• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Pre-Preseason Thread |OT| Milana Vayntrub presents "Wet Dreaming of a Super Bowl"

Oh yeah, HUGE improvement.

RepvcrR.gif

Coming from Sanchez though..

‏@mikerodak
Bills QBs very mediocre today. From 11-on-11s that I watched:

Cassel: 5 for 7, INT
Taylor: 2 for 4, 3 sacks, TD
Manuel: 0 for 1, 2 sacks

WANDERINGWIND, TYROD LEADING THE WAY

IT'S HAPPENING :DDDDDD

Eagles will be much better. Worst defense in the league last year but vastly improved this year. They also had the worst starting QB in the nfl last year, Bradford is going to be a huge improvement.

Eagles worst defense in the league? That's news to me. I didn't think they were even the worst in the division.

Eagles worst defense in the league? That's news to me. I didn't think they were even the worst in the division.

They had the worst pass defense rating. Their run defense was tops though.

Something to keep in mind in regards to the Eagles and Bradford. The Eagles scored more points with Foles/Sanchez than Dallas did with Romo (who was the most accurate passer last year, more accurate than Rodgers as I recall) playing basically a full season. System is QB friendly. If Bradford reduces turnovers and 3 & outs I expect the Eagles to be a better team than last year. If the defense doesn't put up league worst pass defense I expect them to be a better team than last year.

Striker

Yeah, Redskins and Giants had worse defenses. No Beason, all the corners injured, Safeties abysmal, Kiwi starting most of the year, Perry Fewell not using the young guys. Just pure shit.

On that note: Giants DL at the moment in camp is George Selvie, John Hankins, Cullen Jenkins, and Robert Ayers. I hope Odiggy gets a good opportunity.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
The Eagles defense was bad because of Chip Kelly's offense. You can't have a no huddle offense, on the field for 20% of the game and then expect the defense to carry the burden for 80% of the game. Defenders will eventually get tired, it doesn't matter what personal you put on the field.

Can't wait to watch Suh and Wake tear up the league this season. Luckily the Lions don't have to play the Dolphins for another 4 years unless we happen to meet in the Super Bowl (which is possible IMO).

Yeah, Redskins and Giants had worse defenses. No Beason, all the corners injured, Safeties abysmal, Kiwi starting most of the year, Perry Fewell not using the young guys. Just pure shit.

On that note: Giants DL at the moment in camp is George Selvie, John Hankins, Cullen Jenkins, and Robert Ayers. I hope Odiggy gets a good opportunity.

Yeah, Giants D was bad last year in both pass and rush. Eagles were only bad in pass defense.

The Eagles defense was bad because of Chip Kelly's offense. You can't have a no huddle offense, on the field for 20% of the game and then expect the defense to carry the burden for 80% of the game. Defenders will eventually get tired, it doesn't matter what personal you put on the field.

Can't wait to watch Suh and Wake tear up the league this season. Luckily the Lions don't have to play the Dolphins for another 4 years unless we happen to meet in the Super Bowl (which is possible IMO).

Chip Kelly's offense didn't make the offense go 3 and out at a very high rate. Chip Kelly's offense didn't cause the defense to give up a ridiculous number of 3rd and long conversions either. The terrible pass defense caused the conversions. The Eagles were more successful defending 3rd and short last year than 3rd and long. And the offense went 3 and out often because Shady would dance around in the backfield and it would be 3rd and 15 before you knew it. I think two of Kelly's goals in the offseason were to address exactly those two things by signing North/South runners and signing the best CB he could get his hands on, and drafting another high in the second round.

cdyhybrid

You can have a no-huddle offense, you just can't have a hurry-up no-huddle offense and expect your defense to hold up. You can eat clock without huddling - just go to the line immediately and then read the defense, make adjustments, etc.

They had the worst pass defense rating. Their run defense was tops though.

Something to keep in mind in regards to the Eagles and Bradford. The Eagles scored more points with Foles/Sanchez than Dallas did with Romo (who was the most accurate passer last year, more accurate than Rodgers as I recall) playing basically a full season. System is QB friendly. If Bradford reduces turnovers and 3 & outs I expect the Eagles to be a better team than last year. If the defense doesn't put up league worst pass defense I expect them to be a better team than last year.

Dallas was a running team that would score and run down the clock while pounding the opposing D with their O line.. Phillys offense would score way too quick and teir D would get tired, which is why they gave up so many big plays downfield. More points scored doesn't equal a better team overall.

Striker

Yeah, Giants D was bad last year in both pass and rush. Eagles were only bad in pass defense.
The Giants run defense was just horrendous on the edge. The DE's didn't contain that great, and the OLB always over-pursued. And as I said, Safety play with Rolle, Demps, and Stevie Brown was all really bad.

I know Spags doesn't have a ton to work with this year, but they can't possibly be any worse.

cdyhybrid

How do you get sacked in practice

In American football and Canadian football, a sack occurs when the quarterback (or another offensive player acting as a passer) is tackled behind the line of scrimmage before he can throw a forward pass, when the quarterback is tackled behind the line of scrimmage in the "pocket" and his intent is unclear, or when a passer runs out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage due to defensive pressure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterback_sack

Here you go, little Gata.

Dallas was a running team that would score and run down the clock while pounding the opposing D with their O line.. Phillys offense would score way too quick and teir D would get tired, which is why they gave up so many big plays downfield. More points scored doesn't equal a better team overall.

We can have the TOP argument if you want, but it's pretty useless. The vaunted Dallas O-Line put up basically their worst run numbers against the Eagles front seven last season. There was absolutely nothing worn down about the Eagles run defense all season. The problem was the pass defense. TOP is as much about not giving your opponent the opportunity to score as it is about wearing out defenses. Kelly's offense eliminates one of those two advantages. Kelly's offense gives an advantage over other defenses by tiring them out. It's a wash really.

cdyhybrid

KING 5 News ‏@KING5Seattle 8s9 seconds ago

Carroll: Jimmy Graham "looked great today." #Seahawks

#championship

Bob Condotta ‏@bcondotta 47s48 seconds ago Renton, WA

Carroll says "we're on it" in regards to Wagner contract and hints could he done soon.

#championship

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Gisele Bündchen 'donned a burqa to secretly visit Paris plastic surgeon for $11,000 eye and breast operation'

Obviously doesn't want to be recognized as being married to a known cheating scumbag.

We can have the TOP argument if you want, but it's pretty useless. The vaunted Dallas O-Line put up basically their worst run numbers against the Eagles front seven last season. There was absolutely nothing worn down about the Eagles run defense all season. The problem was the pass defense. TOP is as much about not giving your opponent the opportunity to score as it is about wearing out defenses. Kelly's offense eliminates one of those two advantages. Kelly's offense gives an advantage over other defenses by tiring them out. It's a wash really.
If the Eagles have a QB playing well their system works like a charm. Sanchez looked like Joe Montana on thanksgiving. If you are playing a ruining team like the cowboys and your d line wins up front it turns into an ass whooping, again like on thanksgiving.

If the Eagles have a QB playing well their system works like a charm. Sanchez looked like Joe Montana on thanksgiving. If you are playing a ruining team like the cowboys and your d line wins up front it turns into an ass whooping, again like on thanksgiving.

Even in the second game the Eagles held Murray to 80 yards. They lost that game because their pass defense sucked and Sanchez threw two INTs. If they reduce turnovers the D wouldn't have been as tired and they'd have had more scoring chances. That's the game Bradley Fletcher got burned by Dez for like a 30 yard TD reception. I think Bradford has a good chance of reducing the INTs. I think Maxwell can cover Dez better than Bradley Fletcher or Cary Williams. Kelly tried to address those two gaping issues this offseason, now it's just a matter of seeing if he was successful.

cdyhybrid

Even in the second game the Eagles held Murray to 80 yards. They lost that game because their pass defense sucked and Sanchez threw two INTs. If they reduce turnovers the D wouldn't have been as tired and they'd have had more scoring chances. That's the game Bradley Fletcher got burned by Dez for like a 30 yard TD reception. I think Bradford has a good chance of reducing the INTs. I think Maxwell can cover Dez better than Bradley Fletcher or Cary Williams.

We'll see. Maxie won't have Earl & Kam behind him anymore.

Pepiope

The players said themselves that they felt good at the end of the season, the defense was not tired. Cary maybe, but that's because he refused to put the work in.

“If you ask most guys who have come from other places and come here, most of them will tell you toward the end of the season they felt better here than they have at other places and I think it’s due to all the things Chip focuses on as far as recovery and all of that,” Jenkins said, via the Philadelphia Inquirer.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ers-say-they-werent-exhausted-at-end-of-2014/

We were also 3rd in the NFL in offensive PPG behind only DEN and GB. That was with Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez. Bradford is better than both of them. Be scared.

You guys may not have Kam back there either.

No, he won't. Malcolm Jenkins is pretty damn good though. There is a huge questionmark with Walter Thurmond or whoever else plays safety. But can it really get worse than Nate Allen? You don't need Kam, you just need to get a safety that can actually be the deepest man on the field once or twice a game, something which Nate Allen could never do.

Draxal

He gets more money by not playing football? I don't understand.

Giants could put him on the NFI list if he signs the tender, which would cost him money, he has no obligation to report to the team as he's not under contract with the Giants.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/07/jason_pierre-paul_fallout_what_is_nfi_and_why_he_s.html

Basically, the NFI list is like the pup list and he won't get paid for the first six games of the season, he wants to rehab and come around game 5 instead of game 7.

eznark

Banned
We were also 3rd in the NFL in offensive PPG behind only DEN and GB. That was with Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez. Bradford is better than both of them. Be scared.

trembling, thank god the Packers won't play them this year, they might only win by 30

Pepiope

No, he won't. Malcolm Jenkins is pretty damn good though. There is a huge questionmark with Walter Thurmond or whoever else plays safety. But can it really get worse than Nate Allen? You don't need Kam, you just need to get a safety that can actually be the deepest man on the field once or twice a game, something which Nate Allen could never do.
Yep, we don't need to be the best defense in the NFL by any means, but we need to be better than last year, and Nate Allen is just an addition by subtraction. WT3 has Maxwell's back, fuck Seattle.

trembling, thank god the Packers won't play them this year, they might only win by 30
You guys beat Mark Sanchez. Congrats.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Giants could put him on the NFI list if he signs the tender, which would cost him money, he has no obligation to report to the team as he's not under contract with the Giants.

So he's hoping he can force the Giants to release him and then get someone else to pay him? Am I reading that correctly?

Fucking guy blew up his hand on purpose; that slippery bitch!

The players said themselves that they felt good at the end of the season, the defense was not tired. Cary maybe, but that's because he refused to put the work in.

I'm really curious how DeMarco does in that system. He is a player that thrives on getting into a groove with lots of carries, but was noticeably wore down by the end of the season. He will have a lighter load but less opportunity to get into a rhythm.

Draxal

So he's hoping he can force the Giants to release him and then get someone else to pay him? Am I reading that correctly?

Fucking guy blew up his hand on purpose; that slippery bitch!

Nah, he just doesn't want to be put on the NFI list, basically he wants to rehab and be ready by game 3-4-5 instead of game 7.

There's no reason for the Giants to release him and have him sign with the Cowboys/Eagles this year (next year otoh he'll be a true free agent so there's nothing the Giants can do).

Top Bottom