• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker

Giants in on Andrew Quarless along with 6 other teams.
You know I might be okay with that if there's somebody else brought in. Then Donnel and Robinson can battle it out. This team's TE situation, along with its problems at the OL and RB, have got to be the worst in the league.

Speaking of the OL, I am terrified that they will keep both David Baas and Chris Snee for another year. For fuck's sake, end the charade. If you must keep Snee, whatever, do it for another year but reduce his cap to $1M or whatever it may be. Cut Baas because his contract is ridiculous for guy who is hurt as often as he is. The way they have these old, injured OL setup with these deals is damaging the chances of signing a decent CB or DT. They still need to resign Beason, or a decent MLB for that matter. So many holes on this team.

eznark

Banned
Gods+Gift+Tattoo.jpg

This window of time before FA opens up is always so full of crazy rumors and misinformation. The Dolphins are apparently showing "real interest" in Jairus Byrd? I don't think they can afford a move like that, the money would clearly be better spent on other major areas of concern.

That said, Byrd and Jones would be a nasty duo.

MechDX

I have both. I wouldn't recommend an xbone until they fix Xbl. It truly is a piece of shit right now as is the entire user interface of the system. KI and dead rising are great. Ryse is the shittiest next gen game that I've played between the two systems.

Use that money to build a top notch gaming PC or go with ps4

One of my motivations for an Xbone is for you to kick my ass in KI.

MechDX

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-has-some-visits-lined-up-this-week/#comments

But Texans defensive end Antonio Smith apparently has some real, tangible plane tickets lined up.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Smith has a pair of visits scheduled this week, among the four teams showing interest.

Goodbye ninja.
antonio.gif

I hope where ever you go you get to end the feud with incognito!

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli · 41s
RT @ESPNChiBears: 4 teams represent organizations that have expressed real interest in McCown believed to be #Bears, #Jets, #Bucs & #Texans.

Now convinced that whatever QB is mentioned the Texans automatically get included in the "interested" list

Wes

venison crêpe
@JamesWalkerNFL

Filed to ESPN: Free-agent S Jairus Byrd is seeking a long-term contract in the range of $9 million per season, according to a source.

Pay him Farmer!

I have both. I wouldn't recommend an xbone until they fix Xbl. It truly is a piece of shit right now as is the entire user interface of the system. KI and dead rising are great. Ryse is the shittiest next gen game that I've played between the two systems.

Use that money to build a top notch gaming PC or go with ps4

No idea what you mean by this? XBL works great, no lag/never getting dropped from games, it actually works much better on XB1 then it did on 360. If what you meant was the friends/party system then they did patch it in the lastest update and it works great now. When you are in a game like Tf or PvZ you just press a button and it brings up your friends list, you just check the people you want to invite and it gives you 3 choices, party, game, or party and game.

KingGondo

Banned
@JamesWalkerNFL

Filed to ESPN: Free-agent S Jairus Byrd is seeking a long-term contract in the range of $9 million per season, according to a source.

Pay him Farmer!
Yep. We can afford him and he has the Pettine connection.

The problem is that other (better) teams can afford him too.

eznark

Banned
@JamesWalkerNFL

Pay him Farmer!

I don't think you want that contract in three years when the Browns are legit ready to contend and his backloaded deal is weighing you down.

lol at Browns ever being ready to contend.

eznark

Banned
I dreamed a dream...

Free agency has a legit role, but it's not to build a team. Guys are too fragile and careers too short to do it that way. What's the last team that was truly build around free agents? They need to be the icing, not the cake. Even the teams that are super active in free agency/trades like Seattle are still mostly home grown guys. Until you have a solid core you should't spend money.

Of course, I think you pretty much should never spend money so what do I know.

And yeah Bionic. Tested has sucked for like two years. I haven't listened regularly for a year and haven't listened at all for like 6 months.

Chromecast is awesome though. Except it's fucked for me right now.

Free agency has a legit role, but it's not to build a team. Guys are too fragile and careers too short to do it that way. What's the last team that was truly build around free agents? They need to be the icing, not the cake. Even the teams that are super active in free agency/trades like Seattle are still mostly home grown guys. Until you have a solid core you should't spend money.

Of course, I think you pretty much should never spend money so what do I know.

And yeah Bionic. Tested has sucked for like two years. I haven't listened regularly for a year and haven't listened at all for like 6 months.

Chromecast is awesome though. Except it's fucked for me right now.
The problem is when you are a sucky franchise like Miami FO guys are always worried about losing their job so they have to go big multiple years in a row. It happened last season with Ireland and it's going to happen again this season with Philbin. Philbin can't afford to have a building year, he's got to get it done now. If he fails they'll clean house and the new FO will try to do things "right" for a year or two until they see it isn't working and then repeat the process of overspending on free agents.

It's a vicious cycle of suck.

eznark

Banned
The problem is when you are a sucky franchise like Miami FO guys are always worried about losing their job so they have to go big multiple years in a row. It happened last season with Ireland and it's going to happen again this season with Philbin. Philbin can't afford to have a building year, he's got to get it done now. If he fails they'll clean house and the new FO will try to do things "right" for a year or two until they see it isn't working and then repeat the process of overspending on free agents.

It's a vicious cycle of suck.

Don't give coaches personnel decisions. (Input yes, decisions no).

You're a huge nerd, is The Way of Kings worth reading?

Wes

venison crêpe
I get your point ez. Most of what I've tried to learn the last couple of weeks (and what I seemingly do every spring now) on the strategy entering free agency is that you should try to fill all the needs on your team without overspending when compared to other players of comparable skill at the same position elsewhere in the league.

That means when you enter the draft you can just take the best person available. This will strengthen your team in the long run.

Of course that's painting an ideal picture and nothing is that perfect.

As for Byrd in particular I like it, even if it means somewhat overspending, because we've lost one leader on the team in Jackson this month and Byrd, who knows Pettine's system, would be a worthy substitute.

From the tidbits of information on other free agents I've read on various sites (as that's pretty much the only data I have to go on) I'd hope the Browns get an ILB, CB and WR too during this FA period. Namely Vincent Rey of the Bengals ( weakening a division opponent is always a good thing, right?), Edelman or Tate as the WR and a cheap CB2 across from Haden.

Don't give coaches personnel decisions. (Input yes, decisions no).

You're a huge nerd, is The Way of Kings worth reading?

I didn't finish it, but what I read of it was pretty generic paint by numbers fantasy. I don't like Sanderson's writing though, feels too sterile to me.

Wes

venison crêpe
Reading MMQB, have most North Americans never heard of the phase "things have gone pear shaped?"

I'd never considered it was a purely British phrase.

eznark

Banned
Everytime I see you guys talking The Way of Kings, I think you're talking about The Way of the Kings by Andre Malraux.

This is the first time I ever talked about it. It popped up as a recommended book for me in Audible on Saturday and since I am traveling this week and just finished two non-fiction books I needed some fiction. No idea what the fuck it is but it looked like some dumb bullshit that Dragon would spank to.

Naturally I bought it on the spot.

Dragon

Banned
This is the first time I ever talked about it. It popped up as a recommended book for me in Audible on Saturday and since I am traveling this week and just finished two non-fiction books I needed some fiction. No idea what the fuck it is but it looked like some dumb bullshit that Dragon would spank to.

Naturally I bought it on the spot.

Haven't really gotten into the book series. I really enjoyed Elantris but Sanderson's writing style seems very distant, his conversation style poor, and his characterizations boring. He writes good magic systems and that can largely carry people through otherwise banal books.

Sanderson is prolific though I'll give him that, he writes a ton of stuff.

Oh I could think of one team :/

It should be the fucking Eagles, $9m is nothing for a player like that who can singlehandedly change their defense. But no safeties are not allowed to be picked in the first round, or paid real money. So instead they will get some discount garbage that is barely an upgrade over Chung and allen and then they will wonder why the defense losses them another playoff game next year.

squicken

Reading MMQB, have most North Americans never heard of the phase "things have gone pear shaped?"

I'd never considered it was a purely British phrase.

I never knew it was a British phrase, either. Can't say it is a common idiom, but I hear/read it every once in awhile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom