• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm being hyperbolic

but was that the best defensive performance we've ever seen in the game of football last night

especially when you take into account this era and how difficult it is for defensive backs

So how good was Denver really?

good enough to shit on basically anybody besides the niners and seahawks

And I think in hindsight Kaepernick deserves so much more credit. NFLgaf shits on him at every opportunity but he handled the pressure of that Seahawks defense a lot better than "pocket quarterback fantastic progression reader" Pey pey.

You may have close to no chance against that Seahawks defense without a mobile QB.

but was that the best defensive performance we've ever seen in the game of football last night

especially when you take into account this era and how difficult it is for defensive backs
Hard to argue, honestly. From top to bottom Seattle's D dominated and there wasn't a single position that looked to be a weakness. Extremely impressive.

And I think in hindsight Kaepernick deserves so much more credit. NFLgaf shits on him at every opportunity but he handled the pressure of that Seahawks defense a lot better than "pocket quarterback fantastic progression reader" Pey pey.
Thing with Peyton is much like Brady he will suck if you can pressure him with 3 or 4 man rushes. It never really happens but when it does they are very ineffective. Brady against the Giants in '08 is another easy example of this.

MechDX

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein 1h
With Seattle winning, go ahead and move all of the speed guys in this year’s draft up about 20 draft slots.

Such a reactionary league. he is right.

Twitter blowing up after the game screaming "Defense wins championships! Draft Clowney!"

It was good but damn. Wasn't the "best"

Twitter blowing up after the game screaming "Defense wins championships! Draft Clowney!"

I wonder about this, cause like people are saying that now, but the draft is pushed back so the hype is gonna drop a bit by the time we get to draft day, people are gonna be screaming for Bridgewater, or Johnny Football to go tops. (leaving CLowney for the Raiders)

eznark

Banned

Howie Long (and squicken) declared last night the end of the quarterback driven league.

Hopefully the Packers trade Fraudgers for Eric Reid.

Tom Penny

Elway is having nightmare flashbacks about SB's

As QB 55-10 as kicking to SF
As GM 43-8 ass kicking to SEA

As far as defensive performances since all the DB rule changes that is probably the best game considering the stage.

MechDX

Howie Long (and squicken) declared last night the end of the quarterback driven league.

Hopefully the Packers trade Fraudgers for Eric Reid.

Scoring points is over rated. Just draft a QB in the third round, it worked for Seattle.

SMH

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So as of now barring someone trading into the #2 spot the Browns should hopefully be getting one of Bridgewater/Bortles/Manziel for their first pick.

Cool.

eznark

Banned
The Seahawks could have punted on first down the entire game and still won with ease. I don't want to take anything away from Russell but they didn't ask much of him.

But when they did need him he was on fucking point. He had three touchdown throws (it took a sick play from the Pokemaster to break up that first TD pass) and converted 7/12 third downs. Guy played a hell of a game.

MechDX

DamagedCloudyAfricanharrierhawk.gif

JABEE

I've watched a lot of Tuitt, I think his game is kind of like a Brandon Mebane/Red Bryant hybrid, he wasn't strictly a 5-tech DE at ND. Just not sure if he has the quickness and strength to hold up against doubles. I do like him, but he's a bit of an enigma because of how big he grew. He's a guy that some coaches will misuse and others won't, not sure if that makes any sense, but it's just how I feel. Could see him going to a team and bombing, strictly because the coaching staff asks him to do something that he isn't comfortable with.

Thought you guys would hold on to Hatcher, hard to find interior guys like that.

WR and DE/OLB, add some pieces in the secondary. Not sold on Foles, never know though. Would be nice to see what Kelly's O could do with a really good QB. Thought you guys had a nice season after you hit that rough patch. Focus on that D.

If I'm a D-Coordinator, I'm sitting down the next couple of weeks and just cutting the Seahawks D up and playing it for the guys when I get to camp. The way that DL flowed to the ball on screens, it was fucking awesome. Manning was dialing the right plays, he had the numbers for the screens to work, but the Hawks were running to the exact place they had to be. Even when they were out leveraged, coaches had them ready to defend the screen, lots of prep and good teaching.

I don't think people realize how dynamic Patterson is with the ball in his hand, it's the best part of his game. And I know I sound crazy, but it doesn't even look like he's running all that fast, so smooth it's effortless. Give him some time to polish the rest of his game and that trade will look a lot different.

Yeah. It's why I love watching the Seahawks so much. Their defense just plays the game the way you're supposed to play it. They know where they're supposed to be, and they arrive with force. Contrast that with the way the Eagles played the season before this one when the Eagles couldn't tackle at all.

Also, I really hope the Eagles can improve at OLB and Safety. The Eagles need at least one safety and one corner. I think the Eagles have some pieces to do good.

On Patterson, yeah, I agree with you. He's a really special player. I remember Chip Kelly saying a few weeks after passing up on kicking off to him that "in a few years when you see what Patterson is, you will know why I didn't kick to Patterson." He kicked it to Hester though. Patterson really came on at the end of the season.

But when they did need him he was on fucking point. He had three touchdown throws (it took a sick play from the Pokemaster to break up that first TD pass) and converted 7/12 third downs. Guy played a hell of a game.
Very true. He never looked rattled and really didn't make any significant mistakes. Dude is a heck of a leader.

JABEE

Exactly. Wilson came to play. The entire Seahawks team was excellent.

bionic77

What should Fox have done different?
I kept thinking they needed to run the ball a lot more to protect Manning a little more. Keep it close it wasn't like they were going to blow them out with their offense. They were up a superior team and it should have been oblivious to Fox after one quarter the usual slanging was not going to work. Even at 15-0 I was screaming at then to run more. That's not a huge deficit at the half. He threw the TAINT and it was all over.

Probably would have still lost but at least the threat of a comeback would have been there.
What do you know?! Your Seahawks homerism is clouding your judgement.
:jnc

hell of a game huh? ah well what a bummer of a last game before the offseason, congrats Seahawks and sorry Broncos I was rooting for you now everyone step back as Miami defends it's offseason championship

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

I have serious doubts that Seattle gets anywhere near it did over the past two years without Lynch and Wilson. Wilson was especially important this year as many of our early wins simply wouldn't have happened without his ability to function behind shitty line play. Wilson also carried our team on his back last year in the playoffs, even though we ended up losing to Atlanta. Most people seem to forget this.

Carroll wants his QB to play like a point guard (his words), and recent slump aside he's done that and more.

I have serious doubts that Seattle gets anywhere near it did over the past two years without Lynch and Wilson. Wilson was especially important this year as many of our early wins simply wouldn't have happened without his ability to function behind shitty line play.

Carroll wants his QB to play like a point guard (his words), and recent slump aside he's done that and more.

I think Wilson up until this SB win was underrated as a QB. He's always been smart about his plays, and aside from the small size is generally a good all around QB.

Having a RB like Lynch lets him grow without putting too much on him too quickly.

Tom Penny

I kept thinking they needed to run the ball a lot more to protect Manning a little more. Keep it close it wasn't like they were going to blow them out with their offense. They were up a superior team and it should have been oblivious to Fox after one quarter the usual slanging was not going to work. Even at 15-0 I was screaming at then to run more. That's not a huge deficit at the half. He threw the TAINT and it was all over.

Are you pretending Manning doesn't run the offense? It's not like they were in many empty sets. He chose not to run it. Even at the end of the game for some stupid reason down a trillion he kept doing fake hand off's attempting to set up play action which was laughable.

You may have close to no chance against that Seahawks defense without a mobile QB.

So true about needing a QB that can move. Multiple times you could see the pressure coming around the edge against Manning and he just couldnt step up to by more time. He was a fucking statue last night.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I think Wilson up until this SB win was underrated as a QB. He's always been smart about his plays, and aside from the small size is generally a good all around QB.

Having a RB like Lynch lets him grow without putting too much on him too quickly.
Another point on what Carroll is asking Wilson to do is that he's abiding by Bill Walsh's mantra to make the game as easy for the QB as possible, except Wilson is entirely comfortable going off script when required too.

So true about needing a QB that can move. Multiple times you could see the pressure coming around the edge against Manning and he just couldnt step up to by more time. He was a fucking statue last night.
Yeah, as soon as Kaep gets better at progressions he'll be a good counter to us. Harbaugh knows that priority one is beating the teams in your own division, and the 49ers remain our biggest threat.

I think it's funny that the Broncos shutting down Seattle's run game is lost in all the hooplah.

Called It!

I agree the Broncos need to run it more, but I just don't they had the right personnel (or maybe even scheme) to run it affectively against the Seahawks. Besides, they were getting 1-2 yards on 1st down all night, and they'll usually stop running if they can establish an effective run game. I don't think he has a problem running it if the plays have been effective or the defense dictates it (see the first matchup with the Patriots, or even that huge run by Knowshon in AFC Championship game when Patriots basically kept no linebackers behind the line of scrimmage), but Seattle was playing up all night and he wasnt about to send the RB into the teeth of the defense.

ShaneB

Yup. This is something I've been discussing with a few coworkers. The new style of QB has been a narrative for a while now, but last night was again a showcase of how an immobile QB does not pose as great a threat just because it limits options. Pass rushing becomes much easier when you realize the QB won't be all over the field.

edit: Happy Birthday Greg, you know I love ya.

:jnc

Who calls the plays though? My understanding was that Manning checks a ton of plays at the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom