• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
FMT linked this in the SB thread but I kinda hope we get the dirty truth on the NFL's other 5-6 rigged games from the past decade!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEp4r2q9tTA

Probably some home cooking went on in the NFCCG with us and the Vikings. In fact Im sure of it. But honestly I think every team that makes it to a SB has gotten one or two of these "rigged games". Whether or not its true will never be conclusive and it sucks for the loser but the margins one way or the other really are miniscule. The officials are still human and make mistakes. Every team has gotten big breaks and gotten away with shit they shouldnt. Its unfortunate when it happens in a big game. Im sure there were things in our games up in Seattle that were dodgy as hell too. It is what it is.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Chancellor is nothing if he isn't on SEA. Sherman and Thomas make the rest of the back 7 look better than they really are. Look at how the other CB slots are plug and play w/no drop off. Roids and Adderall go only so far. Buyer beware
For people who aren't in on the joke when squicken gives analysis:

FS Thomas plays single high safety at a level that allows Seattle's corners to press and be physical without too much fear of getting completely burned and for SS Kam Chancellor to spent a bunch of time in the box and play more linebackerish. While our CBs are all really good, such that those let go during the preseason went to start for other teams, they're good at different things. Browner was the more physical corner while Maxwell was better in coverage and ended up being an overall upgrade to the point that even if Browner's suspension was rescinded he'd fall back in the depth chart. Thurmond is pretty much our only true slot CB. The rest like Lane fill their part where they can.

jakncoke

Banned
Not sure what to make of that list squicks. A lot off the people on that list werent in sane peoples minds expected to make any impact at all. As for Steven Jackson, he started the season on the wrong side of 30 which is pretty much a death sentence to rbs, if i went and made a career rushing list for RB yards gained during their 30 season and above it'd be poor. So im not sure why it was expected of him to do anything on top of seemless production decreases in Stl. <random> pfr now lists the carries per game average beside yards per game average. less calculator work ftw

Wait.....is that all we're going to get out of the Incognito/Martin thing? After reading the texts, it seems to me like Martin really screwed his friend.

MechDX

GM for day: Houston Texans

SOE is doing a GM for the Day series on each team. More at the link

Good follow for draft season
The guy mentions Ritchie Incognito as a replacement for Wade Smith at LG.....stopped reading then. No way in hell the Texans sign him. And then mentions Schaub staying. Really? The owner flat out said remove him from the line up. When you lose the confidence of McNair that says a ton. Guy is loyal to a sickening degree

He does talk about Manziel fever though, which I mentioned last night, as a reason they will get more picks. Someone will reach

Wait.....is that all we're going to get out of the Incognito/Martin thing? After reading the texts, it seems to me like Martin really screwed his friend.

Looks like it. From reading the texts it seems that Martin really did embellish it all. Maybe he just doesnt want to play football any more and he and his agent thought that they could get a big settlement if they made it seem like Ritchie drove him off.

squicken

Seeing FMT's video of the SF being fixed reminded me of the Rockets Sonics game in '93 that the league fixed. It is kind of odd we watch sports when we all know that games have been and continue to be fixed by the leagues to draw better matchups and ultimately growth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax9n6JJgq-E

At least that has a happy ending. Houston won two titles and the Sonics are gone

squicken

The guy mentions Ritchie Incognito as a replacement for Wade Smith at LG.....stopped reading then. No way in hell the Texans sign him. And then mentions Schaub staying. Really? The owner flat out said remove him from the line up. When you lose the confidence of McNair that says a ton. Guy is loyal to a sickening degree

He does talk about Manziel fever though, which I mentioned last night, as a reason they will get more picks. Someone will reach

Incognito is weird, yeah. But I've heard this said on the radio, and it's true. People outside of Houston don't understand the Schaub thing. They don't get why he can never take another snap here. They think he has declined but can still be a below average but competent starter for a rebuilding team

Everyone who lives in Houston gets it that he has to go, no matter what

Tom Penny

Pats trade for Kam Chancelor, re-sign both Talib and Edelman and bring back Randy Moss.

They will have the elite safeties Chancelor and McCourty, Mayo/Wilfork back in the line-up and Collins developing in an elite LB. Then add Clowney, who they picked up with the first rounder from the Texans they got for trading away Brady, and you have the best D in the game.

Mallett will then throw 57 TDs, 27 of which go to Gronk, 15 to Moss, 5 to Dobson, 3 to Jules, 2 to Amendola, 1 to Boyce and 4 to our new TE.

After beating the Browns and Texans in the playoffs, we will proceed to the SB where we will face the Seahawks. After the greatest comeback ever, Mallett throws a TD to Gronk to win in OT.

Pat are going to end up signing scrubs Like Jones Drew and Kenny Britt but their big haul will be Tony Gonzales and his lying about retiring ass.

MechDX

Incognito is weird, yeah. But I've heard this said on the radio, and it's true. People outside of Houston don't understand the Schaub thing. They don't get why he can never take another snap here. They think he has declined but can still be a below average but competent starter for a rebuilding team

Everyone who lives in Houston gets it that he has to go, no matter what

Kubiak was Schaubs best friend and worst enemy all rolled into one. Kubiak kept telling him be prepared, youre going to be back in. Gary put him in and the fans, players and the owner just got angrier and blamed Matt.

If I was Schaub im pissed as hell at Kubiak

Kubiak was Schaubs best friend and worst enemy all rolled into one. Kubiak kept telling him be prepared, youre going to be back in. Gary put him in and the fans, players and the owner just got angrier and blamed Matt.

If I was Schaub im pissed as hell at Kubiak

For having faith in him?

effzee

So dropping down by trading with some team who has Manziel fever to get extra later picks is a bad thing? Little contradictory.

It's not a bad thing. But if they really like Teddy why risk anything? If he is the QB of the future and with this new CBA it makes no sense to trade down unless you know for a fact 100% he will be available later in the draft.

Of course if they don't like any of these guys as their #1 QB then trade down as much as they can.

I hope Gronk catches that TD pass in the SB one day

e: Yeah the key to that game was that Denver couldn't block SEA. Unless the QB is a scambling/running QB, he's got no shot when there's pressure in his face the whole game. kave's mayor cursed Franklin and Denver with that damn jersey

I felt the key really was that even on plays where they had time, Seattle knew Manning couldn't throw deep so they sat their LBs, Chancellor, and even dropped some Dlineman into zone to stop those short crossing patterns.

The same screen plays and short 3-4 yard passes which would turn into 20+ yards plays were stopped right where the player caught the ball.

It seemed so simple and obvious to do but you really need the corners, safeties, and LBs who can actually pull this off and don't shy away from the hit. Some of the hits nullified possible gains because the Broncos always fell backwards.

I think the one or two times Welker or D. Thomas caught those short passes and turned it into a big gain it was only because Seattle ran into their own players. Otherwise they were daring Manning to go deep while sitting on every short throw Denver is known to throw all the time.

The first hit that Chancellor put on Thomas really set the tone. After that every time Thomas caught a pass he went backwards because he was so afraid of getting hit.

squicken

My view of Peyton, which was so evident with those later Colts teams, is that he is so good in the regular season vs all but the best teams, that he carries a mediocre roster further than it has any right to go. Then gets killed for it when they lose to better teams in the playoffs.

The only playoff losses I thought he had against an inferior team was when the Chargers punter had the game of his life and last year vs the Ravens where he clearly can't play in the cold. I love that Bayless and Whitlock think he's overrated. What a compliment. Only a Heath Evans insult is a higher honor

My view of Peyton, which was so evident with those later Colts teams, is that he is so good in the regular season vs all but the best teams, that he carries a mediocre roster further than it has any right to go. Then gets killed for it when they lose to better teams in the playoffs.

The only playoff losses I thought he had against an inferior team was when the Chargers punter had the game of his life and last year vs the Ravens where he clearly can't play in the cold. I love that Bayless and Whitlock think he's overrated. What a compliment. Only a Heath Evans insult is a higher honor

If Manning couldn't drag some of those teams he was on to a championship then he is overrated.

Considering that rating is "Greatest QB of all time".

manfestival

while manning and the broncos lost in horrible fashion. that game was not entirely on mannings fault. I think people are way too harsh on manning and treating him like hes romo

xnipx

If a team is better they will win. In what ways were the 2012-13 broncos better than the ravens? Cold weather is not an excuse to throw dumb ass picks.

jakncoke

Banned
Norwood spent years unable to find the field on a team desperate for good WRs.

Thats because your team mismanaged him /delusioanlpennstfan

Speaking of Penn St players, Its too bad Deon Butler terrible injury caused him to not get a ring. I bet he still would of been on the roster if he didnt get injured. At least Jordan Hill and Michael Robinson going to get one

steelersmarathon_0.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Alan Faneca after a marathon.

320 > 215.

Colasante

while manning and the broncos lost in horrible fashion. that game was not entirely on mannings fault. I think people are way too harsh on manning and treating him like hes romo

It's certainly not Manning's fault entirely, but there isn't a QB in the league who'd receive as much defense as he has after scoring only eight points in the Super Bowl. He wasn't even Romoesque, because at least Romo keeps his team in the game long enough to toss his interception at the most crucial moment. Manning had his Romo moment twelve seconds into the game.

Would this be a face that lies to us?

B2CtINj.jpg

He actually said, "It’s impossible to argue that his Giants tenure has been an unsuccessful one. But if Peyton’s little brother doesn’t find more success in 2014, succession planning will begin in earnest for one of the league’s most intelligent franchises."

manfestival

It's certainly not Manning's fault entirely, but there isn't a QB in the league who'd receive as much defense as he has after scoring only eight points in the Super Bowl. He wasn't even Romoesque, because at least Romo keeps his team in the game long enough to toss his interception at the most crucial moment. Manning had his Romo moment twelve seconds into the game.

Thats not even close, how many superbowls has ROMO gone to that he didnt play in?

You think that the Colts teams he went one and done with all those times were the worse team? They were at home for the majority of those losses and also double digit favorites in a few of those games. I am not calling him a choker but those Colts teams were stacked a lot of those years. I think Dungy killed them more then anything though.

He actually said, "It’s impossible to argue that his Giants tenure has been an unsuccessful one. But if Peyton’s little brother doesn’t find more success in 2014, succession planning will begin in earnest for one of the league’s most intelligent franchises."

So is she saying it is unsuccessful or not? It is weirdly worded. I dont see how anyone could call 2 SBs unsuccessful, even though they have had consistent regular season success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom