• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason 2014 |OT2| - It's only one week, deal with no new content!

Godslay

Banned
The Patriots lost more key players though.

5 on defense 2 on offense for Pats

5 on defense 1 on offense for Broncos.

Why were we able to stop Brady and you weren't able to stop Manning?

Better team depth or did the Pats just shit the bed? I don't really know but that game was not close at all in retrospect. Doesn't mean much for this year though as we both have somewhat different defenses.

Is there any mid week games or do they only play on the weekend?

I think everyone plays on Thursday to get ready for kick off in two weeks.

Edit: Oh you meant in the season, usually on Monday and now Thursdays, then we get a few Saturday games toward the end of the season (Or we used too)

Is there any mid week games or do they only play on the weekend?
All of the remaining preseason games are this coming Thursday.

During the regular season there is one game on Thursday night, a bunch of games on Sunday in three different time slots (one at night), and one game on Monday night. I'm talking in EST terms so you'll have to adjust it to wherever you are.

Bread

Banned
Slay no one was disparaging the Broncos when they said that the Pats were hurting going into the game, stop turning it into an argument it looks dumb for both sides involved.

Steelers Depot @Steelersdepot · 28s
The #Steelers have released OL Chris Elkins and Emmanuel McCray, DL Hebron Fangupo and Brian Arnfelt, LS Luke Ingram and RB Tauren Poole.

Get us to 75

Steelers cut the savior of the team, Brian Arnfelt.

Falling out of love with preseason guys best thing I ever did.

Niven

Recently the NFL has moved some games to Thursday nights but those tend to be terrible since the players are not ready to go usually.

I think everyone plays on Thursday to get ready for kick off in two weeks.

Edit: Oh you meant in the season, usually on Monday and now Thursdays, then we get a few Saturday games toward the end of the season (Or we used too)

At least 1 game on Thursday almost every week, but other than that, weekend games.

All of the remaining preseason games are this coming Thursday.

During the regular season there is one game on Thursday night, a bunch of games on Sunday in three different time slots (one at night), and one game on Monday night. I'm talking in EST terms so you'll have to adjust it to wherever you are.

Thank you, now I'll have to look and decided what games to watch from the ones on Thursday

Godslay

Banned
Slay no one was disparaging the Broncos when they said that the Pats were hurting going into the game, stop turning it into an argument it looks dumb for both sides involved.

I'm just saying can't really use the hurt argument when both teams had key guys injured. Neither team was full strength going in.

You guys still arguing about injuries?

Normally i'd say you're both losers and leave it at that, but the Pats stood no chance. No Gronk, Brady inaccurate than a motherfucker and the best skill position Julian freakin' Edelman.

TheFatOne

5 on defense 2 on offense for Pats

5 on defense 1 on offense for Broncos.

Why were we able to stop Brady and you weren't able to stop Manning?

Better team depth or did the Pats just shit the bed? I don't really know but that game was not close at all in retrospect. Doesn't mean much for this year though as we both have somewhat different defenses.

That answer is pretty simple. Lost Gronk which forced them to rely on rookie receivers, and amendola. Do you remember the Pats had to use Austin Collie on offense during that game? That's when you know the situation is bad. Gronk is the Pats offense and it's hard to replicate a guy like that. Going into the season there was a lot of turn over at the WR position, and once they lost Gronk it was over on offense. It didn't matter if you had a shit defense you could stop the Pats terrible offense.If you look at Bradys numbers with and without Gronk especially in the end zone it's insane. Teams could just play press man across the board and double Edelman and it was gg.

You could also play your safeties closer because there was zero threat of any player beating you on a long pass. That obviously helps defenses. Pats couldn't stop Manning because Talib went down, and even when he was in it seemed like the Broncos were stopping themselves not the Pats. Once he went down it was over for the Pats defense. Manning just kept finding the mis matches all night. Game got close if I remember correctly because one of your corners got injured, and Brady starting picking on the replacement. I'm not sure if I remember that correctly though.

I'm just saying can't really use the hurt argument when both teams had key guys injured. Neither team was full strength going in.
The difference was that you lost no one of importance on offense.

Pats remaining cuts+moves:

The Patriots released the following players: DL Ben Bass, DB Travis Hawkins, WR Derrick Johnson, LB Deontae Skinner, DB Jemea Thomas and WR Wilson Van Hooser.

In addition, the Patriots placed rookie RB Tyler Gaffney and rookie LB Cameron Gordon on injured reserve.

Jemea Thomas lost his spot when Butler shined

Niven

I was reading the stuff on the teams in the op and the video's on the some of the players in the Cleveland browns one is really cool do many teams do that sort of thing?

Fox318

0fOsMSB.png

I was reading the stuff on the teams in the op and the video's on the some of the players in the Cleveland browns one is really cool do many teams do that sort of thing?

The Dolphins media dept has improved a lot in the last few season, they post a ton of videos for fans of players, coaches, cheerleaders, you might want to check them out.

Bowser

Football Outsiders' "Race" for #1 Overall in 2015; Note: percentage denotes 4-12 or worse record over one million simulations (also, believe this was pre-Bradford ACL tear)

1. Oakland - 38.5%
  2. Jacksonville - 23.1%
  3. Miami - 20.4%
    [*]Detroit - 20.2%
  4. Cleveland - 18.4%
  5. Kansas City - 17.8%
  6. Dallas - 16.9%
  7. Washington - 14.3%
  8. Houston - 13.6%
  9. Arizona - 13.1%

Someone sound the Kas alarm!

eznark

Banned
Football Outsiders' "Race" for #1 Overall in 2015; Note: percentage denotes 4-12 or worse record over one million simulations (also, believe this was pre-Bradford ACL tear)

1. Oakland - 38.5%
  2. Jacksonville - 23.1%
  3. Miami - 20.4%
    [*]Detroit - 20.2%
  4. Cleveland - 18.4%
  5. Kansas City - 17.8%
  6. Dallas - 16.9%
  7. Washington - 14.3%
  8. Houston - 13.6%
  9. Arizona - 13.1%

No trolling, I'm actually surprised Carolina wasn't in that list. The FO projections seemed to really hate them when the book was published this year.

I've said all off-season that Miami will be the most surprisingly awful team. Glad science backs me up.

1. Oakland - 38.5%
  2. Jacksonville - 23.1%
    [*]Miami - 20.4%
    [*]Detroit - 20.2%
  3. Cleveland - 18.4%
  4. Kansas City - 17.8%
  5. Dallas - 16.9%
  6. Washington - 14.3%
  7. Houston - 13.6%
  8. Arizona - 13.1%

smh we aren't that bad

You'd have to be straight up mentally handicapped to think we even have the slightest of chances of being that bad. If we had to roll with Stanton the whole year we still wouldn't have any remote chance of ending with the worst record.

1. Oakland - 38.5%
  2. Jacksonville - 23.1%
  3. Miami - 20.4%
    [*]Detroit - 20.2%
  4. Cleveland - 18.4%
  5. Kansas City - 17.8%
  6. Dallas - 16.9%
  7. Washington - 14.3%
  8. Houston - 13.6%
  9. Arizona - 13.1%

Meh, we're always no.1 pre-season. We'll end up winning just enough to lose out on any top talent but still pick top 5 most likely.

Bowser

No trolling, I'm actually surprised Carolina wasn't in that list. The FO projections seemed to really hate them when the book was published this year.

I've said all off-season that Miami will be the most surprisingly awful team. Glad science backs me up.

I'm surprised as well honestly. The schedule is really, really tough, and historically, a subpar offensive line combined with a subpar secondary is a recipe for disaster.

That said, I'm still cautiously optimistic that this team can eke out 9 wins. Realistically, if everything breaks right the ceiling is 10, and if everything goes wrong, the floor is 5 IMO.

I think in the end they'll go 9-7. Will that be enough for a WC spot? Unfortunately, I don't think so...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

1. Oakland - 38.5%
  2. Jacksonville - 23.1%
  3. Miami - 20.4%
    [*]Detroit - 20.2%
  4. Cleveland - 18.4%
  5. Kansas City - 17.8%
  6. Dallas - 16.9%
  7. Washington - 14.3%
  8. Houston - 13.6%
  9. Arizona - 13.1%

Does this Cleveland percentage come just from their pick or is Buffalo's included as well? If its the latter that percentage seems low.

Bowser

For some more background, here's the methodology (which is actually what they use for their Almanac):

We won't likely see huge falls like that this season, but in our book "Football Outsiders Almanac 2014," we forecast the upcoming season with a complicated formula that accounts for everything from performance the last two years to personnel changes to injury history. Then we run one million simulations of the season, accounting for all the randomness and unknown variables that will also have an impact.

Does this Cleveland percentage come just from their pick or is Buffalo's included as well? If its the latter that percentage seems low.

It's only team performance. Speaking of Buffalo, surprised they didn't make the list either.

You act like the Broncos were perfectly healthy.

Von Miller, Chris Harris, Kevin Vickerson, Ryan Clady, Raheem Moore, Derek Wolfe were all injured for the AFC Championship.

Not to mention a hobbled Champ Bailey, an old ass LB who I can't even remember his name who played in the XFL, and backups who all are pretty much gone held Brady in check.

Pot Roast, Irving, and Trevathan are all that remain from that starting squad iirc.

Now it could have been a bad game by the Pats, or the injuries, but they looked real bad that day facing a depleted defense. Cant really use the injury excuse when key players on both sides were gone.

Brady's passes were just to good that day!

Top Bottom