• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Pre-Preseason Thread |OT| Milana Vayntrub presents "Wet Dreaming of a Super Bowl"

Striker

Didn't pass out right away so there added the things into it.
s9ExKWo.gif
Restore the Roar

Tom Penny

That was trippy. Woke up from pitch black loud thunderstorms and lighting that lasted at least an hour. Fall back asleep wake up an hour later and its sunny and 70 degrees.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Sounds like spring here except 30 degrees hotter.

Sounds like most months out of the year. Houston gets an absurd number of random pop up thunderstorms.

My favorite is when you're driving along and partly cloudy but sunny and then you run into a real quick sprinkle.

Tom Penny

Sounds like most months out of the year. Houston gets an absurd number of random pop up thunderstorms.

My favorite is when you're driving along and partly cloudy but sunny and then you run into a real quick sprinkle.

Women I work with at a bank in Houston says they have been 100+ lately. I guess that's normal or some shit. Fuck that.

My little cousin (high school age) just started a GoFundMe campaign to raise $20k for her boyfriend and his friend to come from Northern Ireland to the US. They have never met in real life and have been "dating" for about 2 weeks.

And people wonder why I feel old.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis

Ain't rain on a sunny day normal? I don't leave this area much except when I go to the valley/mexico.

Godslay

Banned
because case keenum was in his second year as an undrafted free agent, if I recall correctly. So, you think case keenum should have been starting over schaub in his rookie year? Its never benefited a QB to sit a few years, Aaron Rodgers anyone?

I agree with the idea of grooming QBs.

Yet, there are multiple reasons why a QB sits. In Rodgers case he was the heir apparent. Same with Osweiler and Garoppolo for instance. The QB position is locked up, but the QBs ahead of them are in tbe twilight of their careers.

Then there is everyone else. They could be developmental prospects or held because they are only going to be backups. The better the QB, and the younger the QB, the less teams typically invest in the development of those 2nd and 3rd stringers. Keenum probably fell in that category, same with Yates and whoever else.

I find it hard to believe that Keenum was truly being groomed to take over for Schaub. Schaub was expected to lead them for sometime, until he became a headcase. The Texans had to reset because they had no true prospects at QB, as evidenced by the moves they've made.

Tom Penny

Marcus Mariota has gone through four straight practices without an interception, making him the only Titans quarterback in camp to do so.

According to the unofficial tally, Mariota is 49-of-73 in combined drills over four days of camp, a solid 67 percent.

Titans have the worst secondary confirmed.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Ain't rain on a sunny day normal? I don't leave this area much except when I go to the valley/mexico.

No. I'm also used to cold fronts going from west to east and the temperature dropping like 15-20 degrees when that happens.

The winter before last I was in the valley they actually got a bunch of ice and they closed down the interstates. It was weird.

squicken

The Philadelphia Eagles have interest in tying starting quarterback Sam Bradford to the franchise beyond the upcoming season and have begun discussing a contract extension, according to sources.

It is not expected the negotiations would result in a long-term contract but more likely an agreement providing the team control of Bradford past the 2015 season, the final year of his current contract.

Eagles coach Chip Kelly has Bradford taking the first-team reps at training camp ahead of Mark Sanchez, his primary competition for the starting position. Bradford is coming off the second ACL injury of his career, but Kelly wants a quarterback around whom he can build his team, and Bradford has made a strong early impression.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13374228/philadelphia-eagles-sam-bradford-extension-talks

squicken

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2511711-chip-kelly-and-his-relentless-assault-on-the-status-quo

Mike Tanier with a pretty cool look at Chip's holistic look at building his team. Touches on all the transactions and how it fits into scheme, culture and sports science

Kelly even mentioned, as off-the-cuff as anything is mentioned in a press conference, that players fill out daily questionnaires about fatigue level.

Yes, questionnaires, with how are you feeling today-type questions. “We fill out daily surveys so we always have open dialogue,” said linebacker Connor Barwin. “Coaches can look at them and understand where the group’s at. Does everybody feel fresh? It’s not just that they are out here looking at us, deciding how they think we feel.”

Barwin said players feel comfortable admitting they are fatigued on surveys, and that coaches adjust workloads based on the survey results. “It only works if you are honest,” he said.

There’s more to the Eagles’ fatigue feedback system than multiple-choice questionnaires; players take regular dehydration tests and other sports-scientific examinations, for example. But the surveys peel back the veil on a facet of Kelly’s philosophy that we don’t expect to see.

Kelly isn’t a tyrant forcing weary players through endless drills. He’s using a culture of player feedback to inform the science that drives the conditioning that makes his scheme feasible; the uniqueness of the scheme, practice habits and conditioning science all feed back into the culture.

It all requires personnel willing to both buy into and enhance the culture.

Colasante

Sources: the Patriots have converted a $10M option bonus due to Gronk at the end of this year into 2 payments. $4M now, $6M later.

Rob Gronkowski has a $6M option bonus — not $10M — the #Patriots would need to pick up to extend his deal through 2019. They’re expected to.

K9bhUZo.gif

squicken

Chip just trying to do things the white right way.

My biggest problem with Chip is that I think his offense exposes his defense too much. Buddy Ryan realized this all the way back with the run and shoot; putting the defense back on the field after quick 3 and outs, not being able to milk clock late in games

But as far as all his other stuff I really do agree with. Baseball and basketball were changed by outsiders. Football will never be like that, but it is a sport that has clung to 1940s militarism for far too long. How many Sundays and Saturdays are comically filled with coaches trying not to lose?

I mean it is kind of crazy that Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson are more situationally aware than their head coach is at times. Why do coaches still manage high leverage situations by feel and gut? Shouldn't they have had meetings all offseason to figure out what to do in nearly every situation?

Dolphins beat writers are raving about Greg Jennings. I even saw a prediction that he would lead the team in receptions. I'm not going to get too hyped on him but I do think he still has a good year or two left in the tank. His route running is impeccable.

eznark

Banned
I mean it is kind of crazy that Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson are more situationally aware than their head coach is at times. Why do coaches still manage high leverage situations by feel and gut? Shouldn't they have had meetings all offseason to figure out what to do in nearly every situation?

That's a false choice. They have meetings all year, sit at the office watching film til 5 am, take a nap and coach at 8am, whiteboard everything, analyze the fuck out of all the fucks, go to coaching clinics, seminars, symposiums, and study under their peers so that when a situation comes up and you have 20 seconds to make a decision you can trust your gut, because you've been preparing to act intuitively as there isn't time to make sure you are making the perfect decision.

If you've ever listened to Aaron Rodgers talk about football, there is nothing crazy about him being more situationally aware than anyone. I've never heard a more intelligent football player, lots of it is his perfect recall of every play. Reading Collision Low Crossers it sounds like Rex Ryan is the same way, though his emotions get in the way of a lot of that.

Top Bottom