• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

eznark

Banned
"Extending" him doesn't mean he is their QB for 6 years. It means they control him for 6 years.

Like Eznark said, I'm sure this will be more team-friendly than the initial estimates suggest. Ultimately, the Bengals had no choice. They have a stacked team and can't afford to start over again with a rookie quarterback. They're not about to let Dalton walk after this season and hand the reins to AJ McCarron. You've gotta pay the QB.

Yeah, given the cap space this is such a no-brainer. Even if they end up slightly overpaying in order to get a favorable structure it's a good deal. About the only way this deal sucks is if they spread it out too long. The money is almost irrelevant.

But I bet he's pretty cheap.

Greg

Like Eznark said, I'm sure this will be more team-friendly than the initial estimates suggest. Ultimately, the Bengals had no choice. They have a stacked team and can't afford to start over again with a rookie quarterback. They're not about to let Dalton walk after this season and hand the reins to AJ McCarron. You've gotta pay the QB.
I forgot about this

Dalton is worth all the money

I'm not assuming anything, have said repeatedly if they gave him a ton of guaranteed money it was stupid. I am shitting on people for refusing to recognize that NFL total dollar amounts are completely meaningless.
...and those numbers are usually given to the media by the players agents to make themselves look good. Or the player himself announces it via twitter in an effort to show how much he's made out without talking details.

eznark

Banned
...and those numbers are usually given to the media by the players agents to make themselves look good. Or the player himself announces it via twitter in an effort to show how much he's made out without talking details.

Yeah, it's always the agents that leak this shit. As long as the perception is "HE GOT PAID!!!!!!!!!!!" the agent did their job. Fans are apparently too stupid to understand NFL contracts which really, are far simpler than any other sport.

Guaranteed money is how much the player got
Years is how long they are a slave to the team that gave them the guaranteed money

No other numbers are relevant until the next year. Even incentives, annual salaries and everything else are mostly irrelevant as the big numbers almost never hit until the player is so old they have to restructure or get cut. Most teams never run into "bad" contract situations. Unless Mike Mayhew is your GM.

Pretty much. Take that, players who did pretty well financially! - Fan who's doing pretty poorly in comparison

Mark Sanchez could buy all of us and sell half of us, you think Dalton won't be able to say the same at least?

Pimpwerx

Yeah, it's always the agents that leak this shit. As long as the perception is "HE GOT PAID!!!!!!!!!!!" the agent did their job. Fans are apparently too stupid to understand NFL contracts which really, are far simpler than any other sport.

Guaranteed money is how much the player got
Years is how long they are a slave to the team that gave them the guaranteed money

No other numbers are relevant until the next year. Even incentives, annual salaries and everything else are mostly irrelevant as the big numbers almost never hit until the player is so old they have to restructure or get cut. Most teams never run into "bad" contract situations. Unless Mike Mayhew is your GM.
You don't think most people in this thread know NFL contracts are not guaranteed? It's always the offer sheet that's scoffed at. The offer of that kind of money and years alone is funny. The NFLPA has the worst union of the big3 sports, so money is never what it seems. However, the offers are always worth a laugh. Teams rarely hamstring themselves longterm financially in the NFL. It's the offer that's worth a laugh. PEACE.

Striker

That Bengal offense is loaded. No excuse for Dalton to keep going out there in big games and failing again. He's a young QB, and there's plenty of time to improve, but the talent is built in place for them to really make noise. The only strong competition is the Broncos.

Dragon

Banned
eznark is going back on ignore. he's only going to get worse once the season starts and Rodgers turns into Godgers.

eznark

Banned
You don't think most people in this thread don't know NFL contracts are not guaranteed?
Based on the reactions to every contract announced? No, I don't think most people in this thread understand NFL contracts, or choose to ignore the realities for lulz.

That Bengal offense is loaded. No excuse for Dalton to keep going out there in big games and failing again. He's a young QB, and there's plenty of time to improve, but the talent is built in place for them to really make noise. The only strong competition is the Broncos.

He lacks awareness. And I don't really think you can teach that. He'll always be inconsistent at best.

That's why they brought in Big Game AJ!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

I was confused by your post but then I realized you meant in all of the AFC.

That might be a fair assessment.\

Is it safe? Are the animus gone?

No they infected Mech. The whole thread needs to be quarantined.

Bread

Banned
lmao god dammit tom

mallett save us all

Im happy for Dalton!

dances
WTF.gif

eznark

Banned
Andy Brandt said:
Would expect $20-$25M in first year but contract below Romo/Rodgers/Ryan/Flacco/Cutler market: $20M average, $52-$59M guaranteed.

If this is true we can all laugh together

Drakeon

That's Brandt's guess for Dalton's deal. The $22m for year one is smart, since that's their cap space in 2014. But another $30m guaranteed?! If that's what it ends up being that is dumb as fuck.

:jnc :jnc :jnc if that's even remotely true.

The 49ers front office are wizards for getting Kap at $12.3 million guaranteed.

Where my Who Dats at? I know I'm not the only Saints fan lurking these boards. ASSEMBLE!

SIde Note:

Mr. Dalton is called the "Red Rifle" for a reason.

eznark

Banned
Are we misreading that tweet? I think maybe.

Rodgers got $52m guaranteed. So I think Brandt is saying that Dalton is getting more than Kaps $12m but less than the premium of $52m.

Basically the smart structure would be similar to Kaepernick's pay-as-you-go except that the Bengals have the cap space to pay all of Dalton's guaranteed money this year. Hence the first year salary of $22m potentially.

Top Bottom