• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farooq

Banned
Jerry Jones is pretty fuckin stupid. What Cowboys fans don't realize is that he's immortal.

If they draft Manziel, they will probably try to ship Romo. Trading Romo means 28 million in dead money accelerated to the Cowboys cap, which fucks up their 12 million restructure plan, totaling 40 fucking million. Not happening.

The Cowboys are riding Romo and his 95.8 career passer rating t'll he retires.

ShaneB

I hope little kappy and wussel fleece the Niners and Chickens for all they have. Kap seems like he's pushing for it :D

As much as I would like to think DangeRuss is a nice guy and would take less for the team, there's no doubt he'll end up around 20 million or so depending on how next season turns out.

No way he wins that SB or has that playoffs if they gave him the big contract.

And think of what they would have saved if he sucked dick that year.

To me for most positions you should make them earn it. Contract year performances ain't no joke.

Ben would have won both of those games when Kap could not get it done.

Russ is a better comparison. He is a winner, just like Ben.

I think when it comes to QBs they take up so much of your cap, and it is so hard to even find a good one, you are better off locking them up for less money when you have the chance. Even if Flacco hadnt won the SB the Ravens still would have resigned him, you cant let a QB walk unless you are sure you have a good replacement in place, and almost no teams have good backups just waiting in the wings.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
College football is terrible.

It occasionally amuses me on Saturday afternoons.

My ex father in law was the one who I really watched it with so there's not really any incentive for me to follow it. It just doesn't have the draw of the NFL for me to watch it just because.

Outside of that I hope Ohio State, Notre Dame, USC, Oklahoma, and Texas die in a fire.

Especially Notre Dame.

MechDX

I think when it comes to QBs they take up so much of your cap, and it is so hard to even find a good one, you are better off locking them up for less money when you have the chance. Even if Flacco hadnt won the SB the Ravens still would have resigned him, you cant let a QB walk unless you are sure you have a good replacement in place, and almost no teams have good backups just waiting in the wings.

This is the reason Harbaugh will get paid. Who else could have done what he did with Smith and Kaep?

Niners are completely brain dead if they let him walk.
or trade him

Posted yet?
Yeah, earlier. They did the same for Heath Miller but the extensions don't include any guaranteed money (at least it doesn't for Miller). It's way to bring down their cap numbers. Steelers need to clear space. They were over something like 11 million before they started making these moves and before the cap upgrade.

The squeelers are pretty much in cap hell right? Not sure how all the moves have helped yet.

Nope. After the cap went to $133 mil they were only over by like 5 or 6 mil. And once they dump Levi Brown next week, they'll save 9 mil I believe. Add in today's restructures and the upcoming restructures or cuts to guys like Ike Taylor and they're in good shape.

MechDX

Posted yet?

Ill get blasted by Steelers GAF but I give no fucks.

All loyalty will do in the NFL is get your head coach and GM fired and put your team in complete rebuild mode. Keeping a player on because he has done well in the past just doesn't jive well. the NFL, like it or not, is a business. When someone doesn't perform they need to be removed.

I witnessed that loyalty bullshit first hand this season and sooner or later it WILL catch up to you. The Colts and Ravens were smart to move on when they did from Manning and Reed.

before anyone says some snarky comment: I am all for trading Dre, cutting Schaub, Chris Myers, Owen Daniels and Danieal Manning. It will save the Texans about 25 million (not including Dres hit) in cap space this season.

squicken

Not trying to be a jerk, but what exactly are the Steelers trying to hang on to? I mean the window is closed on that core. Not saying get rid of Ben, but to me, he's the only over 30 guy to hang on to. Loyalty to Troy is nice, but as I saw someone say on Twitter, they are basically just bringing back the 8-8 band year after year

edit: see mech we can agree!

Ill get blasted by Steelers GAF but I give no fucks.

All loyalty will do in the NFL is get your head coach and GM fired and put your team in complete rebuild mode. Keeping a player on because he has done well in the past just doesn't jive well. the NFL, like it or not, is a business. When someone doesn't perform they need to be removed.

I witnessed that loyalty bullshit first hand this season and sooner or later it WILL catch up to you. The Colts and Ravens were smart to move on when they did from Manning and Reed.

before anyone says some snarky comment: I am all for trading Dre, cutting Schaub, Chris Myers, Owen Daniels and Danieal Manning. It will save the Texans about 25 million (not including Dres hit) in cap space this season.

Troy is not going to play 3 more seasons, he knows it and the team knows it. He had a decent year last year finally staying healthy for a full season, but by no means is this to keep him a starter for the longer term. All this is is a restructure to help give them more cap room and to give them depth and leadership on the roster. As for Heath, he's still a productive player and a key to what Haley and the O want to do. Plus, their other TEs suck.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Guess I'm late, but wow those new Buccs uniforms are some bush league trash.

How the fuck do you go from one of the absolute best looks in pro sports to that pile of shit? The oversized logos on the helmet look absurd, and the uniforms are so damn garish... ugh, I hate everything about it.

Fuck off Nike. I thought Reebok blew, but goddamn Nike sucks. And get that ridiculous fucking stitching off every team's collars as well - I HATE it.

MechDX

Not trying to be a jerk, but what exactly are the Steelers trying to hang on to? I mean the window is closed on that core. Not saying get rid of Ben, but to me, he's the only over 30 guy to hang on to. Loyalty to Troy is nice, but as I saw someone say on Twitter, they are basically just bringing back the 8-8 band year after year

lol

It just all hit me at once after seeing Polamalu get a new "loyalty" deal and reading this:

http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/3/5/5437204/2014-houston-texans-offseason-if-i-was-rick-smith

Cut ties. take the pain now and the chances are greater it will help in the long run.

What's the details of the extension?

You're assuming that loyalty netted him an extension with more guaranteed money and time with the team. If the deal is structured like Miller, there is no guaranteed money built into the extension years. Which means the move lets them keep a known commodity (I'm sure the coaching staff is aware that Troy isn't the player he once was) while lowering his overall cap number and having the ability to cut him down the line without incurring much if any cap hit in the process.

What's the details of the extension?

You're assuming that loyalty netted him an extension with more guaranteed money and time with the team. If the deal is structured like Miller, there is no guaranteed money built into the extension years. Which means the move lets them keep a known commodity (I'm sure the coaching staff is aware that Troy isn't the player he once was) while lowering his overall cap number and having the ability to cut him down the line without incurring much if any cap hit in the process.

Bingo. But I doubt they even have to cut him. I firmly believe this is Troy's last year.

Striker

DE Justin Tuck
1. Patriots -- Tuck is a versatile player who can thrive inside and out. Can't you just see Bill Belichick finding unique ways to use his talents? Tuck would also be of great help to a defense that had trouble stopping the run late in the season. He's one of the best run-stopping defensive ends in football

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/...4_ideal_landing_spots_for_giants_top_fas.html

ibhRKTKsAI9Yi1.gif

MRSA

Banned
I see Jerruh as trying to build a legacy, his legacy was the fact that the CBA destroyed his ability to throw money at players to win a Super Bowl.

Some say he's like Al Davis, yet Al had massive swag even in his zombie days.

squicken

lol

It just all hit me at once after seeing Polamalu get a new "loyalty" deal and reading this:

http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/3/5/5437204/2014-houston-texans-offseason-if-i-was-rick-smith

Cut ties. take the pain now and the chances are greater it will help in the long run.

The Foster deal just bit him in the ass. Schoob too, obviously. With Dre, idk, they sort of fleeced him on his first extension b/c he had his uncle representing him. I think for a guy like that, I have no problem paying b/c he always works hard and is still very productive

As far as Troy and Miller, I doubt there is much if at all more guaranteed money. But they both make way over what they would make as FAs. I guess I see a team that needs to start acquiring and developing younger players. Hanging on to aging vets just spends another year of Ben' career not moving toward contention again

MechDX

The Foster deal just bit him in the ass. Schoob too, obviously. With Dre, idk, they sort of fleeced him on his first extension b/c he had his uncle representing him. I think for a guy like that, I have no problem paying b/c he always works hard and is still very productive

As far as Troy and Miller, I doubt there is much if at all more guaranteed money. But they both make way over what they would make as FAs. I guess I see a team that needs to start acquiring and developing younger players. Hanging on to aging vets just spends another year of Ben' career not moving toward contention again

Dre is 33. Yes he is still productive and that is why you get something now while you still can. Odds of him getting seriously hurt are rising exponentially every year now. Schaub deal isn't really that bad when compared to other QB contracts. Lower guaranteed money and the out for the team isn't really that expensive.

Foster is a hindsight deal. Not bad at first but terrible now. And BTW, it was a damn "loyalty deal". he got paid for what he did making league minimum.

MRSA

Banned
Alright friends, what shall I have for lunch?

Indian
Shawarma
In N Out
Chinese foods
Or a salad from Trader Joe's

Decide

squicken

Dre is 33. Yes he is still productive and that is why you get something now while you still can. Odds of him getting seriously hurt are rising exponentially every year now. Schaub deal isn't really that bad when compared to other QB contracts. Lower guaranteed money and the out for the team isn't really that expensive.

Foster is a hindsight deal. Not bad at first but terrible now. And BTW, it was a damn "loyalty deal". he got paid for what he did making league minimum.

I think you keep Dre to give the young QB a reliable target. Look how heavily Luck relied on Wayne his first year? Arians said Luck was just locking on to him as a rookie. Now if trading Dre is part of a strategy to go get Hopkins or Evans then I can be down with that

MechDX

I think you keep Dre to give the young QB a reliable target. Look how heavily Luck relied on Wayne his first year? Arians said Luck was just locking on to him as a rookie. Now if trading Dre is part of a strategy to go get Hopkins or Evans then I can be down with that

The "woobie" strategy. :jnc

Of course you try to get another WR. Preferably a speedster who can compliment Hopkins possession abilities. I just think there are enough teams that are close who would get really excited about adding Dre.

looking specifically at NE

MRSA

Banned
Shawarma, there aren't any around my work so I'll eat vicariously through you.

You, kas, and I will go on a mission to find Fantomex and then we will proceed to eat delicious foods. I will bring the syzzzup, we will try to keep kas alive through this as well.

I would literally go in the order you put them, Indian being #1 and salad being last because salad sucks man!!

Indian is good in moderation, too much of it is bastardized though. Salad can be amazing, especially after eating like a caveman. Makes for a good food baby.

12 Jack in the Box tacos and a bottle of Mad Dog

I like your style, but I contrary to the avatar, I ain't jakncoke.

Don't Gata me pls

MRSA you know I wouldnt steer you wrong. Go to Jack in the Box and get the stacked cheeseburger munchie meal. It is so fucking good, best fast food burger ever. Plus you get 2 tacos and a mix of curly and regular fries.

MRSA

Banned
MRSA you know I wouldnt steer you wrong. Go to Jack in the Box and get the stacked cheeseburger munchie meal. It is so fucking good, best fast food burger ever. Plus you get 2 tacos and a mix of curly and regular fries.

You're a good friend, but they only serve that to drunks and stoned nobles after 9pm.

While I agree that the team is holding onto guys too long, Troy being one of them is no problem.

The team's biggest problem has been Larry Foote, the Buck ILB. There is ZERO depth behind him and when he got a season ending injury, it fucked the entire team. To the point where a 6th round rookie was calling the defense the first two downs, and Troy had to come down and play snaps at ILB on passing downs. The fact that he forced 5 fumbles and got 2 ints, and didn't miss a snap basically playing a position he's underweight by about 30 pounds at is amazing quite frankly, but not immediately noticeable to anyone who doesn't follow the team. I have absolutely zero problem with him getting an extension.

edit, also, it's a 2 year extension, not 3 year.

Jack in the Box burgers are fair, but they have the best fast food breakfast sandwiches for sure. They use a real egg!

You're a good friend, but they only serve that to drunks and stoned nobles after 9pm.

That is the secret that I am telling you since you are such a good person. They say on the sign only after 9pm but they will make them at any time day or night, you just have to ask.

MechDX

You, kas, and I will go on a mission to find Fantomex and then we will proceed to eat delicious foods. I will bring the syzzzup, we will try to keep kas alive through this as well.

Myself, Bread and Dutch are going to drive a 1960's convertible Cadillac with bull horns on the front around the south and eat chicken fried steak. Our groups should meet up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom