• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colasante

So is she saying it is unsuccessful or not? It is weirdly worded. I dont see how anyone could call 2 SBs unsuccessful, even though they have had consistent regular season success.

He's saying that Eli Manning has definitely had a successful tenure with the Giants, but if he's awful again in 2014 they need to find a more suitable successor than Ryan Nassib.

He's saying that Eli Manning has definitely had a successful tenure with the Giants, but if he's awful again in 2014 they need to find a more suitable successor than Ryan Nassib.

Oh that makes sense. I havent slept for 2 days because of this horrible cold that I have and I was shocked to see Eli and unsuccessful in the same sentence. I guess I should have read it more carefully.

rando14

His pitching ability went with Kate when they broke up.

Alonzo-Mourning.gif

squicken

If a team is better they will win. In what ways were the 2012-13 broncos better than the ravens? Cold weather is not an excuse to throw dumb ass picks.

I thought he played bad in that game. His team had the two TDs on returns and Denver's offense was really outplayed by the Ravens. The regular season Broncos were better than the regular season Ravens and were at home. Peyton had a bad game and it contributed to that loss, just as much as the Moore bungle

It sounds funny, but I wonder how many bad the seasons the Giants would put up with before this became a distinct possibility?

Narag

Probably some home cooking went on in the NFCCG with us and the Vikings. In fact Im sure of it. But honestly I think every team that makes it to a SB has gotten one or two of these "rigged games". Whether or not its true will never be conclusive and it sucks for the loser but the margins one way or the other really are miniscule. The officials are still human and make mistakes. Every team has gotten big breaks and gotten away with shit they shouldnt. Its unfortunate when it happens in a big game. Im sure there were things in our games up in Seattle that were dodgy as hell too. It is what it is.

Unless the Vikings were colluding with the Saints that resulted in that 12 man penalty that pushed them out of FG range, I'd have to disagree! Shit coaching cost the Vikings that game, not the refs or Brent.

Striker

It sounds funny, but I wonder how many bad the seasons the Giants would put up with before this became a distinct possibility?
He himself knows he has to play better, and not force things. But the FO knows the core problem was the poor offensive line. Hopefully Mara and Reese improve that in a big way this offseason and get rid of cap waste in guys like Snee and Baas. They can extend Eli to lessen his deal as well. Sign a couple FA's and look at the draft as well. You can argue they need four new starters to go with Pugh.

I wonder how much the Seahawks winning a Superb Owl sets off a trend of teams building super physical defenses, at least in the NFC.

The first thing that came out of Dave Gettleman's mouth at his year-end press conference was that he was looking at Seattle and San Francisco and he feels the Panthers need to get even bigger and even more physical to compete with those teams. And the Panthers aren't really a finesse team to begin with.

squicken

You think that the Colts teams he went one and done with all those times were the worse team? They were at home for the majority of those losses and also double digit favorites in a few of those games. I am not calling him a choker but those Colts teams were stacked a lot of those years. I think Dungy killed them more then anything though.

Forgot about the Jets. Though that Colts team won 2 games w/o Peyton the next year. Those Colts teams had some good players and then about 15 terrible players.

I guess another way to look at the argument I am making is Andrew Luck. Is a league average QB taking the Colts to the last two playoffs? Not that he is their only good player, but he carries them. Then he gets to the playoffs, has to play high risk football, throws INTs, and then Heath Evans types think he is overrated

Talon

You think that the Colts teams he went one and done with all those times were the worse team? They were at home for the majority of those losses and also double digit favorites in a few of those games. I am not calling him a choker but those Colts teams were stacked a lot of those years. I think Dungy killed them more then anything though.
Those Colts team were not stacked. They always had completely pedestrian linebackers and secondaries that had a few good years of Bob Sanders and relied upon Freeney and then Mathis to generate pass rushes.

The offensive lines consisted of the...intimidating Tarik Glenn, Ryan Diem, Jeff Saturday, and co.

Hardly stacked by any means.

Those Colts team were not stacked. They always had completely pedestrian linebackers and secondaries that had a few good years of Bob Sanders and relied upon Freeney and then Mathis to generate pass rushes.

The offensive lines consisted of the...intimidating Tarik Glenn, Ryan Diem, Jeff Saturday, and co.

Hardly stacked by any means.

Great RBs, Great WRs, A great DL, A HoF talent at Safety the few years he was healthy. Compare that to the other teams they were going up against. I always that that those Colts teams were really good. Maybe stacked is to strong a word but it wasnt Manning and 44 nobodies.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I wonder how much the Seahawks winning a Superb Owl sets off a trend of teams building super physical defenses, at least in the NFC.

The first thing that came out of Dave Gettleman's mouth at his year-end press conference was that he was looking at Seattle and San Francisco and he feels the Panthers need to get even bigger and even more physical to compete with those teams. And the Panthers aren't really a finesse team to begin with.

The real problem is finding big and athletic defensive backs. All those athletes play receiver in college. There are probably 20 of those guys in the draft at wide out/tight end and like 2 db's.

Forgot about the Jets. Though that Colts team won 2 games w/o Peyton the next year. Those Colts teams had some good players and then about 15 terrible players.

I guess another way to look at the argument I am making is Andrew Luck. Is a league average QB taking the Colts to the last two playoffs? Not that he is their only good player, but he carries them. Then he gets to the playoffs, has to play high risk football, throws INTs, and then Heath Evans types think he is overrated

I totally agree with you about Luck, he drags that team to the playoffs. The Colts went 2-14 the year without Manning but they also but a way below average QB out there. If they had just had a decent QB their record would have been much better.

squicken

The real problem is finding big and athletic defensive backs. All those athletes play receiver in college. There are probably 20 of those guys in the draft at wide out/tight end and like 2 db's.

There are lots of big DBs, they are just stiff and run 4.65. But if you "develop" them then they can start to cover WRs that are super quick and run 4.4

Talon

Great RBs
Edge was very good. And...who else? Dominic Rhodes? Are we really going to call Joseph Addai great?
, Great WRs,
Obviously Marvin, Reggie, and Dallas are (were) fantastic, and they also made something out of nothing with guys like Collie.
A great DL,
Freeney was great, although he ran past plays 50% of the time. Mathis' reputation took a big jump about two years ago - everyone assumed he was a secondary guy to that point. I'm failing to think of a significant defensive tackle that played in Indianapolis in the last 15 years.
A HoF talent at Safety the few years he was healthy.
You realize he only played more than 6 games in a regular season twice in Indy? This is over the span of 7 seasons.

And where the hell is this HoF comment coming from? His three best seasons:
96 Tackles, 71 Solo, 3.5 Sacks, 2 INT, 6 PD
91 Tackles, 71 Solo, 0 Sacks, 1 INT, 2 PD
39 Tackles, 25 Solo, 0 Sacks, 1 INT, 1 PD
Compare that to the other teams they were going up against. I always that that those Colts teams were really good. Maybe stacked is to strong a word but it wasnt Manning and 44 nobodies.
It was a good roster dominated by offensive talent (Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Edge, Dallas) and two pass rushers (Freeney and Mathis) and then largely a cast of bodies outside of Bob Sanders and Gary Brackett.

Case in point, who else on that team left Indianapolis and had a markedly better career?

Mike Doss, Raheem Brock, Cato June, Nick Harper, Kelvin Hayden. These are guys that each started 60+ games for the Colts - over 100 for a few of them (Doss and Brock), and they're the most ordinary of the ordinary.

96 tackles for a safety is crazy good. Ronnie Lott only had more then that 3 times in his whole career. Hell most people say that Brian Dawkins is a HoFer and he never had 96 tackles in a season. The year the Colts won the SB the D carried them in the playoffs. They gave up 8 points to the Chiefs, 6 to the Ravens, and held the Pats offense to 13 in the 2nd half after a bad first half. Manning only played one good game in those playoffs, the AFCCG against the Pats. He struggled in the other games for the most part.

Pretty sad that Seattle was able to figure out Denver's signals and Denver didn't even bother to change them up. Bad on Peyton and the coaching staff for that blunder. They should go into the offseason and think that one over. And get healthy. And get some defensive help ASAP.

The loss doesn't hurt that much now, at least when Denver loses a Super Bowl, they get beat so bad there is nothing to glean from it. Makes it easier to move on.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Thread in ot got me thinking. How long until the wheels fall off of Marshawn Lynch? He's gotten a ridiculous amount of work during his career. 300+ touches in 4 of his 7 years. 297 in another. He's a pounder, too, so he takes a massive amount of punishment.

ShaneB

I definitely hope so. I'd love more powerhouse defences to stomp all over the NFL offence direction.

Also, Nicole Zaloumis is looking heavenly on the NFL AM videos today.

Thread in ot got me thinking. How long until the wheels fall off of Marshawn Lynch? He's gotten a ridiculous amount of work during his career. 300+ touches in 4 of his 7 years. 297 in another. He's a pounder, too, so he takes a massive amount of punishment.

Just a couple years at the most. RBs do have a short shelf life =( Especially with his bulldozing style.

Tom Penny

My view of Peyton, which was so evident with those later Colts teams, is that he is so good in the regular season vs all but the best teams, that he carries a mediocre roster further than it has any right to go. Then gets killed for it when they lose to better teams in the playoffs.

The only playoff losses I thought he had against an inferior team was when the Chargers punter had the game of his life and last year vs the Ravens where he clearly can't play in the cold. I love that Bayless and Whitlock think he's overrated. What a compliment. Only a Heath Evans insult is a higher honor

Hilarious. So he's good enough to get teams home field bye weeks etc and have number one offenses. Then when the offense shit's the bed in many of the losses he gets no blame. They want to make him GOAT if he beat Seattle but getting trounced doesn't do anything negative? It's like people pretend all his losses were in shootouts since it's his defense that lost every playoff game...

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Fox Sports says its livestream of Super Bowl XLVIII, between the Seattle Seahawks and the Denver Broncos, was the most-viewed livestream of a single sporting event in the United States in history. The internet broadcast — the third time the Super Bowl has been streamed live by a major network — attracted an average audience of 528,000 viewers per minute.

Draxal

He himself knows he has to play better, and not force things. But the FO knows the core problem was the poor offensive line. Hopefully Mara and Reese improve that in a big way this offseason and get rid of cap waste in guys like Snee and Baas. They can extend Eli to lessen his deal as well. Sign a couple FA's and look at the draft as well. You can argue they need four new starters to go with Pugh.

Ayup, the issue is that the offensive line was so poor that you would be setting up any future qb for failure.

the defense was the real star of the show... not the offense. my friend kept making jokes about how many td passes russell wilson threw but the dagger was dug before that by the defense and miscues on the broncos side

... You might want to check who the mvp of the game was.

Wrayfield

He's not dominating shit there. He's guarding a stronger guy who has 4 inches on him. Do whatever you can really.

He flops twice on that one. Do whatever you can really gives you soccer diving. Strongly disagree, let's just leave it at that.

Edited for own retardedness, BronBron gets the better of me ever since joining the Heat.

cdyhybrid

Gondo bout to go in. :eek:

Go in on that team for wasting the prime of one of the best scorers in the history of the game? I hope so, I would too.

Going to suck when he leaves/retires/gets hurt and the team goes in the tank. The bandwagon will empty and they'll be in the same situation the Sonics were in...except David Stern and his small-market boner won't be there to save them.

exarkun

That's well and good for Kubiak, but starters want to start.

I think I mentioned a few months ago I got hammered with Antonio Smith/Kareem jackson and a few of the practice squad bros. They both said that after the second Taint, and the players only meeting, most of the team was telling Kubiak to move on. Most of the guys thought Schaub had lost his professional edge and the meeting was about trying to figure if Matt could still be QB. Most of the players came out of it thinking no. So, kubiak knew but proceeded to trot the lame duck out anyway. And schaub knew. I see both your points, but Kubiak shoulda just pulled him.

If we trade down and Manziel, the homegrown Texas QB who played for now Uber-popular Texas collegiate program, goes to an in division rival and they beat us in a game next year I will probably take a break from watching the Texans. Vince Young was bad, but this will be a whole nother level of bad. You're going to see a sea of maroon Manziel jerseys cheering for the other team at the Texans games. Ughhhh

jakncoke

Banned
Next year will be AP 8th season

if he gets 1000 yards he'll have 11,115 and have passed Ottis Anderson, Eddie George, Tiki Barber , Thomas Jones , Jamal Lewis , Ricky Watters and Warrick Dunn for 19th place all time

if he gets 1250, 11365 and additionally pass OJ Simpson, Cory Dillion and John Riggins

if he gets 1580, he'll have passed fred taylor as well

1885 to become the 15th RB ever to reach 12000

Pretty crazy.

Tom Penny

Next year will be AP 8th season

if he gets 1000 yards he'll have 11,115 and have passed Ottis Anderson, Eddie George, Tiki Barber , Thomas Jones , Jamal Lewis , Ricky Watters and Warrick Dunn for 19th place all time

if he gets 1250, 11365 and additionally pass OJ Simpson, Cory Dillion and John Riggins

if he gets 1580, he'll have passed fred taylor as well

1885 to become the 15th RB ever to reach 12000

Pretty crazy.

Wouldn't it be cool if RB's actually mattered in today's NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom