• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colasante

So, @RapSheet tells us Julian Edelman could be worth $7M/year on the open market. Uh, no thanks.

jimmy-halsman-laughing.gif%3Fw%3D600

Goodbye, Minitron.

Pats are not taking a TE in the first. They almost never draft skill guys in the 1st round.

If they do, it's a panic move to extend Brady's career.

Panic move to draft a position at which the Patriots are currently projected to be starting Michael Hoomanawanui on opening day? Okey doke.

Mock season began a loooooong time ago on Walter Football lol. Insane how many mocks are on there.

Also I don't know if the Pats will go DT if one of the top 3 TEs are still on the board, unless they trade down

Pats are not taking a TE in the first. They almost never draft skill guys in the 1st round.

If they do, it's a panic move to extend Brady's career.

LOL at that rumor. Edelman has averaged 17 catches per season before this year. I cant see any team breaking the bank for him based off one year. If he wants a big pay day he needs to take a 1 year deal and show last year wasnt a crazy fluke.

Tom Penny

Mock season began a loooooong time ago on Walter Football lol. Insane how many mocks are on there.

Also I don't know if the Pats will go DT if one of the top 3 TEs are still on the board, unless they trade down

Pats drafting offensive players in the 1st round that aren't O Line? C'mon son.

Panic move to draft a position at which the Patriots are currently projected to be starting Michael Hoomanawanui on opening day? Okey doke.
You're aware of the fact that it's Deacon you're talking to?

Yo Deacon, not like it matters who Bill drafts amiright?! Because he sucks at it! How 'bout them second round picks huh?

dxlO0YN.gif

squicken

No fucking way he's worth that. I'm sure the Rams will give him that, though.

The Rams only waste money on ex-Titans, so I'm guessing they'll sign that Verner guy. It seems like a good idea. Only 25 and hitting his prime. Same scheme. But it's the Rams so it will not work

You're aware of the fact that it's Deacon you're talking to?

Yo Deacon, not like it matters who Bill drafts amiright?! Because he sucks at it! How 'bout them second round picks huh?

dxlO0YN.gif

So now Deacon cant talk about the Pats? Are there any non-Pats fans that are allowed to talk about them? Is the rule that only positive posts are allowed?

The Rams only waste money on ex-Titans, so I'm guessing they'll sign that Verner guy. It seems like a good idea. Only 25 and hitting his prime. Same scheme. But it's the Rams so it will not work

Hmmm the Houston Oilers became the Titans and the Houston Texans took over for the Oilers who are now the pats south, therefor by association Edelman is an ex-ex oiler who are now the titans...it fits.

So now Deacon cant talk about the Pats? Are there any non-Pats fans that are allowed to talk about them? Is the rule that only positive posts are allowed?

Shhhhhh

Verner is pretty fucking good though.

Tom Penny

You mean after the Pats rewarded Welker for catching more passes than anybody in team history by resigning him while he was in his prime?

lol

You mean after they vastly over paid him by franchising him at like 12 per then offfered him 2 for 18 guaranteed which is 30 mil over 3 years and he said no?

JABEE

Barwin was a kind of big money guy, and Casey got good money for a guy who had only been a role player in the NFL. If anything they should have learned from last year that FAs can come in a contribute right away and help the team. Eagles dont have time to try to build a defense through the draft for 3 years. By then if Foles is good he will be getting huge money, Shady will be almost 30, and DJax will be old. You might only get a few chances, need to strike quick.

My wife and I am planning to do the cord blood thing, better safe then sorry.

You also have to take into consideration that the Eagles made signing last year as a team that wasn't supposed to contend. This season, they know what they have. They know the deficiencies they have in the players they have in the system right now.

I think they make a splash this off season. They will add at least one safety, one corner, and one OLB.

Howie Roseman is the most aggressive trader in the NFL. I say they sign at least one of Ward and Byrd.

You also have to take into consideration that the Eagles made signing last year as a team that wasn't supposed to contend. This season, they know what they have. They know the deficiencies they have in the players they have in the system right now.

I think they make a splash this off season. They will add at least one safety, one corner, and one OLB.

Howie Roseman is the most aggressive trader in the NFL. I say they sign at least one of Ward and Byrd.

I to am feeling optimistic, hopefully they dont just stand pat. You cant trust that the offense will be as good next year, plus they are so far from contending with the 9ers and Seahawks. They need to upgrade both the offense and defense big time.

It's just an observation i've made. Pats don't draft skill guys in the first.

Don't see how that's negative, unless you're sensitive about it since your last 1st round skill player busted out of the league, in which case I don't blame you.

Colasante

I was just looking over this list of potential cap casualties and started to draw some possible connections: http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/05/salary-cap-cuts-sam-bradford-julius-peppers/

If the Bears cut Julius Peppers, might he reunite with John Fox in Denver? Chris Johnson to the Rams? Terrell Suggs reuniting with Chuck Pagano in Indianapolis or Rex Ryan in New York? Also, not on the list, though he should be, is Vince Wilfork. Maybe he would make sense in Houston, considering Romeo Crennel is the new DC there, if the Patriots cut him.

Tom Penny

I was just looking over this list of potential cap casualties and started to draw some possible connections: http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/05/salary-cap-cuts-sam-bradford-julius-peppers/

If the Bears cut Julius Peppers, might he reunite with John Fox in Denver? Chris Johnson to the Rams? Terrell Suggs reuniting with Chuck Pagano in Indianapolis or Rex Ryan in New York? Also, not on the list, though he should be, is Vince Wilfork. Maybe he would make sense in Houston, considering Romeo Crennel is the new DC there, if the Patriots cut him.

If Vince doesn't restructure I cut him coming off that injury at that age making 11 mil.

If the Pats cuts Wilfork the Eagles better give him a call. I like Beanie but he is way to small to play NT on rushing downs. I would be shocked if anyone wanted Peppers after this season. He looked totally finished in the few Bears games I saw.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mock Season has begun!

Erik Galko of Optimum Scouting mocks the 2014 draft.

Mock drafts don't mean shit, so why did I post this? Maybe this post will facilitate discussion. Or maybe I just posted this mock because it has the Cowboys drafting Donald. I don't fucking know.
Damn, that reminds me. We not only need OGs for talent reasons, but also a RT for cap reasons. Fuck, our whole team just became a position of need in terms of preparing for the 2015 cap.

effzee

Barwin was a kind of big money guy, and Casey got good money for a guy who had only been a role player in the NFL. If anything they should have learned from last year that FAs can come in a contribute right away and help the team. Eagles dont have time to try to build a defense through the draft for 3 years. By then if Foles is good he will be getting huge money, Shady will be almost 30, and DJax will be old. You might only get a few chances, need to strike quick.

My wife and I am planning to do the cord blood thing, better safe then sorry.

Barwin was not one of the big name FAs on the market.

In fact Texans gaf seemed to not care at all that he was leaving.

I mean guys like Williams, Fletcher, Barwin, and Casey weren't scrubs or nobodies but they also weren't on any top 10 FAs available list. I expect the Eagles to target this same level.

But yes I do agree. While Foles is young and the overall team is one of the youngest (average age I think is 26 point something years), the skill position players especially McCoy and DJAX are approaching their peak and then the quick downfall. Once DJAX loses his speed he is worthless. McCoy is fucking incredible and he doesn't take the punishing a guy like AP or Lynch takes but we all know with RBs the wheels just fall off out of nowhere and I have to assume he has 2-3 max top level years left.

Eagles can't revert back to how they were with McNabb in his early days where they sort were more than happy to just the guys develop and if they happen to win, they win. Not also calling for them to sign everybody, but they do need to identify needs and address them for a possible title run this coming season.

Saw this on the Eagles message boards a list of all the potential FA safeties. This list gets dire fast:

Safeties

1. Jairus Byrd
2. T.J. Ward
3. Antoine Bethea
4. Chris Clemons
5. Malcolm Jenkins
6. Stevie Brown
7. Major Wright
8. Nate Allen
9. Charles Woodson
10. Ryan Clark
11. James Ihedigbo
12. Bernard Pollard
13. Donte Whitner
14. Usama Young
15. Kendrick Lewis
16. Mike Adams
17. Michael Mitchell
18. Chris Crocker
19. Yeremiah Bell
20. Quintin Mikell
21. Michael Huff
22. Brandon Meriweather
23. Ryan Mundy
24. Taylor Mays
25. Ed Reed
26. Jim Leonhard
27. Husain Abdullah
28. Darrell Stuckey
29. Sergio Brown
30. Colt Anderson
31. Darian Stewart
32. Craig Steltz
33. Chris Maragos
34. Will Allen
35. Quintin Demps
36. Matt Giordano
37. Reed Doughty
38. Danny McCray
39. Kurt Coleman
40. John Wendling

Saw this on the Eagles message boards a list of all the potential FA safeties. This list gets dire fast:

Safeties

1. Jairus Byrd
2. T.J. Ward
3. Antoine Bethea
4. Chris Clemons
5. Malcolm Jenkins
6. Stevie Brown
7. Major Wright
8. Nate Allen
9. Charles Woodson
10. Ryan Clark
11. James Ihedigbo
12. Bernard Pollard
13. Donte Whitner
14. Usama Young
15. Kendrick Lewis
16. Mike Adams
17. Michael Mitchell
18. Chris Crocker
19. Yeremiah Bell
20. Quintin Mikell
21. Michael Huff
22. Brandon Meriweather
23. Ryan Mundy
24. Taylor Mays
25. Ed Reed
26. Jim Leonhard
27. Husain Abdullah
28. Darrell Stuckey
29. Sergio Brown
30. Colt Anderson
31. Darian Stewart
32. Craig Steltz
33. Chris Maragos
34. Will Allen
35. Quintin Demps
36. Matt Giordano
37. Reed Doughty
38. Danny McCray
39. Kurt Coleman
40. John Wendling

Wait Dolphins Chris Clemons?? I hope we resign him, he isn't an all pro but he's solid and we don't need another missing piece.

squicken

Hard to see CJ1k in STL unless it is for cheap. Don't think there will ever be much of a FA RB market ever again, for that matter.

e:

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
As expected, O'Brien's staff doesn't have an offensive coordinator. So there are two NFL OCs in Texas, and they both work for the Cowboys.

lol

Crisco

Banned
The nice thing about the Seahawks is they have no fans outside of the Pacific Northwest, so the rest of us can pretty much just ignore that this season ever happened. Also they'll go back to being cellar dwellers in a couple years when their roster is decimated by bad contracts and PED suspensions. Wilson is not good enough to carry that team on his own, and he's going to get Flacco money. Enjoy your day in the sun before it starts raining again Seattle!

The nice thing about the Seahawks is they have no fans outside of the Pacific Northwest, so the rest of us can pretty much just ignore that this season ever happened. Also they'll go back to being cellar dwellers in a couple years when their roster is decimated by bad contracts and PED suspensions. Wilson is not good enough to carry that team on his own, and he's going to get Flacco money. Enjoy your day in the sun before it starts raining again Seattle!

After the 9ers lost, football fans disappeared from LA, I only see the occasional Cowboy/Pitts fan that are always around. Even the Laker flags are down, it's like sports don't exist here.

cdyhybrid

Our success may be short-lived, but your salt will last forever.

JCizzle

Preach! I'm praying that Roger will drop the hammer now that he's compensated them for 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom