• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Pre-Preseason Thread |OT| Milana Vayntrub presents "Wet Dreaming of a Super Bowl"

Top 5 (no particular order): Rodgers, Peyton, Luck, Roethlisberger, Romo

So to you there is no discernible difference between having Drew Brees or Russell Wilson at QB vs. having Andy Dalton or Jay Cutler. I know you love your absolutes but QB is far too nuanced a position to be that black and white in my opinion.

You are arguing that the Dolphins don't have a QB worth mentioning. Essentially your argument is Tannehill = EJ Manuel. No point in even trying to dispute something so absurd.

Come on guys, I'm not asking for much here.
The nuance isn't worth mentioning though. What successful QB would you compare Tanny to? Closest I could hazard is Alex Smith. How much time does anyone spend in talking about Alex Smith?

eznark

Banned
Top 5 (no particular order): Rodgers, Peyton, Luck, Roethlisberger, Romo

So to you there is no discernible difference between having Drew Brees or Russell Wilson at QB vs. having Andy Dalton or Jay Cutler. I know you love your absolutes but QB is far too nuanced a position to be that black and white in my opinion.

Essentially....yes. I don't think any of those guys, this season, would make the Dolphins appreciably better or worse than Tannehill.

If you go by, say, DYAR, it's slightly more nuanced in that there are three tiers with Manning, Rodgers and Ben being significantly ahead of everyone, then a group of ten all the same, then garbage. Tannehill actually falls at the bottom of that second tier, but is a leap above the best shit guy (Wilson).

Now, I don't completely buy into DYAR or DVOA, but week in week out there is a group of say, 5 QB's you can count on to play extremely well every single week, a group of 15 who can play anywhere from mediocre to excellent, a group of 10-ish who are dog shit, then the Browns.

I think Tannehill is firmly, deeply in that second group. I also think this year he has a huge breakout year.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I'm taking the Browns to the super bowl!!!!!!

Maybe twice today?

ez lives in cinci-diana-tucky somewhere. So probably not.

Ah, I was gonna ask him if he purposefully tried to keep any minorities besides players out of frame.

The nuance isn't worth mentioning though. What successful QB would you compare Tanny to? Closest I could hazard is Alex Smith. How much time does anyone spend in talking about Alex Smith?
It's okay, your point is made. You start a new football team you flip a coin between Tannehill and EJ Manuel. No point in discussing this with you any further.

Essentially....yes. I don't think any of those guys, this season, would make the Dolphins appreciably better or worse than Tannehill.

If you go by, say, DYAR, it's slightly more nuanced in that there are three tiers with Manning, Rodgers and Ben being significantly ahead of everyone, then a group of ten all the same, then garbage. Tannehill actually falls at the bottom of that second tier, but is a leap above the best shit guy (Wilson).

Now, I don't completely buy into DYAR or DVOA, but week in week out there is a group of say, 5 QB's you can count on to play extremely well every single week, a group of 15 who can play anywhere from mediocre to excellent, a group of 10-ish who are dog shit, then the Browns.

I think Tannehill is firmly, deeply in that second group. I also think this year he has a huge breakout year.
Now that I can buy into. There is a huge drop-off from the upper echelon to the next group on a week by week basis but most of those second tier guys can have an upper echelon type game or occasional streak.

I hope you're right about Tannehill. Don't get me wrong, I think he still has a lot to prove. All I'm saying is he's already proven a lot more than Geno Smith, EJ Manuel, or Matt Cassel.

eznark

Banned
Now that I can buy into. There is a huge drop-off from the upper echelon to the next group on a week by week basis but most of those second tier guys can have an upper echelon type game or occasional streak.

I hope you're right about Tannehill. Don't get me wrong, I think he still has a lot to prove. All I'm saying is he's already proven a lot more than Geno Smith, EJ Manuel, or Matt Cassel.

12-4 brother!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
All I'm saying is he's already proven a lot more than Geno Smith, EJ Manuel, or Matt Cassel.

Congratulations?

e -

CLKm_o-UsAACG0f.jpg

Translation: gtfo

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I had to look up what DYAR was as I've never heard of it before.

Thanks to EZ I had to learn and I got disrespected at the same time.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I knew Mike Pettine was the coach for us:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/30/mike-pettine-were-motivated-by-outside-disrespect/

The Browns may lack talent at certain positions on their roster, but they shouldn’t be short on motivation.

That’s the message sent by coach Mike Pettine, who was asked Wednesday about predictions regarding the team’s chances of contending for anything more than a high draft pick next year. Pettine joked that he’s seen projections ranking the Browns fifth in the four-team AFC North, but got more serious about how the Browns can use that to their advantage.

“Nobody wants to be disrespected,” Pettine said, via the Associated Press. “It’s a prideful group, and I just see it as a motivating thing. We had two wins over division opponents last year by 21 points, and we just feel our best path to get to where we want to be is in the division. We played well enough — at times — to be in that conversation and at other times we didn’t. I think so much of the NFL is every team is capable, but who can do it consistently and who can do it the longest. I think that’s where we have to take that next step this year.”

Also thanks EZ, lately I've been reading up a lot more about some of the more "complex" things in football. Kinda why I do enjoy coming here since my friends want no part of it or just yell "shut up the Browns suck"

eznark

Banned
I knew Mike Pettine was the coach for us:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/30/mike-pettine-were-motivated-by-outside-disrespect/

Also thanks EZ, lately I've been reading up a lot more about some of the more "complex" things in football. Kinda why I do enjoy coming here since my friends want no part of it or just yell "shut up the Browns suck"

I know people have talked about it before in here but I finally got around to reading Collision Low Crossers. Read it. Tons of Pettine in there.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

ampere

Tannehill is serviceable with a good coach (which he obviously does not have). I'd agree with the Alex Smith comparisons, guy could win in the right scenario, but he certainly won't be the main reason they win.

Crisco

Banned
Sounds like the courts aren't having any of Brady's shit. He really should call uncle at this point, it's only going to get worse for him the longer this drags out.

ShaneB

Fun ATN episode. Wesseling brings the heat.

Around the NFL podcast pissing me off to no end this morning. It's fine to say that the Pats are in another tier compared to the rest of the AFC East. I get it, it's been that way for a long time. But dammit I am sick and tired of this narrative that "no team in the AFC East outside of the Pats has a quarterback." Okay, Tannehill isn't a top 10 QB at this point in his career, but stop acting like he doesn't exist or is in the same tier as Geno Smith and Matt Cassel!

Meh. You sit atop the mountain until someone knocks you off it. Don't forget the Harvard prediction!

Seanspeed

Banned
Around the NFL podcast pissing me off to no end this morning. It's fine to say that the Pats are in another tier compared to the rest of the AFC East. I get it, it's been that way for a long time. But dammit I am sick and tired of this narrative that "no team in the AFC East outside of the Pats has a quarterback." Okay, Tannehill isn't a top 10 QB at this point in his career, but stop acting like he doesn't exist or is in the same tier as Geno Smith and Matt Cassel!

I'm with Kave, the lack of respect is unbearable at times.

EDIT: yummmmm

giphy.gif
As a Pats fan, Tannehill legitimately makes me edgy whenever we play y'all.

I agree with eznark that there's the elite level, and then a 2nd, very large group of good-but-can-be-great-at-times QB's and I'd include Tannehill in that. A guy that can definitely beat you if you're not on your top game on D.

bionic77

I'm telling you man, I don't think I can handle one more Alex Smith comparison. I just can't. Alex Smith wishes he could do this:

gibsong8ykc.gif

Imagine Tannehill going an entire season without a TD pass to a WR...
What other qb's in the league can make that pass throwing across their body?

Ben used to be able to do that but I think he might be a little too old now. Romo could also do that in his youth but not anymore (or like Ben should not try it).

Rodgers can do it. So can Wussle. I don't know if I ever saw Stafford make a throw running in the wrong direction like that (that was not intercepted or horrible). Anyone else in the league that can make that throw?

Pepiope

Only 1 team has made the playoffs after changing their starting QB, leading rusher and receiver from the prior year.

Team that changed those three this year? The Eagles. Doesn't mean anything obviously just an interesting fact.
The one team who did it? The 2006 Saints when they traded for the injured Drew Brees...

Hmmmmmmmm

What other qb's in the league can make that pass throwing across their body?

Ben used to be able to do that but I think he might be a little too old now. Romo could also do that in his youth but not anymore (or like Ben should not try it).

Rodgers can do it. So can Wussle. I don't know if I ever saw Stafford make a throw running in the wrong direction like that (that was not intercepted or horrible). Anyone else in the league that can make that throw?
You mean besides Alex Smith?

Also, look at the pass blocking on that play. That's what he has dealt with all three years in the league. Excuses excuses, I know, but at some point you have to recognize that it's hard to get anything done with an o-line that is legitimately bottom 5 in the NFL.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/08/2014-pff-offensive-line-rankings/

32. Miami Dolphins

Pass Blocking Ranking: 32nd, Run Blocking Ranking: 31st, Penalties Ranking: 29th

Stud: When Branden Albert went down things did not go well. He was in All-Pro contention before the injury struck and it was a huge blow to lose him.

Dud: In preseason Dallas Thomas (-32.7) struggled at guard. So naturally, being forced to start at right tackle did not go well as he was overmatched and routinely beaten.

Breakdown: Just horrible. The 210 combined sacks, hits and hurries they allowed were most in the league and they weren’t much better in the run game. The musical chairs that saw Mike Pouncey to guard and Ja’Waun James to left tackle had a detrimental effect and it was brutal to watch them. It’s a young group that needs to play better.

bionic77

You mean besides Alex Smith?

Also, look at the pass blocking on that play. That's what he has dealt with all three years in the league. Excuses excuses, I know, but at some point you have to recognize that it's hard to get anything done with an o-line that is legitimately bottom 5 in the NFL.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/08/2014-pff-offensive-line-rankings/
I know you are being sarcastic but even FMT would agree that Smith could never make that throw running to his left.

I'm telling you man, I don't think I can handle one more Alex Smith comparison. I just can't. Alex Smith wishes he could do this:

gibsong8ykc.gif

Imagine Tannehill going an entire season without a TD pass to a WR...

It's a lazy comparison to make, we know what to expect from smith, tannehill still has potential and more importantly has improved every year.

Also what an awesome play

Top Bottom