• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason 2014 |OT2| - It's only one week, deal with no new content!

Vyroxis

Banned
Wasn't that drawn out because it was a legal issue outside of the leagues control? Gordon was not arrested but failed a mandatory league drug test.

Basically Goodell can just say you broke a rule and here is a punishment allowed via the CBA. Take them to court or whatever but you are still suspended.

If I remember correctly, it had something to do with ingredients not being listed properly, or at all. It was messed up.

MechDX

Only thing I'm wondering about is why it is taking so long. Hell they didn't even officially announce he was suspended for the year it was leaked somehow.

PFT commented yesterday that the longer it takes the worse it is for the Browns. The day his suspension starts it would be one calendar year. So even if he got the suspension this Monday he would not be allowed into OTA's or TC next off season.

My opinion is Gordons camp is fighting the length of the suspension but it is a big gamble right now.

I disagree, I think the lack of suspension for Irsay, and the light wife beating suspension for Rice has given Rosy and Gordon a firm stance that he shouldn't lose a year of his career because of what is legal in a few states the NFL operates in. Add Blunt and Bell's trouble to the equation, and Gordon should get less then half a season.

You guys are looking at it the wrong way, he loses money, I doubt Gordon gives a shit if he plays for the no chance in hell of making the playoffs with Weeden/Hoyer/QB #400 in the past 10 years Browns. If he takes it to court, and he wins, he gets paid. If he takes an agreement, he loses a season's salary.

Once again the bolded does not matter in this situation. Agree or not it is clear in the league rules you can not use the substance.

Tom Penny

I didn't know mustard prevents cramps.

mustard-489x434.jpg

Talon

I disagree, I think the lack of suspension for Irsay, and the light wife beating suspension for Rice has given Rosy and Gordon a firm stance that he shouldn't lose a year of his career because of what is legal in a few states the NFL operates in. Add Blunt and Bell's trouble to the equation, and Gordon should get less then half a season.

You guys are looking at it the wrong way, he loses money, I doubt Gordon gives a shit if he plays for the no chance in hell of making the playoffs with Weeden/Hoyer/QB #400 in the past 10 years Browns. If he takes it to court, and he wins, he gets paid. If he takes an agreement, he loses a season's salary.
Turns out there's this little thing called an "employment agreement."

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
PFT commented yesterday that the longer it takes the worse it is for the Browns. The day his suspension starts it would be one calendar year. So even if he got the suspension this Monday he would not be allowed into OTA's or TC next off season.

My opinion is Gordons camp is fighting the length of the suspension but it is a big gamble right now.

Oddly enough seen some things feeling the longer it takes the better it might be for Gordon.

I really don't fault them for fighting it considering worst case you miss a full year as is expected. Just of course the sucky thing is when that full year would begin unless the league somehow makes it proactive from when they were supposed to suspend him...but we don't even know that because there hasn't been an official announcement of his suspension yet.

I just want it dealt with so we can move on.

zychi

Banned
Once again the bolded does not matter in this situation. Agree or not it is clear in the league rules you can not use the substance.

It shows that the league and CBA is slow to adjust to new laws, and that they STILL have yet to implement other illegal substances into the rules(hgh testing for example). It's just a shitshow all around

Turns out there's this little thing called an "employment agreement."

But when other employees are given special treatment around the "agreement" then people like Gordon end up with a legal stance. See: Rice or Irsay

I think he's waiting it out because it was his first time failing a test for pot, the amount in his sample wouldn't have been a positive in any other professional sport league, and the NFL and NFLPA are for sure going to come up with a new drug policy regarding marijuana. If he loses a year of his career for something that in a few months wouldn't even be a suspension, it's completely unfair. I think the NFL caves, because if it goes to court Gordon is playing until the case is resolved. He's got some leverage.

eznark

Banned

CBA

MechDX

It shows that the league and CBA is slow to adjust to new laws, and that they STILL have yet to implement other illegal substances into the rules(hgh testing for example). It's just a shitshow all around

Don't disagree but it just is not relevant in this case.

I laugh at the second hand smoke issue as well. If you know the rules of your job why would you even put yourself in the position to risk the second hand smoke?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I think the most Browns thing that could happen here is Gordon wins this appeal and isn't suspended.

They go into week 1 and pull out a miraculous win in Pittsburgh. Hours before the home opener it is announced Josh Gordon has failed another drug test and is suspended for the year.

At the same time a stray meteor hits Johnny Manziel.

MechDX

I think the most Browns thing that could happen here is Gordon wins this appeal and isn't suspended.

They go into week 1 and pull out a miraculous win in Pittsburgh. Hours before the home opener it is announced Josh Gordon has failed another drug test and is suspended for the year.

I can get behind this kave.

Baby-Hugging-Cat.gif

squeeee

Narag

• Hoyer blows out his other ACL.
  • Vince Young signs with the Browns to replace him.

Vyroxis

Banned

That would end up being one hell of a circus.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

I know you're saying CBA but Goddell likes money more and Gordon is playing with Manziel this season.

If I had to bet, I'd say Gordon doesn't get the full season because I imagine the league has some discretion for how strict of a punishment they want to enforce.

LJ11

The Panthers just have zero depth and it showed last night. The starters did ok but the 2nd and 3rd string were just out classed. This is again a "fuck Hurney" situation. When you're forced to fill starters roles with UDFAs and bargin bin scraps, imagine how bad the backups are.

They have very little around Cam right now. At least they've nabbed some quality defensive players the last few years, and Davis is someway somehow playing extremely good football. Offense is the real problem, very little on the roster.

Can't wait to watch EJ today!

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why I even bother to visit the OT section of this forum anymore. So pathetic.

Top Bottom