• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakazato

No idea but I'd imagine it'll be the norm from here on out. Short shelf life and diminished value. It's hard to justify taking a back in the first round unless hes basically a Peterson level no brainer and those are like once a decade at best.

naw gurley is a sure fire 1st and the South carolina RBs could be 1sts

No idea, but from my couch, not sure there's a back in this draft as good as Lacey was as an amateur. Doesn't mean there isn't a back as good or better than Eddie, just not sure I saw one play as well as Lacey did at Bama.

I also though Ellington was the 2nd best back behind Lacey, admittedly watched none of Bernard that year, and he went in the 6th....now that's fucking crazy.

Edit: Crowell's a guy who has as much or more talent than anyone, but he has the off field stuff, could be a huge get

Good eye, Ellington is a stud and was an absurd steal for us in the late 6th. He was our second 6th round pick at that ha He's going to have a much larger role this season according to Arians.

rando14

Good eye, Ellington is a stud and was an absurd steal for us in the late 6th. He was our second 6th round pick at that ha He's going to have a much larger role this season according to Arians.

I remember watching the cards games and thanking god that mendenhall was getting more carries than Ellington lol

I remember watching the cards games and thanking god that mendenhall was getting more carries than Ellington lol

i am just glad carson palmer is the QB for another year. cards defense is a beast and they have the makings of a potentially decent offense but carson will always keep you hangin' around!

i am just glad carson palmer is the QB for another year. cards defense is a beast and they have the makings of a potentially decent offense but carson will always keep you hangin' around!

Problem with Ellington is he's too small to be an every down back so he's always going to work in tandem with another guy but I think we can keep him in for most downs with a sproles type role. The kid has already put on 10 pounds to try and absorb hits better so I'm very interested to see how his expanded role plays out.

As for Carson, this year will tell us what he's really made of and if he can still play. He has the play book down and chemistry built with the receivers, no excuses this time around. I honestly believe he'll be solid over all and good enough to go the distance if our D does its thing and we enhance his protection which we will this off season. Cooper alone will go a long way and every indication is we are going to ensure we upgrade the LT position one way or another.

Problem with Ellington is he's too small to be an every down back so he's always going to work in tandem with another guy but I think we can keep him in for most downs with a sproles type role. The kid has already put on 10 pounds to try and absorb hits better so I'm very interested to see how his expanded role plays out.

As for Carson, this year will tell us what he's really made of and if he can still play. He has the play book down and chemistry built with the receivers, no excuses this time around. I honestly believe he'll be solid over all and good enough to go the distance if our D does its thing and we enhance his protection which we will this off season. Cooper alone will go a long way and every indication is we are going to ensure we upgrade the LT position one way or another.

i don't think carson is horrible but just like stafford, romo and other QB's he will serve you up turnovers on the regular. that is how he has always been

i don't think carson is horrible but just like stafford, romo and other QB's he will serve you up turnovers on the regular. that is how he has always been

While this is true, he really cut them down once he had the system down pat. The exception was the SEA game but at least two were off of tips which weren't his fault. He's still known for throwing pics but he's also been on bad teams where he just slung it to low talent or in garbage time. This will be the season where we see what he's made of, if he can be mediocre/solid QB that can win with talent around him or if he's just a twilight turnover machine.

Cosell on Bortles.
NFL Films' Greg Cosell stated on the Ross Tucker Podcast that he believes UCF's Blake Bortles is the top quarterback in the 2014 draft class based on tape study.
Cosell says he's watched 12-13 draft-eligible QBs intensely so far. Cosell conceded Bortles must polish his lower-body mechanics and footwork, but offers plus size, "good" arm strength that Cosell believes will improve once his technique is fixed, and an ability to "maintain downfield focus" under duress. "There's a lot to work with, with Bortles," Cosell stated. "I think ultimately he's a pocket passer who can execute boot action. He can extend plays, and he can run effectively if that's what you want to do. So I think that he's someone I would look to as, given time, he could be a quality NFL starter."

Random question for 9ers fans, what's with lattimore? Think he'll be a solid part of the Rb Equation when/if healthy this season.

Pete Prisco @PriscoCBS
Follow
If Browns get Sam Shields, he will be Frank Minnifield to Haden's Hanford Dixon.
11:07 AM - 1 Mar 2014
For all the olds, but go get him!

Cosell on Bortles.

Random question for 9ers fans, what's with lattimore? Think he'll be a solid part of the Rb Equation when/if healthy this season.

For all the olds, but go get him!

lattimore is close to 100% but i don't know what his contribution will be. it will come down to his vision and if he can block. frank gore has lasted so long in this league because he is one of the best blocking RB's in the league (and honestly in league history) and his vision is still elite. he doesn't have the burst and goes down easier than he did early in his career but he can still produce. the problem with gore is that while his vision is still great, his body cannot always take advantage of that vision. holes close fast in the NFL and he just doesn't have the same burst he used to. every now and again he can turn it on but i would guess this is his last year as a major contributor. hopefully lattimore can learn a thing or two!

I've still got more of SOA to watch on netflix -_-

i binged watched it a couple years ago (all 4 seasons that were up at the time). and it started to drop off in seasons 3 and 4. now i'm watching season 5 and it is fucking brutal. the acting is so bad and some of the situations are just stupid.

bionic77

While this is true, he really cut them down once he had the system down pat. The exception was the SEA game but at least two were off of tips which weren't his fault. He's still known for throwing pics but he's also been on bad teams where he just slung it to low talent or in garbage time. This will be the season where we see what he's made of, if he can be mediocre/solid QB that can win with talent around him or if he's just a twilight turnover machine.
Carson is just a loser. And now in addition to being a loser he is old now too.

Dude is so fucking lucky to play for that coach and with that defense. He shouldn't be a starter but keeps getting bailed out.

wow I just spent the last 7 hours reading on the french revolution, the reformation and subsistence strategies and resource allocation in cultural anthropology....I need a drink

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
tumblr_lt9tjrgETZ1qi9qvfo1_500.png

Any NFLGaffers getting Dark Souls II? I was going to sell my PS3 but decided to keep it because the offers I was getting wasn't worth it IMO. Tried selling it for $200 with 3 games, then dropped it to $165 and I was getting offers for around $130 and its my only Blu Ray/Netflix player so I just decided to hold onto to it.

Anyways we need to get some Jolly Cooperation going. I'm pretty pumped for this and South Park Stick of Truth but I'll probably only have time to play on the weekends.

Cosell on Bortles.

I'm on the Bortles bus. This draft is gonna be a blast though. There are so many ways the first 5 picks could go and that's without someone trading up. Right now I'm at Bortles and the best WR on the board with our extra 1st.

Of course free agency will change a lot of things up for some teams draft-wise but I don't see an answer in free agency for a QB or legit WR. In free agency I'd like to land a solid G and Jarius Byrd if Buffalo doesn't franchise him again. Probably have to replace Mack somewhere too. I like Ben Tate also but the cost may just be too high when you can find good RBs all over the draft anymore.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Are there any other official NFL websites that do mock drafts? Don't think I've seen any, but the Bengals have always been a bit of an oddball franchise.

Still like the fact that they have the Lions having Mike Evans. Evans is going to be a legitimate number 1 receiver on any team. Having him opposite of Megatron is going to do wonders for Stafford and our offense as a whole. He reminds me of a Vincent Jackson in terms of size, route running and speed.

And I've said it before but I think Megatron is a huge injury concern from here on out in his career. He is already having knee issues and at his size I think it'll become more of an issue going forward.

Spinluck

Dear Nfl Network,

Heath Evans is horrible, stop putting him on TV and embarrassing yourself.

Thanks

i rather have the serial rapist sharper back.

although, the women at nfl network would probably terrified, and suddenly recall instances where he bought them drinks.

squicken

This could be one of the best draft classes ever. One AFC front office executive surmised that Fisher might not have been picked in the top 15 this year.

That sound you heard last weekend at the NFL Scouting Combine while the prospects performed drills was Rams general manager Les Snead licking his chops. Same with Browns GM Ray Farmer, 49ers GM Trent Baalke, and Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell.

All four are armed with extra picks in this year’s draft — Snead with the No. 2 overall selection from Washington, Farmer with an additional first and third, Baalke with an extra second and third, and Caldwell with an extra fourth and two extra fifths.

I always felt last year was a great reminder that the NFL is 90% chance. The Chiefs have the worst record in football and get a decent right tackle the year after the Colts get a transcendent QB

squicken

Some interesting dissension is brewing in Buffalo, where coach Doug Marrone and his staff reportedly want to replace the team’s old-school training staff, headed by Bud Carpenter, who just completed his 30th season with the team. According to the Buffalo News, the coaching staff thinks Carpenter’s “stim and ice” philosophy to healing — electrical stimulation to injured areas, followed by ice — is outdated by today’s standards, but is facing resistance from the front office, which isn’t fully on board with Marrone’s goal to change the Bills’ culture from top to bottom.

The Bills had a fairly healthy roster in 2013, but quarterback E.J. Manuel missed two exhibition and six regular-season games with three knee injuries. Marrone has stated that player health is his team’s top goal for 2014.

bionic77

I don't mind few small ones but sleeves and tattoos covering entire parts of your body always look tacky and terrible to me.
Also most are really tacky or have shitty art.

If you are going to get a tattoo get something that is small and looks good.

I am biased but hot girls should not get them. It must be blasphemy to think some tattoo artist can improve on Tebows dad's work

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

There really isn't a discussion to be had, most fans have been waiting for the old guard to retire for quite some time. The old school mentality is adorable to adhere to, but the game is about winning. They always let talent walk when it was time to pay them, because of The Old Ways. They never pick up FA talent because that's not part of the Old Way. The still leech their players because that's how it was done in the Civil War. This is well and good when you're Green Bay and have had future HoF QBs and a relatively coaching staff for decades, not when you haven't even sniffed the playoffs in the same amount of time.

I may or may not have posted this rant already when that report broke out.

Konka

Banned
Also most are really tacky or have shitty art.

If you are going to get a tattoo get something that is small and looks good.

I am biased but hot girls should not get them. It must be blasphemy to think some tattoo artist can improve on Tebows dad's work

Yeah like that chick bucket posted, fucking flowers. Ugh.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
There really isn't a discussion to be had, most fans have been waiting for the old guard to retire for quite some time. The old school mentality is adorable to adhere to, but the game is about winning. They always let talent walk when it was time to pay them, because of The Old Ways. They never pick up FA talent because that's not part of the Old Way. The still leech their players because that's how it was done in the Civil War. This is well and good when you're Green Bay and have had future HoF QBs and a relatively coaching staff for decades, not when you haven't even sniffed the playoffs in the same amount of time.

I may or may not have posted this rant already when that report broke out.

Thanks for reminding me that our training staff is horrible and probably uses leeches just like you said.

Also this thread was on the second page when I first posted this morning.

You people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom