• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a drink. Taking recommendations.

torres-30-jaime-i-brandy.jpg

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Been busy, but just saw the Broncos released Champ.

Can't say that I am not that surprised, getting old and injured. He lost a step. Sucks to see him go, but thems the breaks. Saves a ton in cap space and they use that to upgrade on D.

squicken

More factoid than anything else, but Montana and Brady combined played in 6 games where their defenses gave up more than 40 points. That's over 400 starts. In 35 starts, Luck has himself played in 6 games where his team has allowed 40+ points

More factoid than anything else, but Montana and Brady combined played in 6 games where their defenses gave up more than 40 points. That's over 400 starts. In 35 starts, Luck has himself played in 6 games where his team has allowed 40+ points

So you're saying Brady sucks? Because that's what I read.

Talon

Grading offensive linemen
Really enjoyed this piece from Ross Tucker. Still think he's a pretty poor writer, but it's definitely information that is pretty opaque to viewers.

This bit of insight was nice
Teams, I believe, do a decent job of understanding how opponents can affect a lineman’s grade in a given week. But there’s a knowledge gap in assessing the different line positions over an entire season. You might recall, for instance, left guards getting huge contracts in 2007. Derrick Dockery and Eric Steinbach were solid players, but neither was worthy of the 7 year, $49 million deals they both inked. Yet they were highly sought after because they graded out so well when other teams did their own evaluations.

The reality is, most left guards should grade out higher than right guards.

Most teams are “right-handed,” meaning they often put the strength of the offensive formation to the right side rather than the left. As a result, most slide protections—a zone scheme in which three linemen block two defenders—go to the left, which is customarily the quarterback’s blindside. This means the right guard on most teams has a tougher job because he’s tasked with more one-on-one pass blocking assignments than the left guard. The stats bear this out: In the Pro Football Focus rankings of guards who played at least half of their team’s snaps last season, seven of the top 11 were left guards; 12 of the top 15 tackles also played on the left side.

Tom Penny

So I'm assuming Manning is like 50 games since all his playoff failures and regular season losses were on the D.

squicken

Doesn't sound like Alex Mack wants to be in Cleveland

“My time in Cleveland was interesting to say the least,” Mack told USA TODAY Sports. “It was never boring. But there is no guarantee anywhere you go. It’s not a given what happens in Cleveland now or for any other team.

“I like where my future is going. Mr. Haslam, he’s a really good owner. I got a really good feeling about him. He’s a direct person who knows what he wants to do. There’s something to be said of that. It’s now a clean slate.”

The Browns met with Mack over the weekend. Along with Haslam, Farmer and Pettine, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and offensive line coach Andy Moeller were in attendance.

“That was a cool meeting,” Mack said. “I got to sit down with the new offensive coordinator and line coach. They discussed their scheme, where we’re going and the plans for offense. That went really well. I think they liked what they heard from me or they wouldn’t have tagged me. It was fun to talk to them. Now, we just go from there. It’s nice to possibly play in a system that fits your skill set and sets you up for success. That’s what I got from that meeting.”

---

If Mack is looking to relocate to anywhere other than Cleveland, it may be closer to his home in Santa Barbara. Mack grew up a Raiders’ fan.

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/03/06/cleveland-browns-alex-mack-is-ready-to-test-free-agency/

squicken

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
David Carr's ideal situation is signing with #NFL team that drafts younger brother, Derek, and backing him up. Both are comfortable with it.

Texans. Time is a flat circle

ShaneB

He should have actually filed that article and seen if any other sites reported it as news. I'm sure at least a few would have.

A story like that makes some sense in Free Agent Frenzy, but yeah, it was just the comical nature of a non-news story like that.

squicken

The guy who wrote that article posts on the OBR a lot. He said Mack would never have signed again for the old FO, but likes the new one and would consider it. Although he did like both Norv and Chud.

He was vocal after Chud got fired. If he leaves, I hope he goes to Indy. But they can match anything so I doubt he gets many offers

Does he say why Mack was at odds with Banner and Lombardi?

Wes

venison crêpe
Does he say why Mack was at odds with Banner and Lombardi?

Only bit relevant to that:

Article Writer said:
Mack would never have re-signed with the previous regime. A quote I didn't use discussed how hard it was this past season to keep on a good note with everyone because his future was on the line and they really weren't talking any hard numbers with him.

That all changed this past weekend, when the Browns pulled out all the stops. That made him feel really good about the new situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom