• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per my sources (twitter) Miami is ready to throw money at Albert or Monroe, per a sports editor at the combine, Monroe's agent heard Miami was willing to pay big for Monroe which would explain why Balt/Monroe are 'far apart' on a deal, they are willing to wait and see what Miami will offer.

Per my sources (twitter) Miami is ready to throw money at Albert or Monroe, per a sports editor at the combine, Monroe's agent heard Miami was willing to pay big for Monroe which would explain why Balt/Monroe are 'far apart' on a deal, they are willing to wait and see what Miami will offer.
So how mad are you going to be when they whiff for the second year in a row and have to resign McKinnie to a short deal?

Monroe or Veldheer, please.

Not as angry as other years since I've accepted that this year is a wash anyways (until pre-seaon when the hype gets to me...)
The only reason I don't want this season to be a wash is Tannehill. If he doesn't improve drastically this year I think he might be done in Miami, but anything less than making the playoffs wouldn't be improvement. I still have some hope for him and I'd hate to see him go somewhere else and be successful.

squicken

But in the wake of a Boston Globe report pegging Kaepernick's magic number around $18 million, I cannot emphasize strongly enough how far a deal structured in that manner will fall short.

So I'm going to let you in on another little secret: Kaepernick believes he is a top-five quarterback. Staunchly. Now, you and I can debate this -- and likely will, later in this here column -- but in the end, what I think and what you believe is irrelevant. San Francisco eventually has to get Kaepernick to agree to sign away the next five-plus years of his playing career, and that absolutely, positively will not come cheap. At a time when Aaron Rodgers is the league's top-rated passer at $22 million a year, and an aging Peyton Manning is the fifth-highest paid at $19.2 million a season, Kaepernick feels, in his bones, to his core, that he belongs somewhere between there, and I bet sometime in the next three months he gets just that, same as Flacco and Ryan did a year ago.

Now, Kaepernick would never express any of these feelings publicly, and there's no need for him to. In the end, all the talking that needs to occur happens on the field. The body of work speaks loudest.

So, Kaepernick, if he signs a contract extension with the 49ers, will be doing so in the range of $20 million per season, putting him among the top five or six salaries in the history of the game. Otherwise, he'll play for his $1M in 2014 and then force the issue with the 49ers as to whether they franchise him, or sign him to what will in all likelihood be an even more massive contract come 2015 if this kid continues to develop as rapidly as he has to this point. And you can go ahead and ask the Ravens if they would have preferred to have Flacco signed at around $16.6M annually, as they could have in 2011, or Flacco at $20.1M annually, as was the case when he put pen to paper after winning the Super Bowl following the 2012 season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...m-per-deal-whether-niners-pay-up-now-or-later

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu4k5sTzxIw&feature=kp

The only reason I don't want this season to be a wash is Tannehill. If he doesn't improve drastically this year I think he might be done in Miami, but anything less than making the playoffs wouldn't be improvement. I still have some hope for him and I'd hate to see him go somewhere else and be successful.

Yeah that's what worries me too but nothing about this team gets me excited for next year, I mean yeah they've made some right moves so far (grimes, Lazor, new oline coach) but they still have Coyle as DC and we aren't switching to a 3-4, Carroll is still on the team, I don't trust Philbin at all to coach this team to the playoffs, best case scenario for next year to me at least is Tannehill shows massive improvement while the team still misses playoffs and ross cleans house while keeping Tannehill but I'm pretty sure the next HC would want his own OC and lazor would be gone and Tannehill would have to learn an new offense again. We are pretty screwed either way I think, unless Philbin/tannehill lead us into a playoff win this year (yes win, fuck just getting in, I want a win)

Striker

I think trading up for Ebron would make more sense for Seattle. It wont cost 2 firsts, and he would only cost $1.7m rather then the $12m that Graham would cost.
Yeah it would be a waste of money to pay all that for Graham. He won't be used like he is in NO and they already have a boatload in Harvin and need to pay some key defensive players. Plenty of viable receiving TE's in this draft.

Saints would be wise to get more picks if they can. I'm thinking they could go QB early this year.

Yeah it would be a waste of money to pay all that for Graham. He won't be used like he is in NO and they already have a boatload in Harvin and need to pay some key defensive players. Plenty of viable receiving TE's in this draft.

Saints would be wise to get more picks if they can. I'm thinking they could go QB early this year.

Yeah they definitely need to start looking at QBs, Luke McCown and someone named Ryan Griffin are the other QBs on the roster. They are in a tough spot, Brees will be 36 next year and if guys liek Brady are anything to go by his play will start to fall off sooner rather then later.

LJ11

I think today may be the tipping point. Not sure I can root for this team after this Aaron Williams extension, this is what happens when you put yourself into a corner. Drafted this scrub to begin with, does fuck all his first two years, they put him out of his misery and move him to safety, still looked lost at times but managed to snag a few ints and ink an extension that pays him top 5 S guaranteed money.

FUCKING KILL ME!

I think today may be the tipping point. Not sure I can root for this team after this Aaron Williams extension, this is what happens when you put yourself into a corner. Drafted this scrub to begin with, does fuck all his first two years, they put him out of his misery and move him to safety, still looked lost at times but managed to snag a few ints and ink an extension that pays him top 5 S guaranteed money.

FUCKING KILL ME!

Wow, 4 years $26 million. That is big money, guess they were desperate after losing Bryd.

"Aaron Williams is a versatile player who has grown into a key playmaker for our defense in recent years," general manager Doug Whaley said in a statement. "Aaron is the type of young, core player we targeted early in the process to retain for years to come and this will be our philosophy moving forward."

Bread

Banned

FUCKING KILL ME!
join me and mech in pats south, the water is warm!

I wouldn't like it. Seattle's a run-first offense that puts value in blocking tight ends, that's why Zach miller hasn't had all that many catches over the years. Zach however is a good blocking TE and is why I still think we want to bring him back at a re-structured contract.

It'd be tough to convince me that Graham would be worth two of our first rounders. Graham's a great receiver but I've never been impressed with his blocking, and he was a complete no-show in the playoffs. He's also going to be 28 and wants a big, long contract. I'd rather take my chances with an upper round TE (asj, amaro, etc).

That said Grahams a great player, clearly a huge RZ threat and his chemistry with Brees is excellent. I just don't think he'd be a good fit for us.

Yea. But on the other hand, he was pretty dominant against not the Seahawks all year, and he catches almost anything remotely around him. But yea, the Seattle rumor threw me off because I don't think it's be a good fit. JG run blocking lol.

If Niners are smart they will make Kap play it out and earn it the way Flacco did.

That was a genius move by the Ravens and it got them a Superbowl.

Fuck paying unproven talent. They can still franchise him if they can't come to a deal after next year.

It also cost the Ravens an extra $4m a year for the life of the deal. That money would have been enough to keep Boldin.

MechDX

join me and mech in pats south, the water is warm!

BhacDy9CYAIo5kE.jpg

Watt/Clowney Tour 2014.

That's a lot of money for one year of production

Vrabel gives his speech about being the underdog hard worker and they are going to draft Clowney? I just can't see it.

I swear you just love saying the opposite of my opinion! STOP IT!

Vrabel/Kollar seem like the perfect combo along with Watt/Cushing to keep Clowney in line.
maybe its just a smokescreen! dun dun dun!

squicken

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
Geoff Mosher of CSN Philly says on PFT Live he thinks Eagles WR DeSean Jackson could be "one false step away" from being cut.

What the hell is going on there?

If Niners are smart they will make Kap play it out and earn it the way Flacco did.

That was a genius move by the Ravens and it got them a Superbowl.

Fuck paying unproven talent. They can still franchise him if they can't come to a deal after next year.

Kap and Russ have basically been in the spot Big Ben was his first couple of years. Dominant team where he just had to make a few plays and not lose. Can those two guys evolve to where they can carry an offense like he does, even when the defense isn't so hot? Kap basically just needs to get 17 points on the board and SF wins

FUCKING KILL ME!
...and they let Byrd walk in the process. I feel for you, LJ. :(

xnipx

It also cost the Ravens an extra $4m a year for the life of the deal. That money would have been enough to keep Boldin.

Joe turned the deal down before the season. We made him win a Super Bowl to get top 5 money.

Kap will probably turn down any deal less than 20 mil a year so all this talk is pointless. If we gets knocked out in the NFC championship again he probably goes elsewhere.

Ill take a Super Bowl and an overpaid qb any day over constant afc championship appearances.

bionic77

No way he wins that SB or has that playoffs if they gave him the big contract.

And think of what they would have saved if he sucked dick that year.

To me for most positions you should make them earn it. Contract year performances ain't no joke.

What the hell is going on there?

Kap and Russ have basically been in the spot Big Ben was his first couple of years. Dominant team where he just had to make a few plays and not lose. Can those two guys evolve to where they can carry an offense like he does, even when the defense isn't so hot? Kap basically just needs to get 17 points on the board and SF wins
Ben would have won both of those games when Kap could not get it done.

Russ is a better comparison. He is a winner, just like Ben.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom