• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Pre-Preseason Thread |OT| Milana Vayntrub presents "Wet Dreaming of a Super Bowl"

Godslay

Banned
I don't even know what your trying to argue anymore.

Also its not a cop out to pin success on Peyton. Dude carried Jim freaking Caldwell to an almost perfect season and the superbowl.

BOB is going to have the same level of success as Kubes did. Reason being? You are going to get your dick stomped in the dirt because the Texans don't have a QB.That's a problem with a lot of franchises as well so it's not like I'm singling Houston out on this one. Teams with meddling QBs and good defenses are rarely above average.

To say that going from a coach who was right at 8-8 on average to one season of 9-7 is a dramatic improvement is laughable. Get a QB and all that changes, but if Mariota pans out and Luck stays healthy Texans are bottom dwellers even if they have God himself coaching the team with the current QBs.

I just think that there is some delusion in the fact that BOB is not a panacea to a one-dimensional team / franchise who hasn't been able to evaluate or develop QB talent.

If Peyton carries Kubiak to success, that's fine with me. In that scenario, it proves that Manning still has it, and Kubiak gets credit for being at the helm. Which is a win/win in my book.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
BOB is going to have the same level of success as Kubes did. Reason being? You are going to get your dick stomped in the dirt because the Texans don't have a QB.That's a problem with a lot of franchises as well so it's not like I'm singling Houston out on this one. Teams with meddling QBs and good defenses are rarely above average.

To say that going from a coach who was right at 8-8 on average to one season of 9-7 is a dramatic improvement is laughable. Get a QB and all that changes, but if Mariota pans out and Luck stays healthy Texans are bottom dwellers even if they have God himself coaching the team with the current QBs.

I just think that there is some delusion in the fact that BOB is not a panacea to a one-dimensional team / franchise who hasn't been able to evaluate or develop QB talent.

If Peyton carries Kubiak to success, that's fine with me. In that scenario, it proves that Manning still has it, and Kubiak gets credit for being at the helm. Which is a win/win in my book.

:jnc that's the best you got? Do you think you are talking to someone who thinks everything is bunnies and rainbows?

I am probably the most consistent person in NFL gaf to say you need a QB to win anything. Whenever anyone pops in and starts jacking off to the NFLs so called parity I am always calling them out. There is no parity in the NFL. You either have a QB that can lead you to a superbowl, or you don't.

There sure has been a lot of Texans and Dolphins talk during the off-season. Wonder how far that carries into the regular season.

Don't worry friend, once the cowboys start curb stomping everyone on their way to SB50, everyone will have no choice but to talk about #AmericasTeam

#BelieveinRomo

MechDX

QrEPgUD.jpg

Hey look I forgot I had a copy of the Texans Cycle jpeg!

1NNo3j5.png

Please forgive me Kave

Godslay

Banned
:jnc that's the best you got? Do you think you are talking to someone who thinks everything is bunnies and rainbows?

I am probably the most consistent person in NFL gaf to say you need a QB to win anything. Whenever anyone pops in and starts jacking off to the NFLs so called parity I am always calling them out. There is no parity in the NFL. You either have a QB that can lead you to a superbowl, or you don't.

So then what's your point?

You say you need a QB to win. The prior coach rarely had that, and you say he's a shitty coach. Yet when he did have a decent QB for a couple of seasons, he took you to the post-season and gave you the best season in your franchises limited history.

Here we are though proclaiming BOB to be some kind of savior who took an end of coaching life cycle 2 and 14 team, back to the average of what is essentially 8-8 and under the thumb of an elite Colts QB.

I guess we don't need bunnies and rainbows, when we have what amounts to the NFL equivalent of the movie Groundhog Day in the AFCS.

h1nch

I don't care what the haters say, I'm legit excited for Kubes as the Broncos head coach. Our running game is going to look better than it has in all the yrs since Shanahan's departure.

I also like that Kubes stepped in and straight up told Peyton that he's going to have to take practice days off. Peyton gets more rest, and Brosweiler gets more 1st team reps. Win/Win.

captive

So then what's your point?

You say you need a QB to win. The prior coach rarely had that, and you say he's a shitty coach. Yet when he did have a decent QB for a couple of seasons, he took you to the post-season and gave you the best season in your franchises limited history.

Here we are though proclaiming BOB to be some kind of savior who took an end of coaching life cycle 2 and 14 team, back to the average of what is essentially 8-8 and under the thumb of an elite Colts QB.

I guess when don't need bunnies and rainbows, when we have what amounts to the NFL equivalent of the move Groundhog Day in the AFCS.

again, you need to learn more Houston history if your going to continue to comment. Frankly that's what's annoying about you right now, you keep commenting on shit you don't know anything about.

He had Schaub since 07 all the way to 14, so it was quite a bit more than a "couple of years." Their first winning season wasn't until 09. They sucked in 10, and they didn't do shit all until Wade Phillips gave them a good defense in 11 and 12. That's one of the problems with Kubiak, he kept hiring his friends who had no business being in the positions they were in.
Then in 13, he kept wheeling out the headcase Schaub out there. Which, based on prior conversations in the past few days you believe was the correct decision.

Schaub is easily the best QB in Texans history, which admittedly isn't saying much.

So for O'Brien to go 9-7 with four different QBs as a first year head coach. It is my opinion that he is in fact a better coach than Kubiak was at this point in Kubiaks career.

So I guess my overall point is, you need to learn more about shit you want to talk about if your going to argue with people about it.

BigAT

Yup, sounds like the Giants alright:

Jordan Raanan ‏@JordanRaanan
Four of the #Giants original starting five offensive lineman not practicing today #giants

Line_HTX

I feel like Texans fans are always arguing.

We should all just be friends, and talk about how good Luck is and hope that he throws less INTs this year.
I should Tiger Knee you and have your nose broken like Cena. You lucky you aren't a Cowboys fan in these parts.

J/K You'd make a cool drinking buddy. Never a dull moment. =D

Were all mad as hell and are not taking it anymore.
image.php

texans fans are definitely the strangest of all, judging by this thread. what's in that houston water?
The water is great. Can I have your weather too? I don't think I'm strange. It's just too hot around here.

I need someone to argue with.
You have shit tastes in the
anime
you chose, you noob.
At least their wins are legit. Except that one lions game lol.
The Thanksgiving one?

Your punishment must be more severe.
You need to be deeply deep fried. And while you're at it, go get scratched by a cat.

Godslay

Banned
again, you need to learn more Houston history if your going to continue to comment. Frankly that's what's annoying about you right now, you keep commenting on shit you don't know anything about.

He had Schaub since 07 all the way to 14, so it was quite a bit more than a "couple of years." Their first winning season wasn't until 09. They sucked in 10, and they didn't do shit all until Wade Phillips gave them a good defense in 11 and 12. That's one of the problems with Kubiak, he kept hiring his friends who had no business being in the positions they were in.
Then in 13, he kept wheeling out the headcase Schaub out there. Which, based on prior conversations in the past few days you believe was the correct decision.

Schaub is easily the best QB in Texans history, which admittedly isn't saying much.

So for O'Brien to go 9-7 with four different QBs as a first year head coach. It is my opinion that he is in fact a better coach than Kubiak was at this point in Kubiaks career.

So I guess my overall point is, you need to learn more about shit you want to talk about if your going to argue with people about it.

I guess I don't know my Texans history. Can't blame me because outside of 12', it's been forgettable.

I said a couple of good seasons, not total seasons if you look back to my post. What years was Schaub good/above average? 09', 10', and 12'. 11' he was injured for part of the season. If I also recall correctly, the team was had a bunch of injuries? in 10' with a horrible secondary and defense. So 10's results aren't surprising.

What years did they either have a winning season or make the playoffs? 09', 11', and 12'. So is all the credit due to Wade? I guess so. I guess we can give all those offensive rushing and passing stats to Wade. Schaub and Foster had a damn good season in 12' as did the Texans defense, but fuck Kubes it was all Wade. Is it any surprise that a more balanced team on both sides of the ball results in a better team? No.

I will give Wade credit for shitting all over the AFCS in 2011. The line up of Collins/Painter/Orlovsky, Gabbert, and Hasselback is a goddamn murders row of QBs. Not to mention facing or taking down such notable QBs as Chad Henne, Jason Campbell, Colt McCoy, Josh Freeman, Andy Dalton. 2011 was a gap year when Manning died and you snuck in. It really didn't have much to do with Wade.

The thing that is surprising is the amount of backbending that is done to discredit the guy. He's not a defensive coach, he's an offensive minded guy who defers the defense to his coordinators. Were his defenses shitty for the most part? I think so, but I guess I don't care. He's home now, not stuck in Houston. You guys can continue to hate on him, until you get the same results with BOB. Only then will you see that your problems aren't all on the coach. The coach is just a sliver of what hits the field.

As a sidenote BOB's career and Kubes career with Houston are not directly comparable from the onset. Kubes started from the bottom, where BOB inherited a decent yet lopsided team. A bit different situation in my mind.

Line_HTX

20150805_texanstrainingcamp_btc_02.jpg

And then I told them that MechDX was secretly a Hoyer fan all along and wanted him to start just so he could pick up where he left off in Cleveland!

20150806_texanstrainingcamp_btc_46.jpg

Feeling sad and down and need a hug for the day? #GLOMP #SQUEAK

20150806_texanstrainingcamp_btc_75.jpg

Yeah, Mr. Luck. You are MINE for dinner tonight!

captive

So my son who will be 1 year later this month, has taken a shine to a football we have. He carries it every where with him while he walks around.

Crisco

Banned
Is the horror of having both a QB and a coach known as perennial chokers setting in for Broncos fans? I haven't seen this much denial since Ron Paul ran for President......

Bowser

I don't even know what your trying to argue anymore.

Also its not a cop out to pin success on Peyton. Dude carried Jim freaking Caldwell to an almost perfect season and the superbowl.

I really don't get the Caldwell hate, tbh I thought some of it was out of bounds to troubling levels. I saw a couple things that gave me pause last year (late game management and the conservatism of certain calls) but overall I think he did a really good job. Really my biggest complaint is that I think he fucked up picking his OC. If the offense doesn't take a leap this year Lombardi has to go. And once he's fired I sure as hell can't imagine him getting another OC job.

I mostly agree with this even though Manning choked it away. But I think Caldwell is actually a good offensive mind. Crap head coach, but he did work in Baltimore.

That or maybe Flacco is just fucking scary in the playoffs like Eli.

It's not Caldwell's fault if the Lion's suck. He didn't draft Matt Stafford.

Caldwell actually might not be that bad of a coach. Peep this from Barnwell's article on the Cards possibly backsliding this season:

The Manning thing made me wonder; I don’t think anybody is or was suggesting that Jim Caldwell is a great coach, but if you pretend that he wasn’t around for that Manning-less season in 2011, his teams have also greatly exceeded expectations. Caldwell’s Colts outperformed their point differential by 4.1 wins between 2009 and 2010, and in his first year with his new charges in Detroit, the Lions outperformed their point differential by 1.8 wins. For three of his four seasons, Caldwell looked like a stat-annihilating monster.

I’m not saying that to suggest Caldwell has this skill; I’m pointing it out to illuminate how this seeming-skill disappeared entirely once Caldwell lost his starting quarterback, given that the Colts were promptly 1.2 wins under their expected win total based on point differential when Manning missed all of 2011. It makes me think this is more of a quarterback-based skill than a coaching-specific asset. The existence of the 2012-2014 Indianapolis Colts, who have continued to exceed their Pythagorean expectation in 2013 (1.6 wins) and 2014 (1.0 wins) without Arians, also makes me lean in that direction.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/arizona-has-a-numbers-problem/

Godslay

Banned
Is the horror of having both a QB and a coach known as perennial chokers setting in for Broncos fans? I haven't seen this much denial since Ron Paul ran for President......

I'm not denying that Kubiak was average/below average in Houston. To pin everything on the coach is silly though. The coach maybe the figurehead, but the machinations of a team extend beyond the coach. An organization is comprised of more than one person.

That's why I laugh when it's all pinned on him.

As far as the choking stuff, paired with Kubes, it really is the best fit for Manning. Kubes work with Elway will extend to Manning. Whether that results in any success is up in the air. I'm optimistic, simply because the team is more talented, more so than what he had to work with in Houston.

As it is with all NFL seasons, nothing is certain.

So if that's denial, I guess I'll take my lumps.

Top Bottom