• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on my phone, but if I was at my computer I would post some wrestling gif of some dude getting hit with chairs or kicked in the balls or SOMETHING right now!

like this?

katie-vick-o.gif

Bread

Banned
Even with a SB loss, I enjoyed kicking the shit out of your busted squad. Be thankful we saved Brady from being raped again on the big stage.
At least Tom would have looked good throwing ducks into the hands of waiting defensive backs!

LJ11

Hatcher is gone. This was his last season, and the Cowboys cannot afford to sign him again. I doubt Ware will be back as well, he counts too much against the cap and does not seem willing to take a paycut. Unless the Cowboys want to restructure against future, which they have not really done with Garrett at the helm, but anything is possible with Jerry.

I think Donald would be the perfect 3 tech. He has the size and build of Sapp. Donald is half an inch shorter than Sapp, and Sapp entered the NFL at 285 (Donald's current weight). Marinelli speaks about get off more than size anyway. For Tuitt, I remember early in the off season Marinelli and Kiffin talking about having Hatcher at the 1 and Hatcher is like 6'7 (Ratliff's injury forced Hatcher to the 3). One thing Garrett also likes is versatility. Being able to plug a player into many different positions. I think that is a big plus for Tuitt. I just hope he is there in the second round.

I've watched a lot of Tuitt, I think his game is kind of like a Brandon Mebane/Red Bryant hybrid, he wasn't strictly a 5-tech DE at ND. Just not sure if he has the quickness and strength to hold up against doubles. I do like him, but he's a bit of an enigma because of how big he grew. He's a guy that some coaches will misuse and others won't, not sure if that makes any sense, but it's just how I feel. Could see him going to a team and bombing, strictly because the coaching staff asks him to do something that he isn't comfortable with.

Thought you guys would hold on to Hatcher, hard to find interior guys like that.
LJ, what do you expect from the Eagles offense next season? Do you think Foles is a special QB or is he going to regress?

Also, yeah, the Seahawks are a real force. Their secondary play is unmatched. They broke up Manning's screen plays with ease. They were also able to get consistent pressure on the Broncos even if they weren't sacking Manning. There was little time for Manning, and the time that he did have was only enough to throw to receivers that were tightly covered.

The running game was non-existent. The Seahawks played an all-around fantastic defensive game.

WR and DE/OLB, add some pieces in the secondary. Not sold on Foles, never know though. Would be nice to see what Kelly's O could do with a really good QB. Thought you guys had a nice season after you hit that rough patch. Focus on that D.

If I'm a D-Coordinator, I'm sitting down the next couple of weeks and just cutting the Seahawks D up and playing it for the guys when I get to camp. The way that DL flowed to the ball on screens, it was fucking awesome. Manning was dialing the right plays, he had the numbers for the screens to work, but the Hawks were running to the exact place they had to be. Even when they were out leveraged, coaches had them ready to defend the screen, lots of prep and good teaching.

You wish you traded Cordarelle Patterson for Percy Harvin?

I don't think people realize how dynamic Patterson is with the ball in his hand, it's the best part of his game. And I know I sound crazy, but it doesn't even look like he's running all that fast, so smooth it's effortless. Give him some time to polish the rest of his game and that trade will look a lot different.

It's actually cool to see the city of Seattle get sports championship victory of any kind. IIRC they've never had any unless the Sonics won one back in the day. Seattle has some hardcore fans, and I know they were gutted when the NBA let the SuperSonics leave for ridiculous reasons.

The Seahawk almost left to Los Angeles a few years back as well. What Paul Allen did to help turn the franchise around, and keep the franchise in Seattle, is amazing.

Ths Sonics won before

Hell yeah, Seahawks to re-sign Michael Bennett!

Only a high ankle sprain for Sherman too, so it's good that it's nothing too serious. This Seahawks team will be ready and healthy for next season. Can't wait.

KaYotiX

Banned
Does Seattle really need Wilson? With that D and run game they could just toss out anyone and still win.

Next year Green Bay to stay healthy and take it all on the legs of Lacy!!!!! Oh and that Rodgers guy is ok also.

Does Seattle really need Wilson? With that D and run game they could just toss out anyone and still win.

Next year Green Bay to stay healthy and take it all on the legs of Lacy!!!!! Oh and that Rodgers guy is ok also.

He's a game manager that doesn't turn the ball over, and is quite mobile. I'd keep him on the team, just give him a respectable contract that isn't too much like Flacco's (lol).

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Hell yeah, Seahawks to re-sign Michael Bennett!

Only a high ankle sprain for Sherman too, so it's good that it's nothing too serious. This Seahawks team will be ready and healthy for next season. Can't wait.

I asked earlier about the Seahawks cap situation, but the Seahawks will not be the same team when they give Russell his contract from 600k a year to about $20 Million a year this offseason. Do you think they'll be able to afford Wilson, Sherman, Marshawn Lynch, Earl Thomas III, Harvin, Okung etc? No, the NFL has a salary cap in place.

Maybe they can franchise tag a guy, but Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas themselves will demand, and get more money, than Darrell Revis did.

This isn't the NBA, dude. You have about three-four players you can throw big money to, and the rest of the team is built through the draft and nice pickups in free agency.

The Seahawks struck gold with getting Wilson in the third round but he is going to get his money this offseason, and cuts will have to be made throughout the team if they want to keep him.

He's a game manager that doesn't turn the ball over, and is quite mobile. I'd keep him on the team, just give him a respectable contract that isn't too much like Flacco's (lol).

Because he won a SB he will get close to Flacco money. The rest of the team will suffer.

Seahawks don't have to give Russel Wilson an extension this offseason. In fact, I may be wrong (this may have only applied to last season) but I think NFL rules might even prohibit them from giving him an extension.

Go Blue Jays. :p not that big a Baseball fan to care about a 162 game regular season.I'll have it on the background, but not much for discussing the ins and outs of the season.

The Hockey season will keep me entertained for the next while, and I suppose not long after that the CFL season starts in July, so that would be my Football fix.

No need to wait until july for football! Champions League playoffs start now and go on until may.

The Seahawks front office isn't as dumb as the Ravens and won't give Russell that Flacco money. If I'm wrong about this, then joke's on me.

Also, what should be the 2014 season opener?

Broncos @ Seahawks
Seahawks @ 49ers
Packers @ Seahawks

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Seahawks don't have to give Russel Wilson an extension this offseason. In fact, I may be wrong (this may have only applied to last season) but I think NFL rules might even prohibit them from giving him an extension.

I heard something about this as well, sure they don't HAVE to give Wilson an extension, but it would be extremely disrespectful if they didn't.

They can still keep him on his rookie contract for one more year, but after what he's done for the franchise the past two years, it would look very bad on the organization if they did not give him a contract extension off of his rookie contract.

The Seahawks front office isn't as dumb as the Ravens and won't give Russell that Flacco money. If I'm wrong about this, then joke's on me.

He may not get Flacco money but he will get $90-$120 Million contract. I think Wilson is a great guy, and a hell of a player, but IMO he isn't the type of guy who will go out and win you games. If you put him on the Jaguars or Raiders he doesn't put up the numbers or win the games he has. He had a hell of a team around him.

Now that he is officially a Super Bowl winning QB, the Seahawks almost have to give him a massive contract extension or it makes the whole organization look bad and cheap.

And once he gets that contract extension it will trickle down to the rest of the team.

Regardless of all the contract talk right now, Russell Wilson and the Seahawks are Superbowl champions. Who cares what happens during the offseason for right now, just enjoy the championship.

I heard something about this as well, sure they don't HAVE to give Wilson an extension, but it would be extremely disrespectful if they didn't.

They can still keep him on his rookie contract for one more year, but after what he's done for the franchise the past two years, it would look very bad on the organization if they did not give him a contract extension off of his rookie contract..

They aren't allowed to. They cannot renegotiate a contract with a guy until 3 years into his rookie deal. It's in the new CBA.

And I don't think it's a given he will have to get a monster $120 million extension.

jWILL253

Banned
He may not get Flacco money but he will get $90-$120 Million contract. I think Wilson is a great guy, and a hell of a player, but IMO he isn't the type of guy who will go out and win you games. If you put him on the Jaguars or Raiders he doesn't put up the numbers or win the games he has. He had a hell of a team around him.

He was responsible for 2 of the 3 offensive touchdowns tonight, on a night when Lynch was bottled up, and Manning, a "true" franchise QB, shat the bed.

What more does he have to do? Put up 380 yard games in losing efforts?

Seahawks should cut Sidney Rice, IMO. Should free up some cap space and give the more deserving guys like Baldwin and Kearse good contracts. I can see them letting Tate walk - teams will be after him for sure on the offseason.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
They aren't allowed to. They cannot renegotiate a contract with a guy until 3 years into his rookie deal. It's in the new CBA.

And I don't think it's a given he will have to get a monster $120 million extension.

Interesting, did not know that. If that is indeed the case, then the Seahawks will make another run next year. I'm about to go to sleep, but I'd also like to know the contract situation on Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman.

While Wilson may not get that ridiculous Flacco money, he is still a Super Bowl winning QB so he will get something north of $90 Million contract.

I tripped out when I found out Sherman went to Dominguez High School in Compton. I lived in Downey for awhile and dated a girl who went to Dominguez, who was a Colts fan. She was a few grades younger than Sherman so I doubt she knew him.

Seahawks should cut Sidney Rice, IMO. Should free up some cap space and give the more deserving guys like Baldwin and Kearse good contracts. I can see them letting Tate walk - teams will be after him for sure on the offseason.

Obviously we're gonna cut Rice and probably Miller too. I'm ok with letting Tate walk if it lets us keep our defense together. Clemons might get cut which I'm ok with too if it lets us keep Avril and resign Bennett.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, Seattle doesn't face any hard choices this offseason. After next year? Sure.

Also, please know the CBA groundrules before talking cap.

Some reading on our situation:
http://www.hawkblogger.com/p/5.html (Needs an update but current as of early this season)
http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-...table-for-the-seahawks-2014-roster-salary-cap
http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-...ecting-the-seahawks-defensive-salary-cap-2014
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2014/1/6/5281118/seahawks-offensive-salary-cap-2014

Blackhead

Redarse
As the cliche goes, the best defense wins championships. Wilson is good — two TDs yesterday proves without a doubt — but he wasn't the Super Bowl MVP (despite two TDs lol). If it's a choice between a Wilson huge deal and keeping the legion of boom, I say go with the defence every time. Wilson can get his huge deal elsewhere and Seattle set up a reputation as a a finishing school for young QBs (or even attract a veteran QB looking for a ring, as in the NBA, which we don't see to often in the NFL). Give Tebow a contract lol.

On the flip side, while defense wins championships, you never know if that defense will actually be healthy in the playoffs. QBs are taken better care off and less likely to be injured.

I really wish I would be allowed to cut Gregory.
That would be the highlight of my life.

Chancellor is a young Adrian Wilson. Who's still a Patriot! He probably been eating fetuses and stuff so he will play like he's 20 again next season. #Believe

Also, the greatest TAINT gif ever.

thiefpuppy.gif

Edit: Maybe it's more of an FR for a TD.

jakncoke

Banned
Interesting Ike talked to Carnell Lake and Rod Woodson about what it'd take to move to Safety. Regardless of if he moves to safety or not, we're going to need him to take a pay cut.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Wilson doesn't have Aaron Rodgers' or Luck's talent - no two ways about it.

Seattle won because they had a $18 million advantage at QB, using that advantage to bolster depth, and did a phenomenal job at filling the 2nd and 3rd levels of the defense with late picks. It was a team win. I'm tired of this "QB carried the team" horseshit. It's a team game, and that was a team defense that absolutely beat Denver senseless.
Hi, nice that you started watching the playoffs this year! Not that I blame you for not watching our games earlier on this season. Nobody else did either!

We also filled our 1st level of the defense with late picks as well, except for Thomas of course.

Hi, nice that you started watching the playoffs this year!

Not that I blame you for not watching our games earlier on this season. Nobody else did either!

shermanpuppy_medium.gif

Sherman his puppy counterpart.

The person who thought it was a great idea to have puppies play a football game deserves a Nobel price.

As someone who couldn't care less for both teams, all I can say is that I'm glad that I didn't stay up for the super bowl. But at least the national chapionship game was great.

And even better: Two weeks until pitchers and catchers report!

edit: Sorry, thought this was the Super Bowl OT.

jakncoke

Banned
No, I'm serious. I have no idea. :(

Edit: 2009? That passes for a vet these days?

Well ok. But he definitely a AA utility man!

As someone who couldn't care less for both teams, all I can say is that I'm glad that I didn't stay up for the super bowl. But at least the national chapionship game was great.

And even better: Two weeks until pitchers and catchers report!

What baseball team do you lifelong

Tamanon

Banned
I crashed right as the score went final since I had been sick with food poisoning all day(stupid Chinese restaurant Saturday). So I didn't get to eat any real food during the Super Bowl.

Wilson got the MVP? I'm a bit surprised, but I guess Chancellor didn't have flashy enough numbers to get the nod. The defense was ferocious, but also worked as a team, so it's tough to pin it on one guy.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I crashed right as the score went final since I had been sick with food poisoning all day(stupid Chinese restaurant Saturday). So I didn't get to eat any real food during the Super Bowl.

Wilson got the MVP? I'm a bit surprised, but I guess Chancellor didn't have flashy enough numbers to get the nod. The defense was ferocious, but also worked as a team, so it's tough to pin it on one guy.
Nah, Malcolm Smith got it for the pick 6 and recovering the fumble he forced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom