• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain something to me - I find contract schenanigans for American sports really hard to follow. If the Cowboys are $1m over the cap now, does that include some kind of projection for their draft picks and how much they are paid or will they have to make more room at a later date?

I could be wrong but I believe that is only current contracts and team have to get a few million under the cap for draft picks and such. That is why the Cowboys are still talking about cutting Ware and Austin.

Dragon

Banned
Look at this grammar dunce.

Put on your Uggs and play in traffic.

tumblr_myzm8vgEbY1roqmr5o1_250.gif

MRSA

Banned
Can someone explain something to me - I find contract schenanigans for American sports really hard to follow. If the Cowboys are $1m over the cap now, does that include some kind of projection for their draft picks and how much they are paid or will they have to make more room at a later date?

The salary cap accounts for I think the top 45 salaries on the roster. You have to get under the initial cap before the start of free agency. After the start of free agency you can be over the cap but certain dates you have to be at a roster limit which includes trimming the cap.

BigAT

No protection for draft picks, they'll have to make more space later. Although you can have your rookies in camp without them counting against the camp if they haven't signed their deals yet, so they have time to make the space.

Cowboys were an exceptional amount over the cap to start the offseason, so they've had to make all these moves just to get "only" $1M over.

Oddly looking old man is jacked

Playing Joel in the Last of Us movie.

Talon

So from now (early March) to the start of the season, only the Top 51 cap numbers + the pro-rata bonus numbers of the rest of the roster count against the cap. That also includes any dead money from guys no longer on the roster.

What's the reason for this? Well, rosters balloon to 90 as we get to training camp and such, and about 35 of those guys are going to be UDFAs or just FAs that will be getting non-guaranteed contracts (literally day-by-day).

So with rookie contracts, in all likelihood, only the guys drafted in the first four rounds will fall within the "Top 51." But, remember, that's a fixed 51 so those four (or more or less) guys will be replacing other contracts. In other words, rookie contracts don't cause that much movement in regards to the cap.

When people talk about the "rookie cap," it's not a separate cap number. It's just how much money is allocated based on the number of picks that a team has.

Anyways, little known fact that is rarely explained by ESPN or even NFL Network. I believe Brandt wrote about this last year.

So on the radio in Philly they are saying that the Bills offered Bryd a contract that would have made him by far the highest paid safety in the NFL. I wonder if that means he wants even more then that or if it was just that he didnt want to play for the Bills. Troy is the highest paid safety at about $9.5m a year, I wonder how much higher then that teams will be willing to go for Bryd.

So asking this seriously:

Why do you guys hate Tom Brady?

I've asked friends this before but nobody ever gives me a real answer.

Is it because of the 3 championships? Him being successful? Jealousy?

I'm actually really curious.

He's in the AFC east and has been kicking our assess for over 10 years,

gutshot

So on the radio in Philly they are saying that the Bills offered Bryd a contract that would have made him by far the highest paid safety in the NFL. I wonder if that means he wants even more then that or if it was just that he didnt want to play for the Bills. Troy is the highest paid safety at about $9.5m a year, I wonder how much higher then that teams will be willing to go for Bryd.

He doesn't want to play for the Bills. Would you?

Doesn't get along with the front office, is sick of the changes that constantly happen, hates Wandering Wind, wants a superbowl ring....it's hard to guess why he might've left.

He doesn't want to play for the Bills. Would you?

Hard to say but I would think I would want to. They have a great fanbase, super hard core and they support the team well. Plus I would think it would be cool to be part of the team that brings a SB to a city that hasnt had one before. The biggest thing would be the coach though, and if you get along with him. Just seems odd to me that a guy would turn down a huge contract like that, people always say that it is all about money, but he could be leaving money on the table depending on how FA goes.

bionic77

So asking this seriously:

Why do you guys hate Tom Brady?

I've asked friends this before but nobody ever gives me a real answer.

Is it because of the 3 championships? Him being successful? Jealousy?

I'm actually really curious.
You have been here for more than a year and you have to ask this question?

I was sure Gata was the slowest poster here but now I am not so sure anymore...

PS Google my nick and Tom Brady and you will get your answer. If you still have questions I will clear things up later today.

PS Google my nick and Tom Brady and you will get your answer. If you still have questions I will clear things up later today.

I cant wait to read it.

Dragon

Banned

Screen%20Shot%202014-03-04%20at%2010.32.03%20AM.png

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m

Moments ago at his Pro Day, Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack clocked the 40 in a 4.54....

Doesn't look like he plays that fast to me. I dunno what it is, but I'm still not sold on him. I think I'd probably take, Donald, Barr and even Kony over him.

Reggie McKenzie and Doug Whaley (Buffalo) are the only GMs to attend in person at Khalil Mack's Pro Day.

Ah shit lol.. smh.

I had no idea Joe Banner was 5'5" and 130 lbs. I'm not saying smaller folk are inferior or anything, but I can totally see Ken Whisenhunt getting perturbed at Banner questioning his coaching staff

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/248302181.html

It is funny to read in that article how people tried to claim last year that no one would want to coach for the Eagles due to having to work with Roseman, and now all you hear is what a great job Howie is doing.

I'm pretty excited for FA this year, this seems like an unprecedented amount of quality LTs available, normally they are all franchised tagged until a deal is done. There are also a couple qualities safeties. We should be able to address at least one of the two positions which could really free up our first draft pick. Granted, if the top 3 tackles are taken before our turn we'd probably go elsewhere with the pick anyway but no Cards fan wants to stand pat at LT.

squicken

Auburn has its pro day today as well, and I imagine more people are there just to see Ford, since he didn't work out at the Combine

Rob Rang ‏@RobRang
There are five legitimate candidates to go No. 1 to the Texans. They are rushers Clowney & Mack, QBs Bortles & Bridgewater & OT Robinson.

Texans' choice really comes down to either taking best player (Clowney or Robinson), best fit (Mack) or building for future with new QB...

... For most teams picking No. 1, I'd argue for QB but w/ a roster largely built to win now, I expect Texans to value immediate impact.

Stay away from Robinson you whores!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Auburn has its pro day today as well, and I imagine more people are there just to see Ford, since he didn't work out at the Combine

Stay away from Robinson you whores!

I don't understand how a team can be built to "win now" when they won less games than every other team in the league last year.

I really don't understand the logic of how a team doesn't need a QB when their only two guys are Schaub and Keenum.

squicken

I don't understand how a team can be built to "win now" when they won less games than every other team in the league last year.

I really don't understand the logic of how a team doesn't need a QB when their only two guys are Schaub and Keenum.

I'm with you. Lots of people outside Houston just don't see how bad the whole team was. They thought it was all Schaub melting down. The reality was a total inability to draft any depth and a top heavy cap finally caught up with them.

The only argument, to me, for taking a QB, is b/c they won't again, any time soon, be in a position to get a QB as good as they can get now

MechDX

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 2h
#Packers have been fans of TE Garrett Graham since he came out of Wisconsin. Fits their scheme. But we’ll see if he makes it to the market

Greg....we are going to fight if this happens. Leave my Sconi TE's alone!

I'm with you. Lots of people outside Houston just don't see how bad the whole team was. They thought it was all Schaub melting down. The reality was a total inability to draft any depth and a top heavy cap finally caught up with them.

The only argument, to me, for taking a QB, is b/c they won't again, any time soon, be in a position to get a QB as good as they can get now

The Texans have more talent than the Colts two years ago and the Chiefs last season. That's why. If Alex Smith can bring the Chiefs back someone like Cassell/Vick/etc... could do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom