• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

The Rams' presumptive starting five from the beginning of the year played just 295 of the team's 968 snaps together last season, checking in just above 30 percent. Only three other units around the league spent less time together on the field.

The thing about the missed time is that it was expected. The Rams entered the year with a veteran but injury-prone group and it lived up to that billing. That's what makes the offensive line the team's top priority heading into the offseason. They need to get younger and more talented so they can finally have a group that sticks together awhile without having some sort of major makeover every offseason.

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/6527/rams-free-agent-preview-offensive-line

Ideally they draft 3 starters on the OL

BiFSbqfCMAAru_w.png:large

lol god damn

squicken

I know that feeling very well, my friend. It's a shame Jake hasn't worked out too well for the Rams.

He "only" missed two games, and is still a good run blocker. He can't block elite rusher edge rushers, but that's not terrible for what he is paid. I didn't like the signing b/c he's just never going to be reliably healthy. It's hard to go into a year knowing that the LT will probably miss 2-6 games

rando14

Good thing we didn't pay for him too

Edit:
Also Happy Friday everyone! (Yes even you Gata)

VdFgvkD.jpg

Happy friday man!! Well at least I hope it is, I gotta go in to work early and I'll probably have to leave late, this sucks!! I thought I lived in the land of the free and the home of the brave

Happy friday man!! Well at least I hope it is, I gotta go in to work early and I'll probably have to leave late, this sucks!! I thought I lived in the land of the free and the home of the brave

Yeah I work late too but I'm getting a free lunch and going out with my co-worker after so yeah...happy friday! lol

My phone finally got the kit kat upgrade last night...deleted a bunch of my apps :/

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Good thing we didn't pay for him too

Edit:
Also Happy Friday everyone! (Yes even you Gata)

VdFgvkD.jpg

Are the Dolphins cheerleaders the only ones with large chests?

Seems like most of the other cheerleaders don't have those.

Just as a general sidenote, it's weird how NFL cheerleaders and the college cheerleaders are often the same age but the college ones look 10x better (it's the only thing college football does better besides OT rules). They don't look like weird plastic Barbie dolls. Still good looking though obviously

Just as a general sidenote, it's weird how NFL cheerleaders and the college cheerleaders are often the same age but the college ones look 10x better (it's the only thing college football does better besides OT rules). They don't look like weird plastic Barbie dolls. Still good looking though obviously

Well being in Miami they seem to dress more revealing so maybe that's why their more noticeable, as for your other point I just assume that the NFL cheerleaders have had work done since they also tend to be models/actress etc, but yeah they still look good.

Edit: OMG Chili cheese burrito!

gutshot

A nice breakdown of Dion Jordan's rookie season, in two parts:

http://chipwagon.typepad.com/eagles/2014/03/dissecting-dion-jordans-2013-season.html

http://chipwagon.typepad.com/eagles...ns-2013-season-part-2-outside-linebacker.html

I really, really want this cat, but after reading this I'm thinking there is no way the Dolphins trade him. His skill set is so unique that even if he never becomes a beast of a pass rusher, he could still be one of the most valuable players on a defense.

Fins would have to be insane to trade him. I wanted him so bad last year.

Fins would have to be insane to trade him. I wanted him so bad last year.
Armando posted this on his blog last week:

Let's clear things up:

The Dolphins have begun shopping defensive end Dion Jordan to gauge his trade value, CBSSports.com reported today.

That's false, a Dolphins source just told me.

The Dolphins are open to trading receiver Mike Wallace and are gauging interest in him around the league, CBSSports.com reported today.

That's false, the same Dolphins source just told me.

The Dolphins are open to trading Cameron Wake, CBSSports.com reported today.

That's false, the same Dolphins source just told me.

So what we have here is an issue of credibility and integrity. Do you believe CBSSports.com? Or do you believe the Miami Dolphins?

I know my source.

I'm going with the Dolphins.
Pretty trustworthy source when it comes to Dolphins news. Now go poach some other team's talent! ;)

A nice breakdown of Dion Jordan's rookie season, in two parts:

http://chipwagon.typepad.com/eagles/2014/03/dissecting-dion-jordans-2013-season.html

http://chipwagon.typepad.com/eagles...ns-2013-season-part-2-outside-linebacker.html

I really, really want this cat, but after reading this I'm thinking there is no way the Dolphins trade him. His skill set is so unique that even if he never becomes a beast of a pass rusher, he could still be one of the most valuable players on a defense.

Brilliant read and only confirms what I saw last year, he makes plays when he's on the field even if the stats don't show it. Thinking he can be replaced by Vernon is just stupid, Having him and Wake should be a nightmare for olines and QBs, the dolphins would be beyond stupid to trade him, which is why I wouldn't be surprised if they did :/

Brilliant read and only confirms what I saw last year, he makes plays when he's on the field even if the stats don't show it. Thinking he can be replaced by Vernon is just stupid, Having him and Wake should be a nightmare for olines and QBs, the dolphins would be beyond stupid to trade him, which is why I wouldn't be surprised if they did :/
Why do you doubt the Hickey, my friend?

bedard-hickey.jpg

"Guys. Guys. I've got this."

Armando posted this on his blog last week:

Pretty trustworthy source when it comes to Dolphins news. Now go poach some other team's talent! ;)

Mike Florio told me if this source doesn't put his name on it then the rumor is true!

THIS JUST IN! BREAKING NEWS! The 49ers and Dolphins are in discussions on a trade that would send Jim Harbaugh to Miami for Dion Jordan..... SOURCES SAY!!!!!

Mike Florio told me if this source doesn't put his name on it then the rumor is true!

THIS JUST IN! BREAKING NEWS! The 49ers and Dolphins are in discussions on a trade that would send Jim Harbaugh to Miami for Dion Jordan..... SOURCES SAY!!!!!
OH MY GOODNESS THIS IS UNPRECEDENTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you're right, I'm tired of all the misery and despair :(
I'm not, but it's the offseason so let's just go with it.

By who? I think he will either take a one year prove it deal, or a multiyear low salary high incentives deal. Anyone that gives him big money is stupid.

He isn't taking a one year prove it deal. He might as well stay with the Giants if that was the case and that's not going to happen.

Your second scenario is likelier but some team will pay for his services based on past performances and thinking they can still get that out of him. The whole "change of scenery" thing, etc. It would ignore the injury history though which is the bigger problem.

He isn't getting Mike Wallace money but he'll get a pay day out of someone, IMO.

MechDX

Tania Ganguli at ESPN has being doing a "10 interceptions that defined the 2013 Texans" piece.

Here is #1

The Texans led the Seattle Seahawks by 17 points on their way to what at halftime looked like what was finally supposed to happen that season. Houston would win, they'd finally show that they were the juggernaut everyone expected in the preseason. They'd erase the wobbly feeling of two come-from-behind wins, dispel the sour taste of their first loss and march toward what was surely their destiny.

And then, halftime.

Ben Tate fumbled and the Seahawks kicked a field goal. The Texans didn't score in the second half, but the Seahawks used the kind of balance that made them Super Bowl champions to score their first touchdown of the game.

With 5:13 left in the game, up seven points, the Texans ran Arian Foster four times, eating 2:22. But then, a pass.

And then, disaster.

Sherman expected Matt Schaub's pass to tight end Owen Daniels, he'd practiced the very same play earlier that week and picked it off then, too. He returned the interception 58 yards for the game-tying touchdown.

Overtime had its own theatrics, but the impact of Sherman's pick six reverberated throughout the season. Both teams' destinies set into motion that afternoon at Reliant Stadium. They left that game both 2-2, with vastly different futures.

While the Seahawks gained confidence that day, the cracks in Schaub's confidence appeared and an unexpected spiral began.

Nicholas-Cage-Tries-Not-To-Laugh.gif

By who? I think he will either take a one year prove it deal, or a multiyear low salary high incentives deal. Anyone that gives him big money is stupid.

Gettleman has shown that he's a very pragmatic GM to this point and I don't think he would give in to emotion, but he has a history with Nicks and he has Panthers Nation calling for them to bring back the hometown kid.

If we're overpaying for receivers with injury history though, I'd much rather look at Sidney Rice. Same age, also from the area, didn't mail it in in a contract year.

Tamanon

Banned

I think it's because college cheerleaders are more fit. They're not dancers like the NFL ones are, they still do stunts and stuff.

The Giants will lose their exclusive negotiating rights with the following on Saturday as they are scheduled to be free agents on the 11th:

G Kevin Boothe
RB Andre Brown
K Josh Brown
S Stevie Brown
C Jim Cordle
RB Peyton Hillis
FB Henry Hynoski
DT Linval Joseph
CB Trumaine McBride
S Ryan Mundy
WR Louis Murphy
TE Brandon Myers
WR Hakeem Nicks
QB Curtis Painter
TE Bear Pascoe
DT Mike Patterson
LB Keith Rivers
DT Shaun Rogers
CB Aaron Ross
RB Da’Rel Scott
CB Terrell Thomas
DE Justin Tuck
CB Corey Webster

Cordle and Hynoski were RFA's but will not be tendered so they become UFA's.

Jon Beason is also schedule to be a UFA but he's representing himself and therefore cannot talk to other teams until the 11th. Beason has been reported as the top FA that the Giants are working to resign.

I think Andre Brown and Stevie Brown will end up getting resigned at near minimum contracts. Stevie is coming off of an ACL but he was playing his ass off prior to the injury and he's the perfect safety for Fewell's system. We simply have nothing else at RB and Brown is insurance. The injury history and fumble problems though will kill any multi-year deal. I think McBride will also end up being resigned.

DAT roster turnover. 26 FA's that contributed last year in some way, shape or form. The 2014 Giants are going to be a very, very different group. Actually excited about that. It'll be good to shed a bulk of the old guard and restock what has become an aging roster.

rando14

lol did you see the "rumor" that the niners and hawks are in a bidding war for michael bennett?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/49ers-could-make-a-run-at-michael-bennett/

Your boy Florio is outta control man!!

bionic77

I miss when the Steelers were relevant and Florio made up stories about us. :(

Enjoy it while you can FMT! The good times don't last forever.

squicken

The 10 Teams That Should Dominate Free Agency

What’s happening here, I suspect, is that the Raiders are paying a loser’s tax. They’re a putrid team playing in a decaying stadium in a division with Peyton Manning. Would you want to spend your prime with them? With that in mind, the demands from the agents of Veldheer and Houston are sufficiently large as to make signing these young players a dangerous proposition. Houston’s a good player, as Robert Mays broke down earlier this week, but is he really worth, say, $12 million a year? That type of outsize pricing is the mistake Marty Hurney made when he gave Charles Johnson a six-year, $76 million deal. When bad teams let their young players get to the end of their deals, you have little leverage and a lot to lose. That’s what has happened to McKenzie here.

Garcon and VJAX used the Rams as leverage to get better money with WAS and TB. I imagine every agent will tell other teams the Raiders are after their guy and are willing to overpay

In hindsight, though, given the awful Finnegan and Cook contracts, the Rams would have been better off paying VJAX whatever he wanted

MechDX

The 10 Teams That Should Dominate Free Agency

Garcon and VJAX used the Rams as leverage to get better money with WAS and TB. I imagine every agent will tell other teams the Raiders are after their guy and are willing to overpay

In hindsight, though, given the awful Finnegan and Cook contracts, the Rams would have been better off paying VJAX whatever he wanted

I though about this last night and the Raiders are in a very odd position. All that cap room and how much they have to spend. A storied long time franchise with zero recent success, the worst facilities in ALL of pro sports and a coach/GM combo who could be gone next year. They will be forced to overpay a lot, IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom