what, honestly not even sure Qb will our first pick anymore. I really don't know what to think Cleveland will do with its first pick at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom