• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason 2014 |OT2| - It's only one week, deal with no new content!

So I usually watch the Super Bowl every year. It started when I was in the US when there was the Cardinals vs Steelers Super Bowl and I had a good time watching it in a bar.

Recently I finished watching Friday Night Lights series and then started playing Madden.

Now my appreciation and understanding of the sport has grown I think I'll try to watch this entire season. I don't really have a team, should I just pick one and start following, is there one specific team that will be more interesting this season or should I just pick the best game each round?

Also, is there anything else I should do?
Re: picking a team, do you like defense or offense more?

You should consider checking out the American Football 101 thread! It's dormant now, but with any luck it'll see some use once the season starts up...

cajunator

Banned
So I usually watch the Super Bowl every year. It started when I was in the US when there was the Cardinals vs Steelers Super Bowl and I had a good time watching it in a bar.

Recently I finished watching Friday Night Lights series and then started playing Madden.

Now my appreciation and understanding of the sport has grown I think I'll try to watch this entire season. I don't really have a team, should I just pick one and start following, is there one specific team that will be more interesting this season or should I just pick the best game each round?

Perhaps you could watch this season without picking a team and study how they do things and choose one after?

I know it's the giants but i thought Geno looked miles better than last season, Amaro was great and the offense overall actually function like a real offense (which is a sad feeling to have but after sanchez and last year you take what you can get)
Hope the Allen injury isn't serious. Makes a thin secondary basically non existent.

Gobias

Banned
I already mentioned it like three times, but Bortles looked great tonight and has looked great all preseason. Great arm, good accuracy, and looks good in the pocket. Just throw Henne to the road because he is a perfect example of how some rookie QBs can start right away. Congrats Jags fans

He will probably bust now.

mr2xxx

Banned

Play fantasy football or pick a team. Don't jump on a winning team, no one respects that. NFL GAF respects misery and top teams in that department are 1. Browns 2. Jags 3.AFC east except Pats 4.Texans

Just start paying attention to football news and channels. Start watching games during the season, and you'll find a specific team you'll find yourself following for your own reasons.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Watch as many teams as you can this season then make a decision AFTER doing PROPER RESEARCH on the history of the teams you are interested in to see if they've been historically shit or are turning the corner.

Also be sure to consult with friends and even this community on where you're leaning. I implore you to make sure you consult with a bunch of people about the teams you are thinking of.

You don't want eternal sadness...trust me.

rando14

The Rams are playing tonight?

iw042sEyyOI7d.gif

Watch as many teams as you can this season then make a decision AFTER doing PROPER RESEARCH on the history of the teams you are interested in to see if they've been historically shit or are turning the corner.

Also be sure to consult with friends and even this community on where you're leaning. I implore you to make sure you consult with a bunch of people about the teams you are thinking of.

:jnc

Poor kave.

Welcome to the Chiefs, the worst things our (current) players have done is smoke a little weed!

Pats are looking pretty good tonight. I know he's going up against twos and threes, but jimmy garoppolo is looking like a solid QB. If he can continue to grow in the Pats organization I might not be so afraid of the post Brady era.

Freeman

Banned
I hear rooting for the Browns is a good time.

I'll think about it.

Re: picking a team, do you like defense or offense more?

You should consider checking out the American Football 101 thread! It's dormant now, but with any luck it'll see some use once the season starts up...

Thanks. I appreciate a good defense I suppose, I was watching a documentary showing some Super Bowl games of the past and it felt like when a team that relied more on its defense won it felt more heroic.

ShaneB

Welcome aboard! I am just going to echo what others have said.

Do not feel like you have to rush in picking a team. Just start watching more games when you can, get to understand the sport more, the powerhouses, the underdogs, who to like and hate, players you like, etc etc. Just follow it and perhaps picking a team will start to feel more natural. It just has to feel right!

I say this as a casual fan of the sport for years who felt like finally picking a team, and it never felt right at all until I really got into the sport a lot more, and then it all changed!

This reminds me that maybe I should watch Friday Night Lights as well.

cajunator

Banned
I'll think about it.

Thanks. I appreciate a good defense I suppose, I was watching a documentary showing some Super Bowl games of the past and it felt like when a team that relied more on its defense won it felt more heroic.

I love a great offense but yeah a decent defense is practically essential.
The feeling you get when your team makes a timely interception in the super bowl is unmatched I promise you that.

Freeman

Banned
Perhaps you could watch this season without picking a team and study how they do things and choose one after?
Play fantasy football or pick a team. Don't jump on a winning team, no one respects that. NFL GAF respects misery and top teams in that department are 1. Browns 2. Jags 3.AFC east except Pats 4.Texans
Just start paying attention to football news and channels. Start watching games during the season, and you'll find a specific team you'll find yourself following for your own reasons.
Yea, I guess the more reasonable approach is to just start watching some game and if one Team manages to win me over I'll stick with it. Denver Broncos start with an advantage because it was the state I lived when I was in the USA (I made the mistake of not going to a game...), but I don't really know them much. I like how cool most teams sound and they usually have a very interesting story.

I was lying don't do it!
So was I.

Mindlog

Just don't choose the Panthers.
Or Saints.
LOL as if the Falcons were a choice.

FFR9W7I.gif

vikki

Has Garoppolo actually looked as impressive as his stats show? Haven't been able to see him at all yet.

He's looked timid a few times, but tonight he looks a little more comfortable. His numbers are decent, but it's preseason so it's hard to say how good he is so far.

lj167

Who do you generally play as in Madden? I'd start messing around with different teams there. Just don't pick a team that's too good, no one likes gloryhunters.

Yea, I guess the more reasonable approach is to just start watching some game and if one Team manages to win me over I'll stick with it. Denver Broncos start with an advantage because it was the state I lived when I was in the USA (I made the mistake of not going to a game...), but I don't really know them much. I like how cool most teams sound and they usually have a very interesting story.

Whatever you do....always hate the pats, no matter what!

Has Garoppolo actually looked as impressive as his stats show? Haven't been able to see him at all yet.
He looks pretty good good but he's not perfect. He does some really good things, but he also makes some rookie mistakes. Give him a few years and he might make for a good NFL QB. Of course we should keep in mind that it's only preseason and he has been playing mostly against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

cajunator

Banned

My team was hot garbage for 43 years then they won a super bowl. It can happen. The right coach, QB, players come together and wonderful things happen.
Seahawks finally got one last year. Most teams have either won, been to SB, or gotten to the NFC/AFC championship game. Free agency really evens the playing field as long as the front offices are competent.

Top Bottom