• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechDX

The NFL should have a "Money in the Bank" game the Saturday before the Superbowl. It would match the two worst teams in the league and the winner gets to randomly select 5 players from all the other teams rosters to sign. Each team can "protect" 5 players on their own roster that can not be selected.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The NFL should have a "Money in the Bank" game the Saturday before the Superbowl. It would match the two worst teams in the league and the winner gets to randomly select 5 players from all the other teams rosters to sign. Each team can "protect" 5 players on their own roster that can not be selected.

How awesome would that be?

Nobody would want to watch the Browns every year.

Bread

Banned
mech for commish
BOB for mech's assistant

Any Niner fans think they might trade up for Watkins with the Raiders if he's still there at 5?

Can't think of any scenario that wouldn't include next years 1st rounder tho. Was thinking, swapping ones, getting an an extra 2 and 3 this year and then their 1st rounder next year.

Cowboys have promoted (demoted) Monte Kiffin to assistant head coach/defense. Rod Marinelli is now the defensive coordinator.

Just fire him, Jerry. :jnc

MechDX

Cowboys have demoted Monte Kiffin to defensive assistant. Rod Marinelli is now the defensive coordinator.

I thought I saw his official title as "Assistant Head coach - Defense"?

oh and:

PDS ‏@PatDStat 55m
Man looking at the PFF rankings 42 OLBs were graded all season. The bottom two? Brooks Reed #41, Whitney Mercilus #42. #Texans

I called it in the preseason team write ups! The OLB'ers would be the weak links and the main concern for the Texans defense. Talk shit about the secondary but you cant put a lot on them when there is a total of one guy (Watt) consistently getting ANY kind of pass rush. Wade needs to see this and quit his damn whining.

I thought I saw his official title as "Assistant Head coach - Defense"?

oh and:

I called it in the preseason team write ups! The OLB'ers would be the weak links and the main concern for the Texans defense. Talk shit about the secondary but you cant put a lot on them when there is a total of one guy (Watt) consistently getting ANY kind of pass rush. Wade needs to see this and quit his damn whining.

Squicken said earlier the Texans have no talent besides Watt. I disagreed then but what else do they have?

Please don't start rhyming off JAGs in defense.

MechDX

Mercilus is such a cool name for a linebacker too. It always pains me when the guys with cool names suck.

He can still be salvaged since he did show some flashes this season. Brooks Reed needs to move inside and see what happens. He is completely worthless outside.

Squicken said earlier the Texans have no talent besides Watt. I disagreed then but what else do they have?

Please don't start rhyming off JAGs in defense.

What is a JAG? I would say:

Kareem Jackson CB is a good corner but too damn physical at times and gets called for personal fouls way too much. I still refer back to his game against the Lions last season when he single handedly shut down Johnson in the second half.
Cushing was considered the second best ILB behind Willis because he can do everything (blitz, coverage, play the run)
DJ Swearinger Safety is raw but you saw his potential this season. Guy can hit.
Johnathan Joseph CB...I don't know what happened to him this past season. But again: how much can you put on a secondary when they only play man coverage and get ZERO pass rush up front?
Mercilus as mentioned earlier.

Other than that most of them either suck (Harris, McCain, Sharpton) or are just really playing out of position in a true 3-4 (Crick, Antonio Smith)
I believe Smith will not be resigned and hoping BOB gets Crennel a big, fat offensive lineman eater at NT

MechDX

I always kinda thought Brooks Reed was overrated strictly because of how much he resembles Clay Matthews,

Needs to move inside. I physically talked to him once at a former employer while working. He is HUGE! Just didn't "look" like a fast guy. Not what I would expect from and OLB who needs some speed.

Syrinx

I don't have class tomorrow because of the weather! Delayed start, but both my classes got cancelled! Wooo!

Maybe I'll stay up and play more Zelda.

RBH

jbmc2diMl1xuDM.png

https://twitter.com/KasimReed/status/428185926893068288

post-45702-0-56072400-1386285385.gif

jakncoke

Banned
22 people from Western Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh area, Armstrong & Butler counties) have recently died of overdoses of heroin laced with fentanyl. Now we learn 4 people from the Buffalo area have died from the same concoction

Can only wonder when this stuff will hit my area, probably will see a few names from my hs days pop up

RBH

Not even 2 inches of snow, and it basically brought the entire city of Atlanta to its knees.

Cars are abandoned on the roadways, kids spent the night at schools or stuck in buses, accidents left and right, and some people are STILL stuck on the highways out there right now after trying to leave work yesterday afternoon. Not calling off school for yesterday beforehand was a giant mistake that helped create this clusterfuck.

And then the governor has the gall to say that the weather was "unexpected" when it had been known about by the general public since the weekend.

An absolute embarrassment for this city.

jakncoke

Banned
Does the south use different materials for their roads? Does the south use different tires? Even summer tires there should be really no issues for 2 inches ¯\(°_o)/¯

DMczaf

As I have said before, movie-gaf is possibly the most annoying group on gaf. Every project announced is a "train-wreck", going to "bomb!", and "they raped my childhood!!!". Every decision sucks, every director sucks, every casting decision is terrible and oh here let me tell what would totally work bro.

They suck the fun out of every movie project. My favorite is if a really well known renowned director wants to do a comic book movie the same group will be all "OH MAN WHY HE SHOULD BE DOING HIS ORIGINAL WORK THIS IS A WASTE OF HIS TALENTS!"...but then if no name or mediocre directors get the gig its "omg what a terrible choice this project is sure to fail because this director sucks!"

For what's it worth based off those action figures, the new Turtles design looks really good.

It's even worse in the X-Men DOFP thread. Bryan Singer made god damn X2 and you still have Marvel fanboys bitching about costumes and posting shitty photoshops.

squicken

Not

And then the governor has the gall to say that the weather was "unexpected" when it had been known about by the general public since the weekend.

An absolute embarrassment for this city.

People in the north always wonder why the south doesn't invest in salt trucks and what not, but it makes no sense to do that when they are maybe needed one day, every other year. It's best to just shut the city down and let the weather pass. Absurd that they didn't cancel the schools

BigAT

People in the north always wonder why the south doesn't invest in salt trucks and what not, but it makes no sense to do that when they are maybe needed one day, every other year. It's best to just shut the city down and let the weather pass. Absurd that they didn't cancel the schools

My confusion is more why everything shuts down from just an inch or two of snow. You don't even need salt for that, just don't drive like a complete idiot and you should be fine. Granted if it's just ice, that's a different beast to deal with, but even then you should be able to get around as long as you're careful.

squicken

My confusion is more why everything shuts down from just an inch or two of snow. You don't even need salt for that, just don't drive like a complete idiot and you should be fine. Granted if it's just ice, that's a different beast to deal with, but even then you should be able to get around as long as you're careful.

We very rarely get fluffy snow. It's almost always sleet or rain that freezes on the roads. No one knows how to drive on it, though I have seen northern folk struggle on icy roads too.

I shut it down. I take the day off and make sure I am fully provisioned

Stephen Colbert

"@StephenAtHome: Disappointed I haven't received any offers from NFL teams yet. Well, the Browns called, but…eh."

Poor browns getting turned down by everyone

RBH

The issue is that they didn't start prepping the roads sooner instead of waiting until 11am yesterday. Just a total lack of preparation from the city and state government. "Unexpected storm" my ass.

They rolled the dice on not canceling school yesterday and it came back to bite them in the ass.

MechDX

The issue is that they didn't start prepping the roads sooner instead of waiting until 11am yesterday. Just a total lack of preparation from the city and state government. "Unexpected storm" my ass.

They rolled the dice on not canceling school yesterday and it came back to bite them in the ass.

Yeah just dumb. City of Houston announced Monday evening they were following the local school districts leads and shutting down Tuesday. Sand trucks were our on Monday night sanding already. Atlanta just severely dropped the ball.

As stated earlier, every region of the country has some sort of weather/natural disaster issues that other regions freak out at because they are just not common.

X-Men 1 and 2 are both great movies and First Class is even better. DoFP is my most anticipated upcoming movie.

What's "great" about them? The characters are underdeveloped and unrealized, Singer shied away heavily from relationships in both movies save for Wolverines and Xaviers/Charles, and the cardinal sin, he dumbed down their powers. Storm in particular is absolutely useless.

DoFP was better (mainly because Singer didn't have Wolverine to use as a crutch) but Singer needs to cut loose with the characters in the sequel.

What's "great" about them? The characters are underdeveloped and unrealized, Singer shied away heavily from relationships in both movies save for Wolverines and Xaviers/Charles, and the cardinal sin, he dumbed down their powers. Storm in particular is absolutely useless.

DoFP was better (mainly because Singer didn't have Wolverine to use as a crutch) but Singer needs to cut loose with the characters in the sequel.

I dont need 20 minutes soliloquies from Wolverine about why he is gruff. I was already familiar with all the characters from reading the comics for so many years. I just want to see Nightcrawler teleporting around and the rest of the group doing stuff. I was annoyed by some of the changes, especially what they did to Toad, but in the end they got most of the characters perfect and gave them interesting shit to do. Plus I could watch Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewart discuss super hero shit for hours and never get bored.

I dont need 20 minutes soliloquies from Wolverine about why he is gruff. I was already familiar with all the characters from reading the comics for so many years. I just want to see Nightcrawler teleporting around and the rest of the group doing stuff. I was annoyed by some of the changes, especially what they did to Toad, but in the end they got most of the characters perfect and gave them interesting shit to do. Plus I could watch Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewart discuss super hero shit for hours and never get bored.

That's my problem with the movie. People like it and Spider-Man because it was the first attempt at the stories they read about on the big screen. They got a couple things right so who cares about the rest. That thinking is the reason Wolverine has no clue who Sabertooth is in the first movie, why Galactus is an effing cloud in Fantastic Four, or why the Transformers trilogy ended up turning out the way it did.

Hate to bring up Avengers for the millionth time, but all i'll say is that movie is the standard because they took the source material at face value. It was like reading the comics again - all of the little things. They didn't scrap something because they thought fans wouldn't accept it - they ran with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom