• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is Godslay? He better be coming back. His positivity about the Broncos really set a different tone.
He became a shell of a man after that Pats/Broncos game. After that he stopped posting unless it was on game day. As a Patriots fan I feel you should accept full responsibility for this. Shame on you. Look what you've done.

JABEE

http://sulia.com/my_thoughts/3fa343...e=tw&action=share&btn=big&form_factor=desktop

Les Bowen said:
When the season ended, it seemed a 1-year deal might suit both Maclin and the Eagles, limiting their risk and giving Maclin a stronger platform for free agency in a year. But the Birds seem pretty sold on Maclin's recovery - which they oversaw - and they don't have a long history of letting players gain the upper hand on them. The Eagles apparently now are pressing for a longer-term deal. It still seems likely they will reach agreement.

Les Bowen says Eagles likely to reach LT extension with Maclin.

Dragon

Banned
He became a shell of a man after that Pats/Broncos game. After that he stopped posting unless it was on game day. As a Patriots fan I feel you should accept full responsibility for this. Shame on you. Look what you've done.

I did give him a lot of shit for sure. Maybe the SB broke him. Then I'd be responsible for you people and noodle arm leaving. That's too much.

Awesome! Now he just has to remain healthy the whole year.

I heard that on the radio today, that the hold up is Maclin wants a one year prove it deal, but the Eagles are insisting on a multi-year deal for low money. Weird you normally see it go the other way.
Makes sense for Maclin. Why take a multi-year deal for less money and end up being tied down by that contract? Better to take the one year deal, go out and play your ass off and get a potentially bigger payday from the Eagles or another team down the line, right?

It's a scary risk though. He gets injured again during that "prove it" year and he's fucked. It's why Cruz ultimately signed the cheaper contract from the Giants. He wanted the security.

Pitta deal in the 6-7 million dollar range:

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk · 2m

Per league source, the new contract for Ravens TE Dennis Pitta is expected to average between $6 million and $7 million per year.

squicken

Seems like a fair price when compared to the other Tight Ends in that pay range, but still, he's really only played one season. His friendship with Flacco made this deal neccessary though. Mustn't piss off the 120 million dollar QB.

Given they were going to have a fight with him on if he was a TE or WR, I think this is a goo deal for BAL. They can't afford to lose any of the good parts of their passing game

Given they were going to have a fight with him on if he was a TE or WR, I think this is a goo deal for BAL. They can't afford to lose any of the good parts of their passing game

There's one part of their passing game they can totally afford to lose.

But seriously, Pitta, Torrey Smith, and....Mike Evans? would be workable in the hands of a competent QB.

squicken

There's one part of their passing game they can totally afford to lose.

But seriously, Pitta, Torrey Smith, and....Mike Evans? would be workable in the hands of a competent QB.

Not sure Evans is there but I really like Beckham. Though he's only 6' and I saw Torrey Smith express the desire for a move the sticks guy. But it's a deep WR draft, and Ozzie got Torrey in the 2nd. I'm sure he'll find some All Pro in the 3rd for you guys

Makes sense for Maclin. Why take a multi-year deal for less money and end up being tied down by that contract? Better to take the one year deal, go out and play your ass off and get a potentially bigger payday from the Eagles or another team down the line, right?

It's a scary risk though. He gets injured again during that "prove it" year and he's fucked. It's why Cruz ultimately signed the cheaper contract from the Giants. He wanted the security.

Pitta deal in the 6-7 million dollar range:

Yeah it makes sense for him if he can stay healthy all year. He has been hurt to some degree every year, and coming off a major knee injury I am shocked he is willing to go one year. I am glad though that his recovery is going so well.

So I guess Balt can afford Monroe with the increase, only chance now is if agent wants to test FA first, but I don't know if Dolphins should over pay, we always get burned for doing that. I'd much rather they get Zack at 19 or even trading down since it's a deep OT draft.

Saints will/have franchise tagged Jimmy Graham:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 2m

No great surprise, but the Saints will use their franchise tag on tight end Jimmy Graham before Monday’s deadline, per a league source.

Not sure Evans is there but I really like Beckham. Though he's only 6' and I saw Torrey Smith express the desire for a move the sticks guy. But it's a deep WR draft, and Ozzie got Torrey in the 2nd. I'm sure he'll find some All Pro in the 3rd for you guys

Moncrief or Landry would be steals in the 3rd.

So I guess Balt can afford Monroe with the increase, only chance now is if agent wants to test FA first, but I don't know if Dolphins should over pay, we always get burned for doing that. I'd much rather they get Zack at 19 or even trading down since it's a deep OT draft.
Everyone is saying Zack Martin to the Dolphins so I only have one question; who will be the best DE on the board at #19? That will be their pick, of course.

Rorschach

The league will decide not the team. They should have just signed him to an extension for what a comparable WR would get. It is silly to me that TE's do more then WRs on the field yet have to get less money even when they produce more.
Supply and demand, bruh! And WRs block too!

Saints only have about 8 million in salary cap space right now. They need to be careful how they structure any extension for him and they need to get a clearer picture of what their cap is going to look like post-free agency and decide what moves they need to make to clear more speace. The tag gives them flexibility to do so regardless of the designation really.

Furthermore if the franchise tag does come in as a tight end, they have even less reason to pay him out a "comparable" WR contract. They can however make him the highest paid TE in the league and it will still end up being less than if he was a flat out WR.

Unfair? Maybe but teams are going to try to get as much leverage as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom